Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 12:24   #166
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Me and family went to Sai Baba Motors, Pune, on Saturday to check out the Safari. They had 6 seater automatic variant for display and 7 seater manual for test drive. The automatic is yet to arrive for TD.

The showroom was fully packed with customers checking out Altroz, Nexon and Tiago. The crowd had started arriving for Safari now that the bookings are open. I have never seen a Tata showroom so much crowded!

Coming back to Safari, based on what I observed briefly without TD:

What I like:
1. The vehicle looks stunning from outside and Blue color looks premium. The chrome on the front grill could have been reduced but it looks better in person as compared to pics.
2. The size looks proportionate from all angles and gives a feel of a big SUV. Its not as massive as Forturner but still looks bigger than Harrier. While the front end is same as Harrier, there are enough elements to differentiate from side and rear.
3. The interiors look upmarket and premium. The off-white color really make the interior feel airy. The panoramic sunroof makes things even better. The downside will be that it will be difficult to keep it clean.
4. The third row access in 7 seater is easy and it is usable for medium sized adults and kids for few hours drive. Yes you still sit knees up but its much better than Hector Plus. Also, the passengers won't feel claustrophobic.
5. The flexible seating arrangement compensates for the non-existing boot space. It meets my requirement at-least as I shall be having max 6 people (including 2 kids) most of the time. 3rd row when folded opens up big boot space.
6. Comfortable bench seat with lots of legroom and headroom.
7. All the other features which have been covered by official review and numerous videos online.

What I didn't like:
1. White interiors and seats.
2. Missing equipment, especially 360 degree camera. The current setup has poor camera quality and for the size of safari, all round camera is sorely missed.
3. Missing headrest for middle passenger on the bench seat and floor hump. While the hump is not excessively tall and is flat, combined with missing headrest, the middle passenger will be somewhat in discomfort for long drive.
4. Lack of proper cooled glovebox. The pocket under the armrest is too small for cooling any decent sized bottles.

I have pre-booked XZA+ variant. No delivery timeline is given as no official word from Tata as yet. My kids and wife are fully sold on Safari. I am almost there but awaiting the automatic TD and price reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took the Safari out for a long drive and enjoyed cruising in Tata's latest:
Thanks . Going by the TBHP official review and GTO's summary, I am sure the drive should be sorted. Unless the price is too high, I will prefer to go with Safari instead of Harrier due to usable 3rd row, added features and bigger size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
It will not be a very clean install probably if you want an adjustable one.
Thanks, I was thinking of more of the fixed one. Agree that adjustable will mean fiddling with seats and not recommended.

Last edited by varman742 : 8th February 2021 at 12:34.
varman742 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 12:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or - should one buy 2 Nexons (or any CSUVs) within about 21 Lakhs, and have 10 seats + loads of luggage space, better mileage, redundancy around year with a car always available & lesser ownership costs? This was of course a discussion on a lighter note.
I don't know, but this makes lot of sense to me? If one is buying 7 seater for going on a trip with large-ish family all together, where does the luggage go?
I see that the luggage space is extremely tight and probably only swallows a thick laptop bag or a backpack.
The only option is to have a over head roof carriage but the legality of that was in question (for non-transport vehicle) a few days ago elsewhere on the site.

Or may be people aren't buying it for a family trip as I imagine.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 15:15   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
y. Since the front pane of the sunroof in the Harrier/2021 Safari, ie the part of the sunroof that opens, does so over the rear glass pane of the sunroof ("outside" the car), the roof rails are just cosmetic on the Safari models with panoramic sunroof.
Agreed. It's a cosmetic roofrail for the sunroof model of Safari.

But I guess there's a trade off here. As expensive a trade off as it is, the outside opening frees up headroom in the cabin.

The contraption inside the car for such vehicles which retract inside does hinder the available headroom. The Endeavour for example brushes my head (6'0) even in the driver's seat when seat raised to my driving height. I found that the Harrier/Safari liberates that much more headroom in second row as well. The Safari with its stadium seating with raised second row would've been headroom restricted severely if the roof were to slide in.

It's more of a design alternative than an engineering malice. Even the Range Rover Sport for instance opens it outside the car.

Similar trade off has been done for what I gather as the best in class third row resulting in the worst in class luggage space with all rows up.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 15:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would buy the Safari over the Harrier simply because of the 3rd-row seat, and that iconic "Safari" brand. Even if I use the 3rd-row seat just once in 2 months, it's still eliminated the need for a 2nd car 6 times a year. With a big group of family & friends, more seats are always welcome.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Would you go for a 6 seater or 7 seater configuration?
Looking at Harrier 2019 v/s 2020, I'll surely wait for Safari 2022!!

Last edited by HammerHead : 8th February 2021 at 15:29.
Old 8th February 2021, 16:33   #170
BHPian

Has anybody been able to test drive the Safari in Delhi-NCR? If so please mention the showroom name and location here.
Old 8th February 2021, 17:47   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Has anybody been able to test drive the Safari in Delhi-NCR? If so please mention the showroom name and location here.
I did a test drive yesterday at Tata Arya Gurgaon Showroom (golf course road). Had to wait for about 10 mins.
dexter78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 19:18   #172
BHPian

If the last row of seats is only good for kids or short people, why don't manufacturers raise the hight of the seat a bit and provide a decent under thigh support?

Today while checking out altroz turbo i sat inside the safari to have a feel. The last bench felt good to me allover but after looking at the amount of headroom left(i'm 5'7) and the under thigh support available i just thought about a little bit raised last bench.

But manufacturers have to think about every case scenario, so knees up position it is.
Old 8th February 2021, 20:23   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
If the last row of seats is only good for kids or short people, why don't manufacturers raise the hight of the seat a bit and provide a decent under thigh support?
More than the seat height of the 3rd row, it is the length of the seat bottom that is kept intentionally smaller so as to create an illusion of larger legroom. Just compare the seat bottom's length of middle and last row. There will be a substantial difference.

Another justification is that, in a family of 7, there will be atleast a couple of kids, or even if that is not the case, there will be a few short people (5'6 and below) who can still be at reasonable comfort at the 3rd row.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:48   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
More than the seat height of the 3rd row, it is the length of the seat bottom that is kept intentionally smaller so as to create an illusion of larger legroom. Just compare the seat bottom's length of middle and last row. There will be a substantial difference.

Another justification is that, in a family of 7, there will be atleast a couple of kids, or even if that is not the case, there will be a few short people (5'6 and below) who can still be at reasonable comfort at the 3rd row.
Looks like the middle row bench version that tumbles forward allow easy ingress and egress for the 3rd row and a fully functional weight bearing set of roof rails for a luggage rack is the way to go for large families or even a grown up family of 5 (like mine).

That said, a few points that I'd like to know about or night have missed.

1) Does the middle row bench have adjustable declinable backrest (unlike the earlier Safari/Storme)? That is a huge luxury on long drives. And though the center bench is really nice to sit on, when you want to doze that does prove uncomfortable.

2) Why can't you have sliding power windows for the 3rd row? If the wheel arches are a hindrance for full way down, at least allowing them to slide part way? For air, and to ease the feeling of penned in claustrophobia. Just looking at that airplane type deep set glass in the photos is giving me the willies.

3) Can we get a good review of the Manual version please? Never driven an automatic. Probably never will. When I test this car, I'll look for the Manual myself.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:04   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
1) Does the middle row bench have adjustable declinable backrest (unlike the earlier Safari/Storme)? That is a huge luxury on long drives. And though the center bench is really nice to sit on, when you want to doze that does prove uncomfortable.

2) Why can't you have sliding power windows for the 3rd row? If the wheel arches are a hindrance for full way down, at least allowing them to slide part way? For air, and to ease the feeling of penned in claustrophobia. Just looking at that airplane type deep set glass in the photos is giving me the willies.

3) Can we get a good review of the Manual version please? Never driven an automatic. Probably never will. When I test this car, I'll look for the Manual myself.
For
1) yes they do recline to a certain angle. Pretty good for long distance travels.
2) I suggest you to sit and check the third row once. It is definitely one of the best in segment and I personally did not find it claustrophobic (6 feet tall).
3) I would certainly respect your choice but do advise you to try the automatic. This car definitely boasts luxury and the auto unit just makes it so much better

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2021 at 07:27. Reason: Trimming quote
db DrivE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:19   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
For
1) yes they do recline to a certain angle. Pretty good for long distance travels.
2) I suggest you to sit and check the third row once. It is definitely one of the best in segment and I personally did not find it claustrophobic (6 feet tall).
3) I would certainly respect your choice but do advise you to try the automatic. This car definitely boasts luxury and the auto unit just makes it so much better
That's a HUGE plus if they've finally given reclining bench backrests. I'm assuming they will recline individually and independent in the 60:40 split.

I have no purist hangup against auto boxes. I just love stick. Personally to me driving an auto box is like riding a Kinetic versus riding a KTM or a Bullet. It's a personal choice and I'd really like to drive the manual version of the new Safari just to see how it responds to shifts and how the motor spools up.

To me a manual box is luxury. It's what I'd pay for.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:28   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's a HUGE plus if they've finally given reclining bench backrests. I'm assuming they will recline individually and independent in the 60:40 split.
Yes - the 60 side & the 40 side recline independently. In the 6 seater variant - both captain seats have reclines. Although I don't see the point of these seats. Finally Tata brought the captain seats to a "Safari". And - they managed to make a bench seat feel better than them overall .
Quote:
To me a manual box is luxury. It's what I'd pay for.
We are a dying breed. Like the manual boxes. Buy one while they are still around. Soon there won't be any GBs at all. EVs will ruin it for us.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:46   #178
Senior - BHPian

Usually in such cases all 7 of us have the soft backpacks on our laps, or in the few inches of space near the feet or under the seats in front. Roof mounted luggage need to packed well and secured with rain proof material
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
The problem is with 7 people, there is no room for luggage even 2/3 suitcases and here is where my Hexa roof mounted luggage carrier comes handy
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 23:00   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Usually in such cases all 7 of us have the soft backpacks on our laps, or in the few inches of space near the feet or under the seats in front. Roof mounted luggage need to packed well and secured with rain proof material
Only when it's raining. Remaining 8 to 9 odd months of the year, all you need to do is loop a rope around the handles of each and tie them down to the rails (not the aluminium frame of the rack). That's secure enough. Once you get used to it, the total time is less than 5-7 minutes in the morning and when you reach the destination or stop for the night. And all the hours in between the cabin is free for humans to stretch out in. Only essentials, and food bags get to be inside.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th February 2021 at 23:01.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 14:41   #180
BHPian

Quote:
So - I went to the nearest Tata dealership - Panchajanya Motors, NH48 bypass, Warje, Pune - to check out the new Tata Flagship. (Real purpose was to roll the wheels of my Nexon that wasn't moved since more than 2 weeks now due to workload.)

Summary of the visit -
  1. Safari AT is on display & MT is available for TD already. I'd have taken a TD - if AT was available. Gave this feedback to the sales rep.
Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on Safari.

If possible please drive MT and share your thoughts, heard that it has new FCA gearbox which is different from Harrier. If true, then I am not sure why TML is not promoting it.

I also had a chance to look at Safari (was locked so didn't sit in) and the blue Safari was standing besides Harrier "Dark". In front of Harrier "Dark" it looked little feeble, that "dark" edition is just killer.

Hope TML brings out Safari "Dark" edition very soon.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks