Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2022, 15:42   #511
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Going to book Carens automatic top end variant in a week or so. Getting admin work done with the lease partner.

Torn between choice of engine for Carens. While selecting Sonet an year back for sis in law, the choice was very clear then. 1.5L diesel motor with TC was a better combo in every aspect compared to 1.0L petrol motor with DCT. But 1.4L petrol motor in Carens is in another class. Extremely refined and silent. Just elevates the experience in the car to another level. A small test drive today was enough to tell that this engine can stretch the legs.

I will be having a lengthy test drives on both petrol and diesel variants for Carens. The footfall in showrooms doesn't allow them to give test drives on demand. So I am collaborating with SA to book a slot where I can drive back to back both engines.

But would love to have advise from this extended family of TBHP. The choice of car and variant is final. The choice of engine and seating(6S vs 7S)is pending.

Following is a rough pattern on how car will be used:
1. Annual running of 15k-20k
2. 30:70 pattern for city: highway
3. Out on highway, 50% will be the time when car will have at least 4 adults and 1 kid. Rest it will have 2 adults and 1 kid. Once in a while, the car may get overloaded with extended family for runs less than 50km.

Already have Sonet and Seltos in extended family with diesel engines, I know how this 1.5L behaves. Gets a bit noisy after 50k but is extremely frugal. Infact, I went to book this one. But the smallish test drive of 1.4L DCT pulled my heart strings.

My family garage is all petrol. All Marutis.
My extended family garage is all diesel. Sonet, Seltos, Innova and Polo.

Looking forward to words of wisdom from the forum.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 17:01   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
3. Out on highway, 50% will be the time when car will have at least 4 adults and 1 kid. Rest it will have 2 adults and 1 kid. Once in a while, the car may get overloaded with extended family for runs less than 50km.
Point 1 makes me feel that you need a diesel. Period.
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 18:32   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to words of wisdom from the forum
I took a test drive of diesel automatic yesterday. It was not a fun to drive engine. Previously, I took test drive of diesel manual, that was a bit better than the automatic. I will take a test drive of turbo petrol automatic in the near future. I have already driven NA petrol manual and did not like much.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 19:26   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Going to book Carens automatic top end variant in a week or so. Getting admin work done with the lease partner.
Choice is between what is more important - the fun of driving or mileage.

1.4 petrol is clearly more powerful, silent and smoother; while diesel is definitely far far more frugal. A classic heart vs mind.

Another consideration (it is in my family at least), is a degree of discomfort with diesel leading to aggravated motion sickness (not sure why but it does happen).
swami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 19:49   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have already driven NA petrol manual and did not like much.
You are probably the only one on the the forum to have driven the 1.5NA petrol. Could you please share your experience? Did you feel it underpowered? Was it fully loaded when driven? On flat stretches or inclines or both? Hope you don't mind these queries, as I have booked a 1.5 Prestige variant. Thanks.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 20:37   #516
BHPian

Quote:
The choice of car and variant is final. The choice of engine and seating(6S vs 7S)is pending.

It's a no brainer to be honest. Given your annual running and set of requirements, 6-seater diesel should fit your bill perfectly.

Last edited by Emvi : 1st March 2022 at 20:39.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 20:44   #517
BHPian

Quote:
I was in the same boat as you are!! Choosing Petrol for its refinement and power vs choosing frugal Diesel engine with a TC and less spending on fuel. I chose latter, later.

Had initially booked 1.4 Turbo but later changed my booking to 1.5 Diesel AT. With the kind of running you quoted, I would advise you to go for Diesel. If Petrol bill is not what you are worried for and only looking for out and out performance, simply go for Petrol.

Petrol will return a mileage of 14-15 kmpl on highways. At best 16 kmpl. Also, do factor in DCT gearbox reliability.

Diesel will easily return a mileage of 20+ kmpl on highways with sedate driving. Good luck and do let us know what you book finally.

I test drove Diesel AT today again at Gurgaon and felt even Diesel is adequately powered and pulls really well.

Last edited by NAVREVV : 1st March 2022 at 20:48.
NAVREVV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:40   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
I was in the same boat as you are!! Choosing Petrol for its refinement and power vs choosing frugal Diesel engine with a TC and less spending on fuel. I chose latter, later.

Had initially booked 1.4 Turbo but later changed my booking to 1.5 Diesel AT. With the kind of running you quoted, I would advise you to go for Diesel. If Petrol bill is not what you are worried for and only looking for out and out performance, simply go for Petrol.

Petrol will return a mileage of 14-15 kmpl on highways. At best 16 kmpl. Also, do factor in DCT gearbox reliability.

Diesel will easily return a mileage of 20+ kmpl on highways with sedate driving. Good luck and do let us know what you book finally.

I test drove Diesel AT today again at Gurgaon and felt even Diesel is adequately powered and pulls really well.
You read my situation well. Just a back of the hand calculation shows up fuel cost difference in favor of diesel. Truth be told, more than the mileage, it's DCT gearbox reliability that is pushing me to avoid petrol motor. I haven't come across many cars with high odometer having dual clutch transmissions. I will still give the test drives the final say before committing on engine.

The car I test drove was 7 seater and it was very comfortable. I didn't try the middle seat though. Have you tried 6S vs 7S? What has been your experience with the captain seats?
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 08:08   #519
Senior - BHPian

New 2 TVC's released

1 - Kia Carens | Meet the Mehtas | EP01-Tech A Look

2 - Kia Carens | Meet the Mehtas | EP02 - Make Space for Mom

nairrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:40   #520
BHPian

Quote:
The car I test drove was 7 seater and it was very comfortable. I didn't try the middle seat though. Have you tried 6S vs 7S? What has been your experience with the captain seats?
I drove both 6s and 7s. 6s gives you that executive like feel with little space to stretch your legs if you are sitting in the 3rd row but I found 7s configuration to be more practical especially when you want to sneak in that extra passenger though it may not be a super comfortable seat to be in. Since there’s no price gap, I chose 7 seater. Extra cup holder is handy and can be converted into 7th seat as well though kind of stupid of Kia not to have given a headrest for the 7th seat.

Last edited by NAVREVV : 2nd March 2022 at 09:48.
NAVREVV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:09   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
I drove both 6s and 7s. 6s gives you that executive like feel with little space to stretch your legs if you are sitting in the 3rd row but I found 7s configuration to be more practical especially when you want to sneak in that extra passenger though it may not be a super comfortable seat to be in. Since there’s no price gap, I chose 7 seater. Extra cup holder is handy and can be converted into 7th seat as well though kind of stupid of Kia not to have given a headrest for the 7th seat.
True. To add, there is no difference in the seat comfort between 6s and 7s. Infact I felt the seats are exactly the same with just an add on small seat in between..
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:49   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You read my situation well. Just a back of the hand calculation shows up fuel cost difference in favor of diesel. Truth be told, more than the mileage, it's DCT gearbox reliability that is pushing me to avoid petrol motor. I haven't come across many cars with high odometer having dual clutch transmissions. I will still give the test drives the final say before committing on engine.
DCT might be more fun but it is less reliable. Today itself I read a thread on forum where a Creta owner is having touble with his DCT transmission. Also, considering your running D-AT makes more sense anyday. I will suggest you to TD the D-AT again but this time do it in sports mode. In my experience of my Sonet D-AT, sports mode completely changed the power dynamics of the car. So, i am expecting the same for Caren.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:40   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
DCT might be more fun but it is less reliable. Today itself I read a thread on forum where a Creta owner is having touble with his DCT transmission. Also, considering your running D-AT makes more sense anyday. I will suggest you to TD the D-AT again but this time do it in sports mode. In my experience of my Sonet D-AT, sports mode completely changed the power dynamics of the car. So, i am expecting the same for Caren.
So my fear about DCT is true. I have driven Vento D DSG previously for about 5 years having clocked about 1.13L km’s and sold it off because I didn’t want hassles since the car ran out of warranty.

I can tell from my experience that these dual clutch transmissions are not worry free. I have had fair share of workshop visits during my 5 years of ownership related to DSG issues including getting stranded in heavy traffic because the gearbox malfunctioned and the car had to be towed away to the dealership.

While DCT’s/DSG’s are fun to drive but they can be a pain in the @** especially if you treat it like a normal car. Long term reliability is why I chose to go for a D TC though heart wanted 1.4 Turbo.

Last edited by NAVREVV : 2nd March 2022 at 12:45.
NAVREVV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:28   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
You are probably the only one on the the forum to have driven the 1.5NA petrol. Could you please share your experience? Did you feel it underpowered? Was it fully loaded when driven? On flat stretches or inclines or both? Hope you don't mind these queries, as I have booked a 1.5 Prestige variant. Thanks.
Frankly speaking, I did not like 1.5 NA Petrol engine. Felt like it was under-powered with just 3 adults and 2 kids. Even I faced difficulty in taking a U turn on 2nd gear, had to use 1st gear. It was definitely not a fun to drive car. I would recommend taking a long test drive before finalizing.

Among the variants I have taken test drive, my order of preference would be:

1. Diesel Manual
2. Diesel Automatic
3. 1.5 NA Petrol

Turbo Petrol might be on top spot after I test drive the same.

Considering that my next vehicle will be the last one with fossil fuel, I would be looking for a fun to drive car

Last edited by airbus : 2nd March 2022 at 15:31. Reason: Grammar.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:49   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
DCT might be more fun but it is less reliable. Today itself I read a thread on forum where a Creta owner is having touble with his DCT transmission.
If possible, can you please confirm the manufacturing year of the Creta, from what I have read most of the problems with the DCT are being seen in cars manufactured before December 2020.

I have booked the Luxury Plus DCT and am seriously in two minds over whether to switch to the diesel after hearing stories about issues with the DCT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks