Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2022, 00:07   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Hello, BHPians!

My current ride is a 2013 EcoSport Diesel Titanium+ which has clocked 1.90 Lakh kms and still young as ever.

Since I live in Delhi, the car only has another 18 months left to attain its 10th year and I’m looking for an appropriate replacement.

My daily drive is around 70 Kms with a mix of traffic free spirited driving and quick overtakes in the outer areas of the city.

I’m looking for a good built coupled with a peppy engine hence, NA’s are absolutely out of question. Although, I’m a fan of the Korean Twin Diesels (Seltos and Creta) but they don’t live upto the the build standards of the EcoSport.

Kushaq is still an option but going by the niggles and deletion of auto foldable ORVM’s, I’m a bit off. Somehow, I find the Polo to be a worthy competitor as a replacement for my EcoSport. To some, it might appear as a downgrade but the situation for EcoSport owners is surely like Beggars can’t be Choosers.

Apart from the EcoSport, I’ve the new i20 Asta and XL6 but both aren’t meant for spirited driving.

My core interest revolves around build and drive hence, Polo as the say, the last of the Germans (in this price bracket) is what I’m leaning towards in the Highline Plus trim.

Looking forward to your inputs.

PS - I’m open to options till 16L OTR but a bit inclined towards Polo hence, request you to please be forthcoming with all the help you can. It’s not about Diesel or Petrol, my dilemma is all about Build and Spirited Driving.

Thanks
Tanveer Singh Kohli
tsk13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 00:21   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post

PS - I’m open to options till 16L OTR but a bit inclined towards Polo hence, request you to please be forthcoming with all the help you can. It’s not about Diesel or Petrol, my dilemma is all about Build and Spirited Driving.
My first instinct to your query were 3 cars - Nexon Diesel, XUV3OO and base variant of XUV7OO.

If we omit Maruti, Honda and Hyundai twins, the only manufacturers to put together a build quality and hence safety is Mahindra and Tata apart from the Germans.

Unless you need boot, XUV3OO is a hoot to drive and is solidly built too. My recommendation will be XUV3OO.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 00:33   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you like Polo go for it, you can’t go wrong with it. Else wait for Slavia as it’s round the corner.

But hands down Polo meets your requirements
sunikkat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 20:04   #649
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Tanveer Singh Kohli
Tanveer paa ji
For your ecopsort please check Spinny for offers. I recently sold my 65k run 2015 Figo diesel for a good amount.

Regarding your upgrades, I'd say Kushaq you avoid because those interiors were a huge let down. I recently test drove one and although the chassis and engine are good the interiors really left me disappointed.

Taigun is a good option. They seem to have sorted out the interiors there to a good extent. And the 1 lit is a hoot to drive. Esp. with the paddle shifters it's even more fun. But the manual is fun too. The 1.5 is a blast though you will have to stretch your budget for the same.

Nexon is another option. We own one and after getting spoilt with Ford dynamics and build quality; and since you are used to Ecosport and Ford that comes close and tops in build quality and the ride even though a tad stiff feels great to throw around corners and the diesel engine has ample torque. Good fun when you throw it around and very well settled over long journeys.

If Polo is your secondary car I'd say pick it up. I'm in the process of getting one myself too. Can't beat that little batch in terms of driving dynamics and fun.

-Regards
Tandeep Singh
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 06:14   #650
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Unless you need boot, XUV3OO is a hoot to drive and is solidly built too. My recommendation will be XUV3OO.
+1 to the XUV3OO recommendation. Both the petrol and diesel engines are supremely fun to drive, albeit in manual guise only. If you're looking for automatics, look elsewhere. And the build is comparable to the Ecosport. Do check it out!

Last edited by mAndArk : 20th February 2022 at 06:17.
Old 20th February 2022, 10:56   #651
BHPian

“I find the Polo to be a worthy competitor as a replacement for my EcoSport. To some, it might appear as a downgrade but the situation for EcoSport owners is surely like Beggars can’t be Choosers.”

Yes, Polo tsi is the obvious choice for you. Built quality is the best in the segment and performance in undoubtedly best under 20 lacs. There is simply no other car that matches the grunt of 1 ltr TSI especially in polo as it has weight advantage over Kushaq & Taigun.

I own Polo TSI and live in Delhi, overtakes are just point and shoot game, I’m coming from Figo 2013 and still I find polo to be a better handler.

Only drawback is the rear bench which is almost non usable for any drive of more than an hour. If the rear passengers are short, then it might work for you. Anyway you have i20 and Xl6 for ferrying passengers . Polo is meant for driving alone and having some serious fun. The mid range is just a thing to explore when driving alone on a Tarmac.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 12:16   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post

Yes, Polo tsi is the obvious choice for you. Built quality is the best in the segment and performance in undoubtedly best under 20 lacs. There is simply no other car that matches the grunt of 1 ltr TSI especially in polo as it has weight advantage over Kushaq & Taigun.
And you know what the best part is? You can get it with a manual! That too a proper 6 speed unit!
gt3t0uring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 12:22   #653
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Tanveer Singh Kohli
The Polo is an amazing vehicle if all you are looking for is driving pleasure and reasonable creature comforts. Do have a look at the i20 N Line. It is definitely a worthy contender to the Polo TSI. It has a longer feature list too.

The other cars that come to my mind are the Taigun especially with the 1.5 L TSI motor. Also, I'd suggest wait for the Virtus and Slavia. Both seem to be pretty good. XUV300 is also a solid choice, but interior quality could be better.
Old 21st February 2022, 01:02   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
My first instinct to your query were 3 cars - Nexon Diesel, XUV3OO and base variant of XUV7OO.

If we omit Maruti, Honda and Hyundai twins, the only manufacturers to put together a build quality and hence safety is Mahindra and Tata apart from the Germans.

Thank you, headbanger! Somehow, I would not like to go with Tata or Mahindra at the moment. Maybe, a bit too carried away by VW Škoda group.

To be honest, one Tata I would like to own is the Nexon Electric but the only issue is the driving range it offers and the long charging time of the EV’s. This psychologically limits my ability to consider an impromptu trip due to fear of low charge as opposed to the convenience of a conventional engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If you like Polo go for it, you can’t go wrong with it. Else wait for Slavia as it’s round the corner.

But hands down Polo meets your requirements
Thank you, sunikkat!

I’m waiting for the Slavia and Virtus as well. The much needed Boot I would say is another reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
Tanveer paa ji
For your ecopsort please check Spinny for offers. I recently sold my 65k run 2015 Figo diesel for a good amount.

Regarding your upgrades, I'd say Kushaq you avoid because those interiors were a huge let down.

Taigun is a good option. They seem to have sorted out the interiors there to a good extent. And the 1 lit is a hoot to drive. Esp. with the paddle shifters it's even more fun. But the manual is fun too. The 1.5 is a blast though you will have to stretch your budget for the same.

Nexon is another option.

If Polo is your secondary car I'd say pick it up. I'm in the process of getting one myself too. Can't beat that little batch in terms of driving dynamics and fun.

-Regards
Tandeep Singh
Veerji, I’ll check Spinny for sure, thanks for the recommendation.

I haven’t seen Kushaq’s interiors in person but from the exterior perspective, I like Kushaq more than Taigun. Further on Taigun in my last comment below.

Nexon I would rule out this time and the new car in concern would be my primary car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAndArk View Post
+1 to the XUV3OO recommendation. Both the petrol and diesel engines are supremely fun to drive, albeit in manual guise only. If you're looking for automatics, look elsewhere. And the build is comparable to the Ecosport. Do check it out!
Thank you, mAndArk! I might go for AT hence, would avoid XUV3OO due to AMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post

I own Polo TSI and live in Delhi, overtakes are just point and shoot game, I’m coming from Figo 2013 and still I find polo to be a better handler.

The mid range is just a thing to explore when driving alone on a Tarmac.
Thank you, divyadeeptsi! The mid range tarmac experience is the one which keeps me holding onto my EcoSport. It vrooms past others as and when you require.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
The Polo is an amazing vehicle if all you are looking for is driving pleasure and reasonable creature comforts. Do have a look at the i20 N Line. It is definitely a worthy contender to the Polo TSI. It has a longer feature list too.

The other cars that come to my mind are the Taigun especially with the 1.5 L TSI motor.
Thank you, vedirah!

I test drove the i20 N Line during the pre launch period and have been a fan of its handling and brakes. Moreover, the stiffer suspension keeps it grounded, not that the normal i20’s suspension is bouncy, Hyundai just put the ultimate icing on the cake with N Line’s suspension.

Would like sticking to 1.0 Litre TSI due to fuel efficiency issues since my annual run is about 25k kms.

An update from my side -

I went to VW Delhi West to check out the Polo. Unfortunately, they didn’t have one on display and the TD vehicle was on duty elsewhere.

Whilst a representative was being arranged, I sat in the Taigun Highline and after doing the necessary seat height and pitch adjustments, I can validate that it won’t be problem for a Sikh Gentleman to drive, thanks to the tall boy design.

My Turban either touches the roof liner or sunshade on the Sonet and Venue hence, Taigun becomes a strong contender.

After checking out the Taigun, I sat in the Vento (the nearest I could experience Polo) and had issues with my knees touching the door handle and the dash on either sides. This wasn’t the case with Taigun and broke my dream of owing the Polo in its present form.

I took a TD of Taigun Highline and the 1.0 TSI is kind of an appropriate upgrade from the 1.5L Ford Diesel mill. The Turbo experience I was looking forward to is available in the TSI.

The Polo is out of question now and it’s gonna be a choice between Kushaq and Taigun.

By the way, Vento is available at a cash discount of 1.75 Lakhs.

Again, thank you so much for your help.
tsk13 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 01:14   #655
BHPian

Quote:

An update from my side -

My Turban either touches the roof liner or sunshade on the Sonet and Venue hence, Taigun becomes a strong contender.

After checking out the Taigun, I sat in the Vento (the nearest I could experience Polo) and had issues with my knees touching the door handle and the dash on either sides. This wasn’t the case with Taigun and broke my dream of owing the Polo in its present form.

I took a TD of Taigun Highline and the 1.0 TSI is kind of an appropriate upgrade from the 1.5L Ford Diesel mill. The Turbo experience I was looking forward to is available in the TSI.

The Polo is out of question now and it’s gonna be a choice between Kushaq and Taigun.

Again, thank you so much for your help.
I can relate on the Turban front. Although I'm not tall, so Polo wasn't an issue for me headspace and leg space wise. Yes leg space feels a bit cramped.
I'm glad you checked out the Taigun.
I came away impressed too with the easy ingress and egress. My parents really liked that about it.
The 1 lit. turbo mill is a beaut and I don't know if you tried the automatic with the paddle shifters. Super fun.

When you get a chance do check out the Slavia and since the Virtus launch isn't far away either do consider that too.
The Slavia though low slung has decent ingress and egress and headspace is good too.

Do keep us posted on your test rides ahead and shopping experience.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 10:56   #656
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Tanveer Singh Kohli
Coming from an Ecosport, you are used to some tough build quality. Go for the Polo (if you are constrained by time). Else please wait for Virtus. It should be a compelling buy & might have some more goodies.

If you are sold on Polo, please go for the HL+ AT.
sameer_vwagner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 11:47   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, BHPians!

My core interest revolves around build and drive hence, Polo as the say, the last of the Germans (in this price bracket) is what I’m leaning towards in the Highline Plus trim.

Thanks
Tanveer Singh Kohli
Having owned cars from multiple brands including Polo GT & Taigun. I can say if you want spirited driving for for the Taigun, its a new product with good engine options. Also seems to be good fit for you even with Turban. Taigun has had very few glitches compared to Kushaq and almost zero breakdowns. Glitches are there with every new product. Do some back to back TD with your shortlisted cars and I am sure you will love the 1.0 or 1.5 TSI engines.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:14   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, BHPians!

My current ride is a 2013 EcoSport Diesel Titanium+ which has clocked 1.90 Lakh kms and still young as ever.

Since I live in Delhi, the car only has another 18 months left to attain its 10th year and I’m looking for an appropriate replacement.

My daily drive is around 70 Kms with a mix of traffic free spirited driving and quick overtakes in the outer areas of the city.

I’m looking for a good built coupled with a peppy engine hence, NA’s are absolutely out of question. Although, I’m a fan of the Korean Twin Diesels (Seltos and Creta) but they don’t live upto the the build standards of the EcoSport.

Kushaq is still an option but going by the niggles and deletion of auto foldable ORVM’s, I’m a bit off. Somehow, I find the Polo to be a worthy competitor as a replacement for my EcoSport. To some, it might appear as a downgrade but the situation for EcoSport owners is surely like Beggars can’t be Choosers.

Apart from the EcoSport, I’ve the new i20 Asta and XL6 but both aren’t meant for spirited driving.

Thanks
Tanveer Singh Kohli
Tanveer ji, I am in the same dilemma. I have been spoiled with the robustness and built quality of 2013 TDCI ecosport. It's mileage machine as well. And till now couldnt see any VFM car in current scenario. I am already sold on 1.5 DSG Variant of Kushaq/Taigun. With the current cost cuttings as well these are beast of a machine in terms of power.

Another option I have been actively exploring is buying a well maintained 2020/2021 Ecosport Diesel. Couldnt get lucky enough with a good as currently they are a steal in the used car market. But see if this makes some sense and you can get your hands on a good car.

But yeah you won't go wrong with 1.0L TSI as well as you were eyeing Polo and Taigun is, my personal opinion, a big brother on steroids for Polo minus the true German Character.

PS: I myself may end up with Kushaq 1.5DSG if Ecosport goes out of equation completely .
Mickey1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:13   #659
BHPian

If you are inclined towards Polo then go for it. But before that please check your nearest dealership about its availability as VW has planned to end its production very soon.

https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/ca...nd-soon/860925..

New Taigun and Skoda Kushaq Ambition AT are the cars that you will get in 16 lakh budget..

Also you have mentioned your daily run is closed to 70KM, then you should consider buying an EV.
Tata Nexon EV will fit in your budget, it’s build quality is great, and it’s Electric motors gives decent power to ride in city roads.
Petrol prices soon going to shoot up and will even go higher in future. EVs will be way to go in future.
Kaus2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:52   #660
BHPian

It has been almost 3 months and little over 3k kms since I took delivery after repairs. No rattles, no issues whatsoever! Was in two minds after accident, whether to keep her or let her go, but have decided to keep her now for long.

It takes a lot of effort to keep her clean.

Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review-img_20220219_18462101.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks