Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 13:20   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEssJi View Post

The rear-seat floor lining behind the driver's seat somehow starts developing mouldy patches from time to time. I noticed it for the first time after a month of ownership and assumed someone must have spilled something there. However, after multiple instances of thorough cleaning and drying of the mat and floor-lining, I have observed that the lining and mat both are often found soaking wet and the mould gradually reappears.

Can anyone advise what the underlying problem could be and how to proceed with this issue? Thank you!
Years back I had similar issue with my Fiesta 1.6s, but in the front passenger footwell. It used to get wet with droplets of water. Turned out to be leak in AC condenser or something. Once they changed never repeated until I sold my car (after 4 years). Take it to your service center at the earliest to fix it.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 23:28   #1007

Has anyone considered opting for the new Hyundai Tucson instead of the Octavia? This has been driving me up the wall the last few weeks - hours of research, reading and watching reviews and I am still confused.

Here are my key thoughts and any guidance from someone who has already considered this issue will be much appreciated:

Octavia:

- i have already booked an Octavia L&K; currently waiting my turn (i am hoping another month or so).
- i really like the Octavia (even more than the Superb) and its a dream buy; I would have preferred a sunroof but not a deal breaker.
- the drive + feel is excellent; slight concern on GC
- my usage is mostly city; occasional weekend trips outside the city.

Tuscon:

- I saw the car at a showroom and it's quite impressive; I think overall feel of Octy is definitely better but this wasn't bad.
- several additional features: panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats, ADAS, etc.
- will likely go for petrol engine (not a fan of diesel). However, the petrol offering in this car is not as great in terms of engine (no turbo charge) and gear (6 auto).
- waiting period is 4/5 months; not a deal breaker.

The cost for both cars is in the same ball park - it basically comes down to features and general driving / ownership experience.

Grateful for any inputs.
Dadoo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 03:03   #1008
BHPian

Dear all

Would like to update you that we finally took delivery of Octavia L&K after three and a half months of waiting. It was not the colour that we had booked (Black magic), but Lava blue. However, I must admit that I have no complaints after seeing this colour on the new car in person.

Stunning, and gorgeous are a few words to describe the Octavia in Lava blue colour.

I will definitely share my entire experience in a few days. But, I need some help with disabling the manoeuvre assist brake function. My parking is a really tight one, and I felt the additional thrust you give to the accelerator, especially while reversing could be dangerous. Can someone please guide me on how to disable it in the infotainment i.e. the exact path? Is it the same as ESC under braking?

I am yet to go for ceramic coating, something I feel is much needed for this colour.

Also, any liquids for cleaning the suede leather seats, got a bit of kumkum stain on the very first day during Pooja :(

Thanks, friends in advance

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2022 at 21:43. Reason: Edited for better readability
mah45 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 03:56   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
But I need some help with disabling the Maneuver braking.

My parking is really tight one, and I felt the additional thrust you give to the accelerator especially while reversing could be dangerous.
Can someone please guide me how to disable it in the Inftainment. ie the exact path..is it the same as ESC under Braking ?
Finally. Congrats!
You need to access the manoeuvre braking settings in the park assist mode. It’s not ESC.
I’m confused why they didn’t just add this in the brake settings under vehicle.

Quote:
I am yet to go for ceramic coating, something I feel much needed for this colour

Also, any liquids for cleaning the suede leather seats, got a bit of kumkum stain on the very first day during Pooja :(
Thanks friends in advance
I’d suggest take a second look at PPF or at the least, go for a partial PPF installation for impact prone areas and ceramic for the rest.

Regarding the stain, gentle scrubbing with mild soap water and drying it out should help. If it’s extensive, maybe a foaming cleaner?
T0TALITY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:36   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0TALITY View Post
Finally. Congrats!
You need to access the manoeuvre braking settings in the park assist mode. It’s not ESC.

I’d suggest take a second look at PPF or at the least, go for a partial PPF installation for impact prone areas and ceramic for the rest.

maybe a foaming cleaner?
Thanks a lot for the reply. Will check the option today.

Wrt PPF, yes in fact I had taken a quote for the vulnerable parts alone from a detailing showroom and wanted to give it there.
But during delivery, the KUN Brand manager is once again repeating Not to go for PPF for this car.

He says the paint used in Octavia is different and it's not at all recommended to go for PPF.
I am unable to completely discount his point as Marketing talk (to get Ceramic coating done at his place), because he seems knowledge.

For example, he pro-actively asked the SA to enable the Air bags on co-pilot seats, (something I saw wasn't done for 6 months reported by another BHP -ian )
And also talked about the resetting of Infotainment etc..

Any advice from you all would be helpful.
Thanks again.
mah45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 10:16   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
Has anyone considered opting for the new Hyundai Tucson instead of the Octavia? This has been driving me up the wall the last few weeks - hours of research, reading and watching reviews and I am still confused.
- will likely go for petrol engine (not a fan of diesel). However, the petrol offering in this car is not as great in terms of engine (no turbo charge) and gear (6 auto).
- waiting period is 4/5 months; not a deal breaker.
Did you drive the petrol Tucson? It is grossly underpowered. Unless you are chauffeured around the city most of the time I would stay away from that engine. If you have liked the features and the space that Tucson offers would suggest to go for the 2wd diesel which is better than the grossly expensive 4wd. With passengers and luggage you will loathe the petrol engine. But take a test drive and you can feel it.
Old 18th August 2022, 10:25   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you have already booked Octavia, I am assuming that you are looking for something fun to drive. And Octavia is much better than Tucson (petrol or Diesel). Octavia has sub 7 secs 0 to 100 and top speed of 240kmph. So there is no comparison on performance.
Only place where Tucson is better are features, cabin space and airy feel (boot space Octavia is better) and diesel efficiency. But suggest you still test drive Tucson and take a decision by yourself.
Old 18th August 2022, 11:36   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
It's a no-brainer to get the Octavia if you are after pure driving pleasure. I would not suggest getting the Tucson in its Petrol avatar if you are driving yourself as it shares the petrol engine with the Alcazar. The drive quality is dull at best. Instead, I would suggest you to take a test drive of the diesel Tucson. Though not a rocket in a staright line like the Octavia, the diesel Tucson manages to do 0-100 in around 9 seconds (which is quick for an SUV). On top of that, it's extremely smooth and refined for a diesel. You can even mistake it for a petrol when sitting inside the car. Those are the levels of refinement on offer.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference whether you want an SUV or a sedan. While the Octavia offers immense driving pleasure and sheer performance, the Tucson scores on feel-good features and a hassle free ownership.
umairalvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 13:12   #1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Years back I had similar issue with my Fiesta 1.6s, but in the front passenger footwell. It used to get wet with droplets of water. Turned out to be leak in AC condenser or something. Once they changed never repeated until I sold my car (after 4 years). Take it to your service center at the earliest to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Looks like some clogged drain line in the rear windshield or doors side which is letting water creep in the footwell. Take it to Skoda, they are the best people to know exact drain locations and fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by konguraajaa View Post
It looks like condensation at the rear AC vents (that cools the feet).

Are there any mats or something that blocks these vents?
Thank you so much for your suggestions!

I visited the Skoda service centre to get the car inspected yesterday. They were surprised because it was the first time they had heard of a leakage problem in the Octavia A8. The technician checked the car thoroughly(AC pipes, Door beading, drainage systems) and found absolutely no leaks or clogged drains after a good 2-3 hours of inspection. They kept the car AC running for a good 30 mins prior to the checking as well.

He finally theorised that someone(probably the car cleaning guy) must have spilled a lot of water on the carpet which was then absorbed by the foam under the carpet. Whenever we have dried the carpet, we dried the upper surface(which is why it initially felt dry to the touch) but the thick sheet of foam underneath still remained soaking wet, which is why the water always seemed to reappear. Since we have always parked the car in covered basement parkings, the sunlight couldn't help out either.
So for now, they have wet vacuumed the entire wet area and told me to park the car in direct sunlight for as long as possible. Hoping this issue goes away after that.
DeeEssJi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 13:21   #1015
BHPian

Quote:

He says the paint used in Octavia is different and it's not at all recommended to go for PPF.
I am unable to completely discount his point as Marketing talk (to get Ceramic coating done at his place), because he seems knowledge.
I’m curious to know the technicalities. If genuine, I need to be cognisant of it as I’ve applied xpel ultimate in my car. But it’s most likely just sales tactics to get you to apply ceramic from them.

Nevertheless, It’s good to know that they had proactively enabled the co-passenger airbag. I had to do it myself during my PDI.

Also what’s this about resetting the infotainment?
T0TALITY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:43   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0TALITY View Post
I’m curious to know the technicalities. If genuine, I need to be cognisant of it as I’ve applied xpel ultimate in my car. But it’s most likely just sales tactics to get you to apply ceramic from them.

Nevertheless, It’s good to know that they had proactively enabled the co-passenger airbag. I had to do it myself during my PDI.

Also what’s this about resetting the infotainment?
Well, he mentioned the paint for Octavia is treated some 16 times, and Skoda did not even recommend Ceramic coating until recently.

The Infotainment issue he was referring to is the problem some fellow TBhp-ians have reported, without getting into the details he said in case there's any problem you just need to restart the car and the Infotainment should work fine.

Perhaps he reads this thread
mah45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 22:55   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all

Would like to update you that we finally took delivery of Octavia L&K after three and a half months of waiting.
Congrats Mah! Wishing you thousands of happy and safe mile munching!

Regarding PPF / ceramic coating, I would not recommend you to go with any of them. Your car's clear coat has been engineered to take up the sun's beatings. Don't fall for marketing gimmicks. I installed PPF in my duster at the time of delivery and now am suffering. It is all yellow and cracked up. I am unable to remove it without damaging the paint. Looks like I will have to scrape off the PPF and paint the car completely. A total waste of money IMHO.

On the other hand, maintaining the factory coat is quite easy. Dust it every day and wipe it with a moist micro fiber cloth. Foam wash once a month. Don't worry about those swirl marks. They can be easily removed by that annual wax polish. That will bring back the josh of seeing a newish car once again!!

My two paisa.

Cheers Mah!
wild child is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 06:06   #1018
rsk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
It is all yellow and cracked up.
The Pro-ppf fraternity claims if you go for a high quality PPF then, this doesn’t happen. Some of the fellow team-bhp mates don’t seem to have this problem. Not sure what brand or grade of PPF was used, xpel however seems like a popular choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post

On the other hand, maintaining the factory coat is quite easy. Dust it every day and wipe it with a moist micro fiber cloth. Foam wash once a month. Don't worry about those swirl marks. They can be easily removed by that annual wax polish. That will bring back the josh of seeing a newish car once again!!

Cheers Mah!
The selling point of PPF is - if there is a scratch, it won’t touch the body and some of the newer PPF are even self healing! I didn’t go for a PPF or ceramic quote, I have a scratch in the front bumper, do I regret not going for a PPF - not really. Too many unknowns, plus for the amount of money you invest somehow the trade off didn’t make sense personally.
rsk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:54   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
The Pro-ppf fraternity claims if you go for a high quality PPF then, this doesn’t happen. Some of the fellow team-bhp mates don’t seem to have this problem. Not sure what brand or grade of PPF was used, xpel however seems like a popular choice.
Hi RSK.
I had installed this way back in 2016 at one of those fancy shops with warm bright inspection lights and long plastic curtains. However, am unable to recollect the model name. I fell for their marketing gimmick where the marketing guy scratched their demo car with a screw driver, removed the PPF and showed "Voila, no scratches!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
The selling point of PPF is - if there is a scratch, it won’t touch the body and some of the newer PPF are even self healing! I didn’t go for a PPF or ceramic quote, I have a scratch in the front bumper, do I regret not going for a PPF - not really. Too many unknowns, plus for the amount of money you invest somehow the trade off didn’t make sense personally.
Good decision man. Paint touch + a full body wax polish up is much more cheaper and easier.

Cheers.
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 00:13   #1020

Could anyone who has recently booked Octavia shed light on the discounts offered by dealer.
Also what is the current waiting period for L&K variant?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks