Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2023, 21:32   #661

Re: Hyundai i20 Review

Hi All. I am considering to get the new i20 but not sure if the ground clearance will be an issue for indian conditions and going in hilly areas. Do you think the Ground Clearance on i20 is appropriate ?
bhavesh995 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 22:56   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavesh995 View Post
Hi All. I am considering to get the new i20 but not sure if the ground clearance will be an issue for indian conditions and going in hilly areas. Do you think the Ground Clearance on i20 is appropriate ?
Depends on which area you are living in. Test drive on the route you take would clear your doubts. I haven't faced any issues with ground clearance in villages. Not sure about hilly areas though. But 90% of time you won't face any issues.
Revvatron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 01:14   #663
BHPian

You could check out a miniSUV if ground clearance is a priority. Say, something with 200 mm or higher GC. I think Nexon qualifies on that. Its not too big, going to 4m+ length. Not too small, has enough space. Even Brezza/XUV300(and possibly Venue) are good contenders, if you were to consider C-SUV territory.
Also check out the Exter.
I haven’t faced any GC issues with mine as such. However, 170 isn’t too bad and is good enough for most city usage. As Revvaton mentioned, take a TD on your preferred route to confirm these doubts.
Either way, plenty of options now in the higher GC hatchback territory now

Last edited by SixPistons : 30th October 2023 at 01:20. Reason: More ideas
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 17:19   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavesh995 View Post
We've never faced a ground clearance issue with our i20 N8 so far. However, it also depends on which roads you take it to and how careful you are while driving on such roads. A Fortuner or Thar can also scrap underbody if not driven properly.

Of course i20 cannot do a full blown off roading. But mild "soft" roading with careful driving should not be a problem.
We've driven our i20 on rough roads, over unreasonably sized speed breakers and did few soft roading. So far, underbody has not scraped on them. However, I would like to mention it again, we are careful about how we drive it on such roads.
rAijin_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 14:16   #665
BHPian

Hi

I have booked the i20 Sportz iVT 1.2 Kappa VTVT Starry Night last evening. Delivery is around after 2 weeks. I negotiated a discount of Rs 35000/- on the ex showroom price of Rs 937900/- and also the insurance I will be doing myself which results in a saving of another Rs 35000/-.

There was an increase of 3% on the road tax from yesterday in Tamil Nadu so the tax went up by Rs 27000/-. The saving on the insurance kind of offsets this.

I had considered Grand i10 Nios Sportz AMT Tata Tiago Ev and the Maruti Suzuki Baleno Delta AMT along with the i20.

There was a difference of 1.7 Lacs between the i10 and i20 and the Baleno similar variant was around Rs 50000 lesser than i20.

Both Baleno and i10 have the AMT gear box while the i20 has the CVT this was the main factor for me to opt for the i20.

The Tata Tiago EV MR XT was costing around Rs 50000/- less than the i20 on road price but that was a very basic version without so many comfort features.

The higher versions of the Tiago EV were costing more than the on road i20 price even after the Rs 40000 discount which Tata had announce today.My running is also not that much as it’s going to be a second car. So getting a basic version EV was not making sense. Plus the interiors of the Tiago are very basic compared to the i10/i20/Baleno.

I have a few queries.

1) When the dealer offers a discount on the ex showroom price then he will invoice the amount after discount to the customer, hence the road tax should be on this amount only but they say they will take the road tax on the original ex showroom price. is it the right way of calculating ?

2) Has anyone taken insurance from ACKO? They are quoting Rs 21000/- including GST on the IDV of Rs 9.37 for comprehensive bumper to bumper insurance for 1 year + 3 years third party. Whereas the dealer had quoted Rs 54416/-.

3) What is the mileage can I expect in city traffic?
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 21:06   #666

2023 Hyundai i20 Sportz IVT: A Review of Glitches and Resolutions

Hello fellow TBHPians,

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother who recently purchased an i20 and this is his account of his delivery experience, initial review and the niggles experienced since then.
Here we go:

Owning a new car is an exciting experience, and my Hyundai i20 in Fiery Red, Sportz variant with IVT transmission, undoubtedly brings a sense of pride. However, like any new purchase, the journey comes with its sets of challenges and discoveries.

Delivery and Initial Impressions:
My Hyundai i20 was registered on October 20th, 2023, and delivered on October 24th from Kun Hyundai in Chennai. The colour choice, Fiery Red, adds a vibrant touch to the Sportz variant, featuring the IVT transmission. Excitement turned to concern as unexpected issues emerged, leading to a series of adjustments and upgrades.

Tyre Disappointment and Upgrade:
The car came with CEAT tyres and disappointingly, the CEAT tires (195/55 R16) didn't meet my expectations, leading me to opt for an upgrade to Continental tyres with a size of 205/55 R16 for improved performance and aesthetics. The decision to maintain the same rim size while enhancing performance is a common modification among car enthusiasts.

Interior Modifications:
The Sportz variant revealed its limitations – no leather door pads, a non-leather-wrapped steering wheel, and a non-movable center armrest. A notable departure from the Asta and Asta(O) variants left me pondering the true definition of "premium hatchback.". To address this, I decided to wrap the door pads and the steering wheel, giving my i20 a personalized touch.

Further modifications included damping the bonnet, which, unfortunately, led to unintended consequences. I invested in a Blaupunkt 6mm bonnet damping sheet with the expectation of reducing engine noise and enhancing heat absorption. Regrettably, the professionals at the accessories shop failed to secure it adequately. Glitches emerged, with the sheet inadequately sticking, particularly at the edges, and the central portion of the bonnet resisted proper adhesion. Despite employing rollers in an attempt to rectify the issue, the persistent detachment of the sheet left me dissatisfied with the results. Fearing potential complications within the engine bay, I ultimately decided to remove it altogether. Beige upholstery proved susceptible to stains, necessitating the addition of Jackspeed seat covers for both practicality and aesthetics.

Audio System Issues:
Upon delivery, I encountered issues with door vibrations particularly on the front passenger door while playing music. Despite seeking assistance from Hyundai's customer care and service technicians, the provided solutions were unsatisfactory. Frustrated, I took matters into my own hands, choosing to dampen the doors independently, which I will be doing soon.

Unsatisfactory Build Quality:
Beyond the initial audio issues, I faced additional challenges. The removal of rear headrests and fog lamps, the absence of damping in the doors during manufacturing, and the unexpected vibrations in the steering wheel after turning on the air conditioner have contributed to a series of disappointments. A persistent issue with the steering wheel vibrating, particularly when the air conditioner was engaged, became a source of frustration.

Service Center Experience:
I visited the Hyundai service center due to vibrations in my new car's steering wheel and general vibrations when the air conditioner was switched on. Initially, a technician claimed it was normal for a new car, but I insisted on a senior technician. After a road test, the senior technician acknowledged the issue and was told that the car needs to be kept at the service centre for a deeper inspection, suggesting a possible manufacturing defect.

I was promised a call the next day at 12pm but didn't receive one until two hours later, at around 2:30pm informing me that the problem was rectified by adjusting the torque. Despite confusion about this solution, I returned to the service center for a road test. The vibrations persisted, and when questioning the technicians about the problem, they couldn't provide a satisfying explanation, mentioning the removal and refixing of some components in the engine bay.

Despite the service, the vibrations continued, leaving me dissatisfied and questioning the competence of Hyundai's experienced mechanics. The issue has significantly impacted my driving experience.

Conclusion:
Owning a Hyundai i20 Sportz IVT has been a rollercoaster of experiences, ranging from initial excitement to frustration with various glitches. My determination to address these issues independently showcases my commitment to ensuring a satisfactory driving experience. As my journey with the i20 continues, one can only hope that Hyundai addresses these concerns, providing solutions that match the premium expectations associated with the brand. My experience, though challenging, offers valuable insights for potential Hyundai buyers and highlights the importance of thorough research and consideration when choosing a new vehicle.
If anyone can provide any insights as to what might be causing this vibration to occur, please do let us know.
Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 20th November 2023 at 08:48.
Old 23rd November 2023, 13:37   #667
BHPian

My Bluelink will be expiring next week. Any idea how to renew it?
Old 23rd November 2023, 23:38   #668
BHPian

Get in touch with your usual service workshop. The service manager should be able to assist you with it.
Old 26th November 2023, 00:03   #669
BHPian

Guys, now that Hyundai has stopped iMT totally and only KIA has iMT, what happens to spare support for existing owners who have bought iMT? what if their iMT unit has issues just after the warranty period, will the parts be still available?
Old 26th November 2023, 05:37   #670
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Guys, now that Hyundai has stopped iMT totally and only KIA has iMT, what happens to spare support for existing owners who have bought iMT? what if their iMT unit has issues just after the warranty period, will the parts be still available?
Don't worry Kia and Hyundai are sister brands and almost all major parts like engine, transmission, etc are shared among them, Kia has taken up iMT on a large scale with all their models (Sonet, Seltos, and Carens) offering the iMT, the New Seltos Diesel doesn't even have a proper manual and gets a Diesel iMT.

Hyundai may have ditched the iMT in favor of manuals, but Kia ain't doing so. so you needn't be worried, parts will be easily available
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 12:20   #671
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai i20 Sportz IVT: A Review of Glitches and Resolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarCrack View Post
Hello fellow TBHPians,

Tyre Disappointment and Upgrade:
The car came with CEAT tyres and disappointingly, the CEAT tires (195/55 R16) didn't meet my expectations, leading me to opt for an upgrade to Continental tyres with a size of 205/55 R16 for improved performance and aesthetics. The decision to maintain the same rim size while enhancing performance is a common modification among car enthusiasts.
Cheers!
Hi mate,

Congrats on your new i20!

That was a detail write up on your initial ownership experience.

I too took delivery of the similar variant in Starry night last evening from KUN Hyundai. I am missing the rear armrest most and find the tyres not adequate as stated by you.

I am also thinking of upgrading to the Continental 205/55/R16 tyres.

Just wanted to know how much did the Conti 205/55/R16 tyres cost? And how much did the Ceat tyres were valued at exchange?If you could also share details of the shop would be great.

Thank you.
Old 11th December 2023, 12:33   #672
BHPian

It’s been 12 days since I got the i20 Sportz iVT and I thought I’d put out some initial impressions.

There is a grunt in the engine at idle and also at low RPM’s. It’s quiet unlike for a petrol motor.

On a single tank full I could drive for 280 kms. That was about 8 kms/litre. I hope the mileage increases in the future.

There is major discrepancy in what the Distance to Empty shows and the actual running of the car. It is not at all accurate. When I filled up the tank it was showing 657kms range but as mentioned above I did only about 280kms and the DTE was showing another 25kms. No idea on what basis the DTE is calculated by the car’s computer. For every 500meters of distance at least 3 kms comes down in the DTE meter. What is the point to show an inflated range only to not actually give the actual values. The DTE should be linked to the fuel efficiency calculator on board so that it can give out real world figures. Or wait is the fuel economy system is not working properly too??

Hyundai i20 Review-img_8023.jpeg

Also there is discrepancy in the TPMS values. I have checked the Tyre air pressure twice since taking the delivery of the vehicle and have kept it at 28psi for all tires. But the on board TPMS shows 32psi for front tires and 31psi for rear tires.

What is the point of having so many onboard systems if they do not work properly?
Old 11th December 2023, 14:58   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
On a single tank full I could drive for 280 kms. That was about 8 kms/litre. I hope the mileage increases in the future.

There is major discrepancy in what the Distance to Empty shows and the actual running of the car. It is not at all accurate. When I filled up the tank it was showing 657kms range but as mentioned above I did only about 280kms and the DTE was showing another 25kms. No idea on what basis the DTE is calculated by the car’s computer. For every 500meters of distance at least 3 kms comes down in the DTE meter. What is the point to show an inflated range only to not actually give the actual values. The DTE should be linked to the fuel efficiency calculator on board so that it can give out real world figures. Or wait is the fuel economy system is not working properly too??

Attachment 2542331

Also there is discrepancy in the TPMS values. I have checked the Tyre air pressure twice since taking the delivery of the vehicle and have kept it at 28psi for all tires. But the on board TPMS shows 32psi for front tires and 31psi for rear tires.

What is the point of having so many onboard systems if they do not work properly?
When you get the tank full it will display the maximum range possible. Once we start driving it keeps adjusting according to our driving. In my case once I stop for sometime and then start back it adjusts correctly. I always keep a buffer of 30-40kms but more or less it matches. Coming to the tpms, there will always be 1 psi here or there and it won't be hundred percent accurate.
Also the recommended pressure is 33 front and 31 rear, if it is 28 psi then I think it should sound the alert.
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:00   #674

Is it possible to upgrade to Asta alloy wheels for sportz variant and how much does it cost?
Old 17th December 2023, 11:46   #675
BHPian

I am considering purchasing the i20 magna MT variant in Bangalore. I have noticed in the instrument panel pictures on this thread that there is a warning light for all the seatbelts not plugged in, even where there is a single occupant in the car. Is it the same system as in the maruti cars, where all the seatbelts have to be plugged in irrespective of the occupants in the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks