Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:59   #586
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Took delivery of Creative AMT in Red Dual tone color yesterday. Other car that I use is Vento TDI DSG.

So far I have driven only 80 km. Few initial impressions-

- Delivery experience is super smooth.

- AMT lag though clearly perceptible, is not bothersome. I never thought that I will buy an AMT ever. But my TD experience with regard to AMT was positive, and remains the same in my car too. I had taken a short TD of Maruti Breeza AT. This 6 speed TC seemed to be more confused that the 5 speed AMT of Punch.

- Low speed punch is very good in my Punch. The car is quick enough to 90 kmph, beyond that I have not tried yet in my car. But in TD car, I had found that reaching 100 kmph was kind of easy, beyond which it was a clear struggle.

- Ride is stiffer than Vento, but still quite comfortable.

- AC blower noise beyond fan speed 3 and more is too much. In Auto AC mode, the fan speed is not going to 2 or below ( temp setting ~24 ), requiring manually lowering the fan speed to 2. Hopefully with cooler ambient temperature, it may go to 2 or below.

- Space as experienced from driver's seat is more in Punch than Vento, because of more headroom. It feels like driving a much bigger car than the size it actually is.

- Engine is slightly audible inside the cabin almost at all speeds, but is not at all a concern. It's almost 80% as refined as Maruti/Hyundai 4 cylinder units.

- No vibration felt on steering wheel & gear lever even at idle.

- While going to office in the morning ( mostly open flyover of 12 km), MID FE in Vento is ~ 22kmpl. Today morning I went to office for the first time in Punch, MID FE came to ~ 18 kmpl. After running in, I think it will be close to Vento FE, if not more.

- One major concern- with 4/5 times pumping of break in congested traffic or while parking in tight spot etc., the break becomes hard and non-functional ( almost). I have never experienced this problem in any car when the engine is running. If engine is off, then of course this happens after use of brake for 4/5 times. Is this a problem common to all Punch or it's specific to my car only? Need comments please, so that I can take the car to service station.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 07:52   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Took delivery of Creative AMT in Red Dual tone color yesterday. Other car that I use is Vento TDI DSG.
Congrats on the new car. Yes the brakes will be hard initially and in slow speed situations. Mine became smooth after the 1st year service.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2023 at 08:50. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote only the relevant bits from a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 09:45   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- One major concern- with 4/5 times pumping of break in congested traffic or while parking in tight spot etc., the break becomes hard and non-functional ( almost). I have never experienced this problem in any car when the engine is running. If engine is off, then of course this happens after use of brake for 4/5 times. Is this a problem common to all Punch or it's specific to my car only? Need comments please, so that I can take the car to service station.

Thanks
Used to happen to my Nano (Genx had brake booster) as well, it's not normal please have it checked. What happens is that in dense traffic after a few applications, the pedal becomes unassisted and you could rear end someone else.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 10:40   #589
BHPian

Quote:
- One major concern- with 4/5 times pumping of break in congested traffic or while parking in tight spot etc., the break becomes hard and non-functional ( almost).
Please don't try these tricks, you're driving an AMT, where the brake is also the clutch pedal. Lift your leg and ease the pedal, if you haven't mastered it, use the handbrake for assistance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Used to happen to my Nano (Genx had brake booster) as well, it's not normal please have it checked. What happens is that in dense traffic after a few applications, the pedal becomes unassisted and you could rear end someone else.
Just try the above method, you will not fail.
I've both a Nano XTA and Nexon XMA, have coached my driver's, and they have done well.
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 12:29   #590
BHPian

Quote:
One major concern- with 4/5 times pumping of break in congested traffic or while parking in tight spot etc., the break becomes hard and non-functional ( almost).
Thanks
I assume what you mean is that you lift off the brake and creep forwards for a few meters and then brake again, and do so repeatedly. The brake becoming tight just should not happen in that situation I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Please don't try these tricks, you're driving an AMT, where the brake is also the clutch pedal. Lift your leg and ease the pedal, if you haven't mastered it, use the handbrake for assistance.
If what I said above is true then those are hardly 'tricks', it's just the normal way to drive an AMT or any auto for that matter isn't it? I don't see how the handbrake would help at all in this situation?

Last edited by sravankrishnan : 4th June 2023 at 12:30.
sravankrishnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 14:52   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
Congrats on the new car. Yes the brakes will be hard initially and in slow speed situations. Mine became smooth after the 1st year service.
This problem of breaks going unassisted after 4/5 applications has nothing to do with general service of the car. Did they do anything specific to resolve the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Yes it traffic or while parking the car in tight spot the car may hit objects at front or rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Please don't try these tricks
I am not trying any tricks. This is just normal driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
I assume what you mean is that you lift off the brake and creep forwards for a few meters and then brake again, and do so repeatedly. The brake becoming tight just should not happen in that situation I don't think.
You are right, It is not exactly few meters all the time. Often the speed of traffic flow is slower than the creep speed, thus need to apply breaks continuously in very quick intervals. In my Vento I have not experienced this problem even once.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 15:03   #592
BHPian

Quote:
This problem of breaks going unassisted after 4/5 applications has nothing to do with general service of the car. Did they do anything specific to resolve the problem.
I had read in a watsapp group about most owners highlighting the issue of hard brakes. Hence had not checked with Tamo service. During my first year service, the technician informed that they completely remove the brake fluid and refill it and adjust all the brakes. After the service, the brakes were not hard as before and the issue of brake being unassisted at low speeds also went.
Old 6th June 2023, 08:53   #593
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Congratulations! Nice car - just needs a better AT box ( but then it will cannabilize Nexon sales.)

Is it just me or have you'll noticed that the steering is slightly offcenter (to the left) with respect to the center of the driver's seat?
If possible can you click a pic from the rear seat?

Cheers
kedar_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 10:27   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post

Is it just me or have you'll noticed that the steering is slightly off center (to the left) with respect to the center of the driver's seat?

Cheers
I did not notice this issue. It feels normal to me. I will surely post a picture from rear seat.

Yesterday, I did 2nd tankful ( not autocut) after 200 km of usage in city. The MID was showing 10.2 km/lit where as as per manual calculation it just came to 7.2 km/l ie a whopping 30% error. I do doubt the BPCL pump's fuel quantity. MID error in my present Vento is just 1%, in earlier Verna it was 5%. It can not be 30% in Punch.

You must have calculated the FE MID error in your car. How much it is? Even 10.2 kmpl is too less. After running in, it may improve slightly only. Does post running in, car's FE goes up significantly?

I always believe that we must calculate MID error in terms of %, not by absolute number.

Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 20:27   #595

Getting my Punch Adventure AMT Rhythm Pack Delivered Tommorow

My Search for a car has been for more than a year.
Requirements were basically with a budget of 9lakh.
Cara shortlisted were.

Tata Tiago XZA+
Tata Altroz XMA
Tata Punch Adventure AMT
Maruti Suzuki Baleno AMT

Did not consider Renault Kiger or Magnite ( not a big fan of the design)

After thorough research - Zeroed in on Tiago NRG AMT and was almost going to buy the same but changed my mind to Tata Punch.

During the TD and the overall review what prompted me to get Punch.

Looks Stylish
Good Ground Clearance.
5 star safety - Body build is good.
In Budget - Micro SUV.
Decent AMT gearbox - not a driving enthusiast so should do the Job.
Need for Power - Good Enough...not gonna blast my way past the Bangalore Traffic.

So, approached multiple different dealers at Bangalore and zeroed in on Key Motors..
It's always good to get multiple Quotations - Made sure I get a quote with the bare basics of Exshowroom,Road tax,Fast tag and Registration charges - nothing more..

I was being quoted insurance atleast 12k more than what I got outside...
Finally opted for Royal Sundaram Zero dep Insurance for close to 24k - Good deal.

Choosing a colour was tricky - loved both the Daytona grey and the Tropical most - after a lot of thoughts and reviews went ahead with the grey cos it looks so stylish and beautiful plus small scratches will not show up.

Booked the car and waited for 1 month, after the car allocation went for a PDI and made sure I took time to check all the car components - both exterior and interior, was not very impressed by some panel gaps but overall a strong beast..

Taking my car delivery tommorow , also forgot I will be getting Spoiler,Roof rails and sun visor installed from the showroom.

Will update once I drive the car.. Cheers people
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-img20230531wa0006.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img20230531wa0002.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img20230531wa0004.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img20230531wa0007.jpg  

Westope is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 10:19   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Is it just me or have you'll noticed that the steering is slightly offcenter (to the left) with respect to the center of the driver's seat?

Cheers
Find pictures taken from rear seat from both sides. I have not strictly checked the offcenter issue as yet. Will update if I find some problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-punch1.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-punch2.jpg  

Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 11:54   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Find pictures taken from rear seat from both sides. I have not strictly checked the offcenter issue as yet. Will update if I find some problem.
You can try this : Check if the center of the logo on the hornpad and the center of the seat are in line. (Hold a long ruler or stick to get a rough idea)
Thanks!
Old 9th June 2023, 09:16   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Recently close family got a pucnh AMT and this is the exact issue I faced when driving it. Happens only when in 1st gear and brakes have to be applied on and off repeatedly when creeping and need to slow down frequently in B2B traffic, toll queues etc. Have informed the service person to check this but if its problem with the design then not sure how service centre can solve it. I feel this issue is amplified in AMT since we cant control the clutch and need to rely on brakes to control the speed. If anyone got the issue sorted out with the service centre please update here.

Last edited by praveen_v : 9th June 2023 at 09:27.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 14:04   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes...the steering and pedals are both offcenter w.r.t the seat. We have the same issue in our Punch and escalating about this design issue to Tata Motors hasn't helped. It's a major ergonomic flaw and the same is found in Altroz as well. But, not sure how I missed noticing it during test drive.

Body has to adapt to the weird seating position and it leads to discomfort (at ankles and under thighs) after driving continously in traffic esp. the manual transmission variants.

P.S.: our Punch has done nearly 10k kms primarily used on highways. Will post a review soon

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 9th June 2023 at 14:06.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 14:25   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Recently close family got a pucnh AMT and this is the exact issue I faced when driving it. Happens only when in 1st gear and brakes have to be applied on and off repeatedly when creeping and need to slow down frequently in B2B traffic, toll queues etc. Have informed the service person to check this but if its problem with the design then not sure how service centre can solve it. I feel this issue is amplified in AMT since we cant control the clutch and need to rely on brakes to control the speed. If anyone got the issue sorted out with the service centre please update here.
Quote:

The issue of brake pedal getting hard and brakes not working is documented in some models of Hyundai and Kia cars (Creta/ Seltos) in the past.

Have a look at these two thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ll-owners.html (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ia-seltos.html (Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos)

Also, read the following posts:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ll-owners.html (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ia-seltos.html (Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks