Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 21:14   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

What is the the comfortable cruising speed, Any Idea?
If it can cruise at 110 -20 that will be adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Attachment 2215383

- Ease of driving is great, like in my Gurkha, the 3rd gear is a very useful tool for the city

How I wish I would have got a chance to really stretch her legs a bit, and in spite of driving 70kms, there was no opportunity whatsoever!

https://Youtu.be/Ie5rLrQ9d1Q

Cheers,

Last edited by lohithrao : 3rd November 2021 at 21:16.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:56   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I think these Radar Rugged Terrain tyres and Plati Alloys rims will really suit the Gurkha.

Yupp definitely. I have been looking forward to you posting the picture after the change. Even I think of changing the tyres to BFGs on day 1 with similar profile and similar taste of alloys. Am sure it will look badass once you have put them on.

Congratulations and good luck to you.
aasheeshmehta is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:04   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
What is the the comfortable cruising speed, Any Idea?
If it can cruise at 110 -20 that will be adequate.
The vehicle has a top speed of about 125kmph. No way it comfortably maintain three digit speeds. It is geared short and the engine doesn’t rev high. Better to keep within these inherent limitations. Enjoy cruising with king of the road feeling at 80-90kmph.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:14   #334
BHPian

@Manuuj. I am really looking forward for the final shots with the Wheel and Type upgrade for Gurkha. From all the posts that I have been going through multiple times and also on the YouTube, I am inching towards buying Gurkha because it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

1. Everyone is appreciating the ride quality.
2. True 4x4 with Diff locks.
3. I was looking for a 5 Seater but atleast it is a proper 4 Seaters, with good enough entry and exit point for my folks
4. I dont drive at triple digit speeds, prefer to drive between 60 to 90.
swunkjyn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:36   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasheeshmehta View Post
Yupp definitely. I have been looking forward to you posting the picture after the change. Even I think of changing the tyres to BFGs on day 1 with similar profile and similar taste of alloys. Am sure it will look badass once you have put them on.

Congratulations and good luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
@Manuuj. I am really looking forward for the final shots with the Wheel and Type upgrade for Gurkha. From all the posts that I have been going through multiple times and also on the YouTube, I am inching towards buying Gurkha because it ticks a lot of boxes for me..
Thank you both! I too am eagerly awaiting my first look at the Gurkha with these wheels on. I think with the added 1 inch diameter and also the aggressive sidewall of these Radar Tyres it should look really good when mounted to the car.
Force Gurkha Review-20211103_142000.jpg

Should be a few weeks so we shall have to be patient.

By the way i was looking at the alloy wheel design that comes with the Gurkha and noticed that the alloy wheel seems to be mounted on some kind of spacer.
Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141438.jpg

Am i right?

Would really be obliged if a 2021 Gurkha owner could oblige us with pics to clear this up.

Am also very interested in the exact Center Hub Diameter of the 2021 Gurkha.

Thank you in advance!
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 08:16   #336
BHPian

I checked out the gurkha at khivraj in blr yesterday , I was surprised when they told me that they have a matte black on offer too. Has anyone else heard of it or seen it? Apparently one has been ordered from blr. I liked the vehicle but my only grouse was the lack of seat height adjust, and the limited adjustment range of that huge steering wheel.
howler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 15:05   #337
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Thank you both! I too am eagerly awaiting my first look at the Gurkha with these wheels on. I think with the added 1 inch diameter and also the aggressive sidewall of these Radar Tyres it should look really good when mounted to the car.
@Manuuj,
The alloys and tyres look smashing. Waiting to see them on your Gurkha soon .

I checked the Plati India website. These alloys are not listed. And there are limited options for 16 inch, 160 PCD, 5 bolt size combination. Most are out of stock. May be retail shops might have them in stock.

Looking at your selection, keeping the alloys clean is going to be a easy task as they dont have too many cuts and creases in their design.

No test drive vehicle in Bangalore yet. Common Force, do something.
Old 5th November 2021, 18:34   #338

I managed to test drive this pure-breed today and I just loved it. The moment I saw it, I knew it was built for someone like me (6feet, 90kgs). As others have mentioned, be it the front row, or the back row or even the roof, you do need to climb into the Gurkha. The showroom had a red variant for TD and the SA let me drive it for a short distance as there were other customers waiting for a TD. It didn't feel all that enjoyable to drive on crowded roads, but felt at home driving between 50-70kmph on open stretches. As the TD was a short one, I didn't get to engage any of the 4X4X4 modes. You will feel the body roll in this SUV. Driving position is commanding and you can see all the hatchbacks in front of you. However, if you are a tall person, the rear seat is not for you. Especially when you look outside, the upper half of your field is obstructed by the edge of the long single window pane. For those who are worried about the closed/sealed window, the SA told me of workshops that are willing to tinker with it to allow some air to come in (do it at your own risk). I found the absence of too many electronic components a welcome change (I know many will disagree with me here). Interiors are quick basic, but the AC works well and whatever you see is a functional rugged item. From previous owners I have heard that under body rusting is a persistent issue. The SA wasn't able to comment if there have been any changes in the 2021 model to address this issue. If anyone here knows about it, please do comment. There was no comment on the availability of the explorer edition showcased in Autoexpo. On the safety front, the SA told me that it is equivalent to 3 stars for safety, but I am unsure if that's just an SA being an SA.

While I was thoroughly satisfied with the beast, my partner wasn't one bit happy (she called it a school bus and a truck; the same monikers were used when we went to check out the Isuzu Dmax ) Nevertheless, I am happy I was able to TD. I shall continue following this thread as fellow BHPians lap up the new Gurkha. Meantime, I shall carry on with my efforts to convince my partner to let me own either of the Gurkha or Isuzu, or both If anyone has experience here please do help, haha.

Cheers!
cryptex is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 18:42   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
@Manuuj,
The alloys and tyres look smashing. Waiting to see them on your Gurkha soon .

I checked the Plati India website. These alloys are not listed. And there are limited options for 16 inch, 160 PCD, 5 bolt size combination. Most are out of stock. May be retail shops might have them in stock.

Looking at your selection, keeping the alloys clean is going to be a easy task as they dont have too many cuts and creases in their design.

No test drive vehicle in Bangalore yet. Common Force, do something.
Thank you so much..i really do like the Plati Alloys and have something special planned for them along these lines. Plan to get either a powder coat or paint done. Will go well with the Forest Green of the Gurkha.

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211028132236_google.jpg
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211028131926_google.jpg

I was lucky to get my hands on them thanks to Jitesh bhai at BK Tyres, New Delhi.

Most aftermarket suppliers usually provide 4 alloys as a set but he made sure i got 5 alloys of the design that i wanted.

The 160x5 PCD in 16 inch size specification is extremely rare. Except for the Bolero and Gurkha no other vehicle uses them now.

At one point there were a few vehicles using them like the Scorpio , Sumo etc but they are no longer in production. With most offroad vehicles moving to 17 and 18 inch rims supply is designed to meet the demand created for those sizes.

The same goes with tyres too. Got lucky with these Radar RT+.
Force Gurkha Review-20211103_163435.jpg

The Center Bore of the Plati Alloys that i have is 110 and the usual Center Hub Diameter for Gurkha is 108.5 which makes it a perfect fit.

I am awaiting confirmation from my contacts at Force or on the Team Bhp as to the 108.5 Center Hub Diameter being carried over into the new 2021 Gurkha.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211103225546_whatsapp.jpg
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211105123235_gallery.jpg

Many people don't match the C.B. to C.H.D.and that can cause minor issues like vibration at high speed to major safety issues like the wheels coming off due to the bolts shearing off on taking an impact they are not designed for, or even just due to wear over time.

Infact it may even be illegal to fit any wheel that does not seat with the center hub properly.
Manuuj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 06:51   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Am very surprised that hardly one or two of the people who have taken delivery are team-bhpian's. Guess on Team-bhp, the experience of many past buyers have been shared and hence there is some caution/restrain in jumping for this vehicle.

Many who were dissing the 2020 Thar are still fence sitting and maybe waiting for the Jimney.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 13:52   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Am very surprised that hardly one or two of the people who have taken delivery are team-bhpian's. Guess on Team-bhp, the experience of many past buyers have been shared and hence there is some caution/restrain in jumping for this vehicle.

Many who were dissing the 2020 Thar are still fence sitting and maybe waiting for the Jimney.
So far everything looks positive on the Gurkha. I'm waiting for the 5 Door.
ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 21:18   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

A bit early to say this no?

I've booked and am waiting for delivery.

There may be others too like me. Also many may be waiting for the 5 door version also as mention by ThatBalenoGuy.

A third and quite probable reason is that not all bhpians publicise their acquisitions

Last edited by Manuuj : 7th November 2021 at 21:22.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:19   #343
BHPian

I agree with Manuuj, here. It is too soon to come to premeditated and prejudiced conclusions. I find the real world users (of the Gurkha) on the forum (for example Trojan) and elsewhere are a realistic bunch who knew what they were/are signing up for and are pretty happy with the vehicle.

Some of the buyers of the new Gurkha, that I know personally, don't want to post because of the intense witch hunting and downright despicable bullying that Gurkha owners seem to be subjected to. All this bullying is done by a few individuals to please Mahindra or to align themselves with the super inflated egos of those who have placed themselves on high pedestals and assumed the role of G.O.A.T (Gods of Automotive Technology)? One doesn't have to be an investigative journalist to figure out the exact sequence of how the bullying and baiting has been done, so far.

The M.O. and agenda of this baiting has always been very simple. Pick up the 85-90 bhp number and pontificate about that for weeks while constantly making disparaging references to agricultural equipment. After that is beaten to death, immediately switch over to what the 4X4X4 stands for. I guess some juvenile itches have to be attended to.

And the bottomline seems to be that the armchair experts and analysts have special 'ESP and imaginary knowledge' of how the Gurkha supposedly drives and handles. All this while the real world user/s have to prove over and over again as to the efficacy and usability of the vehicle, both on and off the road.

So, multiple G.O.A.Ts' armchair analogy and analysis beats reality. :-) Contrary to what most people would say, I mean every bit of disrespect and disgust towards these G.O.A.Ts. May the likes of their ilk never besmirch the repute of mature and inclusive forums such as this one.

That said, only time will tell how many Gurkha owners will be happy with their rides and what issues they will report post their long-ish term usage. I hope Force changes gears, adopts new stance towards the market and users and resolves teething issues quickly.

Adding to what someone has already posted - We will have to wait and watch how the 5 door Thar, 5 door Gurkha and the Jimny will change the market perceptions and dynamics.
speedz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 17:05   #344
BHPian

Has anyone got a Test Drive of the new Gurkha in Bangalore?
I have been waiting for weeks now just to get a test drive.

One other ask from the owners, how much is the ground clearance near the front lower control arm. It appears to be too low on the display vehicle.
Has anyone measured it?

Last edited by ajithvpl : 8th November 2021 at 17:11.
Old 8th November 2021, 22:32   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to be passing by the Cochin Force Motors dealership today, when I saw a bright red Force Gurkha! I had to drop in and check out this much anticipated SUV. It has just reached the showroom today and the staff were also quite excited to get a closer look at it.

First impressions
- Its massive! There is no other way to put it. The presence on the road will be unmistakable. This is not the vehicle to buy if you love to be discreet and want to maintain a low profile in society.
- You have to climb up into the SUV to be seated. In comfort. I loved the huge seats.
- On the quality of the interiors, it is what it is. From this thread and all the videos that I had watched, I knew what to expect and if I had to give it a rating, it would be somewhere between Meets Expectations and Exceeds Expectations.
- Climbing in through the rear door will take some getting used to, but the back seats are super comfortable.
- The space inside is huge! Once people get into this SUV, they will love the sense of airiness.
- Audio quality was basic but fine.
- The more carefully I looked at it, the more I started liking and appreciating what Force Motors has done with the Gurkha. I remember seeing the Harrier when it first came out, and finding mismatched panels that had enough space to put a finger through, poorly aligned rubber beading etc. On the Force Gurkha, there was none of that.
- Three mandatory accessories are the chunky alloys (all 5) plus the Kenwood audio system plus the roof rails.
- The display vehicle had done 1,883 kilometers IIRC.

Overall, the strengths of the Gurkha are really impressive while the much touted weaknesses like interior quality, are not all that bad. At least in my books. This feels like a back to basics SUV but it isnt one that feels cheap. Others might feel like back to basics is a fancy way to say bargain basement or cheap, but to me, there is a clear difference.

A few months ago, I had taken a close look at the Mahindra Thar, and to me, the Thar and the Gurkha are two complimentary products. Neither one is perfect. Nor is there an obvious choice between the two. In fact, the ideal SUV in the sub 20L segment would have the best bits of both the SUVs
- Space and commanding position of the Gurkha
- Premium finish of the Thar
- Seats of the Gurkha
- Engine and automatic gearbox of the Thar
- Ride quality of the Gurkha
- Service network of the Thar
- 4* GNCAP rating of the Thar etc:

A five door Gurkha with an automatic and 6 airbags would be the perfect next vehicle for me. In the darkest shade of black paint that Force Motors can manufacture.

P.S - this was the first time that I have ever stepped foot into a Force Motors showroom. I have never driven a a 4x4 off road, or on road for that matter. Nor have I ever considered wanting to buy a proper old school SUV. Im impressed enough with the Gurkha, to take a test drive and contemplate my options.

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_164335.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_164846.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_164852.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_165015.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_164904.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_164918.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_165330.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_170022.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_170045.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20211108_170202.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed