Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2024, 21:13   #1756
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek2684 View Post
Which Engine Oil do you guys recommend? After searching around on Google, I could see that Castrol Edge 5W-30LL has been used in the 2.0TSi engines in Europe. Is that good, or is there a different recommendation for the Indian models?
My Kodiaq 2.0 TSI recently got serviced.
This was the engine oil they used.

Hope it helps. Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20240114_211159.jpg
SilverSmoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 00:21   #1757
BHPian

The dreaded "Selector error" popped up on my Octavia just 10 days before the 2nd year service.

The service advisor at Tafe Bangalore asked me to visit the service center to get the car checked before he can order the replacement part. I hope this is the common minor issue related to the electrical gear switch a few members here have faced on their cars.

Upon some research, I found this thread on briskoda.net where Octavia owners have shared similar stories.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_1609.jpg  

Old 17th January 2024, 13:52   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Upon some research, I found this thread on briskoda.net where Octavia owners have shared similar stories.
I had that issue with mine as well - they replaced the gear selector unit under warranty. It's a very common issue with Mk IV Octavia. Ask them to order the parts, once it's at the service centre, they can replace the unit (takes about 2-3 hours). In the meantime, you can drive along its a non-issue.
abhishek2684 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 02:23   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
The dreaded "Selector error" popped up on my Octavia just 10 days before the 2nd year service.
This part fails for once, its like getting chicken pox once in lifetime . Issue is that there is no voluntary recall by Skoda to replace the part. They will wait until it fails and owners report it. In any other country they would have been proactive but in India its chalta hein attitude. No wonder they are struggling big time with 2.0 strategy. I am hoping Skoda stays few more years until i can find suitable replacement at 5th or 6th year mark.
CircleOfLife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 21:21   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
This part fails for once, its like getting chicken pox once in lifetime . Issue is that there is no voluntary recall by Skoda to replace the part. They will wait until it fails and owners report it. In any other country they would have been proactive but in India its chalta hein attitude. No wonder they are struggling big time with 2.0 strategy. I am hoping Skoda stays few more years until i can find suitable replacement at 5th or 6th year mark.
Guess what? The gear selector error disappeared automatically! I had noticed a slight delay and a different whirring sound when shifting from D to P, but now that anomaly has disappeared as well! Getting this replaced nonetheless.
Old 28th January 2024, 09:07   #1761

Quote:
Guess what? The gear selector error disappeared automatically! I had noticed a slight delay and a different whirring sound when shifting from D to P, but now that anomaly has disappeared as well! Getting this replaced nonetheless.
It would come back soon. Get it changed. I had this episode at 20000km mark. The local dealer had ready stock. They said the gear selector cable was changed ( I had thought it would be some chip).
kiranseb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 19:21   #1762
BHPian

My Octavia L&K met with an accident recently, when i stopped at a police checkpost on a highway. Sharing my ordeal with the Cops and Skoda Service.

On 27 Jan, My car was tail ended by a Baleno on a highway (Driven by a person without a driving license). The impact was high that Octavia moved forward and hit an Altroz , that was stopped. So damages to both Front and Rear .

Luckily, by gods grace, no injury to anyone, Airbags deployed on the Baleno and it sustained damages beyond the A pillar. This would give you an idea how the car had hit.

Octavia's Rear bumper, spoiler, trunk was damaged at the rear and Front bumper, bonnet and grille was damaged.

Altorz sustained damages on its rear bumper and trunk.

Images and Dash cam videos below

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20240205_183406.jpgSkoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20240205_183423.jpgSkoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20240205_183938.jpgSkoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20240127_121707.jpg

Experience with Cops : There was no FIR filed for the offence AFAIK and I was provided a CSR copy

I was treated like an 'accused' with 'great respect' at the station for 'Applying brake' on the police checkpost. A gift we deserve after being an 'honest' tax payer.

I was forced to leave the station without an FIR.

The Driver had the audacity to ask "Shouldn't i drive if i dont have a license"

Lesson learnt : Even if you have all evidences, you need a reference in the police dept to progress things even though the mistake is not yours.

Service experience : Car is with Skoda's service, Body shop never gave a commitment about the time as the car is CKD and parts availability is less, which i can understand.

After inspection from Insurance, the car is sitting idle in the workshop, with no progress for the past 7 days and i have been kept in dark about the damaged parts, estimates etc. I have escalated it to the manager today, will have to wait and see how things progress.

Im very anxious about the paint job as the bonnet is to be replaced and nothing can match the factory fit and finish.

I will keep posted on the progress. I really had a wonderful purchase experience with this outlet, hope the body shop work carries out smoothly.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th February 2024 at 17:06. Reason: As requested
vagster is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 21:45   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagster View Post
My Octavia L&K met with an accident recently, when i stopped at a police checkpost on a highway. Sharing my ordeal with the Cops and Skoda Service.
Really sorry for you to have faced this ordeal. The more we expose such people flexing their power to escape from such situations, the better. It is condemnable to say the least.

The car has 'L' sticker, was the driver still learning to drive?

Regarding repairs, I hope your car can come back on the road soon, though, from a similar accident on Kodiaq posted by a fellow bhpian https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5515028 (2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG), I suspect you to unfortunately have to wait little longer if parts are not in inventory.

Also, I am not sure but at this point, the damages though being an eye sore are fairly cosmetic. So do you want to explore your options around keeping the car at the service centre or have it safely parked at your base (if possible) so it doesn't become a dust magnet and deteriorate further?
rahul1407 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:33   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post

The car has 'L' sticker, was the driver still learning to drive?
Nope, the L board is inact since 2022 it seems (As per the driver's statement) and they havent applied for the license yet. Neither of the passengers in the car had a DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
do you want to explore your options around keeping the car at the service centre or have it safely parked at your base (if possible) so it doesn't become a dust magnet and deteriorate further?
I did check about this. Since the claim is registered, the car cannot be taken out.
vagster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 06:05   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the L board is inact since 2022 it seems (As per the driver's statement) and they havent applied for the license yet. Neither of the passengers in the car had a DL.

I did check about this. Since the claim is registered, the car cannot be taken out.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal

It's sad that inspite of someone without DL hitting a parked car, they can be letoff as long as they have 'influence'.
Hope you get your car in its original shape back soon, not sure if you are referring to the Service center at OMR
Old 8th February 2024, 18:29   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Experience with Cops : There was no FIR filed for the offence AFAIK and I was provided a CSR copy

I was treated like an 'accused' with 'great respect' at the station for 'Applying brake' on the police checkpost. A gift we deserve after being an 'honest' tax payer.

I was forced to leave the station without an FIR.

The Driver had the audacity to ask "Shouldn't i drive if i dont have a license"

Lesson learnt : Even if you have all evidences, you need a reference in the police dept to progress things even though the mistake is not yours.
Sorry to hear about the accident your Octi got into. Re: the cops, that's the sad reality of our country right now if you're someone who is from out of town or does not have 'contacts' the cops will only harass you, especially if they see you have wealth. The only times I've ever gotten any help from cops is when I've name-dropped some influential folks. I would advise putting this up on Twitter, tagging the traffic police and ministers/MLAs, and posting the link here so we can all retweet it for more visibility.

RE: the accident itself and the Octi, I got into a similar accident recently where a Eeco slammed into my car as a harrier tried to cut into my lane without checking their mirrors. Although the damage looked cosmetic, the pins which hold the rear diffuser broke and need a full replacement. Also make sure you pick up your car during the day, as my re-paint work was extremely sub-par and they hadn't even applied the clear-coat on top so the bumper and bonnet now look faded when they are the most newly painted parts. I picked mine up in the evening so I couldn't tell, and because I signed the release form, Jai Auto has refused to fix it.
abhishek2684 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 14:17   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
This part fails for once, its like getting chicken pox once in lifetime .
Well, it’s not like chickenpox for sure. Returned from a 600 km road trip yesterday and drive train/system error popped up a couple of times. Lost power but I could drive on. The issue would vanish upon shutdown and restart. This is the 2nd time in 2 years this issue has come up. Glad the car is under warranty. SVC told me that it is the selector chip issue.

All that being said, it’s been 24 months of pure bliss so far. I knew what I was signing up for when I bought the car. A couple of days of downtime does not bother me since I do not use this car for commuting, highways only. Clocked over 23K kms so far. I guess owning a couple of KTM’s does make you immune to some downtime once in a while. When these babies run, they fly

This car is a keeper and I do intend to take extended warranties for as long as it’s available.

Will post an update once the car is back.
Old 10th February 2024, 22:40   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Well, it’s not like chickenpox for sure. Returned from a 600 km road trip yesterday and drive train/system error popped up a couple of times. Lost power but I could drive on. The issue would vanish upon shutdown and restart. This is the 2nd time in 2 years this issue has come up. Glad the car is under warranty. SVC told me that it is the selector chip issue.
I have few instances of my own, selector switch replacement, brake noise issues, battery going kaput at 2 years mark, loosing power couple of instances even after chip replacement. Did toy with idea of upgrading to Kodiaq or Tiguan but every time ended up flooring these machines during test drives it never matched what Octaiva has to offer. It's not a fair comparison for a sedan vs SUV there is a significant power to weight ratio difference. Only BMW can satisfy such appetite for power with a bigger to hole to ones pocket. I am good with what i have for the moment. Mostly the last petrol only car with me before moving to next gen Hybrid or the next in thing (EV, Hydrogen, etc).
Old 12th February 2024, 12:38   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek2684 View Post
my re-paint work was extremely sub-par and they hadn't even applied the clear-coat on top so the bumper and bonnet now look faded when they are the most newly painted parts. I picked mine up in the evening so I couldn't tell, and because I signed the release form, Jai Auto has refused to fix it.
Thats bad! Did you try escalating it to Skoda? The cost of repaint is very huge (~50k for both bumpers and bonnet)

The USP of repainting from the skoda workshop is just for the specific paint colour matching. Especially VAGs have some different shades, that aftermarket paint job cannot be colour matched. (I have tried many on POLO and miserably failed)

Ive specifically requested the service personnel to do a proper paint job. (I wish he does well)

WRT to your bonnet, i hope it should have been removed for the repaint work, how was the alignment after fixing it back? did it fix inline with fender cutout? This is something that increases my anxiety as the same service centre had ruined the alignment and bonnet looks out of place on my friend's octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Hope you get your car in its original shape back soon, not sure if you are referring to the Service center at OMR
Nope, Its S7 cars Salem.
vagster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 14:06   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Octavia's Rear bumper, spoiler, trunk was damaged at the rear and Front bumper, bonnet and grille was damaged.
I am sorry that you had to go through this! Hope the car is back on the road soon, however be prepared for a delay, I have seen many VAG car owners waiting for over 3 months for parts of their CKD cars!

I also noticed that the blinkers on your RHS front headlamp aren't lighting up fully, do get it replaced as part of the claim if it is not working normally, I am sure the headlamps cost upward of 50k each, once the claim is settled you may not have an option to get it sorted as a warranty claim if it was damaged in the accident!
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks