Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2022, 12:56   #646
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post

I don’t know if prestige variant has various drive modes. If yes, he could have tried that to see the real performance in hills.
Drive Modes are only available in AT and Diesel AT is only available in Luxury Plus. With proper revving and gear shifts I don't think diesel will be sluggish in hilly terrain (normal highways /eway ghats), only extreme gradient might be an issue which I doubt hardly normal user will experiment.
Old 16th March 2022, 14:14   #647
nvn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Anyone here got with 1.4L (P) basemodel? HOw is the engine without turbo, Im not able to find any reviews for the non turbo engine.
I think non-turbo petrol option is only in 1.5l and not 1.4L.
I also could not find a detailed 1.5L review but one link shared earlier in thread for this is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
I thought that too. It’s a “Desi” review tbh. Bunny Punia from 91 wheels did a diesel AT review with 6 people and he didn’t complain on anything. Further, if you want a better response on hills from Diesel, you always have sports mode to make the car perform in high RPM’s. Petrol motor in hills will be a fuel guzzler for sure.

I don’t know if prestige variant has various drive modes. If yes, he could have tried that to see the real performance in hills.
Drive modes are available only in AT variants. So 1.5L petrol no drive modes. Diesel only in top end. 1.4L Petrol AT is available in mid variant too.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th March 2022 at 14:32.
Old 16th March 2022, 15:07   #648
BHPian

KIA Cochin confirms that Carens base model's waiting period is now 7 months Looks like everyone's leaning on the 7 seater by seeing the features offered on base models with the price tag of a 5 seater. Had a chance to open the bonnet, it's so heavy and solid, got a feel of old amby by lifting it. Now i understand why they ignored the soundproofing material on the bonnet.
Old 16th March 2022, 15:49   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
KIA Cochin confirms that Carens base model's waiting period is now 7 months Looks like everyone's leaning on the 7 seater by seeing the features offered on base models with the price tag of a 5 seater. Had a chance to open the bonnet, it's so heavy and solid, got a feel of old amby by lifting it. Now i understand why they ignored the soundproofing material on the bonnet.
I haven't tried lifting bonnet of many cars. I did tried for Carens and Nexon on the same day. I felt, Nexon was solid and heavy. But the Carens bonnet was lesser in weight comparatively. Experts here can show some light on how is the Carens bonnet when compared to Maruti/Honda/Hyundai's one?

Note: Booked Carens 1.5NA variant (Just that it came in budget). Worrying about whether engine power will be adequate for my usage (First Car For me so sedate driver I guess. Mostly Highways). Tried reaching out few KIA showroom nearby for 1.5NA test drive. None of them have. Considering Tata Altroz DCA, will decide based on the reviews of that.
Old 16th March 2022, 15:58   #650
BHPian

Is it possible to install rear wiper on lower variants of Carens? It's puzzling that kia is providing all fancy safety features from the base variant, but rear wiper comes only from Prestige plus. How are we supposed to drive in rain?
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 16:27   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Is it possible to install rear wiper on lower variants of Carens? It's puzzling that kia is providing all fancy safety features from the base variant, but rear wiper comes only from Prestige plus. How are we supposed to drive in rain?
This is something that is sorely missed on the Prestige variant. Others feature misses relative to higher variants are mainly nice to have. Rear wiper + defogger should be considered part of basic safety kit. Would be great if the wipers can be installed later.
Old 16th March 2022, 16:52   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
This is something that is sorely missed on the Prestige variant. Others feature misses relative to higher variants are mainly nice to have. Rear wiper + defogger should be considered part of basic safety kit. Would be great if the wipers can be installed later.
It can be done I guess. But not straight forward. For defogger, have to change the rear glass. For wiper, have to change the back door itself as it will have the provision to mount the motor. This is the case with some of the cars. Not sure, if the provision is already there and just need to install the motor.
NivasBaskaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 17:47   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Is it possible to install rear wiper on lower variants of Carens?
It is possible after market. Check out this video where the rear wiper is installed on Creta E (base) variant. But the rear glass had to be replaced.

Knightrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 17:49   #654
nvn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Installing rear wipers after wards is generally very cumbersome as far as I know and it's better to avoid.
nvn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 19:01   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivasBaskaran View Post
It can be done I guess. But not straight forward. For defogger, have to change the rear glass. For wiper, have to change the back door itself as it will have the provision to mount the motor. This is the case with some of the cars. Not sure, if the provision is already there and just need to install the motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
It is possible after market. Check out this video where the rear wiper is installed on Creta E (base) variant. But the rear glass had to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn View Post
Installing rear wipers after wards is generally very cumbersome as far as I know and it's better to avoid.

Ohh...that sounds like a lot of work on a brand new car. Might have to plan long distance drives especially in the monsoons of Kerala...which is as unpredictable as the weather here in the UK
Old 17th March 2022, 13:40   #656
BHPian

Those looking for the weight numbers of Carens, this was posted on FB group:
Kia Carens Review-fb_img_1647504434596.jpg
Old 17th March 2022, 15:21   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Those looking for the weight numbers of Carens, this was posted on FB group:
Attachment 2285562
Based on the value of Gross weight (1970 kg) looks like these details are for Diesel Manual. So kerb weight of Diesel AT can be considered around 1410 kgs.

This makes me wonder if the above values are really true.
My Creta Diesel AT (2018) has Unladen weight of 1423 kg as mentioned in RC.

So either one is possible -
- Either the shared pic is untrue
- Creta Diesel AT weight mentioned in RC is incorrect
- Karens although bigger than Creta is lighter which means there has been some compromises.
Old 17th March 2022, 15:50   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Based on the value of Gross weight (1970 kg) looks like these details are for Diesel Manual. So kerb weight of Diesel AT can be considered around 1410 kgs.
How did you arrive at the kerb weight of Diesel AT (difference of 31 kilos for AT to be precise)?

Of the three options mentioned, I would assume the 3rd option. SVP from carandbike had claimed that Carens is based on K1 platform and not the K2 as in Creta/Seltos. There was also a post a few pages before showing that the body of Carens is similar to Sonet than Seltos. So Carens weighing lower than Creta/Seltos is very much possible.

Last edited by Meph1st0 : 17th March 2022 at 15:57.
Old 17th March 2022, 16:46   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
How did you arrive at the kerb weight of Diesel AT (difference of 31 kilos for AT to be precise)?
Gross weight as declared by Kia is 1970 kg for Diesel Manual and 2000 kg for Diesel AT [Both being 7 seater].

Until an automobile engineer/expert in this forum tells us more details about platform, I think it is all speculations that it is based on Sonet or Seltos.
Old 17th March 2022, 17:55   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Gross weight as declared by Kia is 1970 kg for Diesel Manual and 2000 kg for Diesel AT [Both being 7 seater].

Until an automobile engineer/expert in this forum tells us more details about platform, I think it is all speculations that it is based on Sonet or Seltos.
As per the data in wikipedia, Carens use K2 platform.
Also, wiki says, both Seltos and Sonet is based on K2 platform.

Kia Carens Review-screenshot-20220317-5.51.44-pm.png
Kia Carens Review-screenshot-20220317-5.51.37-pm.png
NivasBaskaran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks