Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2020, 08:20   #61
BHPian

Re: MG Gloster : Official Review

Excellent review. Very detailed and on the point.

The review does seem to suggest that MG Gloster is a mishmash of design elements from various brands. The lack of a common single signature element from the front across the MG models suggests MG is picking cars from its mother and sister brands.

OMG that GLOSTER badge at the rear, looks like an imposition from school for spelling something wrong! I thought Alturas badging at the rear was worse. This is right up there.
vshankarhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

My colleague bought Gloster just before Deepawali and I drove it last week. And I fully agree with the following observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
MG Gloster Cons:
• Engine and gearbox tuning are shockingly terrible inside town. Turbo lag and the gearbox's reluctance to downshift make things awful in city traffic
Its pain to drive Gloster in traffic and you feel like nudging a buffalo to pull the cart. Twin Turbo is practically useless in city traffic due to massive lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The driver seat also gets a unique massage function ... one bug I found was that the lumbar support had a mind of its own. Every time I got into the car, I would need to adjust the lumbar support as it would be too excessive
I never felt comfortable in the driver seat. My friend had used the massage function and I couldn't get it back to original position. May be I need to read/ watch the manual again.

Quote:

Automatic parking assist

It's not designed/ tuned for Indian parking spaces/ requirements. It simply refused to park in locations where I could easily park myself. I think it's designed for parking spaces where there's ample gap between adjacent vehicle. In India, such places don't exist. If that much space is left, you'll find a bike or two or even a Nano parked in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzer View Post
1) What does BRIT dynamic even mean? Has any BRIT ever laid their hands on one of these?
2) INTERNET INSIDE and the huge GLOSTER rear badge is cheesy and hideous.
+100. If it was upto me, I would have scrapped off these badges on the day of delivery itself.

MG Gloster : Official Review-pa020814.jpg

MG Gloster : Official Review-pa020818.jpg

MG Gloster : Official Review-pa020817.jpg

MG Gloster : Official Review-pa020819.jpg

Last edited by AutoNoob : 26th November 2020 at 16:08.
AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:47   #63
BHPian

I got a chance to TD the Gloster a week back. It was a mix of city drive and a short highway drive. I completely agree with @Vid6639, if you a Petrol Head, look elsewhere. It still is a decent car if you just want to use it for those long highway drives with your family; but the driveability is nowhere close to Ford Endeavour.

If you have 40L in your pocket and looking for a real SUV, still go with Ford or Toyota.

MG Gloster : Official Review-endy.jpg

If you are looking for a car to do comfortable highway journeys close your eyes and go ahead buying a Kia Carnival

MG Gloster : Official Review-carnival.jpg

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 27th November 2020 at 17:13. Reason: Mod note attached.
₹itzylove is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 07:53   #64
BHPian

As always. Great review. However, a lot of customers will be flocking to it because of the chrome and "internet inside" features. By the said tune and small powerband, they will keep enthusiasts away because the common folk doesn't car much about power. I'd say drop this, get an Endeavour and a remap.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 16:30   #65
BHPian

Not sure why I'm finding this review quite short compared to other Team-BHP reviews.
I recollect reviews with an entire section dedicated to covering the In-Car Entertainment.
Then there are also sections such as "Other Points" and "Small yet significant things".
I also don't see any mention of the spare wheel, whether it's a full size alloy or if they've done some cost cutting there.

Not sure if these things will be added later or if this is the final review.
I'm also curious of the service intervals prescribed by MG, have they suggested 6 months/5,000 KMs or 1 year/10,000 KMs for the service intervals.

Last edited by greatgyan : 27th November 2020 at 16:32. Reason: typo
greatgyan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a white Gloster near Akshardham Temple, Delhi on the Bhaidooj day. Yes it was a vehicle that's been delivered to owner.

The moment I spotted it (bit far off) I was bit confused if it's a Gloster or Alturas. But as I got nearer it's really easy to differentiate the two, as both shout their names from the boot. Somehow it didn't look that big in the White shade it was. Nothing more to say as the road is "makkhan" & it's really difficult to gauge ride & the driver seemed careful with drive-in period.
Old 27th November 2020, 22:39   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
Not sure why I'm finding this review quite short compared to other Team-BHP reviews.
This should answer your question :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4938793 (Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work)
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 09:12   #68
BHPian

This Juggernaut from MG seems to have a lot of features and usable space. On paper it does look good, but I get the feeling that the company is trying too hard to impress. They are trying hard to mask the Chinese ownership and projecting it as a British erstwhile MG design with the badge and what not, but I feel its very much overpriced for what it offers.

The excessive use of cheap badges like 'internet inside' and touches such as the two faux exhausts give it a very tacky and cheap feel. It would indeed be brave person who will plonk almost 40 lac onroad, for this vehicle while choosing it over the Fortuner or Endeavour.

I for one, if I had the moolah to invest, will not venture anywhere near the current MG brand.

Cheerio!

Last edited by alphadog : 28th November 2020 at 09:14. Reason: T fort changed to Fortuner.
Old 30th November 2020, 16:19   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJack View Post
There is this video by a Youtuber (will link below) reviewing the Gloster. It is clear that the car is struggling to get over a very simple "off road" track which most front wheel drive vehicles can easily go through. The car even threw a transmission warning at the end.https://Youtu.be/WkOQzratuCk
He had sold his MG Hector due to the issue he had with MG after this GLOSTER critic review and now he got himself a HARRIER to replace his Hector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Sujith Bhaktan, one of the most famous Kerala Vlogger who recently had a big showdown with PR department of MG motors over a gloster test drive report has sold his MG Hector and bought Dual Tone Top end TATA Harrier.

PS: Sujith has a Youtube channels TTE(tech travel eat) which has close to 1.5 million subscribers and has been one of the most vocal MG supporter as he himself was one of the first customer of hector is Southern Kerala.
MG Gloster : Official Review-fb_img_1606715697898.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 30th November 2020 at 16:20.
kamilharis is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 12:06   #70
BHPian

I am considering getting this car since it fits my requirements well, but am a little concerned with the power dynamics. Endeavor/Alturas are not options for me because of service issues, which brings it to Fortuner and Gloster. Fortuner was much peppier, but then the feature lists are leagues apart. Also, I'm tired of waiting for a Fortuner facelift. Other than the China angle, and cosmetics like badges, are there any other issues with MG?
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 16:38   #71
BHPian

What china angle? Jaguar, Landrover sales are very much high in china and now owned by tatas. Also mobile brands xiomi, oppo all are Chinese , so I feel this angle will not make any difference .
vindrider2626 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Endeavor/Alturas are not options for me because of service issues, which brings it to Fortuner and Gloster.
It is quite strange to read that you are not considering Endeavour. Ford has much better service network than MG.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:04   #73
BHPian

Well, it all depends on location. In my neck of the woods the Ford showroom has been a hot potato jumping between dealers. And since the pandemic, they have completely closed down. When I called them, they asked me to go to Belgaum (~ 4 hours drive) to take a test drive. Also, on a personal level, I owned a Ford Explorer 2010 and Endevaour seems to have exact same interiors and features, which kind of puts me off.

Similar story with Mahindra, but at least they have a new showroom that is opening up. I called for an Alturas test drive and they don't have one. They are still looking for a 'previous owner' to see if they can arrange it.

For MG, my hope is that with their aggressive growth plan, they won't be closing down service centers. But I am concerned about going with an unknown brand and also quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
It is quite strange to read that you are not considering Endeavour. Ford has much better service network than MG.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:32   #74
BHPian

Launched on 8th October 2020 , MG shipped first batch of GLOSTER with decent volume ! Let's see how it goes for the next 6 months . Fortuner refresh will be launched soon too!
MG Gloster : Official Review-premiumsuvsalesnovember20201.jpg
Autopunditz

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 3rd December 2020 at 16:35.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:49   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Launched on 8th October 2020 , MG shipped first batch of GLOSTER with decent volume ! Let's see how it goes for the next 6 months . Fortuner refresh will be launched soon too!
Attachment 2088809
Autopunditz
The Gloster shipping mostly should be display and demo cars right ? Did they ship any Glosters in October ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks