Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 22:14   #226
BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
It's a tentative pricing revealed to dealers via virtual conference.

Here is the complete list with remaining price of cvt.

Attachment 2077562

As I mentioned before, tech pack would be an accessory and will be sold separately saving greatly on road tax and insurance. However, it will be covered under manufacturers warranty.
Brilliant pricing by Nissan. I know that Magnite might have thin sheet metal and hard plastics and a few flaws with regards to build quality but for the price, it is an extremely value for money product.

While the car might have thin sheet metal, I think it will have good structural integrity. Plus, it comes with ESP. So, I'm not concerned about safety with this car. As for hard plastics and a few cheap looking components, I'm totally okay with it considering the price of the car and the features that it offers (I don't mean just convenience features; I mean safety features too).

I can finally buy a car that has ESP, a proper automatic gearbox, and wireless Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay under INR 12,00,000. It is the only car at this price to offer these features.

I still wish it had a four-cylinder NA engine instead of a 3-cylinder turbo engine (I know many people would argue that a 3-cylinder turbo engine performs better than a 4-cylinder NA engine but I prefer symmetry, good low-end torque, less vibrations, and longevity rather than more mid-range power). But I think we can't get everything that we want for this price. Every car has its flaws. All that matters is overall package. And Nissan Magnite is brilliant package overall.
AbidIqbalShaik is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 09:53   #227
BHPian

prices are out. the prices are featured engine variant wise
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-20201108_094956.jpg  

Mafia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 11:41   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent pricing, overall. As I had anticipated and posted earlier, the often touted "Autocar" price range of 5.5 - 7.5 lakhs was for the NA range and the Turbo and CVT version are priced well over that range. Nissan continues to offer amazing value for city dwellers who have low running, are highly value conscious, want all the creature comforts and bling features, but do not crave power and cutting edge drivetrain technology. The Magnite 1.0 NA Petrol XV is the King of the Hill for offering incredible value for such customers, at 6.75 lakhs!. It has unbelievable features for the price - rear camera, fully digital 7" instrument cluster, LED DRLs, LED front fog lamps, push button start, auto air-conditioner, electrically foldable outside mirrors, actual usable roof rails (instead of the strictly cosmetic ones on the Sonet), diamond cut 16-inch alloy wheels, hands-free entry with iKey, 60:40 rear seat split (not available in Sonet), nice touchscreen systems with Android Auto and Apple Car Play, plus all the basics (including the much wanted rear washer and wiper which is missing in all but the highest trims of the Korean cousins). The 5m turning radius is best in class for convenience of the city drivers. Another example of exemplary value for this customer segment from Nissan is the Kicks 1.5 NA XV Version - a proper mid-size SUV will all these features and more at 9.99 lakhs!

However, I feel the premium for a Turbo Petrol engine over the NA engine (1 lakh) for equivalent trims is a bit too much. The Kia Sonet HTK+ 1.2 NA Manual is 8.45 lakhs and the HTK+ 1.0 Turbo IMT is 9.49 lakhs - A premium of 1.04 lakhs for:
  • A Direct injected Turbo charged Engine (Not a Multiport injected turbo like in the Magnite)
  • Significantly higher power and torque (118 BHP 172 NM)
  • An iMT gearbox included in the price premium - this is worth at least 25K

I feel Nissan could have kept the premium for the turbo engine to be around 75K and premium for CVT to be about 50K. Else, they could have kept the premium but offered the full blown HR10 DDT with 117 PS and 200 NM instead of the HR10 DET with 100 PS and 160 NM. This way, the Magnite Turbo would have surpassed the Sonet turbo on Torque (200 NM instead of 170 NM) and matched it on power output.

For those looking for the best value Turbo CVT variant (other than the sedate city drivers for whom the XV NA version as described above is the absolute steal) - XV CVT at 8.65 lakhs seems best. It has all but the following features on the XV Premium - 360 degree camera, connected car features, TPMS, LED Headlamp, some chrome bits, all black interior, rear AC vents, and center armrest. Presence of Cruise control on XV is not clear, at one place the brochure seems to say it has it (cruise control indicator on center console), somewhere else it says it is not present.

From the specs it is clear that the torque output has been reduced to 152 NM for the CVT version (instead of 160 NM on the manual) - see attached table. This is probably because of the limitation of the CVT gearbox in terms of how much torque it can handle. I think this will make the CVT version significantly slower than the manual version, with the twin factors of reduction of torque + natural power loss due to the auto transmission. The ARAI fuel efficiency for the CVT is also down by 2.3 KMPL compared to the manual (17.7 KPL instead of 20 KPL). Another irritant for those who do frequent long distance highway trips and are looking for a compact, peppy, automatic car with good mileage and range is the fact that the Magnite only has a 40 L fuel tank - Coupled with low real world highway mileage of around 13 KMPL one would expect at 100-110 KPH speeds, the range for the Turbo CVT would be limited to about 520KM. Compare that to the Sonet Diesel AT which should deliver 17-18 KPL and has a 45 litre fuel tank, taking the range to almost 800 KMs. Now, if only the Sonet was more reasonably priced with the HTK+ Diesel AT at around 9.99 lakhs! A wild hope that such a high value offering from Nissan will force Kia to moderate Sonet pricing a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-capture.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th November 2020 at 12:10.
84.monsoon is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 11:43   #229
BHPian

Competitive pricing from Nissan. Expect more footfalls in their showrooms and better conversion rates than earlier. Probably they waited for i20 price announcement before deciding theirs.

It now depends how Nissan handles two primary concerns :

a) Safety - Nissan could offer the Magnite for GNCAP crash test if they are confident of good rating. This would give a distinct advantage over Maruti and Hyundai.

b) After Sales Service- Nissan should ramp up their service standards. Nissan might want to consider offering longer manufacturer warranty(say 4 to 5 years) and extended warranty for further 3/2 years (ie.upto 7th year) at nominal cost.

The above two concerns if handled well would definitely be confidence boosting for the potential customers.

I personally prefer the Nissan Magnite over Kia Sonet. Probably, Kia should work really hard to convert the Sonet bookings to deliveries to avoid cancellations.

Last edited by DImPo : 8th November 2020 at 11:48.
DImPo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:17   #230
Senior - BHPian

With no dealerships in many tier 2 and 3 cities they are not going to see the sales potential of this thing anytime soon and I suspect Nissan Japan has no patience to play the long game to invest and bring up more dealerships in this country.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 14:39   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Competitive pricing from Nissan. Expect more footfalls in their showrooms and better conversion rates than earlier. Probably they waited for i20 price announcement before deciding theirs.

It now depends how Nissan handles two primary concerns :

a) Safety - Nissan could offer the Magnite for GNCAP crash test if they are confident of good rating. This would give a distinct advantage over Maruti and Hyundai.

b) After Sales Service- Nissan should ramp up their service standards. Nissan might want to consider offering longer manufacturer warranty(say 4 to 5 years) and extended warranty for further 3/2 years (ie.upto 7th year) at nominal cost.
Safety is something which no one cares about. People might at most might say something about strong built and the thud when doors close or the weight of the bonnet. That's why the Nexon or XUV 300 never became half as successful as the Brezza.

However all cars in this segment are fantastic and have their own USP and the magnite is no different

And man, not only aftersales but even sales is going to be a big challenge. While most dealers of Nissan have already closed and others on the verge of closure, even in big cities finding a dealership is difficult.

Tried my Luck in Noida sec 63 dealership and it was closed. Even the one near my home in Kolkata situated in BT road has permanently shut shop. I hear there's only one service provider left in Mumbai city. Not sure about sales!

However what my concern primarily is with the Nissan Magnite turbo petrol is that the Peak torque is too narrow and too late in the rev range.

Here's some comparison of 1 litre turbo engines:
EcoSport Ecoboost: 123 horses @ 6,000 rpm and 170 Nm @ 1,500 - 4,500 rpm (earlier was 1,400 - 4,500 rpm)

Venue turbo GDI: 118 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 172 Nm (1,500 - 4,000 rpm)

Baleno RS: 101 BHP @ 5,500 rpm coupled with max torque of 150 Nm @ 1,700 - 4,500 rpm

Magnite: The HRA0 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine produces 99 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 160 Nm @ 2,800-3,600 rpm

Kudos to the price and spec package:
The top-spec XV Premium trim comes with LED bi-projector headlamps, cruise control, 360-degree camera, tyre pressure monitoring system and sporty interiors. A wireless charger, air purifier, ambient mood lighting, puddle lamps and JBL speakers will be available with the Tech Pack.
One could only complain about the missing sunroof, which no Japanese manufacturer in the country provides. So this was expected

Second concern is the pathetic fit finish of Nissan cars. I am okay with the ergonomics of Nissan cars.
Recently came across a customer review of Nissan Kicks and here's what the owner had to say

I am sure, our members using Nissan cars have their own share of feedback about the brand and all is not bad.
But it's just the fact that I'd avoid any car that has a Nissan badge on it. It's worse than avoiding the Ertiga and choosing a Triber.
Would you pick one?
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:45   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
However what my concern primarily is with the Nissan Magnite turbo Peak torque is too narrow and too late in the rev range.

Second concern is the pathetic fit finish of Nissan cars.

Recently came across a customer review of Nissan Kicks and here's what the owner had to say
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=9BZI...el=MotorOctane

I am sure, our members using Nissan cars have their own share of feedback about the brand and all is not bad.
But it's just the fact that I'd avoid any car that has a Nissan badge on it. It's worse than avoiding the Ertiga and choosing a Triber.
Would you pick one?
I agree there are not many sales and service centres. However I feel there are good ones in certain cities and the situation will likely improve or go down based on Magnite’s success.

The fit and finish is on par with other manufacturers. I would say it is better than Maruthi.

Related to the YouTube video. I feel it is too exaggerated to be true. Sometimes these youtuber’s do these mischiefs when the manufacturers don’t invite them for a launch. I own a Nissan Kicks and I am part of a owners group so we know what sort of issues come up.

Related to the drivability, we have to wait till test drive reviews. The data shows Nissan with the same engine and cvt does the slightly better 0-100 time than Kia Sonet turbo imt. Please check the previous pages in the thread for more info.

IMO Nissan offers value for money like no body else in the market and that is one reason why one should go for Nissan.
Godzilla is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 17:08   #233
BHPian

Excellent exterior, decent interior, loaded to the brim with features(some are segment first), ESP with TC, turbo+CVT and everything under 10 lakh ex showroom. What else one could ask for?

Build quality should not concern one keeping in mind the price Nissan is offering. Also, coming from Nissan stable, Magnite should have some decent build quality at least better than Maruti IMHO.

Can’t wait to see this beauty in flesh.
Deadpool is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 17:10   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

However, I feel the premium for a Turbo Petrol engine over the NA engine (1 lakh) for equivalent trims is a bit too much. The Kia Sonet HTK+ 1.2 NA Manual is 8.45 lakhs and the HTK+ 1.0 Turbo IMT is 9.49 lakhs - A premium of 1.04 lakhs for:
  • A Direct injected Turbo charged Engine (Not a Multiport injected turbo like in the Magnite)
  • Significantly higher power and torque (118 BHP 172 NM)
  • An iMT gearbox included in the price premium - this is worth at least 25K

I feel Nissan could have kept the premium for the turbo engine to be around 75K and premium for CVT to be about 50K. Else, they could have kept the premium but offered the full blown HR10 DDT with 117 PS and 200 NM instead of the HR10 DET with 100 PS and 160 NM. This way, the Magnite Turbo would have surpassed the Sonet turbo on Torque (200 NM instead of 170 NM) and matched it on power output.
One other thing missing in your analysis is, for 1 lakh more than NA variants, the turbo variants also come with a lot of active safety features as standard right from XL like VDC+TC+HSA+HBA. Also the premium for CVT looks par for the course with even AMT's commanding 40-50k premium compared to manual variants from others.
drpudhi is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 23:29   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post

However what my concern primarily is with the Nissan Magnite turbo petrol is that the Peak torque is too narrow and too late in the rev range.

Here's some comparison of 1 litre turbo engines:
EcoSport Ecoboost: 123 horses @ 6,000 rpm and 170 Nm @ 1,500 - 4,500 rpm (earlier was 1,400 - 4,500 rpm)

Venue turbo GDI: 118 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 172 Nm (1,500 - 4,000 rpm)

Baleno RS: 101 BHP @ 5,500 rpm coupled with max torque of 150 Nm @ 1,700 - 4,500 rpm

Magnite: The HRA0 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine produces 99 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and [b]160 Nm @ 2,800-3,600 rpm
All other engines you have mentioned above are Direct Injection whereas Magnite's engine is port injected. Hence the difference in performance.
DI engines coupled with Turbo will be costly to maintain in the long run.
DImPo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 00:38   #236
BHPian

Saw a new under construction Nissan dealership (Neo Nissan) at Moti Nagar today. It's few showrooms away from now closed Sparsh Nissan.
Hoping to see few more Nissan dealerships coming up in future - Magnite surely is capable of bringing back Nissan.
r.joshi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:07   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
One other thing missing in your analysis is, for 1 lakh more than NA variants, the turbo variants also come with a lot of active safety features as standard right from XL like VDC+TC+HSA+HBA. Also the premium for CVT looks par for the course with even AMT's commanding 40-50k premium compared to manual variants from others.
Actually, they do not. Only the CVT variants come with these safety features.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:19   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the brochure says otherwise. It clearly mentions turbo variants having these safety features.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-screenshot_202011091214352.png  

drpudhi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:24   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Note: Turbo Only = Turbo engine with MT and CVT.

In simple, the NA version dont get these.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:26   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I had a strong feeling that Nissan will play the price card with Magnite. If the prices are indeed true, wonderful. Just saying- the i20 1.2 Spotrz IVT costs 10.5 Lacs on road here in Bangalore, and I see well loaded Nissan XV CVT priced similar. Apart from the brand, I don't see a reason why I should pay premium to i20.
Crazy how expensive cars can get in just a couple of years. I bought my i20 Magna Executive CVT in Rajasthan for 7.35Lacs(On-Road) in December 2018. 10.5 lacs in insane for the same vehicle albeit with additional features.
DeepakS is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks