Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:53   #1126
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.pavan View Post

I am facing these issues and need your help in diagnosing/defining the problem statement.

Mechanical Issues:

1) The co-driver door needs to be slammed really hard.

2) There is a definite braking sound that has gotten less creaky since day 1. Boy, the feeling is not great. The first time I applied brake just outside the showroom and the sound of two metals gnashing sank my heart. Glad it only got better. Will it go away after the 1st service?

4) At slow speeds, I can feel the drag/weight of the machine. At high speeds, the beast is unleashed and I feel the power. Fun to drive car at high speeds, despite the size/weight.
1. Door alignment needs to be done properly, fairly common for most cars but usually fixed at the dealership during PDI, stand outside, close the door and see the shut lines, its there in ours too, but for a different door.
2. You are being very gentle on the brakes, give it a few full bore stops and that noise should go away. This is normal.
4. There is a filled to the brim feel from the rear end, its like a sedan with its boot filled with luggage, rides well though.

Quote:
Instrument/Infotainment Issues

1) TPMS error: After getting the air filled at a Shell bunk, the TPMS showed false alert and the PSI as 31 while the attendant re-did the entire exercise and the meter was again set at 33. The warning message vanished after 100KMs.

2) Erratic volume at high speeds: If this is a design to overcome NVH, I want to disable it. At highspeeds, the volume gets louder.

3) Android Auto: It does not always connect and when it does, a watermark "Preproduction Hardware : Not for resale" shows up. Apps like Spotify do not open though they are available on the connected phone.
1. Once the tires are warm this is a common issue, fill them at the nearest filling station before a drive when the tires are cold.

2. The volume increase is not progressive, its very quiet in the beginning 1-2-3-4 and then it gets louder than one expects it to be.

3. It works with my Poco F1 as well as several android phones we have, you need to get the firmware updated on that one, they should be doing it during the servicing.

In your phone set AA & related apps to autorun, as well as disable battery optimization for apps used along with AA.

The plus point is that turn by turn directions from google maps is displayed on the driver`s MID.

The audio quality (music through YTM) and volume felt better when connected through AA than when connected through bluetooth.

The screen size used is very less and half the Nav screen is wasted while running AA , it is not all that quick to respond either. Hope they fix this problem.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:05   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
2) Erratic volume at high speeds: If this is a design to overcome NVH, I want to disable it. At highspeeds, the volume gets louder.
I think it is because of this feature which increases volume with speed (Speed Dependant Volume). It can be removed by unchecking the following option-

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210723_125705.jpg

You can find it in the volume setup option under the settings menu.
@og_adi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:15   #1128
BHPian

While browsing through Tata Safari's owner's manual, I found one very unusual and discouraging wording. The same wording is there in owner's manual of Harrier, Nexon, Tiago and Altroz too.

So as per Tata, they provide warranty only for the parts that are manufactured by them and not on the whole car.

Which part of Safari is made by Tata, so that it will be covered under warranty?
Not the FCA sourced Engine, not the hyundai sourced automatic gearbox, not the panoramic sunroof, not the tyres, not seats, not the infotainment system, not the battery etc

So if I have an issue with any of those above, whom should I contact ?? As per wordings in warranty section of owners manual, I need to contact the third party that manufactured that part

Maybe just Outer Body is made by Tata which has huge panel gaps and they say it is normal.

Do other car manufacturers also have similar terms and conditions for their cars' warranty?

This is the wording in Safari's owner manual:
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-warranty.jpg  

SahilS is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:22   #1129

Hello Folks,

Transitioning from a silent peeper on this group through the last few months, to being a member!

Became an owner of this beast a month back.
  • Variant - Adventure persona XZA+
  • Upgrading From - 2015 Hyundai Verna Fluidic
  • Waiting Time - 2 month [Apr-21 booking to Jun-21 delivery]
  • Requirements - Safe, Fun to drive, big enough for family of 5 + a dog
  • Options Considered - Harrier, Hector, Compass, Seltos
  • Selection Trigger - Space on offer, build quality, looks, powertrain

First Ownership Impressions - Had my share of the monsoon drive in it within the last 30 days. Gobbles up miles, thoroughly enjoyable powertrain, supremely comfortable for long drives. However, Maneuverability in city is a bit of a concern for me. Lacks finesse in certain places for a 26L car.

Sharing a few snaps of Safari in its natural habitat.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-0.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-2.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-1.jpg  

runner&rider is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:25   #1130
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Which part of Safari is made by Tata, so that it will be covered under warranty?
Man.. it's LandRover disguised as tata. Haven't you heard ?
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:33   #1131

The following screen shot of Tata Harrier warranty manual may be of some use:
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210723203132.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-screenshot_20210723203100.jpg  

Old 24th July 2021, 16:22   #1132
BHPian

After hearing all the good things about the Safari, test drove it today. Following observations that echo most of the feedback in T-BHP:

1. Very responsive dealership in Noida, and the lead generation system from the website was surprisingly fast too. Test drive scheduled within 1 day. I remember running rounds of calls to multiple Tata dealerships for a test drive of the Hexa back in 2018-19.

2. Once up on the car, there were some familiar Tata expectations though. The car had 9000 kms on the odometer, but felt a lot older. The white seats had turned yellow, leather on the steering wheel was scuffed up, the gear lever plastic cover (right where you rest your hand) was creaking, the fuel filler cap was not getting closed even after multiple attempts, not to speak of the multiple dents on the exterior of the car.

3. The AC was not effective in the 3rd row, even after closing the sunroof as suggested by the test drive personnel. And it was not that hot today.

4. Mostly hard plastics around. The overall interior quality may be great by Tata standards but definitely poor when compared to my Compass. The ride, though good, still felt short of the Compass.

5. It is 2021, and the 2019 spec touchscreen felt really small by today's standards. Wish Tata would have used the Safari launch to also upgrade the 2019 Harrier spec touchscreen.

6. The boot is non-existent with all rows up. This is a 5 seater with a big boot (if you take the 6 seat variant and permanently fold on of the rear seats).The sales guy was not even comfortable opening the non powered tailgate to show the boot. The left knee continues to foul with the dashboard!

7. The all important 3rd row was decent. My wife and daughter felt comfortable there, except for the fact that the rear windshield is very close to the 3rd row passenger head.

8. The engine-gearbox combination was excellent though. This was the one thing that brought out the smiles, along with the solid road presence. I never felt the Safari to be cumbersome on the roads. All good cars shrink around you when you drive, and this too did so, though not upto the levels of the Compass again though.

9. Current waiting period for the Adventure edition is 8 weeks. Current offers- only a 25k exchange bonus

To sum up, no offence to fans or owners, but i had higher expectations from the Safari, somehow disappointed. Think the 2022 Safari may address some of the current grouses, but by then if the XUV700 lives up to the hype, it would have further taken the game away.
achyutaghosh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 18:21   #1133
BHPian

Quote:

Mechanical Issues:

1) The co-driver door needs to be slammed really hard.

2) There is a definite braking sound that has gotten less creaky since day 1. Boy, the feeling is not great. The first time I applied brake just outside the showroom and the sound of two metals gnashing sank my heart. Glad it only got better. Will it go away after the 1st service?

3) Accelerator seems to be harder than needed.

Overall: Happy with the buy and confident that these niggles will be fixed.
First off, many congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club..... the club of eternal expectations, frustration, happiness and sadness all combined . Only TATA can bring out such mixed emotions in equal and potent measures. The braking sound is wat I experienced and TATA ASC informed me that it's the ABS kicking in at 5 KMPH
Regarding the accelerator pedal, pls check if the pedal is rubbing against the sidewall carpet. I too experienced the same and I have already informed the ASC here who have taken photos and said they will escalate it. Not much expectations that anything will come out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
After hearing all the good things about the Safari, test drove it today. Following observations that echo most of the feedback in T-BHP:
TATA Safari is not a commonsense purchase. It has more to do with the heart.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 09:09   #1134
BHPian

Dear Bhpians. I am facing a lot of difficulty sourcing the right floor mats for my new Safari XZA+ in Delhi. I am not a fan of all sort of D mats and the dealer doesn't have the rubber/fabric ones in stock. My preference are the moulded plastic ones but can live with rubber or good quality fabric ones as well. I ordered different ones from Amazon, including the ones for Harrier. The one from Elegant was fantastic but the problem with all of them comes with the driver side one as the foot rest plays spoil sport and none of them fit. Any idea where I can get right sized mats for the automatic Safari in Delhi? Thanks a ton!
Old 25th July 2021, 13:40   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
TATA Safari is not a commonsense purchase. It has more to do with the heart.
Wish it was but somehow the only common link i find with the 2021 Safari and the older one is 7 seats. Everything else in the car screams Harrier+ with a forced classic name
Hoping for a true blue SUV from Tata soon!
Old 25th July 2021, 22:48   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Safari spotted in Pune in camouflage. OP thinks it's a 4x4 but not sure.
Source
Hope TATA provides the following features in the 4x4 version:

Ventilated seats
Wireless phone charger
Blind view monitor
360degree camera
MercFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 05:48   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
4. Mostly hard plastics around. The overall interior quality may be great by Tata standards but definitely poor when compared to my Compass. The ride, though good, still felt short of the Compass.
As far as I am aware the parts of the dashboard are soft plastics and then mostly hard plastics around on the door pads like everything else in its class. Is Compass soft plastics all around? If not then I wonder whats the basis for poor in comparison to Compass?

To me Compass and Safari are not in the same segment. The Safari is considerably larger and dare i say much better looking. Not talking to the off roadability here though.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 13:20   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_7 View Post
Dear Bhpians. I am facing a lot of difficulty sourcing the right floor mats for my new Safari XZA+ in Delhi. I am not a fan of all sort of D mats and the dealer doesn't have the rubber/fabric ones in stock. My preference are the moulded plastic ones but can live with rubber or good quality fabric ones as well. I ordered different ones from Amazon, including the ones for Harrier. The one from Elegant was fantastic but the problem with all of them comes with the driver side one as the foot rest plays spoil sport and none of them fit. Any idea where I can get right sized mats for the automatic Safari in Delhi? Thanks a ton!
You are not alone, I am also waiting for the right one preferably from 3D Kagu MaXpider that I have loved and used in the past 10 yrs in my Octy and Jetta. But they dont have one yet (have one for the Harrier), so hopefully will get one to the market soon!

https://3dmatsindia.com/3d-maxpider
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 11:59   #1139
BHPian

I have completed 2000 KMs of XZA+ in last 2 weeks. Traveled thru Malnad and plains of North Karnataka. The Bangalore Hospet Highway is a delightful drive.

I love the drive, control, cruise mode, auto-hold and music system. I can go on and on. The Sport mode is a different experience altogether. At 14.8 KMPL FE (highway), I ain't complaining. The Tropical Mist color is universally loved an dirt on it actually makes the car look menacing/rugged.

Where ever I have driven, the admiring onlookers and enquiries from them about the beast makes me rejoice. This includes an owner of a Merc! A petrol bunk owner threw in some free goody after enthusiastic enquiry.

Happy story altogether

So, the first service is due.

What to keep in mind? Oil change? What type of oil? Is there a checklist for 1st service? Previously, I had posted about some niggles. Will try to get them addressed during this service and report back to this forum.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th July 2021 at 12:26.
gk.pavan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:11   #1140
Senior - BHPian

10,000th Tata Safari rolls out of Pune factory

Tata Motors celebrated a new production milestone as the 10,000th Safari rolled off the assembly line in Pune.

2021 Tata Safari Review-image-1-10000th-safari-rolls-out.jpg

According to the company, the 100th Safari was produced in February this year and it took just four months to reach the 10,000 unit mark.

The Safari is a 7-seat version of the Harrier. It also comes in a 6-seat configuration offering separate captain seats for the second row.

The new Safari is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine producing 170 BHP and 350 Nm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Tata claims that the Safari's current market share stands at 25.2% in its segment. As of Q1 FY2022, the Safari and the Harrier together command a 41.2% market share in the High SUV segment.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks