Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2023, 12:00   #676
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPenguin View Post
Is it possible to upgrade to Asta alloy wheels for sportz variant and how much does it cost?
I think OEM alloys would cost in the vicinity of 40k in this case.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 10:59   #677
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone upgraded their headlights especially for variants below Asta. I have Sportz and the headlight is seriously lacking. Eventhough I knew about Hyundai's headlight performance it didn't bother me much because I rarely travelled at night but lately I had instances where I had to and it was really difficult to manage.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th January 2024 at 18:39. Reason: spacing for readability
Old 27th December 2023, 22:48   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
Hi All,
Has anyone upgraded their headlights especially for variants below Asta. I have Sportz and the headlight is seriously lacking. Eventhough I knew about Hyundai's headlight performance it didn't bother me much because I rarely travelled at night but lately I had instances where I had to and it was really difficult to manage.
My dad recently picked up the sportz cvt. I'm planning to get the 100/90 bulbs installed with a plug and play relay kit. This kit is purely a plug and play unit so doesn't require any wire cutting and is a cheaper upgrade option.
Grand Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 05:57   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
My dad recently picked up the sportz cvt. I'm planning to get the 100/90 bulbs installed with a plug and play relay kit. This kit is purely a plug and play unit so doesn't require any wire cutting and is a cheaper upgrade option.
Firstly getting H19 90/100 bulbs is extremely difficult. If you fit H4 then fitting and focus would be an issue.

Second, with the higher wattage you would get error message on your mid.

Let us know how you fare.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 07:53   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Has anyone upgraded their headlights especially for variants below Asta.
I have upgraded the lights to led. Search for i20 iVT sportz review, which will lead you to my ownership review. I have included the details on led upgrade.
Basically it’s straight forward replacement of stock bulb but need to open the bumper clips to take out light assembly for access.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 09:12   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Firstly getting H19 90/100 bulbs is extremely difficult. If you fit H4 then fitting and focus would be an issue.

Second, with the higher wattage you would get error message on your mid.

Let us know how you fare.
Oh! Didn't realize that. The store in Kerala did the installs for a few cars and didn't mention of these complications. Let me double check then.
Old 10th January 2024, 11:20   #682
BHPian

Ownership Experience after 6 months – i20 Asta (O) Petrol Manual

I took more than couple of years to finalize my new car. My Ritz ZXi petrol MT BS4 2009 was doing a fantastic job and at times made me think if I should sweat the asset for another couple of years. The Tall boy was a rare gem from Maruti’s stable and was like a first “mini SUV” on Indian roads – just 40 Kg lighter than Venue on Kerb weight, equipped with 60:40 seats, 43 Litres of fuel tank, two front Air bags, ABS/EBD, Height adjustable seats, all seat adjustable headrests etc. It had a thicker body panels compared to all Maruti Suzuki cars. It was co-designed by Suzuki with Opel for European Market. The Car had high aerodynamic drag, bit of higher tyre noise and body roll.

It was a fun to carry out detail study of various cars as part of desktop and primary research. The research was followed with Test drives of i10, Aura, Venue, Amaze, Magnite, Kiger, Nexon, MG Astor, XUV, Duster, Free style, Ecosport. I was completely agnostic on type of fuel (except CNG) and kept the budget bit flexible based on the value that car would offer. I had almost finalized top end Ecosport Diesel MT, but had to drop the idea due to Ford’s announcement of exiting India market. I liked Aster but sensed that to be a likely fuel guzzler.

New i20 was never in my consideration set. I was of the view that the Car doesn’t merit a price premium that it charges to customers.

However, visiting Hyundai dealership casually on one of the Sunday evenings with family has changed that perception. It was a base model that was kept at the Dealership. But it amazed me with impeccable fit-n-finish, well laid out black interiors, ergonomics - perfect size of steering wheel, smooth pedal feel, gear shifter exactly positioned where I wanted it to be, big interior space and ample leg room for rear passengers. While everyone at the dealership was super busy to handle SUVs, I asked the dealer to give me i20 for a test drive on the next week end. It was i20 top end for the test drive. The car has almost everything that one would like to have in the new car – superb NVH, tilt & telescopic steering to adjust for seating preference, good road visibility, alloy wheels, ABS/EBD/Vehicle stability Management, adjustable head rests for all passengers, TPMS, fog lamps, cruise control, rear wiper, 6 air bags, auto folding mirrors, top quality infotainment system, rear sensors and camera equipped with dynamic grid lines. Sunroof was never my requirement, but i20 has it. So, it was like a bonus. The only sensible missing feature was 60:40 rear seat. Boot appeared to be decent to carry 2 medium size suitcases and miscellaneous stuff. Couldn’t test high speed cornering, but on road stability of the vehicle and feel of the steering was giving adequate confidence that the car will be like a leach on demanding road conditions. Straight line positioning was excellent with steering coming at the center nicely. The looks are subjective, and hence will not detail on that. It was a pleasant surprise when I was going through the specs that i20 has higher wheelbase as compared to some of the premium Compact + sedans in the market.

The Booking process was smooth with a downpayment of Rs. 5000 (fully refundable in case of cancellation). Selecting the variant was relatively easier. Always my preference was to opt for Top end as it gives some of the best of goodies from the feature basket in factory fitted avatar. Opted for Asta (0) Petrol -RDE compliant. I am not a fan of 3 Cylinder turbochargers. 3 Cylinders by design are not naturally balanced, and plus Turbo on top adds to noise, engg complexity and a possible higher maintenance over a life cycle.

I chose Silver. In my view this color has a good balance between looks, vehicle visibility, lesser heating compared to darker siblings, ease of maintenance. I opted for BH registration, 7 year warranty, Hyundai SOT (Shield of Trust) and Super SOT. There was a waiting period of 10 -12 weeks. Always wanted to go for manual gearbox as it keeps you engaged with the vehicle, gives you full command & control while driving, gives you additional lever for decelerating the car in emergency situation, gives you freedom to experiment with Vehicle speed-Engine RPM range to play with efficiency OR performance by yourself rather than some AI doing it for you in the name of Driving mode selection. The dealership offered Cash discount for taking Company insurance (straight difference between Dealership quote and market quote + additional 5 K). I think it always better to take insurance from dealership even if it comes with some premium as they become more accountable to your car. Received a call from dealer after 1 ½ months that they have got confirmation that the Car is ready with PDI at the factory. It was a good feeling to get your “make- to-order” vehicle. PDI process at the dealer’s stockyard was smooth. I personally did the PDI for about an hour (top bottom – back to rear) with a checklist and there were absolutely no surprises. Great Job Hyundai!! The vehicle was ready for delivery on the chosen date- 27th April 2023 I have opted for minimum accessories such as floor lamination, rubber mats & mud flap kit. The logic was to get these accessories fitted from the dealership where some major parts are required to be removed for fitting the accessory. For floor lamination, they take out the seats and put them back. These days there are so many sensors and features in the vehicle, and there is chance that Car accessories shops may not even aware and can potentially even damage the things. I have avoided putting the seat covers, as it can cause obstruction to side air bags operation. Safety first !!

Specifically chose morning time (10-11.30) for car delivery since in a day light you can recheck the vehicle properly, and most of dealership people are fresh to explain all features, carry out documentation etc. Carried a sweet box for dealership people. The dealership had made a wonderful arrangement for car delivery and me & my family will cherish those moments.

After driving the vehicle for around 6000 Km, the vehicle continue to deliver what was expected from it– solid build, excellent ride quality, roll almost to nil, decent handling characteristics, good seats which holds you well with excellent under thigh support and optimum softness for a long drive comfort. The first service experience at Hyundai dealership was good with no negative surprises. I got the engine oil change done while the owner manual recommendation was 10000 Km /12 month. As part of SOT package, got complimentary underbody coating from 3 M at the service center. I had got underbody coating from 3 M on Ritz, and know how useful it is. It prevent underbody rust and to some extent adds to improving NVH. In the last 6 months, got car washed only during free service. Happily doing self-cleaning with Jopasu. It just takes 10 minutes of time alternate day, and gives you a satisfaction of saving few buckets of fresh water. Purchased a pair of good quality microfiber cloth and again doing a self cleaning with a 1 bottle of water and interior dry dusting once a month. I absolutely don’t see a need for paint coating, wax polishing from car detailers. The Company fitted 195/55 R16 Secura Drive are great tyres both in form factor and function. There is absolutely no need to get those replaced with a fancy brand or a higher/lower size.

Hyundai is able to achieve a sweet spot as far as Powertrain is concerned on new i20. While 1.2 Kappa is not as peppy as Suzuki’ K series, its smooth, refined and gives a decent performance on i20 if one considers it for a well matured Car under safe driving practices on Indian road conditions. I am getting a mileage of 14-16 within City based on traffic conditions and 18-20 on a highway without cruise control, depending on whether I choose Efficiency OR performance. Cruise control in 5th gear at 70 Kmph delivers best of the mileage. The figure on dashboard touches 37 mph on a 30 Km patch which has a fair bit of decent between Pune & Mumbai. The engine becomes lively after 1600 rpm and is a fun to cruise on the High way. The powertrain is at ease to haul the car at 1200 rpm in 5th gear delivering a speed of 45 kmph. In city traffic condition, the car crawls in 3rd gear at engine speed as low as 800 rpm. If there is a very steep gradient conditions, shifting to 1st gear becomes inevitable for a very brief duration and quite understandable for a 1.2 L naturally aspirated motor. Gear shifter is super smooth WO any notchy feeling. One has to be little careful initially for switching to Reverse till one gets accustomed with its exact position. Suspension found to be little stiff, but yeah it keeps you grounded. 170 mm ground clearance appears to be adequate. So-far no scratching the bottom even after one full monsoon experience.

I just felt that Hyundai should have offered (1) Height adjustable seat for co-driver (2) Walk-away automatic door locking (a complete miss from Hyundai !!) (3) Start-stop (I think they have given this on facelift) (4) option to switch-off ambient lighting and Audio system which automatically pops up (quite irritating in case you stop in heavy traffic and you have to kick in ignition. Hyundai could have also used the space in dashboard little more wisely to provide some nice additional spaces for storage. Ritz was way ahead on this front. User interface of Blue link app is dated and quite boring. Surprising it doesn’t show the trip mileage. I will be glad to have comments from fellow TEAM BHP members on these observations.

Happy to see relatively lesser numbers of new i20 on roads –it adds to the car’s exclusivity and, aspirational appeal. I adore the car whenever I see its reflection on the go, with lovely and unique DRLs and LED head lamp cluster set-up.

Overall, a very satisfactory experience. Big thumbs up to MHI for such a nice car !!!

Few learnings that I would like to share herewith for new buyers :

Do your homework to understand car variants, features, specs and prices. Many times dealership guys don’t know/ will not tell you the basic things about the car which might be the most important thing for you.

Invest your time for going to dealership for test drives, PDI, Servicing. Beyond a product, you will understand the Brand better at the dealerships. Test drive cars of adjacent segments from your shortlisted one. This helps to take the well-informed decision.

Watch long term reviews for the car that you have shortlisted. However, experiencing the car first hand by taking test drives is absolutely must. Experts’ requirements are not necessarily align with yours. Take a test drive by switching off infotainment system, mobile phone, ask the dealer guy to sit at the rear seat. Engage fully with the Vehicle.

Never just rely on few car enthusiasts’ opinion on car shows. Most of the time they are paid reviews. You note down your own expectations and see how the car performs on those parameters when you handler it before finalizing the vehicle and variant.

Choose dealership wisely. Discount and early delivery should not be the first criteria. It should ideally be dealer’s reputation in the market, people capabilities, service support. All these come handy during product life cycle.

SUV looks give car manufacturers easy premium of 3 to 4 lakh rupees. Many mini/ micros/compact SUVs are built on a base platform of a car and at times with variants with compromising features. Its difficult to digest the fact that some of SUV variants costing 15 lakhs don’t offer basic things like rear wiper. So don’t get into “SUV trap” if that kind of vehicle is not your requirement. SUVs provide high Ground Clearance at the cost of ride & handling, higher aerodynamic drag.

Don’t compromise while buying real value stuff add value to car such as extended warranty, insurance inclusions, AMC package. Its worth spending money on these rather on gizmos which don’t add much value to the car on long run and almost nothing in resale value.

Automatic climate control, Fog lamps, Rear Wiper, Alloy Wheels (looks apart, they dissipate the heat faster and improve braking and liner life) are essential features. Prioritize these over gizmos.

Last but not the least… don’t rush through to purchase unless there is some emergency of buying the vehicle. If you miss one deal, there are multiple others which will open up.

Check Air pressure at regular intervals, try to fill nitrogen, get down and have a conversation with petrol bunk attendant while he/she is dispensing the fuel. Regular petrol from a reputed fuel outlet is good one. Again no need to go for fancy name. Closely watch what exactly is getting filled in your vehicle – quality & quantity. And importantly have a Safe and Secure Drive… Always !!

Best wishes !!

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd February 2024 at 19:22. Reason: spacing for readability; acronyms
007maverick is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 22:38   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPenguin View Post
Is it possible to upgrade to Asta alloy wheels for sportz variant and how much does it cost?

Both the variants - Sportz and Asta have the same tyre size i.e. 195/55 R16. So technically it should be feasible to upgrade. Note that Metallic wheel rims will fetch you nothing except Scrap value. So there will not be any replacement value. You may have to budget around 35 - 40 K for 4 tyres depending on the brand that you choose. Suggest check with Hyundai dealer and couple of other reputed tyre dealers before making a decision.

Quote:
Hi All,
The vehicle manufacturer has to mandatorily carry out the headlight testing as part of vehicle certification. Hence there has to be a minimum throw, area coverage & illumination by regulation. Suggest first check with the dealer mechanic if Hi/ Lo Beam needs some adjustment, before going for a replacement. Also check if headlight lenses are clear (many times it looses transparency due to washing by hard water). Irrespective whether one drives in the night or not, good headlight is absolutely must for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavesh995 View Post
Hi All. I am considering to get the new i20 but not sure if the ground clearance will be an issue for indian conditions and going in hilly areas. Do you think the Ground Clearance on i20 is appropriate ?
i20 GC is 170 mm. I didn't face any issue in the City conditions (during monsoon Pune roads become "Testing tracks") and occasional long drives.

However one has to be bit careful on horrendous Speed brakers - you have to be alert & slow down the vehicle. Vehicles with high GC will overcome such things, but underneath you are damaging the suspension WO realising it.

In one of the recent trips, my car was fully loaded with 1+4 adults & luggage, and I drove the vehicle on countryside. Didn't face any issue.
Its a different matter if you want to do off-roading in Hilly areas !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNLine View Post
My i20 N Line tyre got burst recently. I hit a pothole at relatively high speed (20-25kmph) and the front left tyre pressure dropped to zero. I have driven 22k km with the stock Nexen tyres.

What are the recommended tyre brand should I go with? Bridgestone Sturdo/Continental UC6/Vredetein Ultrac?

Is it worth upgrading to Michelin Pilot Sport 4? i will have to upgrade all 4 tyres. If yes, please suggest a dealer in Noida or Delhi NCR that you know has Michelin tyres in stock or can arrange them.
It's a serious safety issue. Hope your car has TPMS and you regularly check the tyre pressur and keep the values closer to the recommended ones

For deciding the tyre Brand...keep a note of your exact requirements...are you looking for performance, low tyre noise, road grip, mileage. There is no point in just going behind expensive brands just for the sake of name. Ceat secura drive are good tyres and worth considering.

Mod Note: Please use Multi-quote feature while responding.

Last edited by ampere : 28th January 2024 at 20:32. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 14th January 2024, 12:17   #684

Issues with my i20 Sportz iVT. Should I have this checked now or wait?

I got my i20 Sportz iVT in Dec 2023 (facelift edition). All in all good experience so far but a couple of times the car has gone a little crazy on me so wondering if I should have it checked now or wait for the first service in Feb.

1. The car engine refused to start when I turned in the ignition key. The initial display lights came on for a second or so but nothing after that. This was while going back from work and it had driven without issues to office in the morning. I waited 5 minutes tried again and it turned on this time and I got home without issues.

2. A few days later the car was stopped at a turn (in D mode). When traffic cleared I lifted my foot off the brake expecting the car to creep but it didn't move, at all. Light pressing of the accelerator didn't do anything either. By now the folks behind me had started screaming so I hit the accelerator full on and the car moved and then I was able to control the speed and drive away.

I had the Hyundai service center install the DHC 360 Camera, there have been no other customization. I have heard of the earlier i20's defective fuel pump issues causing the car to stall, could the facelift version have inherited it? I have a feeling even if I take it to the service center they might not find anything as it's been so sporadic. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 14th January 2024, 22:44   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mp View Post

I got my i20 Sportz iVT in Dec 2023 (facelift edition). All in all good experience so far but a couple of times the car has gone a little crazy on me so wondering if I should have it checked now or wait for the first service in Feb.

1. The car engine refused to start when I turned in the ignition key. The initial display lights came on for a second or so but nothing after that. This was while going back from work and it had driven without issues to office in the morning. I waited 5 minutes tried again and it turned on this time and I got home without issues.

2. A few days later the car was stopped at a turn (in D mode). When traffic cleared I lifted my foot off the brake expecting the car to creep but it didn't move, at all. Light pressing of the accelerator didn't do anything either. By now the folks behind me had started screaming so I hit the accelerator full on and the car moved and then I was able to control the speed and drive away.

I had the Hyundai service center install the DHC 360 Camera, there have been no other customization. I have heard of the earlier i20's defective fuel pump issues causing the car to stall, could the facelift version have inherited it? I have a feeling even if I take it to the service center they might not find anything as it's been so sporadic. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Check if the battery cell in your Remote lock / smart key has drained out and get it replaced. It could be one of the possible reasons.
007maverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 21:02   #686
BHPian

How's the fuel economy in i20 diesel? Mine barely crosses 22 kmpl on highways.
Old 17th January 2024, 22:30   #687
BHPian

22 kmpl is good if it's consistent.

Mine is Asta (O) 1.2 Petrol MT and delivers 18-20. MID occassionally shows very high numbers but those are outliers since that time the Car must have been on super smooth road with minimal traffic.

Low and mid range torques of diesel engines are usually better than their petrol counterparts and hence require minimal shifts on the gearbox leading to better FE.
007maverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 09:54   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had the Hyundai service center install the DHC 360 Camera, there have been no other customization.
Could you share the price of this camera, the integration with your OEM head unit and your view of this modification.
Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:08   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Could you share the price of this camera, the integration with your OEM head unit and your view of this modification.
Thanks
It cost me 37K. I had it installed by the Hyundai service folks. I wouldn't really call it a must-have. I felt the need for it in the first week as I had switched from a much smaller car but now with time I have gotten used to the car's size and barely use the front/side views. The stock reverse view cameras would have been sufficient. That said I drive mostly on the main road so I am guessing the additional views will be useful in cramped roads while turning/over taking. Yet to test these out. It integrated well with the infotainment unit. One niggle is, if you have the navigation on, then using the left/right indicator will bring up the camera views and overwrite the maps. I am guessing there must be a way to set the maps as a favorite so one press of the favorite button brings it back on but I wish the map came back on by default once the indicator is turned off. So until figure that out, I have to use my phone for navigation

The latest version of DHC 360 camera apparently overrides the stock reverse view camera (there is no way to retain the stock ones for reverse view alone) and I feel the Hyundai ones were superior. DHC does come with guidance lines but I do miss the default one's refined view.
s_mp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:14   #690
BHPian

Quote:
You should be attentive and get this checked at the earliest. You car is too new to have any issues. Btw, I don't believe your car (being 1.2L) has any fuel pump issues that plagued the 1.0 turbo cars. It could be a bad accessory install of the camera you mentioned. I would investigate this.

Mentioning this, as an improper new aftermarket audio install was causing my Creta gearshifts to lag/jerk from P/D/N.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks