Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2022, 08:50   #1216
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Finally, I am done with my much-awaited Rajasthan - Gujrat road trip of 3500 KMs (Current Odo - 7560 KMs), and below are my inputs on how the Octavia performed:
Thanks, Neonwheels, for the description. Loved it I'm itching to get my Octavia on the highway and since I belong to Himachal, I hope it will manage the hilly terrain and escalation without a fuss even with the car all packed.

I am looking forward to your next trip preview and experience with the best family sedan in its class.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th November 2022 at 10:56. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
Travelfarbeyond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 13:03   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only once, I had to manually increase the fan speed to accelerate the cooling process. We all were always comfortable throughout our journey.
Might be stating the obvious here, but the climate control has a 'blower setting' buried within the 'auto' icon (one needs to press icon to get here)

This would be the throw of air experienced in auto setting
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-pxl_20221113_062010979.jpg  

GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 20:47   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Might be stating the obvious here, but the climate control has a 'blower setting' buried within the 'auto' icon (one needs to press icon to get here)

This would be the throw of air experienced in auto setting
Never discovered this . Will try it when I feel the AC is not effective.
Old 14th November 2022, 14:43   #1219
BHPian

Does 'Auto Hold' option help in any way to save fuel or should I ask, does it consume lesser fuel.

Of late it takes 30-40 minutes to cross a 1Km stretch due to Metro construction, and most of the time, the vehicles don't move and are stationery.
I find it very comfortable to switch Auto hold On at these times and take the right foot off the brake pedal.

But not sure whether putting the vehicle in N would be a better option from a fuel consumption pov.
Old 14th November 2022, 15:28   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Does 'Auto Hold' option help in any way to save fuel or should I ask, does it consume lesser fuel.

Of late it takes 30-40 minutes to cross a 1Km stretch due to Metro construction, and most of the time, the vehicles don't move and are stationery.
I find it very comfortable to switch Auto hold On at these times and take the right foot off the brake pedal.

But not sure whether putting the vehicle in N would be a better option from a fuel consumption pov.
My personal choice is to put it into N and keep the brakes pressed. Auto hold is good in stop and go but I never keep D/S engaged for anything longer than 5 secs stop. Once you move to "N", auto hold is not available.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:44   #1221
BHPian

Hi Folks, have a few observations/queries wrt the car

Wireless Charging
  1. Anyone using wireless charging on their car, have you experienced extreme heating issues with phone as well as charging pad. I charge an S22 and iPhone 13 Pro wirelessly and both become so hot while charging that it becomes concerning and I need to remove these from the charging pad.
  2. Haven't looked much, but is there an option to disable wireless charging? That slot is the most ergonomic and convenient place to keep phone(s) but I dont want to use wireless charger.
  3. What is the precedence of charging when wired but kept on wireless charger? I have started charging S22 using cable (no explosions intended ) but as soon as I rest it on the charging pad, I see a notification on infotainment around wireless charging getting started. FWIW, wired charging should take precedence over wireless. Has anybody experienced this?

Auto Dimming of I/O Rear View Mirrors
  1. When auto dimming is coming into effect, I see IRVM and right side ORVM getting dimmed, but left ORVM doesnt seem to have that dimming layer installed and the glare from that mirror doesnt help.
  2. When either of front row interior ambient lights are turned on, auto dimming stops working, I assume a sensor could be right around the IRVM but isnt that an issue? On few occasions, we had to keep front passenger interior lights turned on to keep our infant less distracted but this thing in turn increases distraction from the unwanted glare thanks to multiple folks running on high beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post

I am not sure about fuel savings but I definitely care a lot about my DSG expenses , i.e. whenever I have to leave my car idle on D/S while braked for longer duration which MAY cause unwarranted fatigue to the gearbox. With that being said, I usually try to slot it into N when I foresee a static wait time while on red lights on B2B traffic.
Also this is the shift by wire gearbox and I have seen the car getting slotted between D/N and vice versa while on the move without pressing brake but keeping car in neutral helps me keep calm.
rahul1407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 10:17   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My personal choice is to put it into N and keep the brakes pressed. Auto hold is good in stop and go but I never keep D/S engaged for anything longer than 5 secs stop. Once you move to "N", auto hold is not available.
The auto hold feature is a convenience feature precisely for the use case of stop and go traffic (this link elaborates its operation). I do not think it is a bad practice to use this manufacturer provided feature ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
is there an option to disable wireless charging? That slot is the most ergonomic and convenient place to keep phone(s) but I dont want to use wireless charger.

What is the precedence of charging when wired but kept on wireless charger?
I keep my Pixel 6 face down in the same location and it does not wirelessly charge (it rarely charges even if kept the right way).
Cable charging works well (and fast enough) and takes precedence over wireless charging whichever way one places the phone. I keep a stubby 6" cable to not coil around the console
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:05   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
The auto hold feature is a convenience feature precisely for the use case of stop and go traffic (this link elaborates its operation). I do not think it is a bad practice to use this manufacturer provided feature ?
What I am saying is, I avoid having the car in gear (D/S) when I see I have to stop for more than 5 secs. I am not sure if when auto hold is engaged, GB smartly disengages the clutch and gear. In stop n go, I still use this auto hold feature.

BTW, I have observed few times that whenever I approach my car, it automatically unlocks if I have keys on me. This usually happens when I approach from rear side of the car. Anyone cracked this algo? Or is it supposed to unlock all the time?

Last edited by neoonwheels : 15th November 2022 at 11:07.
Old 15th November 2022, 12:11   #1224
BHPian

When I wait on signals or traffic jam, I put it to Parking. So I keep shifting between P and D. Is that going to cause any harm?
Old 15th November 2022, 12:23   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvan1988 View Post
When I wait on signals or traffic jam, I put it to Parking. So I keep shifting between P and D. Is that going to cause any harm?
Only if someone bangs your car from behind. Reason I usually keep N engaged with brakes pressed.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 18:02   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Guys just wanted to share some information. A Skoda dealer just informed me there is a 50k discount on the L&K variant and 75k on the Style variant. This was on a followup call from my last visit and was offered upfront with no negotiation whatsoever on my part.
I presume bigger more meaningful discounts may now once again be posssible for the Octavia.
Old 17th November 2022, 22:08   #1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Guys just wanted to share some information. A Skoda dealer just informed me there is a 50k discount on the L&K variant and 75k on the Style variant. This was on a followup call from my last visit and was offered upfront with no negotiation whatsoever on my part.
I presume bigger more meaningful discounts may now once again be posssible for the Octavia.
I was given the same information but that discount changes when you tell them that you'll get insurance from outside by yourself. I have made my booking last week.
Az_Dan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 00:14   #1228
BHPian

Gentlemen, I am making my mind to get the Octavia (most likely style variant). I intend to buy the car in March. However with the car getting discontinued in march, I am afraid, they might run out of stock by that time.

Also, anybody has any thoughts on any discounts we can expect lets say in January (When they try to clear out 2022 stock)? The reason I ask this is in January this year, I had enquired about Octavia for my brother. The style was 31 lakhs on road and we were offered close to 3 lakhs discount and the car was available for 28ish. Today the car's prices have been increased and it seems Style in Gurgaon is around 33 lakhs on road. It feels like being robbed for having to pay 33 lakhs for something that was offered for 28 lakhs a few months ago.

I am really confused as to how to approach this. Octavia is a bit of a stretch for me, hence I intend to lower the price as much as possible. Do I try to buy the car now, or in January hoping for some discounts or wait for March for some last minute big discounts to clear inventory but with the risk of cars running out of stock.

Any information or thoughts will be welcome!!

Thank you
Rachit

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 18th November 2022 at 00:16.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 08:13   #1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Gentlemen, I am making my mind to get the Octavia (most likely style variant). I intend to buy the car in March. However with the car getting discontinued in march, I am afraid, they might run out of stock by that time.

Also, anybody has any thoughts on any discounts we can expect lets say in January (When they try to clear out 2022 stock)? The reason I ask this is in January this year, I had enquired about Octavia for my brother. The style was 31 lakhs on road and we were offered close to 3 lakhs discount and the car was available for 28ish. Today the car's prices have been increased and it seems Style in Gurgaon is around 33 lakhs on road. It feels like being robbed for having to pay 33 lakhs for something that was offered for 28 lakhs a few months ago.

I am really confused as to how to approach this. Octavia is a bit of a stretch for me, hence I intend to lower the price as much as possible. Do I try to buy the car now, or in January hoping for some discounts or wait for March for some last minute big discounts to clear inventory but with the risk of cars running out of stock.

Any information or thoughts will be welcome!!

Thank you
Rachit

Was pretty much in the same boat last month and decided to get it now as against waiting until Jan/Feb'22. At least in Mumbai, the dealers don't have ready stock (based on my discussion with two of them). So the question of 'clearing stock' at discounted prices doesn't arise, in my opinion. Also, i went ahead with booking the Style variant as the features it misses out on are 'nice to have' but I won't miss them if they aren't there. Am still waiting for my VIN allocation.
Old 18th November 2022, 16:15   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hi Rachit,

I also had the same strategy in early 2020 before Bharat VI roll out and missed out on the 3rd generation model (especially red color) as stocks ran out and there were no discounts on offer. Therefore, this time I went ahead and bought the car and not leaving it to the chance.

May be you get lucky and able to grab a nice deal however probability might be low. Also with prices being hiked (Skoda recently jacked up the price of Octavia by Rs60k) its unlikely any discounts will be on offer.

Moreover the next version might be 1.5 TSI and 2.0 might get discontinued hence 190 HPs may not be available in future.

Do consider all factors and then take a call. Despite of spending around 33.5 lakhs I'm happy as this car beats models worth 45-50 lakhs

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2022 at 17:51. Reason: Quoted text edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks