Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 01:45   #541
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

How to adjust driver height in Adventure or lower trim? Correct seat position is critical for safe and comfortable driving. The car will be driven by me, driver and my wife - all 3 are of different heights.
Old 27th November 2022, 07:39   #542
BHPian

My 2010 Ford Figo had the same locking arrangement. I had never faced an issue.

Is there a way to program the remote to open only the driver side door. This was available in Figo. It is a good option to have particularly when traveling alone and parking in remote locations. Also from within the car you can program to unlock only driver side when pulling the lever.
Old 28th November 2022, 02:53   #543

Height adjustment for drivers seat is available only from the accomplished variant. Not available in lower variants.
Funambulist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:13   #544
BHPian

My post on Incline driving capability of the Tata Punch AMT.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5446606 (Hill-driving in an AMT)
Old 28th November 2022, 12:26   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
This is not a flaw but intentional design. Going forward, most of the car brands are going to adopt similar locking/unlocking mechanisms from a safety point of view. Volkswagen cars are also similar in their locking/unlocking. My Polo doesn't even have the unlock hook, it just opens from inside at all times.
I respectfully disagree. The flaw is not in the intent or design but it is in the implementation. A single "pull" or a single action should never open the door. IMP: Not unlock but OPEN the door.

Apparently, other Tata cars do not have this "single" pull , open flaw. Also, I have been informed that Tata Motors have acknowledged this flaw and are working on providing a "safety update". We shall wait and see. Social media and other review sites are getting flooded with this flaw now and we should hear something from TaMo soon.
Old 28th November 2022, 22:59   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The flaw is not in the intent or design but it is in the implementation. A single "pull" or a single action should never open the door. IMP: Not unlock but OPEN the door.
I did not express my opinion as to whether I approve of this or not. I simply said it's the way regulations are headed. I did not mean unlock, the VW cars open with a single pull as well. At least the Punch has push in to lock thing going for it, VW doesn't even have that! Why? Because that's how it's in Europe. Children must necessarily be seated on the backseat, with child locks on the doors turned on which prevents opening of the door from inside. All cars with this mechanism have child locks in the rear because it's simply illegal to have a child seated in the front passenger seat. One abrupt brake even at City speeds could be harmful for them.

Punch is their latest car, I would think the Altroz has something similar. These are the new directions of safety, not against safety and we should see similar locking systems appear in almost every car going forward.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 09:15   #547
BHPian

Hello fellow Punch owners. We are looking to add a small car to our garage. And we had finalized the Ignis. But we have decided to stretch our budget(significantly) and decided to book a Punch. We decided to wait for December, for any good offers that come along the way. And boy we were surprised. The Tata dealer we knew, has limited stock of 2022 Punches. They were initially very reluctant to even offer a sizeable discount. It was in a few thousands. Finally they've agreed to offer a month old Punch Accomplished Camo for a 13k discount. ( Sales executive claims it is sitting in the yard for a month)Provided I go with the dealer offered insurance. Seems like this is the max they can offer. Is this a good offer considering it is December. Or should I wait for a 2023 model. Cons for a 2023 model are 5% increase in the on-road price, car loan interest rates are likely to be increased. And will only get the car in the middle or end of Feb. Please let me know your thoughts.
firingpistonz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 16:19   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingpistonz View Post
Hello fellow Punch owners. We are looking to add a small car to our garage. And we had finalized the Ignis. But we have decided to stretch our budget(significantly) and decided to book a Punch. We decided to wait for December, for any good offers that come along the way. And boy we were surprised. The Tata dealer we knew, has limited stock of 2022 Punches. They were initially very reluctant to even offer a sizeable discount. It was in a few thousands. Finally they've agreed to offer a month old Punch Accomplished Camo for a 13k discount. ( Sales executive claims it is sitting in the yard for a month)Provided I go with the dealer offered insurance. Seems like this is the max they can offer. Is this a good offer considering it is December. Or should I wait for a 2023 model. Cons for a 2023 model are 5% increase in the on-road price, car loan interest rates are likely to be increased. And will only get the car in the middle or end of Feb. Please let me know your thoughts.
Hi ,
There is still strong demand for Punch in the market so don't expect discounts till then.
Pls ensure you do the PDI thoroughly and only then accept it.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 03:54   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
Hi ,
There is still strong demand for Punch in the market so don't expect discounts till then.
Pls ensure you do the PDI thoroughly and only then accept it.
Thank you. We were informed that the camo edition has been blocked by another customer. So we will be waiting for the 2023 model.

Another thing which I wanted to enquire was about the average the car returns. The sales exec promised 13-14 in the city and 17 in the highways. Is this a realistic number?

I've been reading comments and reports of users getting less than 10kmpl in the city? Is this true? We already have a petrol automatic crossover that gives 9.5kmpl in the city. There is no point in buying a smaller car which has similar fuel efficiency. Request existing owners to please help me out here.
Old 26th December 2022, 12:35   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. We were informed that the camo edition has been blocked by another customer. So we will be waiting for the 2023 model.

Another thing which I wanted to enquire was about the average the car returns. The sales exec promised 13-14 in the city and 17 in the highways. Is this a realistic number?

I've been reading comments and reports of users getting less than 10kmpl in the city? Is this true? We already have a petrol automatic crossover that gives 9.5kmpl in the city. There is no point in buying a smaller car which has similar fuel efficiency. Request existing owners to please help me out here.
I bought in Punch Accomplished AMT in Nov 22.The dealer offered a discount of 13K if insurance is taken through dealer. I opted out of insurance by dealer and quote I got was around 13K lower.

I get 14+ on city drives (mixed with drives on clear roads) and on clear roads MID shows 18+. Vehicle has just run 1500 kms and hopefully mileage will improve further

The AMT is quite smooth if you drive with a light foot
raju2512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 12:42   #551
BHPian

Quote:

I have been using my Oct 2022 Punch Creative AMT Kaziranga Edition for office commute (in Bangalore it means just waiting in traffic most of the time and very less driving time) and I have been getting about 9-10. My car has run only about 450 kms. I think the average will improve overtime. I have to go to the airport tomorrow. Lets see how much average I do get tomorrow.
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 19:36   #552
BHPian

Quote:

The average in Punch varies a lot with driving style. I drive it very sedately in both city and highway and get a max of 12 and 21 in city and highway. In manual, you can extract little more. Also I sparingly use AC.
Old 28th December 2022, 23:06   #553
BHPian

Quote:

I had round trip to airport from Banaswadi yesterday. I got overall average of 21 kmpl for the trip. Drove upto legal speed limit of 80kmph on Bellari road. Today I had about 50 kms drive within city in non-office hours. I got average of 12.5 kmpl. I use auto AC 100% of the time, and the car was loaded with 4 adults and a kid for yesterday as well as today.
speed79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 12:13   #554
BHPian

From Chill to Mist

After 12 wonderful years and 1,84,000 km, I parted with my 2010 Ford Figo petrol Zxi- Metallic Chill and replaced it with Punch AMT Accomplished - Tropical Mist

The vehicle was trouble free till about a year back, when multiple issues started showing up, First was AC compressor failure, then change of bearing, gear shift lever cable (it took 15 days to get the correct spare), AC water leakage in cabin and finally oil leakage from engine which resulted in a major engine repair (took 5 weeks to get the car back).

Till then, I had spent pittance on this wonderful car. First tyre change at 65K, next at 135K and then the front tyres at 175K. All the parts are stock and no major overhaul till now.

The well calibrated HPS, excellent ergonomics and driving comfort made it a pleasure to drive in spite of the slightly under powered but eager duratec 1.2l petrol engine.

Best in class AC, wonderful music system, electrically adjustable OVRMs, RVM with antiglare features, theater style dimming cabin lamps were all VFM features which many of the cars of that time didn't have. It is one of the finest hatch backs to have been made and no wonder there are quite a few old generation Figo's still on road

Having decided to replace, the requirements were clear. Budget of 10 lacs max, AT and petrol.

Vehicles considered

Amaze CVT. - The top variant was above my budget and the S variant didn't have touch screen display. Also the poor mileage reported was a deal breaker

Ignis. Somehow the vehicle didn't connect with me. Didn't consider Baleno

Punch: I read about the under powered engine and the head nodding AMT and I was skeptical when I took the TD. The TD changed my opinion and decided on the vehicle without having a look at other options

Buying and dealership experience:

I walked in to Lakshmi TATA showroom in Ekkatuthangal to check out the Altroz. The car looked fabulous but decided against due the following reasons.

1. DCT - Not sure of its reliability after 4-5 years and cost of service and repairs

2. Turbo petrol - Same reasons as above

I was looking at NA petrol when he SA suggested that I have TD in Punch. I booked for TD and the SA brought the vehicle to my house the next day. Took the TD without much to look forward but the TD changed my opinion

1. Excellent feed back from the steering. As good as the Figo
2. Very comfortable driving position and the bonnet line visibility
3. Chiller AC
4. Excellent sound quality of the Harmon music system
5. It was my first time with AMT and I found no jerks or head nods. In Eco mode it felt sluggish but in city mode the pickup was OK.

The choice was between Adventure Rythm pack and Accomplished. Decided to go for Accomplished since it had cruise control, height adjustable driver seat and PEPS for 40K extra

Booking was done in the second week of October and quoted delivery was first week of December. It was fine with me since the monsoon rains would be over by then. But within a week the SA called and said the vehicle as been allotted and I could take delivery by End of October. Took delivery on 3rd November. The experience from booking to delivery was smooth and full marks to the dealer.

I have driven 2200 kms till now and first service has been done. The following are the observations.

1. First service was done at 1600 kms. Opted for 3M under body coating which costed about Rs.1900/- Consumable for first service came to around Rs.400/- The vehicle was picked up for service from my house and I picked it up after service. The service experience good

2. The vehicle feels much peppier now (is it due to the engine settling after run in period or some ECU update, I am not sure). In city mode the engine revs up to 3000rpm before shifting

3. I get around14~15kmpl on mixed runs (city + free runs) and I got 20kmpl during a drive of 380 kms to Thiruvannamalai and back.

4. Gear shift is smooth (I am a light footed driver) but a few mild jerks are noticed sometimes when the vehicle decelerates and shifts from 2 to 1 gear.

5. I noticed this when using cruise control. If you set cruise control at say 90km, slow down and again press the restart, the acceleration is very fast and reaches the set speed very quickly. When I first did this I was startled by the acceleration. This could be used as work around when you had to do tight overtakes. Set the cruise control to higher speed than your normal driving speed. When you need to overtake, press the restart cruise button the steering wheel and zoom ahead. Come back to your driving speed by tapping on the A or B pedal

6. Except for trying it out, I didn't feel the need to use manual mode.

7. Vehicle easily reaches 100kmph and I didn't feel the lack of power. Beyond that I am not sure

If you are planning to buy AMT, do a longish test drive and ensure it suits your driving style.

Enjoying the car and will the thread updated periodically

Old 24th January 2023, 23:42   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post

Apparently, other Tata cars do not have this "single" pull , open flaw. Also, I have been informed that Tata Motors have acknowledged this flaw and are working on providing a "safety update". We shall wait and see. Social media and other review sites are getting flooded with this flaw now and we should hear something from TaMo soon.
This door lock system is bad AF. I was a front passenger in altroz last week, two ~10 year old kids in rear along with a adult and my friend(driver) forgot to engage child lock. Accidently one of the kids opened the door while car was on expressway @90 km/hr . Adult sitting in rear closed the door asap. Thankfully roads were empty and kids were safe. Kid, who opened the door, mentioned he pulled on it once and door was open. My friend is horrified of these door locks ever since.
You mentioned TATA motors has acknowledged the flaw. Did they do this officially? How did you get to know this? Waiting for update.

Last edited by ramotra3 : 24th January 2023 at 23:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks