Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 23:10   #16
BHPian

Re: MG Gloster : Official Review

Thank you for the detailed review. Covers almost every detail one would need to know about a car. I am closely watching this segment for my XUV500's replacement due in 2 years

My key takeaways -
Gloster is huge. Respect is guaranteed on the road due to massive street presence.

Gloster looks proportionate. No unnecessary creases/cuts - in the same breath I would say some bits are immature like GLOSTER in Monster sized fonts, Quad exausts etc. And that "Internet Inside" thing for God's sake! I had tough time explaining it to my 9 years old daughter.
Though the Hector Plus' front looks sharper than the Gloster's

Well kitted - nuff said. Taking clues from BMWs and executing it well is not easy!

Will it replace my XUV?
No! Due to these 3 reasons:
1. Engine + Gearbox: Source is unknown/less known, reliability is to be proven and initial reports are not promising. And then this one positions itself against the Fortuner/Endeavour
2. Hardware (Twin Turbo) and gizmos sound very complicated and repairs can be complicated (AND expensive)
3. Compulsory captain seats in 2nd row! Foldable 2nd and 3rd rows are super useful
Zinda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 00:22   #17
BHPian

Happened to see the Gloster today - near Bund Garden Road Pune - incidentally parked next to a second generation (India) Fortuner. In one word - ‘presence’. For a second I thought it’s an Audi. If MG plays it’s cards right this will be a contender for city slickers - doubt that the ‘starched white kurta/shirt gang’ will move away from the Fortuner or Endeavour though. This crowd loves large SUV’s. Modified grills (Endeavour with that large FORD grille) and dark tints with White colours is what will sell. Sorry for digressing!
The big question is reliability - it is easy convincing a hector customer whose car failed him in whatever way - but this will be a tough crowd to please.

TBH I don’t love the brand, a bit of a nationalist that I am. But hey, a good car is a good car...
torquecurve is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 01:29   #18
BHPian

That design is very unflattering and already looks dated. Definitely not worthy of a car costing upwards of Rs 25 L.
thehighwayman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 04:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

The badging is over the top, seems like the work of an over-enthusiastic teenager who got carried away. MG can get away with this on the Hector, but certainly not on the Gloster.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You can floor the A pedal, make yourself a cup of coffee and come back before the engine + gearbox have figured out what you need. Only then does the Gloster surge forward. Overall, it seems to be a combination of bad gearbox tuning as well as turbo lag.
Thanks Vid for the detailed review. This being a twin turbo, I'm just wondering how there's a turbo lag in slower speeds. Is it a sequential turbo charging or a parallel set up? This kind of shoddy job on tuning is deplorable. What stopped them from testing all these attributes. Or does MG expect all their Gloster owners to be chauffeur driven. And this is supposedly their flagship product. Not enough MG !

Edit : Just found a related post on this by bhpian Vinair. If we go by this, there are no physical two turbos. Not sure how safe can we conclude on this.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4909284 (The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th November 2020 at 09:31.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thanks Vid for the detailed review. This being a twin turbo, I'm just wondering how there's a turbo lag in slower speeds. Is it a sequential turbo charging or a parallel set up? This kind of shoddy job on tuning is deplorable. What stopped them from testing all these attributes. Or does MG expect all their Gloster owners to be chauffeur driven.
We had asked MG regarding this query after the drive, whether it is a single twin scroll turbo or is it physical twin turbos. I was not able to make out as the engine bay was fully covered with plastic. But since MG has not got back we have assumed this is 2 physical turbos going by their literature. The lower end model is single turbo.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th November 2020 at 09:32.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
If MG plays it’s cards right this will be a contender for city slickers - doubt that the ‘starched white kurta/shirt gang’ will move away from the Fortuner or Endeavour though. This crowd loves large SUV’s.
We thought that the M&M Alturas would also take over the ‘white kurta’ market if it does not gain popularity with the general populace, but that is not what happened and the Alturas is still a failure speaking in terms of numbers. The white kurta men will stick to their Endeavours and Fortuners for the moment.

The interior looks like someone put a BMW’s in a photocopy machine. Like the Hector, here too, MG Motor have overdone the car’s design.

The design is appalling and they are not fooling anyone with the BRIT DYNAMIC badge. The much hated humongous

G L O S T E R

badge and other badges like the ‘internet inside’ badge have no place on a car that costs north of 40 Big Ones, and the styling of the car already looks aged, at least in this color.

Now that I am aware (from Team-BHP) even ride quality is horrible and so is the gearbox, suspension and other mechanics of the vehicle. The performance sounds sickening too so I doubt if this would be a sales success.

That said, the autonomous technology; AEB and others might be a plus point but it is not much to hype and I can see that the Gloster will also kick the bucket soon.

Last edited by EightSix : 25th November 2020 at 10:05.
EightSix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
We had asked MG regarding this query after the drive, whether it is a single twin scroll turbo or is it physical twin turbos. I was not able to make out as the engine bay was fully covered with plastic. But since MG has not got back we have assumed this is 2 physical turbos going by their literature. The lower end model is single turbo.
Did you get a chance to try the single turbo version? If so how was the driveability in that ?
Old 25th November 2020, 09:55   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's not a perfect car, but then, no car is (perfect). I wouldn't mind recommending the Gloster to someone if it was 5 lakhs cheaper. But at this price, the Fortuner & Endeavour are no-brainers. They offer a far superior overall experience.

That said, if someone is looking primarily at a highway cruiser, this is definitely a more suitable choice than the bumpy Fortuner. The Gloster sails really smoothly on the open road. It's very, very comfortable.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 11:54   #25
BHPian

There is this video by a youtuber (will link below) reviewing the Gloster. It is clear that the car is struggling to get over a very simple "off road" track which most front wheel drive vehicles can easily go through. The car even threw a transmission warning at the end. This youtuber is not an automobile journalist or a car expert but he was able to take an endeavour through some really really bad roads without getting stuck.The car is a media car (all the more reason to not suck) I mean I have taken a friend's RWD bolero with almost no treads through much worse roads and I don't even have any experience off-roading. This review is in Malayalam but that won't be a problem.
BoJack is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:21   #26
BHPian

I would not mind having a gloster. If:
1) Chauffeured. &
2) Company Owned - Company Maintained.

But, the tiny petrol head in my would not allow me to buy this as my personal primary car.
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:34   #27

Excellent review

While MG may not offer the robust & reliability of the competition, I feel that they are really trying hard to achieve a respectable market share in the segments they are competing. They have progressed well with the Ride & Handling compared to the Hector. The Engine & Gearbox tuning is something that Europeans are well versed but it does come to them at the cost of being around in the Industry for so long. The Chinese will get it right some day.

As for as details, I believe that engine bay speaks, for it, being so neatly designed & concealed. Lets see how the market responds given the current geopolitical sentiments.

Last edited by acarun.vel : 25th November 2020 at 12:47. Reason: Removed quoted URL.
acarun.vel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The MID gives you ample warning to fill up; here, we still have 2400 km to go:
Attachment 2073676
2,400kms to go, on this 75L tank diesel vehicle; are you sure?

MG Gloster mileage is 12.4 Kmpl, as per ARAI.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
2,400kms to go, on this 75L tank diesel vehicle; are you sure?

MG Gloster mileage is 12.4 Kmpl, as per ARAI.
That's the indicator for AdBlue or DEF which will last for another 2400 kms before needing a refill.
ashis89 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 13:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
That's the indicator for AdBlue or DEF which will last for another 2400 kms before needing a refill.
Copied; was not aware of this.

Quote from https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-is...need-it/n16545

"AdBlue is the trade name for a type of diesel exhaust fluid. It's a mixture of urea and deionised water that's stored in a separate tank from the car's fuel. When the car's engine is running, tiny amounts of AdBlue are squirted onto the exhaust gas produced, turning the NOx into nitrogen and water."

Edit:

Reading this now: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...te-filter.html (FAQs about DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter))

Last edited by HappyWheels : 25th November 2020 at 13:22.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks