Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:58   #286
BHPian

Re: Maruti XL6 : Official Review

As promised, here’s the update. I went and test drove some used Crystas. But, all examples in my budget were close to 1 lakh km run ones. They were good, but the extensive use shows on the interiors. Wife wasn’t impressed and neither was I. It was very car like to drive in spite of its size, but still felt a tad too big especially for a city like Mumbai.

Then, I tried looking for a used Hexa but there are hardly any used ones out there, let alone good ones. The two I looked at seemed abused. Hard pass.

Finally, I went and test drove the XL6 with 3 different showrooms. One had its original test vehicle from 2019 (as per the VIN) and the other two had late 2020 models. In all 3, wife and I both felt comfortable mainly due to the immediate difference in seating height. The suspension travel also seems to be more, which makes potholes easier to deal with. Power was adequate in the AT, but my gut feel was that it was easier for me to predict power delivery as compared to the CVT in the City. I also liked the throaty note of the engine when giving it the beans. Would have been nice to have at least a 5 speed auto, but even the 4 speed is better than a CVT, as per me. As mentioned by you guys, the lightness is still there, but I didn’t feel like I was going lighter than the City. More like the same.

The Bhandup Nexa dealer also gave a good on road price, so we ended up booking a Magma Grey Zeta AT. Loan should be approved in the next couple of days and delivery might take a week.

Planned accessories so far are reverse camera and led scuff plates at the dealer. I definitely want to get dual tone leather seat covers, so any leads in the Thane area are appreciated. Other accessories planned are Creta type horn, white led bulbs for interior lights, maybe footwell lights, grass mats, UV blocking film on windows, window shades. I have some friends telling me to upgrade the screen to a Tesla type 10 inch screen but I’m not sure of that. Also unsure of door visors since I never drive without AC. I think it might help to change the tyres as well. Will going to 195/60 R15 void warranty?

Sometimes, 7 of us go on trips. Not sure yet whether I want to put in a 7th seat between the captain seats or not, but I’m going to need a luggage solution. Is there any such thing as a plug and play roof carrier? I wouldn’t want to have it on all the time because it looks ugly. Wouldn’t mind spending an hour or so putting it on and removing it whenever needed.

Anyway, happy to hear your suggestions, if any.
sumobom4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:53   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Bought mine on 1st July.
Clocked 1400km. Adding 500km more tomorrow.

Shifted to 16 inch + 205/55 Yokos. Sharing some pics
Hi,

XL6 looks even better with bigger rims. I am planning to purchase XL6 zeta variant (manual). If possible, please do help in clarifying below queries:

1. Will shifting to a higher alloy size, have an effect on warranty. Will it have any effect on the speedometer readings

2. What is the best way to change alloys, at the dealer itself or aftermarket

3. What was the cost of fitment of the reverse parking camera and was it integrated with the company provided touch screen

4. Is there a recommendation on reducing the outside noise in the car (door damping etc.)

Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:46   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
3. What was the cost of fitment of the reverse parking camera and was it integrated with the company provided touch screen
I am getting this work done. Dealer hasn't confirmed exact cost, but he did confirm that it is using the company provided wiring and integrated with the touchscreen. I will update the price when I have it.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th August 2021 at 16:58. Reason: Quote trimmed.
sumobom4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:21   #289

Finally, brought home my unicorn : XL6 Alpha MT Arctic White !

Few observations from booking to delivery :

1) Car availability is real challenge during pandemic and chip shortages. High vehicle sales have added to the woes, and dealers are aware to cash this situation. I had booked at Nexa Kondapur but even after 10 days, wasn't given a date of delivery. However, negotiated to get spoiler and chrome kit included.

2) Ended up calling 3 other dealers at jubilee hills, Banjara hills and Kukatpally. Luckily 2 of them confirmed availability got

3) Finally went ahead with Nexa Jubilee hills and cancelled booking at kondapur. Nexa quoted exorbitant amount for each accessories but I had already checked MGA so contradicted them about price. Sales Manager had to intervene for us and agreed to include chrome kit complementary. Sales Rep later revealed that the price they quote has premium over and above MGA, and they have margins to discount them(showcase it as favour to the customer).
Folks keen to get accessories at showroom while purchasing, do check the price quotation w.r.t MGA, to avoid paying premium.

4) Sales representative allowed to see the car a day before delivery, let me do the PDI as per Team-BHP's checklist, VIN/Chassis with date of manufacturing (got Aug manufactured), and walked me through accessories section to choose from and than only final amount (pending ~ 95%) payment was released.

5) Opted for spoiler, chrome kit and window shades, and skipped basic kit of perfume/cushions/idol/tissue box etc. Have opted for mats including boot separately. Personally, felt ~ 10 k spent judiciously rather than opting their default basic accessory kit.

6) Insurance : quote had options from Universal Sompo/Tata/Go Digit/Iffco/HDFC Ergo but Sales team insisted to stick to Go Digit quote as per Maruti Suzuki irrespective of lower premium options. Couldn't digest this one and but sales person defended that it is not dealer driven but Maruti's recommendation only. Anyhow, premium difference was 3k and this part seemed non negotiable so left it as is.

7) Overall smooth process from booking to payment and small balance amount paid during delivery day (recommended, just in case accessories availability issues). Got 5 ltr complimentary fuel coupon (on presumably dry fuel tank !)

8) Completed puja and couldn't resist cruising around, and clocked 160 kms (including showroom's initial 34 kms) on day 1.

Special thanks to Leoshashi and fellow BHPians for bringing awesome clarity around XL6 ownership.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-image-1.png

Unicorn in our stable

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-image-2.png

On a sunny day

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd August 2021 at 23:27. Reason: Rectified image format. Thanks.
ermks279 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:42   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
XL6 looks even better with bigger rims. I am planning to purchase XL6 zeta variant (manual). If possible, please do help in clarifying below queries:
1. Refer the thread posted here (Maruti Ertiga : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread), explains clearly around speed variations

2. Checked with 2 Nexa dealers and they both refused categorically to change/swap alloys at dealership, and recommended to get it done outside (specifically Hyderabad).

3. Refer MGA Camera. Wiring is available in 2021 XL6 and works seamlessly (plug and play) with infotainment.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th August 2021 at 16:58. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 24th August 2021, 00:14   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermks279 View Post
Finally, brought home my unicorn : XL6 Alpha MT Arctic White !
Congrats on the new car! She’s a looker in white. The black cladding makes for a striking contrast against the white colour. May you have many enjoyable miles with her.
Old 27th August 2021, 20:03   #292
BHPian

Alright! Exciting update! The car is now in the yard near Panvel. But it seems the registration will take some time to get done. So, we have set delivery for Thursday morning. Plan is to drive straight from the showroom to a good tyre shop and get better tyres. Still unsure of the size. Our very own Leoshashi's upgrade to 195/65 R15 seems to be the best with a slight increase in GC, but am still on the fence due to potential warranty void issue. Either way, tyre change will be done, so I am still looking for suggestions both, in terms of tyre and shop in the Eastern suburbs area of Mumbai (Thane or Vashi maybe).

After that, the plan is to get accessories like seat covers, mats etc. Will upload pics here and write up an initial ownership review when I can find some time.
Old 27th August 2021, 21:28   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
Alright! Exciting update! The car is now in the yard near Panvel. But it seems the registration will take some time to get done.
Many congratulations, the car arrived fairly quickly.

Quote:
So, we have set delivery for Thursday morning. Plan is to drive straight from the showroom to a good tyre shop and get better tyres. Still unsure of the size. Our very own Leoshashi's upgrade to 195/65 R15 seems to be the best with a slight increase in GC, but am still on the fence due to potential warranty void issue. Either way, tyre change will be done, so I am still looking for suggestions both, in terms of tyre and shop in the Eastern suburbs area of Mumbai (Thane or Vashi maybe).
See if you are scared about steering and suspension warranty being void, stick to stock size, but I highly recommend getting better tyres in stock size. The OE Ecopias are horrible, and it's best to discard them when they have some value. In stock size, Continental UC6 is the best bet right now.

If any issue arises wrt Steering/Suspension, Maruti will have full rights to reject your claim if anything other than OE Rims and OE size tyres are installed.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 00:25   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
See if you are scared about steering and suspension warranty being void, stick to stock size, but I highly recommend getting better tyres in stock size. The OE Ecopias are horrible, and it's best to discard them when they have some value. In stock size, Continental UC6 is the best bet right now.

If any issue arises wrt Steering/Suspension, Maruti will have full rights to reject your claim if anything other than OE Rims and OE size tyres are installed.

Regards,
Shashi
That makes sense. I think I’ll not risk it then and stick to stock. I’ll start calling up dealers around to see if they’ve got Conti UC6 in 185/65 R15. Looks like I got some weekend research to do! 😄
sumobom4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:01   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
That makes sense. I think I’ll not risk it then and stick to stock. I’ll start calling up dealers around to see if they’ve got Conti UC6 in 185/65 R15. Looks like I got some weekend research to do! 😄
Were you able to find UC6 in stock size? I'm from Hyderabad and took delivery of my XL-6 last week. Called several dealers but couldn't find Michelin or UC6 stock.
Old 12th September 2021, 13:26   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrak View Post
Were you able to find UC6 in stock size? I'm from Hyderabad and took delivery of my XL-6 last week. Called several dealers but couldn't find Michelin or UC6 stock.
Found them at both Stunnerz Gatchibowli and also at Ashoka Wheels. Stunnerz offered exchange rate of Rs.3800 per tyre of my stock ecopias and new UC6 of stock size, current year manufacture, are quoted at Rs.5600. I've changed all 5 tyres there yesterday.

However, after changing tyres, he didn't do any wheel alignment, saying its not needed for new cars, even though he charged Rs.700 towards fitting charges. Is that normal? Also, I don't see the blue dots alighned propertly with the valve from the tyre as LeoShashi mentioned in his post. I'm waiting on my TPMS from Manatec and I need to align those anyway, so didn't worry much on that front.

Best,
Chandra
Old 14th September 2021, 12:26   #297
Senior - BHPian

Last week I took a long test drive of XL6 AT. This car was never in my shortlist due to it's MPV underpinnings.
I only took the test drive on my wife's insistence as her cousin got this car recently.
It was a fairly long test drive of over 30+kms including bumper to bumper traffic, moderate city traffic, few corners which could be taken at some decent speed and a long straight.
All I can say is I came back impressed and I was trying so hard to find faults and not like this car. Maruti has done a good job in providing a VFM 6 seater in XL6.
Loved the throaty engine note while accelerating and the comfortable seating option at the rear. My parents will be happy with the easy ingress and the captain seats at the rear.

My only gripe is the 4 speed AT gearbox, lack of diesel option and the build quality.

I feel the Zeta Manual offers better value if one is fine with MT. With the price just under 10L, quite a bit of saving on the road tax as well.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:33   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, question on behalf of my friend who has a XL6, 6-seater. He wants to know about this kind of add-on seat between the middle row captain seats.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-xl6-seat.jpg

Any info, please share. Good / not good ? Where can he find ? Cost ? Anything else .. esp reviews. It is mostly 4 people in the car, but occasional day trips are getting bigger. Hence the query from him.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:44   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, question on behalf of my friend who has a XL6, 6-seater. He wants to know about this kind of add-on seat between the middle row captain seats.

Attachment 2209347

Any info, please share. Good / not good ? Where can he find ? Cost ? Anything else .. esp reviews. It is mostly 4 people in the car, but occasional day trips are getting bigger. Hence the query from him.
Others can share their experience but looking at the image, I was wondering how comfortable would the fifth person be in that seat. The lateral back support of the captain seats are protruding in this fifth one. Add the seat belt base on either sides too. Anything more than a few kms might not be comfortable there.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 00:09   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Attachment 2209347

The seat is not very comfortable and is best used by kids. It costs around 6.5-7.5k. I’m still on the fence whether I should install it in my XL6.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks