Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2021, 17:42   #1036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

I guess I owe the forum an update and a first take after a few weeks of driving the white Sonet. Personally the Venue looks way better and Sonet's color options are all ugly, so had to go for the official taxi color (I'm a big fan of bright silver), but there are enough contrasting fittings so it's not a full white. I also absolutely hate the red highlights, I hate anything red so will delete those in due course.

The engine is a bit gruff at low speeds and it surely isn't the most refined out there, Hyundai wins hands down in the refinement department, even the Getz of yore was way better built, but the Kia is better than the Japanese cars for sure.

Still getting used to the breadbox proportions though the high seating is a pleasant experience as also the visibility, turning radius and high ground clearance. The interiors are ugly, but much better than the Seltos. My comparison is with the Elantra so driving the Sonet has been kind of a nasty surprise for me, I'll take the sedan all days of the week.

The Sonet does serve it's purpose, its easy to get into and seating is high and comfortable for the folks. The auto transmission shift logic is the best I've experienced thanks to lower kerb weight, a decently powerful diesel engine and well divided ratios, the features put to shame cars 3 times it's price, I'm sure I'll get comfy with it soon enough, driving a car without the iconic slanted H logo is kind of new territory for me, but hey, this is within the family, albeit a cousin.

Last edited by dark.knight : 22nd April 2021 at 17:44.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:42   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
Here's the Sonet with the new KIA logo.

Pic Credit: Rushlane
The new KIA logo looks a bit cheesy and "lightweight" - not sure if fits a car brand. First of all, it it is hard to make out that it represents KIA. I read it as KN with N written in reverse!

It looks like a sticker - Kia could have used a multi-dimensional logo. This would have made it possible for the logo to be much more visible across all body colors. Somehow, the logo reminds me of ones you see in luggage or footwear
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:11   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia to get new logo & motto - Corporate branding revision

Kia Sonet HTX variant spied; gets alloys, traction control

Kia is gearing up to launch the updated Sonet in the Indian market. Now, the HTX variant of the crossover has been spotted at a dealer yard. The latest images reveal some of the new features that will be available in this variant.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-kiasonetnewvariantshtxpetrollaunch5600x338.jpg

Kia is said to introduce four new variants of the Sonet. These include HTX Petrol iMT, HTX Petrol DCT, HTX Diesel MT and HTX Diesel AT.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-kiasonetnewvariantshtxpetrollaunch2600x338.jpg

The Sonet HTX will get dual-tone alloy wheels as well as traction control. The HTX Petrol DCT will come with ESC, Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Management, Hill Assist Control and drive modes.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-kiasonetnewvariantshtxpetrollaunch4600x338.jpg

Both the Sonet and Seltos will also get the brand's new logo.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-kiasonetnewvariantshtxpetrollaunch1600x338.jpg

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:35   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Kia Sonet to get paddle shifters in the 7DCT trim, no information about Diesel 6AT at the moment. Considering Sonet is getting paddle shifters most likely will be present in the updated Seltos as well.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-60dfea068705411f993f117afc074b57.png

Kia Sonet : Official Review-c8d8aa8899a24d81b6e00dfda2dc1192.png

Kia Sonet : Official Review-7f59ff59d2fe49dc9c5961a0456bd50c.png

CEF_Beasts is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:45   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Updated Kia Sonet to get paddle shifters in the 7DCT trim, no information about Diesel 6AT at the moment. Considering Sonet is getting paddle shifters most likely will be present in the updated Seltos as well.
I don't think the Sonet diesel will get this, the dct is marketed as the sporty premium variant, paddle shifters suit the marketing better.
Old 24th April 2021, 16:54   #1041
BHPian

We can't deny the awesome value proposition that Kia offers with almost their full range in India. Paddle shifters are only useful if the steering setup is good and I'm a huge fan of the top-line e.g. GT Line Kia steerings. Kia is definitely leading the game when it comes to the bells and whistles list in India!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:38   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I don't think the Sonet diesel will get this, the dct is marketed as the sporty premium variant, paddle shifters suit the marketing better.
Going by the reports floating on the social media, the D AT is also getting the paddle shifters.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-5573d1806cc946d8b4953f139ed247e5.jpeg
ashvek3141 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:49   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Going by the reports floating on the social media, the D AT is also getting the paddle shifters.

Attachment 2148369
Good news for my on the features front, wonder what the price increase would be. My car is expected in 3 weeks, around mid May.
avira_tk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:57   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Good news for my on the features front, wonder what the price increase would be. My car is expected in 3 weeks, around mid May.
Add 1 L ex showroom straight to both the existing HTX Manual variants. Over & above that I am expecting a price bump of 25k - 30k minimum, for the new features that are added.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 19:54   #1045

Quote:
Add 1 L ex showroom straight to both the existing HTX Manual variants. Over & above that I am expecting a price bump of 25k - 30k minimum, for the new features that are added.
Isn't 1L way too steep for the manual/iMT? I thought it'd be around the 50k mark, with the included alloy wheels being the biggest extra cost.
ChiwdaG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 01:19   #1046
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2148369
ashvek3141: Where did you source this from? The first worksheet seems to have details on Seltos, would you have a screenshot of that too?
Old 25th April 2021, 10:37   #1047
BHPian

These are most apt for the DCT version and Kia has rightly introduced it in that model.
Old 25th April 2021, 14:47   #1048
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow - this is quite fast. Being one of the fastest sellers - I felt such drastic updates would come later in the year / early 2022 on the Sonet.

But no! KIA continues on the aggressive mode. Paddle shifters is a big novelty feature and definitely quite engaging on cars with fast transmission. Not that the Sonet really needed any more - but this is a big exclusive feature in the car. Thumbing the nose at a lot of cars costing almost double also perhaps!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 21:47   #1049
BHPian

This sounds really cool. I wonder why they have still kept out Rears wipers from the HTK/X models. Can those be fitted in the after market. If not then isn’t it something that KIA should provide as standard. Anyone can add Alloys any time
With these changes how does this change its appeal apropos waiting for Taigun or Kushaq. For what exact reason should one wait for those brands
Old 26th April 2021, 09:31   #1050
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

That's quite the news. At that price point, only Amaze, Jazz and Ecosport and City offer paddle shifters. However, what I don't understand is that why Tata and Mahindra have such aversion to paddle shifters? Seriously, just imagine Harrier/Gravitas or Scorpio/XUV with paddle shifters or even Nexon!

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 26th April 2021 at 09:42.

Most Viewed