Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 09:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Anyone considering this for anything other than pure offroad use is suggested to go through this ownership review.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5033007 (Extreme xtreme! Force Gurkha Xtreme 4x4 ownership review)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedEza View Post
S Also, I found out that a lot of parts such as the AC components, turbocharger, intercooler, common rail, etc are not covered under warranty as these components are outsourced. So any issues with these and you have to directly deal with the respective makers. Force offers a mere 18 months standard warranty (no extended warranty) and these components are not even included in it .
Wow, in more that 2 decades of my automobile experience, hearing this for the first time. Looks like prospective owners must check the warranty clause before buying the Gurkha.
The new Gurkha definitely looks smashing, Force motors has very much redesigned the entire vehicle, ground up. If they want to target the city dwellers, they really need to bring out an automatic. that's probably one of the reasons why Thar is in good demand, which as someone mentioned is Jack of all and king of none.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:13   #62
BHPian

I'm actually pretty proud of Force Motors. Even though they are such a small manufacturer, their enthusiasm & work-appeal is something which even Ford didn't have (something which could've prevented Ford from leaving).

So what if the off-roading segment in India is niche? So what if the car feels as if it's 20 years old (save the touchscreen ICE & LEDs)? So what if their engine is feels primitive? Force still gave a full-hearted attempt, focussed on their strengths, made some significant features available in the Gurkha which is absent in the Thar, went ahead with the engine they had, and most importantly, didn't give up.

Huge respect to Force Motors for its persistence.
I might not end up buying one, but this car does pull the strings of the heart.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 16th September 2021 at 11:18.
Big Smoke is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:34   #63
BHPian

I am just waiting to hit that jackpot to get this as my second car. I currently drive a Duster AWD which takes care of both on road and off road requirements. With the gurkha, I guess I would need a secod family car at home.
The home page seems to be well sorted with service given an extra thought. Hope all that turns good in practice too.

They should have made entry possible from front door too for two reasons. 1. When there is enough luggage at rear, exit and entry is going to be a nightmare. 2. However comfortable the seat is, there would be some who wish to replace it with a bench to accomadate an extra passenger.

I liked their colour selection though. and the nomenclature. No fancy names. Just green, red, white etc.
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:55   #64
BHPian

It looks amazing but no comparison to Thar. Thar has something for everyone while Gurkha has specific used cases.

In my view if Gurkha really wanted to sell more then should have offered AT. Any reason why they dont offer AT?
Old 16th September 2021, 12:23   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Interesting, never seen it referred this way.
You learn something everyday
"Wagen" is German, not English. It literally means "wagon". This is why VW too is spelt Volkswagen (Folks' wagon or people's car).

Cheers
tilt is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:08   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Cars like these are great - solid mechanicals and low on fluff / fancy features. Gives you a better connection while driving IMO.
This would make a great 2nd car in the house to accompany a fast sedan.

Might be a noob question but what is 4x4x4 ?

The website is slick no doubt, but they still need to proofread it better - G-Wagon is spelled as G-Wagen!
4x4x4=64! It also means the car can go using its 4x4 wheels where a driver would ordinarily have to crawl on all 4s if on foot.

The car certainly has appealing looks both front and rear. I hope all the 100s of people who have made a Thar booking with that endless waiting period being asking themselves this - "Why invest so much money to acquire a fat wife who refuses to do household chores (carry all that vacation luggage) when I can become the macho Malboro Man with a trusty Steed that does everything and goes everywhere I wanna go?!" Then switch to booking the Gurkha instead!

It is funny how some folks diss the looks while others love every inch of it. Ok I still haven't seen it in real life but I like what I see and its coming in to my stable in a few years time.

Last edited by Ragul : 16th September 2021 at 14:11.
Ragul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:46   #67
BHPian

The advantages on Gurkha are not minor advantages, they are huge.

Metal hard top. Takes about 2 lacs if needs to be changed in the thar. The default one has started to fade and leak already in some cases. Wind noise seperate.

Snorkel. Apart from the functionality of it, it is the only snorkel in india that cannot be challaned what so ever. hehe.

DIFF LOCKS. (in capitals for obvious reasons). The DIFFerence is day and night. No argument.

Accessories: Not a single product is a waste on the gurkha where as in thar... Well yea I surely DO NEED those over priced chrome strip and those black patches here and there.

Rear seat setting: I dont want to even write anything here.

Boot space: Gurkha ups Thar here too.

Warranty : 3 years uncompromised warranty.

5 door version: That is also coming along.

I know the disadvantages of gurkha too. I do realize the gurkha dash and steering isnt as good as thar. But that just the dash coz every other size and top panel is fine. Steering covers come cheap. I can manage with that....

I know on highways it may not be able to do 120-130 like the thar. I am fine with that too.

Apart from that, Thar is a fuel guzzler man. Up here in the mountains the petrol version is averaging at 6kmpl. Thats a real life number i am giving you guys.

To end it the design man. I know that's a relative from person to person. But i love it. The sense of uniqueness is also a thing for me. The commonality of being a that with every tom dick and harry irks me.

We did not evolve from apes to behave like sheep.

Cheers guys..
aasheeshmehta is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:55   #68
BHPian

This certainly is a jackpot segment in the making. I say this because

- Ability of the car to fulfill both urban and off-roading needs.

- A cult figure in the making for all the tier 2 and 3 cities where one can be sure to make the presence felt. Feels déjà vu with Royal Enfield back in the day.

- It forms a perfect second car option in the future. Imagine a Hatch/Sedan/EV for the city and a proper SUV for everything else.

- Solo trips, mountains or beach would be lot more interesting on such a car.

Personally, I'm planning (read as dreaming ) to replace my second car Kwid AMT in the coming years with one of either Thar or Gurkha for the sheer novelty it offers, owning one for life and take it anywhere factor.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:28   #69
BHPian

Can't the power deficit on the new Gurkha be solved with a tuning box or a remap? Does the low revving nature of the engine prevent a tuning box or remap?

Perhaps this question is like putting the cart before the horse
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 21:22   #70
BHPian

Can anyone spot the recovery points on this new version of the Gurkha? I looked at many videos and photos but could not see any recovery hooks or points. Or is that an after-market accessory?
Old 16th September 2021, 23:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
Can anyone spot the recovery points on this new version of the Gurkha? I looked at many videos and photos but could not see any recovery hooks or points. Or is that an after-market accessory?

There is a big tow hook at the back.
Old 17th September 2021, 07:20   #72
BHPian

I hope that Gurkha brings some good numbers for Force Motors. Its not for Off Road lovers but Force did try to make it as much Urban as they could. I am expecting this to be prices somewhere close to 13L, which will not be a bad deal at all. TeamBHP will soon have a more detailed review with the Off-Roading capability tested with Thar.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
Can anyone spot the recovery points on this new version of the Gurkha? *SNIP*
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasheeshmehta View Post
There is a big tow hook at the back.
Er... a tow-hook is not a recovery point - completely different animals. Tow-hooks cannot be used for recovery - very dangerous.

Cheers
tilt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:52   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Force has surprised me at least with the effort they have put into the product agains the back drop of Thar closing the doors on any competition. They did manage to bring the product out while a new gypsy is nowhere to be seen.

Force is not a familiar brand in the hinterlands (cruiser, toofan etc are localised market) and that limits its usage beyond a certain crowd. I will give force the benefit of doubt only when I see them in Western Ghats, something tells me that isn't going to happen any time soon.
Old 17th September 2021, 11:04   #75
BHPian

Received a lovely surprise last week, when I got a call from the company that we have been invited for the launch and have been given a day exclusively to review the BS6 Gurkha and share our views.

Apart from feeling special, its really great on the part of the company to reach out to owners, all in all 5 owners from various parts of our country were brought in for the same.

Having returned late from the venue yesterday, I have yet not had the time to put down everything and the footage but here is a teaser, could not resist

And believe you me, the difference is Night and Day in every aspect, except of course that it has not lost its off-road capability and using that DNA it has been built - From The Ground Up!

And since it is the case, I thought why not give a first look from Up Above!

The Regiment

Force Gurkha Review-regiment.jpeg

May the Force be with us All!

Force Gurkha Review-fg-slpn.jpeg
Trojan is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks