Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2021, 15:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

I had some spare time today, so did a quick comparo (attached below) between XM/XT/XZ. Even though the XM is quite decently kitted, I have a feeling that the XT variant will be the most VFM, once prices are announced. I will most probably be in the market for a replacement for my Scorpio in Q4 2021 and the Safari will definitely be a contender. Btw, does anyone know what the interior colour scheme will be for XM & XT?

2021 Tata Safari Review-safari.jpg

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st February 2021 at 15:40.
comfortablynumb is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Talk away on dealers needing to up their game on knowledge, intent and PR, but expecting different treatment just basis price of the car is pretty poor for 2021.
- Why do you think Next came into existence ??

- Someone spending 2.5 millions will expect preferential treatment

Sad from "humane", but Business as usual from "Business perspective "
Sk8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Did not see any reference to fuel tank capacity in the review, hence posting separately. It is a measly 50 lit - certainly not enough for those who intend to use the 2021 Safari as a highway express! The 2020 Mahindra Thar gets a 57 lit tank and the Jeep Compass has a 60 lit tank! We are talking about a 7-seater SUV here, which will be used by many families for highway runs. What was Tata thinking?!

On a lighter note, now we know the reason behind high load rating of the roof rack! Those Ladakh/Spiti trips will definitely need you to haul drums of diesel on the roof

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st February 2021 at 16:12.
cool_dube is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
Thanks for the great review!

Absolutely right! Just echoed my wish! It would have made the Safari look really awesome, more connected to the original Safari’s looks & simultaneously differentiating it properly from Harrier!
I will slightly differ on this point. Original Safari though admired for its looks had lots of issues attributed specifically due to unwieldy and heavy tire sitting in the back. It was herculean task to take it down or up in case of a puncture. Also it made back door extremely difficult to operate for an average person. I personally think that New look is more refined, though it is less on macho side and more on refined well sculpted side (Fortuner vs CRV/Santa Fe).

I have seen lots of people criticizing lack of boot space and even comparing it with Sub 4m cars. I am sure given the length of car, lack of boot space means there is genuine space available for 2nd row people and decent 3rd row occupants space, which in sub 4m will be unimaginable.

Hope it clicks well for Tata (provided they price it well and aggressively).
abhijet.sen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

What was Tata thinking?!
They must be thinking that the previous Safari weighed 2 tonnes+ and had a 55 litre fuel tank, this was never an issue.

So the new 1.8 tonne Safari with a 50 litre tank should be capable of more range!
shortbread is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:17   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
They must be thinking that the previous Safari weighed 2 tonnes+ and had a 55 litre fuel tank, this was never an issue.

So the new 1.8 tonne Safari with a 50 litre tank should be capable of more range!
Exactly, my Storme gets me 600 km to a full tank. I think that's more than enough range.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
What was Tata thinking?!
On a lighter note, maybe they are trying to reduce your spend for a tankful, given how the fuel prices are rising.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Exactly, my Storme gets me 600 km to a full tank. I think that's more than enough range.
A couple of weeks back, I have managed 670 kms and there was still probably another few liters in the tank.

I expect this new 2 liter engine to give better mileage than my 2.2 Storme, so the range should have been improved.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Why are they using US English 'tire' on tyre? Not many in India know 'tire' is US speak for tyre. People will think it is mis-spelt. Especially when tire has it own meaning, as in tiredness. Why leave a room for criticism even before it takes off?
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Aditya.

My younger brother is thinking of changing over from his Honda City to something more rugged and importantly with a lot more ground clearance.

Family of 3. So no need for a 7 seater.

Reading about the actual ground clearance of this new Safari which confirms why it never came with floorboards in the first place, I'm even more convinced that this is Tata moving away from what it was once the undisputed budget Indian leader of.

Confused thinking. Confused leadership. Zero continuity of vision and product line positioning and evolution.

Chop and start. And chop again and start somewhere else.

No one on any new Safari thread has mentioned the mind bogglingly huge elephant in the room (forum/thread).

That from every view, the new Safari now resembles the Mahindra XUV500, with minor fascia differences.

The shell, silhouette, and stance is now IDENTICAL.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 17:25   #56
BHPian

A very good crisp review. This car's positioning is as a refined family car that can also do some weekend trips. Hexa was positioned as a premium offroader when Tata used to sell Safari as well. I think it's smart repositioning of the brand. All the best to Tata. Hope they bring an AWD in future.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 23:34. Reason: Typos
busydrive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st February 2021, 17:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
They must be thinking that the previous Safari weighed 2 tonnes+ and had a 55 litre fuel tank, this was never an issue
I'd say they had a chance to correct that "mistake" but chose not to Most sedans and even some hatchbacks have 50-lit fuel tank these days! A 7-seater SUV definitely deserves more, I'd reckon.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 18:05   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

No one on any new Safari thread has mentioned the mind bogglingly huge elephant in the room (forum/thread).

That from every view, the new Safari now resembles the Mahindra XUV500, with minor fascia differences.

The shell, silhouette, and stance is now IDENTICAL.

Cheers, Doc
Could you explain this please? I did not understand. How exactly does the Safari resemble the XUV? They look nothing alike.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 19:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Could you explain this please? I did not understand. How exactly does the Safari resemble the XUV? They look nothing alike.
To me they look like identical twins dressed in slightly different clothes.

Front. Side. Rear. Front three quarter.

There is an Indian channel which has them side by side. It's uncanny.

Someone in Tata has eyed the XUV pie and the Storme and Harrier and Hexa sales and done simple arithmetic.

Cheers, Doc
Old 1st February 2021, 20:23   #60
BHPian

Still I cannot digest the measly boot space! When the sub 4 meter cars like Triber also can manage to provide better boot space! And if we think about compensating the 3rd row space; even after calling the 3rd row as 3 seater(as opposed to 2 seater in Safari), Marazzo does have better boot space! Wish Tata could do the space management in a more thoughtful manner!

And regarding the price, I am expecting it to be staring from 50 thousand more than the Harrier base version, so it may hover around 14.5 lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks