Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 17:44   #886
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Perception of a safer vehicle between XL6 and Carens, at this stage, is merely just that - a perception in my opinion. Everyone can have their own perception of which is strongly built either looking at the flex on panels or kerb weight but these are subjective at the end of the day. Unless both vehicles are subjected to NCAP tests, we cant be sure which is safer. In the absence of safety ratings, one would have to rely on airbags and other add-on safety features.
Case in point is the Safari. Big huge vehicle and all would agree its built like a tank, but serious safety issues being raised by one an all (no offense to any owners), esp in comparison to XUV700.
akannath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 14:53   #887
BHPian

Need your opinions TBHPians on many types of coats etc in the market for new cars. I have opted for Pearl White colour and I dont feel there is a need to do any expensive coats rather than basic Teflon, do you agree? I’ve owned pearl white Jazz for 5 years and all I did was one teflon coat every year and it kept the car just fine. Never faced any major issue with the paint, white colour as is only demands cleaning and very less maintenance. Do you think a major coat treatment like ppf or ceramic is really useful?
Old 9th April 2022, 18:00   #888
BHPian

I have Prestige variant and it doesn't comes with rear defogger and wipers. Is there any alternate solutions available like a film or spray to drain down the waters in heavy rain?

If so, can you please suggest good products out there?
Old 9th April 2022, 18:54   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
Need your opinions TBHPians on many types of coats etc in the market for new cars. I have opted for Pearl White colour and I dont feel there is a need to do any expensive coats rather than basic Teflon, do you agree? I’ve owned pearl white Jazz for 5 years and all I did was one teflon coat every year and it kept the car just fine. Never faced any major issue with the paint, white colour as is only demands cleaning and very less maintenance. Do you think a major coat treatment like ppf or ceramic is really useful?
I have white color Prestige, and got ceramic coating done from a friend's shop. I went as per his recommendation. He said PPF is definitely a No No for white color, as it gets yellow after a while.
---------------------------------

Has anyone installed an overhead carrier? My friend said there is no carrier launched for Carens yet. I have to travel in a week, and would need a carrier.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 9th April 2022 at 18:56.
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 20:19   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I have white color Prestige, and got ceramic coating done from a friend's shop. I went as per his recommendation. He said PPF is definitely a No No for white color, as it gets yellow after a while.
---------------------------------

Has anyone installed an overhead carrier? My friend said there is no carrier launched for Carens yet. I have to travel in a week, and would need a carrier.
Thanks for sharing bud. What was the cost of ceramic coating and how long does it lasts?
Old 10th April 2022, 00:27   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
Thanks for sharing bud. What was the cost of ceramic coating and how long does it lasts?
It cost me around 19k (Kia dealer quoted 30k). He said it lasts for 3 years. I don't know how it deteriorates with time.
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:31   #892
BHPian

Owners of 1.4 P - what is the realtime mileage you guys are getting ? I have seen some videos claiming the warranty to be in 8 to 9 range, and with light foot, max is 11.

Can someone please shed some light on this ?
I will eventually have to decide between three - 1.4P Carens vs 1.5P Seltos vs XL6 2022 Facelift.
Old 11th April 2022, 11:11   #893
BHPian

Having read all the posts and watching almost all the videos on Carens, I felt it did deserve another look and a test drive.
So off I went with family in toe - Parents, wife and two kids to experience the Carens.
This time I drove the Diesel Manual as against the Automatic.
Spacewise, everyone felt comfortable and did not complain about the ride quality as well. Engine response felt better than the automatic.
There was this loose interlocking block (the ones used in parking areas or foot paths) lying around, which I did not notice while reversing the car.
To my surprise, it took me three attempts and a lot of input on the accelerator to make the car pass over it without stalling. Similar situation in an Ecosport - I do not even realize that there is something lying around!

Post the test drive, I sat down for further discussions about waiting period, down payment, loan formalities etc. That is when I learned that Kia has a policy about the insurance. They neither would let me choose my own insurance nor let me choose the add-ons which I want. They also do not entertain request for matching the Insurance with if I got a quote from outside!
All these years I thought Insurance was a subject matter of solicitation!

I found the attitude of Kia staff on this matter very unwelcoming and I just stepped out of the showroom.

No matter how well you put together a product, if you do not care about the preferences of the customer, you wont survive for too long.

Question to the forum members who own the Carens - Were you also forced into buying the insurance which they offer or you could choose your own add-ons and insurance provider?

Hunt for the prefect 7-seater car in diesel avatar still continues! Unfortunately, my parking cannot accommodate the Safari's and XUV's of this world!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:31   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post

Question to the forum members who own the Carens - Were you also forced into buying the insurance which they offer or you could choose your own add-ons and insurance provider?
This is very bad and disturbing behavior. Can you please name the dealer for the benefit of all the forum members?

I have booked Carens from JSP ORR Bangalore. Will be getting the delivery of the same in couple of days. They never pushed me into buying their insurance or any kind of accessories. Actually they undercut the best insurance policy i could come up with and they also said that the accessory kit worth 19k is purely optional and we can decide what we need as part of accessory kit.

You should actually tweet about this incident to Kia. From what i know they keep their dealers in check against these kind of rude behavior.
vivekkp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:51   #895
BHPian

Quote:
This practice is illegal as per IRDAI. Please lodge a complaint with Kia customer care directly and if possible tweet as you get better response on Twitter these days.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:26   #896
BHPian

Quote:
That is when I learned that Kia has a policy about the insurance. They neither would let me choose my own insurance nor let me choose the add-ons which I want. They also do not entertain request for matching the Insurance with if I got a quote from outside!
Just show them this page of IRDAI:
https://www.policyholder.gov.in/Dos_...insurance.aspx

It clearly mentions -
Dos -
When you buy a motor insurance policy you should:
Know that you can buy this policy through anyone and there is no compulsion to buy it through your vehicle dealer
Knightrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:42   #897
BHPian

Quote:
I was. My dealer - Dhone Kia, Manjari, Pune - said you can't choose anything. All items in the price list: accessories, extended warranty and insurance are to be taken as they are. I only had the freedom to select accessories totalling 19k.

I asked them to replace accessories with the maintainance package. The were hesitant but agreed later.

Insurance quote from them wasn't much higher than going direct. So I didn't insist. Another factor was that I was getting 1.5 P Prestige very early, so didn't want to fight.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 11th April 2022 at 13:11.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 14:46   #898
BHPian

Quote:
There is no compulsion on insurance, accessories pack or extended warrany. Basiccaly most of the things are not available in the accessories pack. I didn't take anything except insurance which has almost all ad-ons and just around the same price as outside quotations. The dealer might be playing hard ball. Talk to Kia, they will handle the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Owners of 1.4 P - what is the realtime mileage you guys are getting ? I have seen some videos claiming the warranty to be in 8 to 9 range, and with light foot, max is 11.

Can someone please shed some light on this ?
I will eventually have to decide between three - 1.4P Carens vs 1.5P Seltos vs XL6 2022 Facelift.
For my 1.4 manual, I am getting around 9-11 in traffic conditions and up to 13 on open city roads. Yes of course it can go to 8 even with diesel cars if the traffic is pathetic. My venue 1.0 turbo was also delivering similar mileage may be 1 kmpl more. This is how the turbo petrols work and expecting high FE will be foolish for a people mover. But highway efficiency will be really good.

Coming to Seltos, I believe it will be similar. For XL6/ertiga I know the city mileage is more or less same. But highway FE is comparatively low for ertiga as 100kmph comes at ~2500rpm whereas for 1.4 turbo 100kmph comes around 1850rpm. The extra 6th gear makes all the difference. But if you push too hard then the turbo will show it's behavior.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th April 2022 at 15:42. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Multi-Quote / Edit functionality.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 15:38   #899
BHPian

I was looking for a decent 5 seater upgrade within 12L and once I saw Carens price tag of 8.99L for a 7 seater, got very much excited as I can go for a much bigger car from a segment above. A tried and tested responsive engine with incomparable feature packed unit with a competitive price of 12 lakhs OTR, made it an irresistive package for me. Booked a 1.5NT Prestige last month with a wait period of 4 months. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

TD was on a 1.4 PP, SA says that average mileage will be around 12-15Kpl, Seltos 1.5 owners reports an average of 15 kpl, Considering the fact that Seltos is almost quarter ton lighter, Carens should hopefully return an approximate mileage of 10-12Kpl. Appreciate any 1.5 Petrol owners could enlighten me on it’s average yield.

It seems 1.5 Petrol Premium has got the least booking compared to other variants whose wait period is less than 3 months in Cochin. Here the 1.5 Prestige’s waiting period is almost 1 year.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:10   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
It seems 1.5 Petrol Premium has got the least booking compared to other variants whose wait period is less than 3 months in Cochin. Here the 1.5 Prestige’s waiting period is almost 1 year.
My docket showed 48 weeks from date of booking, thats nearly a year for the 1.5P Prestige variant. My SA said if I converted to Presitge Plus, I could get by August. Not sure if this is true or would it push me to the back of the queue. Have booked an XL6 Alpha Auto as well...will try out both before taking the plunge.

Most Viewed