Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:20   #1171
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
Last week I completed ~700 KMs trip on Pune-Aurangabad-Pune route with my Safari and below are the observations.
4. The sub-woofer is located on the rear LHS of the third row. When playing music with bass at high level, the passenger in the third row may ask to reduce the volume as it can get slight uncomfortable due to the sub-woofer sound. This will be the case especially when the car is at low speeds and the music volume is high.
Hey Varman. Hope you are doing well. Great pictures of the caves and the car. I also plan to do the trip to the caves sometimes in Aug but was not sure due to the waterlogging situation. How was your experience and are the roads good?

Also for the issue of loud volume in 3rd row, maybe you can try balancing so the output is more in front and less in the back. I've seen good results with this setup when people are sleeping in the back but you want music to be played only in the front. attaching the settings pic for reference.
Name:  Balancer.png
Views: 14079
Size:  192.7 KB
CoffeeBeans is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:30   #1172

MOD NOTE - Please put a space *AFTER* a punctuation mark, not *BEFORE* it.

My experience with the XZA plus after 2000 KMs and 3 weeks which includes a Chennai - Bangalore trip and couple of Chennai - Pondy trips
  1. Steering Sensitivity - I had earlier mentioned about the steering sensitivity at higher speeds. After a couple of 100 KMs of driving on highways, I got used to this. The steering feels good now and am able to go through the curves at 3 digit speeds.

2. Seating Ergonomics - Having moved from a XUV500, I am used to having the seat at the tallest height setting . I am 6'1'' . At the tallest height setting in the Safari, my knee hits the curve in the dash. Also at this setting the ORVM visibility is minimal. Had to get the seat height to the middle position for a comfortable seating. I would have preferred the dead pedal a little further than where it is now. However there is a gap above the dead pedal where I am able to stretch my left legs. Due to the hump under the front seats in the Safari, I am not able to bend my left legs and keep them positioned at 90 degree angles. I am used to this in the XUV500 for brief periods on highways as this helps avoid leaving the left legs in the same position for longer time. Overall, it was a comfortable place to be in and I was behind the wheels for around 9 hours in one stretch with probably 10- 15 mins breaks in between.

3. Handling - The car handles well. Did some spirited driving during the Chennai - Bangalore trip. I still feel the XUV500 was more confidence inspiring at higher speed. Maybe its just me and in time will get used to the Safari. Sports mode is preferred by me as I like the enhanced throttle response.

4. Infotainment - As mentioned by several others, the music system is excellent. Using Android Auto for the first time and pleased with the convenience of using Google Assistant ( Long press of the Voice Command button in the steering wheel invokes Google Assistant). Had connection drop issues with Android Auto, however after changing the cables it works flawlessly. Wireless Android Auto would add to the convenience . PS: I prefer the teal background color for the infotainment theme.

5. Sunroof - My older daughter has motion sickness and most times feel nauseous in a car. She feels a bit better if the sun shades of the sunroof are left open. Will have to check over multiple drives to see if this indeed is the case. Leaving the sunshade open also makes the cabin a lot spacious with so much day light coming in.

6. Accessories - Had replaced the horns with Lumix horns. Added 50% VLT Wurth sun films on the windows and read windshield and 70% VLT Blaupunkt sun film on the front windshield. Mud Flaps and Floor Mats from the dealer.

7. Rear tailgate - This is heavy. Require both hands to open. Power tailgate should have been given. I tried couple of well known accessory stores in Chennai and no one seems to have an option to add a power tailgate yet . Will keep looking .

8. First Service - Got the first service done at Lakshmi Tata , ECR - Chenna . Had the car picked up and delivered. The fluids were topped up . Had an issue with the front left doors requiring too much force to close. This was fixed in the first servic . However a couple of days later, I noticed that the shut lines on this door was out of alignment. Took it to the dealer in Pondy ( Schakralaya Motors ). They were able to fix the shut line alignment, but the original issue reappeared. The adjustment that was done was with the striker. The mechanic suggested that he can adjust the striker for easy closure, however that would have slight gap in the shut line. If the shut line is to be intact the additional force issue will be there for some time until the beadings settle in . Will use it for some more time to see if this requires any other fix. The striker adjustment is straightforward and I can do it myself if needed.

9. Hit to the bumper and left wheels - I hit a concrete slab at parking speeds at Pondicherry. The slab protruding from the platform wasn't visible and the impact was to the left front bumper which was pushed in to form a big dent and the slab scraped the front left wheels. This was on Saturday night. Sunday, I had called up the Service Center in Chennai as I was due to come back on Sunday and didn't want to leave the car at the Service Center in Pondy as I was thinking that the parts availability would be an issue. I explained the damage to the SA. He asked to get the car in so that they can get the work started. It would be through the insurance route. I enquired about the space availability as I didn't want to leave the car at the Service Center and wait for the spares. The SA asked for the pics of the damage and vehicle document copies . He promptly called back and explained that they had recently changed the bumper for a Harrier and it took almost 20 days for the spare to arrive . If this is through insurance the car need to be in the Service Center as the spare would be ordered only after the surveyor checks the ca. On the scratches on the wheels, he mentioned that they generally do not replace unless the wheels are broken or bent. I asked for options as I did not want to leave the car in the service center for so long. He asked me to come in on Monday so that we can figure out how to handle this and also inspect the wheels to see if that could also be replaced if needed through insurance.

Now comes the good part . I started from Pondy to Chennai. Was driving back alone as family is to stay back in Pondy for a week. Once I hit the highway (ECR), I started noticing a mild steering wobble above 60kmph. I realized the wheel balancing is off and decided that I should just take the car to the service center next day and get all of this sorted along with the bumper replacement procedures. Half way through the wobble was causing a huge inconvenience. Being a Sunday, I wasn't sure if good wheel alignment and balancing stores would be open. Didn't want to go to the store closer to my place in Chennai as they did a shoddy job with my XUV and was checking based on the reviews on Google. Found JP Tyres in ECR ( Opposite Buhari Hotel just before the Kanathur toll plaza). Called up the store and went there . Explained the hit that happened the previous day and the wobble that I felt. The person at the store suggested we check the balancing for the front wheels first, drive the car and if needed check the balancing on the rear wheels. While he started to remove the front wheels, I asked him whether the hit to the bumper can be straightened out. He said he would try. He had to unscrew the cladding and pushed from inside with his hands ( Did require a good amount of force). The bumper was back to the original form and what remained are only 2 scratches to the underside of the bumper which wasn't even visible. I asked him about the scratch to the wheels and he was also of the opinion that a wheel change is not required and I could get the paint touched up in a body shop if needed After the front wheels were balanced, I test drove the vehicle and it seemed fine. Also had the rear wheels balanced as there were lack of balance weights or minimal ones in the wheels. The rear wheels were also off balance. Now the car is fine. Drives well and I will not need the bumper and wheel replacement and the hassle of insurance paperwork and loosing the NCB for next year.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd August 2021 at 17:48. Reason: Mod note attached.
ramprebagar is offline   (27) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:15   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
Hey Varman. Hope you are doing well. Great pictures of the caves and the car. I also plan to do the trip to the caves sometimes in Aug but was not sure due to the waterlogging situation. How was your experience and are the roads good?
Thanks CoffeeBeans - When I travelled, fortunately it didn't rain much during the 3-4 days in Aurangabad and so didn't face any waterlogging issues. Due to the less rains but still pleasant weather and greenery all around, enjoyed driving on the roads leading to the Aurangabad city and Caves area. Till Nagar it passed through crowded areas so got some slow moving traffic, but didn't get stuck anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestion on the audio settings. I shall try them and see of the sound gets any better in the third row.
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:26   #1174
BHPian

I just booked XZA variant of the Safari. My considerations were automatic, safety and SUV looks. Innova never inspired me, XUV 500 was ruled out and the latest revealing spy shot of XUV700 also didn't give me the wow factor. MG Hector Plus and Alcatraz were not on my list.

The 2 things that I hate about the Safari are the white interiors and silly boot space with all seats up. I could live with 1 of the 3rd row seats folded so the later was ok. I keep my car quite neat and never run the car with windows rolled down and thus my interiors have been very clean even after many years.

The confusion now is whether I should choose XZA+ (Sunroof version) or stick to XZA. I am taking my time to make the decision.
Old 7th August 2021, 12:57   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
The confusion now is whether I should choose XZA+ (Sunroof version) or stick to XZA. I am taking my time to make the decision.
IMO, you should checkout sunroof version. If your ecosport is not a sunroof version then this one definitely should be.

I have seen adventure persona variant on street, it sure is a head turner with that unique colour and blacked out bits. It's your call though.

Last edited by varunswnt : 7th August 2021 at 13:00.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 13:00   #1176

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210806_182601__01.jpg

First post here! My Safari Adventure Persona was delivered yesterday. Got it in under a month from the booking date (booked on 12th July and delivery on 6th Aug).

Had a small drive of 25KMs, and the drive reaffirmed my decision to go with the Safari. The combination of the engine and the automatic gearbox is just really good. And the ride, handling and dynamics is really good for a large vehicle. Coming from a 2012 Ford Figo, I was a little apprehensive about how I'd manage the size, but I felt right at home. I didn't feel that the steering is heavy, at least not compared to my Figo.

Itching to go on a longer ride, but in unfortunate timing my city (Mysuru) announced weekend curfews starting today. So, spending my weekend reading through the manual and getting familiar with the car.

I have a question for other owners here. I want to install a dual channel dashcam. I've actually already bought a Viofo A129 Duo Plus on impulse before the car was delivered. I want to get it properly installed with all the wires routed and concealed properly. But, I'm now worried that because the pillars all have curtain airbags, this won't be possible. Has anyone gotten a dashcam installed in the XZ/XZ+ variants? Any advice on this would be appreciated. Also, would hardwiring the dashcam affect the warranty?

Can't wait to exprience more of my Safari, and share here.
kshlm is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 14:09   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Sunroof version cannot bear a roof rack. The boot space is extremely small. My Ritz (derided for having smaller boot) has more space.

If you foresee using all seats and very frequently, you will sorely miss the roof rack.

If you are a small family, Sunroof is an unbeatable experience. I had agreed to buy XZA+ giving in to my daughters desire. I love it now. The white seats and the sunroof give a luxurious feel inside the cabin.

Last edited by gk.pavan : 7th August 2021 at 14:16. Reason: Grammar
gk.pavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 14:15   #1178
BHPian

I have the XZA+ and want to dechrome the Safari. Essentially, I want to convert it to adventure persona. I love white seats hence had not chosen Adv Persona. (Yes, maintenance is a problem but worth the extra effort).

The Safari mascot, piano black alloy wheel are also on the list.

1) Is it okay to tinker with a new car?
2) Who is the best in Bangalore?
gk.pavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 20:25   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
IMO, you should checkout sunroof version. If your ecosport is not a sunroof version then this one definitely should be.
Yeah, mine will be driven 4 people on board most of the time and for long distances. 3rd row will be for occasional short drives.

I did test drive the one with the sunroof and really liked it. It was sunny a day and without the shades I felt very uncomfortable though the AC was working. Also when I read about safety, utility etc I got a bit confused. If it was a normal sunroof I wouldn't have bothered. But the panaromic one is nice. If I choose, I will be using it closed as I don't like dust / pollution coming in to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk.pavan View Post
If you are a small family, Sunroof is an unbeatable experience. I had agreed to buy XZA+ giving in to my daughters desire. I love it now. The white seats and the sunroof give a luxurious feel inside the cabin.
Absolutely agree. It is the experience. But what I keep asking myself is that will I use it well or will I forget it after the initial euphoria. I am unable to get a convincing answer to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshlm View Post
Attachment 2189677

First post here! My Safari Adventure Persona was delivered yesterday. Got it in under a month from the booking date (booked on 12th July and delivery on 6th Aug).

I have a question for other owners here. I want to install a dual channel dashcam. I've actually already bought a Viofo A129 Duo Plus on impulse before the car was delivered. I want to get it properly installed with all the wires routed and concealed properly. But, I'm now worried that because the pillars all have curtain airbags, this won't be possible. Has anyone gotten a dashcam installed in the XZ/XZ+ variants? Any advice on this would be appreciated. Also, would hardwiring the dashcam affect the warranty?

Can't wait to exprience more of my Safari, and share here.
Congratulations! Wishing you lots of happy miles on your new car.

Regarding dashcam, it is being sold as a genuine accessory and hence think it should be ok to run the concealed wiring through the A pillar. However, I have heard dealers saying warranty gets void when aftermarket accessories are installed. You should check with Tata motors first.

Attaching the genuine accessory price list for everyone's benefit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Orderform Safari-09-06-21.pdf (2.41 MB, 581 views)
File Type: pdf Tata Safari Accessories Brochure.pdf (5.20 MB, 3451 views)

Last edited by SDP : 7th August 2021 at 22:15. Reason: Please use Multi-Quote instead of creating back to back posts
Jude300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 14:11   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Safari/Harrier sales continue to put up a good show.

Quote:
In July 2021, they almost touched the 4.5k mark.
Together, Safari + Harrier sales stood at 4,487 units in July 2021. This helped them race ahead in the race with MG Motor India, who sell Hector and Hector Plus in the same segment.

MG dispatched 3,565 units of the SUV which included both Hector and Hector Plus last month.
https://www.rushlane.com/tata-harrie...-12409063.html
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 14:47   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari new automatic variant on cards?

2021 Tata Safari Review-smartselect_20210808144631_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 16:07   #1182

Took the delivery of my XMA in the 2nd week of July 2021. The booking was made on 1st April. I've already done ~1000kms with this awesome machine.
Attaching few pics taken on the delivery day.

2021 Tata Safari Review-dsc_0374.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-dsc_0381.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-tbhpdsc_0402.jpg

I also got my membership approved recently. Really excited!
sks2610 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 23:02   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Safari new automatic variant on cards?
Could be the all wheel drive AT variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sks2610 View Post
Took the delivery of my XMA in the 2nd week of July 2021. The booking was made on 1st April. I've already done ~1000kms with this awesome machine.
Attaching few pics taken on the delivery day.

Attachment 2190340

Attachment 2190341

Attachment 2190339

I also got my membership approved recently. Really excited!
Congratulations! Wish you happy miles in you new car. XMA would have been my option too if only it had a couple of features i really wanted like height adjustable driver seat with lumber support,
Android auto and more. An XTA version would have sold even better

Last edited by Jude300 : 8th August 2021 at 23:03.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 23:11   #1184

Quote:
... height adjustable driver seat with lumber support,
Android auto and more. An XTA version would have sold even better
It has height adjustable driver seat but without the lumbar support. Yes, XTA would've been perfect.
sks2610 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 00:00   #1185

Hello everyone, I've finally went ahead and made my purchase! It's an XZ in the tropical mist color (manual transmission with no panoramic roof). I went with the XZ primarily for the added airbags - the extra convenience features are nice to have as well. The dealership honored the price at the time I initially showed interest - sometime earlier this year there was a price increase and I'm glad I got to save that 50k or so.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, nice to be seated a bit higher and have some of the recent tech coming from my 2013 Etios (which I plan to keep for now). In my time of car ownership starting in the mid 80's, I've owned a Padmini, Standard 10, Mahindra CL550 4 wheel drive, Mahindra Commander 2 wheel drive, a Tata Sumo followed by an Indica, the Etios and now the Safari. The choices we have now sure have improved!

The two things I'm going to look into changing are the gear ratio and clutch travel.

I'd like to stay in 2nd gear for stop/go or slow moving traffic and reduce the clutch travel somehow. Anyone have any ideas on where this could be done in the Hyderabad area? I'm sure it'll take a while for there to be a mods like this to come about but I'm hoping to start the discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_4228.jpg  

kothi333 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks