Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 11:13   #1996
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: KA09/KA03/KL09
Posts: 79
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
Team,

I visited Kia showroom yesterday enquiring about the HTX manual. I came to know about the HTK+ iMT which seems to be real good value for money.

HTK+ iMT variant of the Seltos seems to be high in demand at the moment though I did not see a lot of it on the road.
This variant makes a lot of economic sense. The simplicity of a manual without the hassles of a clutch . Got the sunroof and Auto AC for the bling and priced within 15L on road in most cities. The IMT should be fairly reliable. They have been running in multiple cars from the Hyundai /Kia family. But clutch wear might be a concern though, although not sure . Only the long term reviews can confirm this.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 11:55   #1997
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Hi, I own an HTX IVT and wanted to seek opinion from this group on a recurring issue:

My designated parking is on an incline (~30degrees or so) and I park with nose of the car facing up. for the past couple of weeks I am hearing a loud clink whenever I start and move my car after being parked overnight.

I read on one of the threads, it could be due to the transmission pin getting disengaged. Post reading this I followed the following steps so that the weight of the car is not on the transmission:
> steady the car in position
> Pull the handbrake up in D mode, with foot on brakes
> move to N, with handbrake pulled and release foot on brakes
> when the car is steady post a bried jerk, move it to P

But even after following the above steps, I still hear the loud clunk. Could it be from the brakes? Shall I get this checked from service center?

thanks in advance, and look forward to your advise!!
gagan.84 is offline  
Old 27th September 2021, 12:00   #1998
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 100
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
This variant makes a lot of economic sense. The simplicity of a manual without the hassles of a clutch . Got the sunroof and Auto AC for the bling and priced within 15L on road in most cities. The IMT should be fairly reliable. They have been running in multiple cars from the Hyundai /Kia family. But clutch wear might be a concern though, although not sure . Only the long term reviews can confirm this.
I took a short test drive of Seltos iMT yesterday in crowded area where I needed frequent gearshifts. I did not feel any jerks and car was super easy to drive. The pickup seemed at par with the manual and you can pull the car in 2nd gear from a standstill.

One observation is that the car takes about a second before it starts creeping forward after you release the brakes and do not put your foot on the accelerator. I took the car on a slope(not steep) and the car did not roll back once I released the brakes but needed accelerator input to get going. The car does not have hill hold function and you might need to be quicker to accelerate to avoid roll back on steeper inclines.

The car does seem to be great value for money. My only grouse is the safety rating and this variant does not have ESP as well.
TheVegabond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:35   #1999
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: TS10/TS08
Posts: 411
Thanked: 836 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
this variant does not have ESP as well.
Since the ESP is the must for you, I'd suggest you to wait for HTX IMT variant, which Kia is launching soon and has safety features like ESP, TC, VSA, Hill Hold Assist, etc or if you want the proper AT vehicle, then I'd suggest you to stretch your budget a bit and go for HTX IVT, which has above safety features.

And, we are considering the Seltos GTX+ Diesel AT as the replacement for our 10 year old Innova. The reason for downgrading from an Innova to a Seltos/Creta is, we don't require a 7 seater anymore as well as our highway trips got reduced off late post-Covid and since the car is driven within the city limits most of the time and occasionally on highways, we felt that a Seltos or a Creta would suffice our needs. I liked everything about the Seltos and felt perfect for our needs. But, the only concern with the Seltos is its rear suspension, which is stiff as reported by the present Seltos owners. Since the car will be chauffeur driven most of the time and will be driven by dad as well, its stiff suspension is making me think whether to go for Seltos or Creta, which the suspension is tuned for the comfort.

Exactly a month ago, my mom had travelled in a Seltos GTX+ Diesel AT, which belongs to a close friend and since she travelled in that car, I asked her how's the rear seat comfort and leg space of Seltos and she replied that she felt the Seltos is same as Creta in terms of rear seat comfort and leg space and the rear seat leg space of the Seltos is as good as Creta. In fact, she felt the rear leg space in Seltos much better than the Nexon (different segment though), in which she travelled for couple of times. The above mentioned Seltos was bought in Feb this year and already crossed 10k Kms on the odo. When I asked my friend about his Seltos, he told that it is much better than his another car, a 2017 Creta Diesel AT and as per him, he is getting the FE of 13-14 Kmpl in city limits. He bought the Seltos despite having a Creta at home.

2 months ago, I had TD'ed a brand new Seltos Diesel AT with paddle shifters and new logo at a nearby showroom and those paddle shifters were a joy to use. Apparently, I felt this Seltos better than the previous one I drove at the same dealership and this time, the TD vehicle, which I drove was GTX+ Diesel AT while the previous one I drove was HTX+ Diesel AT.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 13:20   #2000
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 100
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Since the ESP is the must for you, I'd suggest you to wait for HTX IMT variant, which Kia is launching soon and has safety features like ESP, TC, VSA, Hill Hold Assist, etc or if you want the proper AT vehicle, then I'd suggest you to stretch your budget a bit and go for HTX IVT, which has above safety features.

I liked everything about the Seltos and felt perfect for our needs. But, the only concern with the Seltos is its rear suspension, which is stiff as reported by the present Seltos owners. Since the car will be chauffeur driven most of the time and will be driven by dad as well, its stiff suspension is making me think whether to go for Seltos or Creta, which the suspension is tuned for the comfort.
Not that ESP and hill hold are a must for me. My driving includes a lot of highway journeys and trips to my hometown in the remote hills of Uttarakhand, hence the focus on safety. Mind you, I am currently doing these runs in my humble grand i10 which does not have even the airbags; forget any other safety features. Apart from the flat low end while driving in the hills, I have not faced any issue.

I do not want to go beyond 16 lacs OTR and hence shortlisted Seltos HTK+ iMT, Hyundai Creta SX and eagerly waiting for MG Astor's prices to be out.

When it comes to comfort, I would say Creta is marginaly better than Seltos. The cabin space is identical and 4 adults would never complain while you can occassionally squeeze in 5 without much of a hassle.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 13:40   #2001
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: TS10/TS08
Posts: 411
Thanked: 836 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
I do not want to go beyond 16 lacs OTR and hence shortlisted Seltos HTK+ iMT, Hyundai Creta SX and eagerly waiting for MG Astor's prices to be out.

When it comes to comfort, I would say Creta is marginaly better than Seltos. The cabin space is identical and 4 adults would never complain while you can occassionally squeeze in 5 without much of a hassle.

Since you don't want to go beyond 16L OTR, why not have a look at Honda City? It might be a sedan with low GC but has oodles of leg space in rear seat and especially iVTEC engine, which is known for its performance. And, you get 6 airbags as well as safety features like ESP, TC.

Apart from HTK+ iMT, you should consider getting Seltos HTX MT as it is within the budget you mentioned and has extra safety features as well as bigger tyre size, which is not available in the HTK+ iMT, which you are considering.

One of my friends from different circle, who had bought a Seltos 1.5 Petrol MT last year, had considered HTK+ as well IIRC, but since he wanted sunroof and extra features, he went for the HTX variant eventually and couldn't be happier with it but, unfortunately, that variant missed those above mentioned safety features, which got introduced a few months after his purchase.

And, I felt the Seltos is not bad in terms of rear seat comfort and leg space, IMO.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:04   #2002
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 100
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Since you don't want to go beyond 16L OTR, why not have a look at Honda City? It might be a sedan with low GC but has oodles of leg space in rear seat and especially iVTEC engine, which is known for its performance. And, you get 6 airbags as well as safety features like ESP, TC.

Apart from HTK+ iMT, you should consider getting Seltos HTX MT as it is within the budget you mentioned and has extra safety features as well as bigger tyre size, which is not available in the HTK+ iMT, which you are considering.

And, I felt the Seltos is not bad in terms of rear seat comfort and leg space, IMO.
I am seriously considering the Honda City VX AT. But as I mentioned, I need to visit my hometown at least 4-5 times an year, the low GC coupled with soft suspension would make it a real issue to take the City there. My grand i10 has scrapped its bottom a few times when I took it there, the longer wheelbase of the City means that the problem would only increase.

Seltos HTX MT is a good option but for a little less I can get the Creta SX executive which excites my 6 year old kid with its panoromic sunroof.

The rear legroom is more than adequate in the Seltos. The comfort is slightly better in Creta.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:47   #2003
Senior - BHPian
 
Bibendum90949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 3,927 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

These mind boggling FE figures are shared by a fellow Seltos owner in the Kerala Seltos group. The journey is from Trivandrum to Alapuzha in the wee morning hours. It's a MT diesel. He has used cruise control intermittently. This is the highest I've ever seen on a diesel Seltos. Frugality at its best.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img20210930wa0073.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img20210930wa0066.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img20210930wa0072.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:13   #2004
Newbie
 
MasterChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Goa
Posts: 12
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagan.84 View Post
Hi, I own an HTX IVT and wanted to seek opinion from this group on a recurring issue:

I am hearing a loud clink whenever I start and move my car after being parked overnight.
Well, I also face the same issue (HTX IVT) even though I park on a flat surface. I always apply full handbrake after shifting to 'P' and move out of the parking in reverse. The sharp 'clunk' sound appears to come from the rear brakes/wheels, especially if the car is driven after a gap of a day or so. If I remember correctly, I read that the rear brakes get jammed up (due to water ingress during washing/rains), and while moving, even though the handbrake is removed, the sound comes as the wheels are freed from the brakes with force.

If you consult your service center, please share it here. I would also request others to chip in with their experience/thoughts.
MasterChief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:13   #2005
BHPian
 
Johnnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 102
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Need a quick suggestion for my friend who owns a Kia Seltos.
MAP sensor has been damaged due to rat bites and SC is quoting around 60k to fix the same with complete wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-s1.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-s2.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-s3.jpg  

Johnnny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:29   #2006
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post
Need a quick suggestion for my friend who owns a Kia Seltos.
MAP sensor has been damaged due to rat bites and SC is quoting around 60k to fix the same with complete wiring.
Oh that's scarry. I'll be interested to know what others have to say but curious to know if insurance would cover it. While purchasing insurance recently (not for Seltos) , I was told that they cover rat bite so I am curious if this scenario is insured.
Aviator_guy is online now  
Old 4th October 2021, 13:39   #2007
BHPian
 
Johnnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 102
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Oh that's scarry. I'll be interested to know what others have to say but curious to know if insurance would cover it. While purchasing insurance recently (not for Seltos) , I was told that they cover rat bite so I am curious if this scenario is insured.
It is covered under Insurance after per my friend's convo with the SC guy. But still would it cost around 60k?
Johnnny is offline  
Old 4th October 2021, 15:36   #2008
BHPian
 
Blue_Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 27
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Hi,

I am planning to replace my 7.5+ year old Celerio with bigger car, and one of the candidate is Seltos. I am looking for an automatic because I do not want to keep my left foot busy in the city traffic.

I had a test drive with the HTX IVT variant yesterday, and for some reason, I felt that the rubber band effect is bit more in this variant (or maybe because I am not used to it)

I was mainly interested in GTX DCT, bu that variant was not available for the test drive.

My question is, how reliable is DCT on Seltos? Are their any reports of multiple breakdowns (just like VW TSI), or the DCT in Seltos is much reliable?
Blue_Pearl is offline  
Old 4th October 2021, 15:55   #2009
Senior - BHPian
 
Bibendum90949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 3,927 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pearl View Post
My question is, how reliable is DCT on Seltos? Are their any reports of multiple breakdowns (just like VW TSI), or the DCT in Seltos is much reliable?
DCT/DSG s are not known to be reliable gearboxes, irrespective of the manufacturer. Seltos' DCT too has it's share of problems. You can have a look at the below thread specifically.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eltos-dct.html (Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT)

The safest and most reliable one in the Seltos range is the diesel AT torque converter gear box. You have the IVT option too if you're a sedate driver. IMT is there as well, where the gear shifting has to be done by the driver but there's no clutch pedal.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 4th October 2021 at 15:59.
Bibendum90949 is offline  
Old 4th October 2021, 16:13   #2010
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pearl View Post
Hi,

I am planning to replace my 7.5+ year old Celerio with bigger car, and one of the candidate is Seltos. I am looking for an automatic because I do not want to keep my left foot busy in the city traffic.

I had a test drive with the HTX IVT variant yesterday, and for some reason, I felt that the rubber band effect is bit more in this variant (or maybe because I am not used to it)

I was mainly interested in GTX DCT, bu that variant was not available for the test drive.

My question is, how reliable is DCT on Seltos? Are their any reports of multiple breakdowns (just like VW TSI), or the DCT in Seltos is much reliable?
I test drove both Seltos and Creta IVT models and I could sense that rubber band effect is more prominent in Seltos. Not sure it is to do with the way Kia has tuned to promote DCT (since both the cars have same engine).

If your only concern is clutch then you can also test drive iMT Seltos. If you have Creta in your list then test drive the IVT model. I finally went for Creta IVT as I found it better tuned. IDK if you are keen on Diesel as the AT can address your concern about driveability and reliability.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 4th October 2021 at 16:14.
Aviator_guy is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks