Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 11:09   #1141
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Wanted to know if there is a substantial difference in the sound quality of the standard 8 speaker sound system and the Canton 11 speaker system.
I have L&K model. Never compared the audio quality with style variant. I felt Canton speaker does not live up to the hype. Sound quality is avg. Bass from the subwoofer is not felt inside the car(only felt in the boot). But vocals are clear even at high volume. Bass from the speakers are decent but only at high volume.
Just for comparison, I felt Infinity system in MG Hector is far better system than canton.
denomathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:14   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denomathew View Post
I have L&K model. Never compared the audio quality with style variant. I felt Canton speaker does not live up to the hype. Sound quality is avg. Bass from the subwoofer is not felt inside the car(only felt in the boot). But vocals are clear even at high volume. Bass from the speakers are decent but only at high volume.
Just for comparison, I felt Infinity system in MG Hector is far better system than canton.
Thanks a lot. I am planning to compare the two systems soon and will post my findings here.

Skoda should have revised the price atleast if they were not providing the Canton system now.

In Australia they reduced the price officially and if one googles that article pops out clearly.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:49   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks a lot. I am planning to compare the two systems soon and will post my findings here.

Skoda should have revised the price atleast if they were not providing the Canton system now.

In Australia they reduced the price officially and if one googles that article pops out clearly.
Infact Skoda India has silently increased price of Octavia as well as Superb from 5th Oct onwards. I went for TD on Dussherra and surprisingly I got a quote with revised price.

Octavia L&K now costs Rs 30,45,000 ex. showroom. That's a 60,000 increase and without Canton Audio. Increase is across all variants of Octavia and Superb.

Last edited by LeoMachine : 12th October 2022 at 11:57. Reason: Grammar
LeoMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 17:56   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Today I tried both the 8 speaker and the 11 speaker Canton systems. The difference is very clear and substantial. The Canton system is much more capable and powerful with better fidelity and very tight bass and very clear mids and Highs.

The 8 speaker system pales in comparison honestly.

The Canton system has a different user interface with Canton branding and has a 6 band equalizer while the 8 speaker system has a ordinary Bass, Mids and Treble adjustment.

The difference in sound quality was immediately apparent as soon as turned on the Canton system after trying the 8 speaker system first.

We then went back to the 8 speaker system and tried our best to tweak it but it never came close to the sound quality of the Canton system.

All testing wad done with all soubd settings on the Bluetooth phone set to normal with no sound enhancements.

We used a oneplus 7T pro and a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra for the tests and the results were consistent with the Canton sounding much much better across a range of frequencies and at varying levels of volume.

It's unfortunate that Skoda removed the Canton system. It was quite impressive frankly.
Traveler is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 22:10   #1145
Senior - BHPian

So did anyone upgrade their suspension yet for better handling?
Saw an Instagram post from Pete’s where new Octavia L&K is upgraded with Bilstein B6 dampers. Now that’s definitely going to take it to next level of fun.

Last edited by sunikkat : 13th October 2022 at 22:11.
Old 15th October 2022, 20:48   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Last week my L&K crossed the 15000 km mark and 9 months of ownership. As I reflect on the ownership experience, these things stand out specifically from behind the wheel

Highlights
Consummate highway cruiser with smooth, refined drives returning great fuel economy at good (but steady) speeds
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20220819_033018554.jpg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221001_022130470.jpg

Exceptional headlights which inspires confidence during night drives. The LED elements do their thing when taking sharp bends at night and the spread and the brightness (Low/High beam) are just perfect
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-a_20221001075917.jpg

Interior lighting is just brilliant with their theatrical dimming, there isn't a dark corner anywhere in the car (boot included). The front spot lights are so well focussed that it doesn't bathe the front seat passengers' faces in light but lights up everything else
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20220125_162730094.night.jpg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20220125_162614925.night.jpg

Absolutely devours luggage and numerous airport runs proved it (one particular visit had two trolleys full of luggage stacked up of various sizes)

Lovely dual tone horn and it is loud with the insulation masking its impact inside the cabin. I am consciously trying to minimise its use beyond courtesy taps

Lowlights
Some niggles faced as well, but thanks to TAFE's exceptionally good warranty handling, it didn't feel sour.

VAG and their roof liner gremlins! Roof liner was observed to be fraying at the edges behind the driver sun visor - replaced under warranty and its a mammoth piece of trim.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img20220503wa0001.jpg

The glovebox wasn't closing properly at times, I suspected the release pin getting jammed - replaced under warranty

Some thuds heard around the rear parcel shelf and no amount of re-fitment from my end addressed it, but fixed during service

I am quite dissatisfied with wireless charging (rather not charging) my Pixel 6. It's not the fastest either when it does charge and so I keep my phone face down and rely on a stubby USB C charging cable

An errant biker cradling his helmet on his arm knocked the indicator bit clean off the ORVM. While the indicator works and is visible, I cannot stand the toothless grin and await the replacement plastic strip (hopefully not a sticker shock!)
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221008_034707172.jpg

Other service highlights
Since the car was under a service pack it was a Rs 0.0 affair, however I did interior cleaning and wheel alignment (chargeable)so that it all gets done in one place and time

I love it when the SA captures images of the car being worked upon
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img20221008wa00052.jpg

OS update of Infotainment - it feels more responsive and the bugs are hopefully gone. The welcome screen of Android Auto also looks a little different although I didn't capture it
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img20221012wa0007.jpg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img20221013wa0000.jpg

There was a server issue at TAFE and the invoice (for chargeable items) could not be generated at the time of pick up. The SA immediately raised a manual Gate Pass and let me leave without delay, saying the invoice can be paid later. A pleasant and warm gesture, I felt

A click during top up at Shell (where engine and ignition off is insisted), I noticed that the infotainment (and media) remains on much to the suspicion of the pump attendant. Can everything be turned off and absolutely dark inside, I am curious
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221008_030943987.jpg

To conclude, the depth of engineering and attention to detail makes its presence felt everytime one gets behind the wheel; a very satisfying feeling at that

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2022 at 06:49. Reason: As requested
GeeTee TSI is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 15:37   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
The glovebox wasn't closing properly at times, I suspected the release pin getting jammed - replaced under warranty

OS update of Infotainment - it feels more responsive and the bugs are hopefully gone. The welcome screen of Android Auto also looks a little different although I didn't capture it
I too am facing the issue with the glovebox. It just wont reliably lock from the left side. Awaiting the replacement part from the factory, and will be taken care of under warranty.

May I please request for a clear screenshot of the infotainment system, post the update. My car just had its first annual service, and wanted to check if that's been taken care of at the workshop.
Old 16th October 2022, 20:27   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
I too am facing the issue with the glovebox. It just wont reliably lock from the left side. Awaiting the replacement part from the factory, and will be taken care of under warranty.

May I please request for a clear screenshot of the infotainment system, post the update. My car just had its first annual service, and wanted to check if that's been taken care of at the workshop.
There you go
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221016_141944074.jpg

Regarding the glovebox, the locking mechanism is on the right extreme so pushing it from the left may not result in the click (the lid could flex). Close it from the release handle side and it clicks shut each time.

In my case the replaced glovebox now lines up perfectly with the dash trim (which my earlier one didn't and failed to close properly at times)

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 16th October 2022 at 20:28.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 20:39   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
There you go
Attachment 2368817

Regarding the glovebox, the locking mechanism is on the right extreme so pushing it from the left may not result in the click (the lid could flex). Close it from the release handle side and it clicks shut each time.

In my case the replaced glovebox now lines up perfectly with the dash trim (which my earlier one didn't and failed to close properly at times)
Thank you for that, ill certainly check my version tomorrow. Hope its updated.

In the case of the glovebox, while it shuts perfectly from the right side, my left side lock is very sticky, and does not deploy fully, which results in it not locking in. It tends to open up on bumpy roads, hence they suggested a replacement.
Old 16th October 2022, 23:49   #1150
BHPian

Hi,

My new Octavia (3 months old) was unattended for 3 weeks as I was out of India. On my return, I noticed on my app that battery level has dropped down to 70% approx and car wouldn’t start. I tried connecting with RSA but the support is horribly slow and I am very disappointed with the response. They haven’t attended to my request for more than 24 hrs now and they keep saying their system is down and they are unable to track my request on system. I m thinking of taking care of this on my own as I can locally arrange for a jump start or remove battery to have it charged 100%. What do you guys suggest? Should I take care on my own? If yes then which of the two is more preferred - jump start or remove the battery to charge it completely?
Old 17th October 2022, 00:34   #1151
BHPian

Which app are you using? So far I have not been able to connect my car to any app from Skoda.
Old 17th October 2022, 11:38   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Hi,

My new Octavia (3 months old) was unattended for 3 weeks as I was out of India. On my return, I noticed on my app that battery level has dropped down to 70% approx and car wouldn’t start. I tried connecting with RSA but the support is horribly slow and I am very disappointed with the response. They haven’t attended to my request for more than 24 hrs now and they keep saying their system is down and they are unable to track my request on system. I m thinking of taking care of this on my own as I can locally arrange for a jump start or remove battery to have it charged 100%. What do you guys suggest? Should I take care on my own? If yes then which of the two is more preferred - jump start or remove the battery to charge it completely?
Jump starting is an easy DIY. Connect positive of your battery to positive of donor battery and negative of donor battery to bare metal portion (no paint and away from any electronics or wires) on your car. Once that is done, you may start your car. It is just a matter of having a spare battery or a neighbours car and sufficient thickness copper cables with crocodile pins.
Old 18th October 2022, 07:45   #1153
Jo2
BHPian

Does look like the Glove box issue is a common one? We experienced this on and off , reached out to the service center who kind of dodged a replacement and we then eventually decided to live with it. Although it opens randomly much lesser now.

Guess I should be persistent and get this replaced!

Also a question for this group- when phone is connected via bluetooth, any means to attend phone calls via any of the buttons on the steering wheel ? I am having to go to the touchscreen to swipe to attend or reject calls and is very distracting.
Old 18th October 2022, 10:09   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo2 View Post
Does look like the Glove box issue is a common one? We experienced this on and off , reached out to the service center who kind of dodged a replacement and we then eventually decided to live with it. Although it opens randomly much lesser now.

Guess I should be persistent and get this replaced!

Also a question for this group- when phone is connected via bluetooth, any means to attend phone calls via any of the buttons on the steering wheel ? I am having to go to the touchscreen to swipe to attend or reject calls and is very distracting.
You can pick the call pressing the right side scroll button, however, I am still trying to find out how to decline/end the call
Old 18th October 2022, 13:12   #1155
BHPian

Hi All,

Firstly a Happy and Bright Diwali to all

I noticed in my L&K that reverse camera stays "on" even after Drive is active. It goes off when car moves few meters else it keeps showing the reverse view. This bug is since day 1, anyone else experienced it?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221017_113054376.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks