Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:00   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

A Taigun GT Plus MT in the offing? Seen in the portal:

Volkswagen Taigun Review-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd September 2021 at 21:02.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:45   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite fantastic pricing - I never imagined VW would undercut Skoda in the top variant. Yes it does not have a sub woofer and ventilated seats, but it has the digital cockpit, better looking interiors, and the VW badge. I personally think the Kushaq looks better from the outside (I really dislike the red light bar on the tail gate) - so guess that balances out. Yes, you have to pick the colour carefully to avoid the ugly red trims inside - is it clear if this is an option or if it is forced on you based on the exterior colour?

I suspect we will see EPC issues in this car too - am sure VW / Skoda will eventually fix it but there does seem to be some uncertainty around the root cause here. But overall, seems like a great car to buy (esp the 1.5 GT Plus DSG).
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:46   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
The cat is out of the bag!

Attachment 2211100
The Chennai dealer charging a cool 10K for "Logistics"! God only knows how much the insurance is padded.
Newtown is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:20   #604
BHPian

And.... Off she goes from my shortlist. Had the base variant been priced just below 10.00 Lacs, the on road price would have been lower by further 0.50 lacs in my state. Not so keen on the 1.0 Turbo anyway. Had the price been aggressive, would have definitely given a second thought.

Now, hoping that the MG Astor would come up with a competitive price.
DImPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:32   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
And.... Off she goes from my shortlist. Had the base variant been priced just below 10.00 Lacs, the on road price would have been lower by further 0.50 lacs in my state.
It was already known that Taigun would be priced at a premium, as Kushaq was launched at 10.5, it was very unlikely that VW would launch the Taigun at lower price. Infact they have launched at exact same price, which is surprising.
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:34   #606
Senior - BHPian

With a few relatively uncommon (in this segment) safety features making its appearance in the Taigun, including a few ready references below
Electronic Differential Lock
Brake Disc Wiping
Multi Collision Braking
Brake Assist System

VW and Skoda might as well go the distance in not just highlighting these features but also explaining the same using animation or what not, the average buyer may gloss over new/unfamiliar terms.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:50   #607

I sold my previous car (Q3 diesel) some time back. I'm confused between the Seltos X-Line, Taigun, Kushaq & XUV700. I've got a limited 15K per annum run in Delhi. So, I will prefer petrol. I am terribly confused soul now.

Booked a Kushaq, but cancelled it due to lack of 6 airbags.

Booked an X-Line Seltos. Loved the looks, feel and build of it. Should be ready for delivery in 2-4 weeks. But I am confused due to the weak NCAP rating.

I plan to book an XUV700 and get that "buy Indian" thrill. I'm not sure about the delivery timelines though.

No Aster as I say no to Chinese.

I had booked Taigun GT+. They promised to deliver by Mid/End October. Had a look at the car today in their showroom. My feedback -

1. Digital cockpit (so called) & infotainment console placement looks better. Overall feel of the interior is good. The Kushaq was equally good. Nowhere close to the X-Line Seltos though.

2. Exterior is equally good, but nowhere close to the X-Line Seltos.

4. Seat quality is cheap. No ventilated seats in the GT+.

5. AC vents quality is worse than an Alto. Roof quality is worse than Mumbai's Fiat taxi.

6. I'm yet to get to drive the Taigun. The drive of the Kushaq was superb. In fact, the suspension of the Kushaq was also very impressive. The drive and suspension of the Seltos was also good, but nowhere close to Germans.

7. The music system of the Seltos was the best. The Kushaq's top variant with woofer was also very very good. The Taigun GT+ is without a woofer, but still it's okay.

8. Looked at the Taigun's sunroof with the shade opened. All its components were exposed and it looked ugly. Not a VW. Both these German products lack sincerity and they lack long term purpose. How did those AC vents pass German quality standards? And they are asking Rs. 17.5L for this product?

No 360 degree camera, cost-cutting visible everywhere - looks like the Germans are more confused than me.

Product wise, you can't beat the Koreans and their resale value in the second hand market demonstrates the same. Koreans cheat on what's not visible and can't be felt (safety).

Looks like the Chinese and Koreans will take a leap ahead of the Germans here.

Guess I should finally look at the XUV700 or X-Line Seltos and drive it more carefully

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2021 at 21:47. Reason: Typos, grammar
yadavsunil is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th September 2021, 00:03   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Spare is a 16” rim with a 205/55 section tyre:

[/i]
I was going through the review once again and noticed this.. why is a significantly smaller tyre given as spare? The closest to 205/55/r17 (545mm radius) on a 16" rim would have been 205/65/r16 (540mm radius).
A 205/55/r16 is just 519mm radius, 4.7% smaller! Wouldn't this severely affect driving?
Even considering they have other variants with 205/60/r16, at least that should have been provided!
mandarpotdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 09:39   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
The two safety features, Multi-collusion Brakes and Electronic Differential Lock System seems to be first in segment and available from base variant. What exactly they mean and how they function.
I'm not sure about the second one, but multi-collision brakes, under specific conditions, apply the brakes after one impact without driver input to prevent a secondary impact from occurring due to the car spinning out of control after the first crash. Also helps because one-time-use restraint systems like airbags and pretensioners can only help for one impact, and airbags are usually deflated by the time the second impact occurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Check out this post (Volkswagen Taigun Review) by a fellow BHPian too. It answers both your queries.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 10:15   #610
BHPian

Got this pricing from a Mumbai dealer. The total insurance, if I have understood this correctly is ₹1.03 lakh for the Topline 1.0 AT variant. I’ve never seen such a high Insurance cost before this for this segment. Hoping my understanding is way off the mark. Also what’s this new Handling cost element that they’re dumping on customers

Unrelated to pricing concerns, what is the power delivery experience with a 1.0 Turbo engine, especially while climbing steep ghat sections. Is there enough power to through to the top of really steep inclines, without breaking into a sweat.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-35c5dd783c1f49068abcfd9a5beaa4e7.jpeg  

Old 24th September 2021, 10:58   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I feel 1.5 MT buyers should just look at the Skoda. Just see the amount of kit it has for an additional 1.2 lakhs only -
If you're somebody who is in the market for an XUV300 or other cars in that segment, spending a couple of lakhs more to get to the Taigun GT might be worth it. In that context, the Kushaq 1.5 will be out of reach.

Is there actually any right way to look at it at all?
naadopaasaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 11:20   #612

Isnt Volkswagen Taigun better than the Hyundai Creta in everything? Interested to know the members views here. I see a lot of bashing and "overpriced" for what I think is a pretty good car.
nks81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 11:36   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nks81 View Post
Isnt Volkswagen Taigun better than the Hyundai Creta in everything? Interested to know the members views here. I see a lot of bashing and "overpriced" for what I think is a pretty good car.
These are just opinions . Everyone has one to share. Both the vehicle are good in their own right. The difference is which one ticks most of the boxes for a user which again is relative. Neither Taigun nor Creta is the ultimate vehicle. I own a Creta 19 model and I feel Taigun is a good product. It offers better handling for which they are charging more. What's the fuss about it.
What I hate is people becoming fanboys and trying to show the other product as an inferior one and justifying either their own purchase or influencing someone else.
Artyom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 11:37   #614
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Whatever said, an aspirational product like a VW Taigun is available at these prices!!! The warranty/RSA/and service packages take away all the headaches. I think VW is back in the game. Hope this product clicks for them.
My thoughts exactly. I do hope this clicks for VW and they do address the A.S.S issues as a brand. There is something of a snob value to the VW even if you pay the same amount for a car in a different brand.

Last edited by Mafia : 24th September 2021 at 11:47.
Old 24th September 2021, 11:49   #615
BHPian

Here are the prices for Bangalore. Extended warranty & care packages to be separately bought.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-taigaprices.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Prominent features Topline gets over Highline, and GT Plus over GT (more or less)
  • Cruise Control (really VW?! )
The Sales Advisor seems certain that all AT variants have Cruise Control. Therefore, either the brochure has a mistake or he is incorrect. Either way, this is shoddy work by VW

EDIT: The SA shared a pic of the Highline AT steering that clearly shows controls on the steering for cruise. He was right and the brochure shows it incorrectly

Name:  Highline_AT_Cruise.jpeg
Views: 1106
Size:  85.1 KB

Last edited by pannags : 24th September 2021 at 12:10. Reason: Updated Information
pannags is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed