Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 14:21   #1036
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakJel View Post
Hello, I haven't driven the latest ertiga or xl6 so can't comment, but if one is comparing with creta 1.5 NA it's more or less same if 1-2 people in the car.

Gear shifting is butter smooth and at idle it's almost soundless, feels like an EV , for city as well as highway it's very good though I have noticed a bit of body roll at high speed on highway, the best part about this car is it's neither too big nor too small, so good enough for both commutes. Diesel pulls better, has better FE but though how silent it is, one can feel more vibration, while driving feels like a heavier car compared to the petrol 1.5.

Cheers.........
Thanks SakJel,

I just saw a video on Youtube for Carens 1.5P. It is not a drive review but the narrator is explaining 2 issue that he is facing. One is mild vibration on steering while turning the steering full right or left. Second is high RPM (2200) at the speed oh 80kmph. He said it is too high for 1.5 NA Petrol engine. Seems correct.
Whats your take on these two issues - Steering vibration and high RPM at 80 kmph ?
Regards,
Noopster
Old 15th June 2022, 14:39   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster1008 View Post
Thanks SakJel,

I just saw a video on Youtube for Carens 1.5P. It is not a drive review but the narrator is explaining 2 issue that he is facing. One is mild vibration on steering while turning the steering full right or left. Second is high RPM (2200) at the speed oh 80kmph. He said it is too high for 1.5 NA Petrol engine. Seems correct.
Whats your take on these two issues - Steering vibration and high RPM at 80 kmph ?
Regards,
Noopster
Hello, no there is no vibration while turning in my car, yes rpm hovers at that range at 80 kmph speeds.

Cheers.........
SakJel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 00:06   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Second is high RPM (2200) at the speed oh 80kmph. He said it is too high for 1.5 NA Petrol engine. Seems correct.
That’s the issue with the characteristics of NA engine. It simply can’t produce enough torque to achieve the desired pull. Even though it has a 6 speed gearbox, they are forced to run the engine at such high revs. If you compare with the same engine in creta, it achieves the same around 95-105 kmph. Similar behaviour is seen in xl6/ertiga manuals. Suzuki is clever enough to limit the manual to just 5 gears. Clearly you can see the 6 speed auto in xl6 is a lot more relaxed at highway speeds. The flip side the auto simply cannot make good low end torque where the manual is good at low end.

Why is it important? Yes FE. The carens 1.5 p is less efficient when compared to 1.4 p. To power such a heavy vehicle 1.4 p has a wider power band to play around. 1.5 p will struggle at high speeds both with power and efficiency.

The 1.4 is worth the extra money. It doesn’t stress out either in city or in highway even with full load. Don’t blindly believe YouTube videos, do a back to back test drive of both engines and you will get your answers.
sou_3749 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 16:46   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SakJel,

Regards,
Noopster
I own a 1.5P Carens. I haven't faced any steering vibration issue so far. Have completed 2000kms.

Regarding RPM: Yes, it will be running on higher RPMs. This is the characteristics of this engine. At speed 100, 1.5NA will be running around 2.6k RPM, where as 1.4T petrol or 1.5 Diesel engines will be hovering around 1.8k RPMs.

Those engines will be cruising around 140 to 150 kmph when running at 2.6k RPMs.

But, if you are a sedate driving who will be cruising around 90kmph speed, you can extract around 16 to 17 kmpl milage (as per MID). Which is decent for a car of this size.

Its your preference,
1. If you need peppy performance (sudden acceleration), go with 1.4 Petrol Turbo.
2. If you need more torque and decent performance, go with 1.5 Diesel. Milage is also a good point here. You will get awesome milage here.
3. If you need adequate power and performance, go with 1.5 Petrol. Advantage here is the lower price and lesser maintenance in the long run as it is less complex in nature. Milage is not so good and not so bad. If you understand the pulse of the engine, you can extract good milage.

I have extracted 18.7kmpl milage (as per MID) for a stretch of 430 KMs.
NivasBaskaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 17:21   #1040
BHPian

Thanks mate,

Does 1.5P feel stressed at 100-120 kmph with these higher rpms ??

I have driven xl6 a lot and I find it reasonably good. At highways also, I find it good enough.

Actually, I am not so sure about 1.4P's engine specially when we are getting news about fuel pump getting clogged.

Is Creta 1.5P different in driving performance?

Last edited by noopster1008 : 16th June 2022 at 17:25. Reason: Added comment about 1.4P
Old 16th June 2022, 18:26   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivasBaskaran View Post
I own a 1.5P Carens. I haven't faced any steering vibration issue so far. Have completed 2000kms.

Regarding RPM: Yes, it will be running on higher RPMs. This is the characteristics of this engine. At speed 100, 1.5NA will be running around 2.6k RPM, where as 1.4T petrol or 1.5 Diesel engines will be hovering around 1.8k RPMs.

Those engines will be cruising around 140 to 150 kmph when running at 2.6k RPMs.

But, if you are a sedate driving who will be cruising around 90kmph speed, you can extract around 16 to 17 kmpl milage (as per MID). Which is decent for a car of this size.

Its your preference,
1. If you need peppy performance (sudden acceleration), go with 1.4 Petrol Turbo.
2. If you need more torque and decent performance, go with 1.5 Diesel. Milage is also a good point here. You will get awesome milage here.
3. If you need adequate power and performance, go with 1.5 Petrol. Advantage here is the lower price and lesser maintenance in the long run as it is less complex in nature. Milage is not so good and not so bad. If you understand the pulse of the engine, you can extract good milage.

I have extracted 18.7kmpl milage (as per MID) for a stretch of 430 KMs.
Hello, I would like to differ here, 1.4 turbo is neither peppy nor sudden acceleration is there in lower rpms and in 1st and 2nd gear, it takes time for the turbo to kick in and till then the car feels very very sluggish and frustrating to drive. Speaking with experience as my cousin owns one and I have driven his car quite extensively.

So basically 1.4 is good for highways and very peppy and confident while overtaking on higher rpms and not that great for city, but if one's highway drives are more that means his/her running is also high, so better opt for diesel for better FE and more torque etc and if that fear of 10 years scrap rule is not in your state

Cheers..........
Old 16th June 2022, 19:20   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate,

Does 1.5P feel stressed at 100-120 kmph with these higher rpms ??

I have driven xl6 a lot and I find it reasonably good. At highways also, I find it good enough.

Actually, I am not so sure about 1.4P's engine specially when we are getting news about fuel pump getting clogged.

Is Creta 1.5P different in driving performance?
It will be running around 3k RPM at 120 kmph. But I don't think 3k RPM is the max range. Will try the max RPM in the first/second gears later and let you know.
But definitely it will be stressed on higher speeds like 150 and all.

For my usage and driving style, I usually drive between 90 to 100 range and I don't have any complaints in that range.

Creta, Seltos both hosts same engine. If that engine is fine for you, even in Carens with less loads (3 to 4 pax), will get same feel I what my opinion.
NivasBaskaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 19:33   #1043
BHPian

Surely, 150 kmph is not for a vehicle like Carens. As a matter of fact, we should not go beyond 120kmph on any of the highways in India.

But while driving on 6/8 lane expressway like Agra - Lucknow and on those coming up in very near future (Delhi Mumbai, Delhi Katra etc), 120kmph is the design speed. Hence I asked specifically for 120.

If you are able to drive at 110-120 for a longer duration, let us all know about the cruise-ability of this 1.5P engine. NVH at higher speed is also another concern.

Thanks in advance.

Noopster
noopster1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 22:37   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I would like to differ here, 1.4 turbo is neither peppy nor sudden acceleration is there in lower rpms and in 1st and 2nd gear, it takes time for the turbo to kick in and till then the car feels very very sluggish and frustrating to drive. Speaking with experience as my cousin owns one and I have driven his car quite extensively.
I own a 1.4 P manual for last 3 months and close to 5000 kms. I have driven it predominantly in Bangalore traffic and quite some long hauls. I can confidently say that it's far from sluggish. Out of the all 3 engines this is the most lively even in low rpms. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion.
Other owners can also provide their point of view.

Quote:
If you are able to drive at 110-120 for a longer duration, let us all know about the cruise-ability of this 1.5P engine. NVH at higher speed is also another concern.
If you are a sedate driver, you can blindly go for this engine. This engine is so smooth that even the high revs will feel like music. From my experience in Creta you can do 110-120 all day long but tuning is different there. Here the story is different. Any engine if driven above 2000-2500 rpm for longer duration doesn't feel at home. It's a typical commuter combination as you have to plan overtaking, zipping around in traffic and running with full load.
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 22:47   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
I own a 1.4 P manual for last 3 months and close to 5000 kms. I have driven it predominantly in Bangalore traffic and quite some long hauls. I can confidently say that it's far from sluggish. Out of the all 3 engines this is the most lively even in low rpms. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion.
Other owners can also provide their point of view.

If you are a sedate driver, you can blindly go for this engine. This engine is so smooth that even the high revs will feel like music. From my experience in Creta you can do 110-120 all day long but tuning is different there. Here the story is different. Any engine if driven above 2000-2500 rpm for longer duration doesn't feel at home. It's a typical commuter combination as you have to plan overtaking, zipping around in traffic and running with full load.
Hello, I felt it hence quoted, to each his own, I felt there is a turbo lag below 1300 rpm in 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 16th June 2022, 22:52   #1046
BHPian

Quote:

So basically 1.4 is good for highways and very peppy and confident while overtaking on higher rpms and not that great for city, but if one's highway drives are more that means his/her running is also high, so better opt for diesel for better FE and more torque etc and if that fear of 10 years scrap rule is not in your state

Cheers..........
That is known for any given Turbo engines. You will feel the power once the Turbo kicks in. I guess, for Carens Turbo kicks in at 1800 rpm. Any turbo petrol owners can confirm that. Till that it will act like a naturally aspirated engine only. At lower RPMs 1.5 NA engine is better than 1.4 Turbo engine. But once the turbo kicks in, it cannot be compared.

For reference, attaching engines spec here.

Enginer, Power, Torque
1.5NA Petrol, 113.42bhp@6300rpm, 144nm@4500rpm
1.4Turbo Petrol, 138.05bhp@6000rpm, 242nm@1500-3200rpm
1.5Turbo Diesel, 113.42bhp@4000rpm, 250nm@1500-2750rpm

If you check the spec, for the 1.5NA petrol max power will be extracted at 6300rpm and max torque at 4500rpm. No one will ever drive in these RPM ranges on normal condition. Hilly rides are exception as we will drive at higher RPM at lower gears to make the engine sweat out the power (Even then I doubt we will ever reach 6300 rpm). So, we won't enjoy the full power or torque practically.

Wherein, if you refer 1.4 turbo petrol and 1.5 Diesel engines, you will get flat 242nm, 250nm torque respectively at 1500 RPM itself, that will give you enough pulling power for the vehicle. So, even at full load, these engines won't feel dull as we have enough torque at lower RPMs. 1500 RPM is in the drivable range only unlike 6300/4500 in 1.5NA petrol.

Here, in turbo petrol, we might not get full power at anytime practically, but we will get the luxury of torque to the fullest.

In Diesel engine, we might enjoy full power and torque if we flat down the accelerator.
NivasBaskaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 14:33   #1047

Hello folks,

Finally, my KIA CArens DCT 1.4 Luxury Plus is coming home coming Sunday. I am super excited

Want to know one thing. My SA is pressurizing me to go for Teflon coating and anti-rust coating, but I found on other thread on team-bhp that it is not much use and a waste of money. He is quoting 7900/- for both from 3M.

I believe, underbody anti-rust coating should be there from manufacturer itself, so not required at all. Teflon coating, since I am living in NCR, should definitely be of no use.

Please provide your opinions.

Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 15:04   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jain1982 View Post
Hello folks,

Finally, my KIA CArens DCT 1.4 Luxury Plus is coming home coming Sunday. I am super excited

Want to know one thing. My SA is pressurizing me to go for Teflon coating and anti-rust coating, but I found on other thread on team-bhp that it is not much use and a waste of money. He is quoting 7900/- for both from 3M.

I believe, underbody anti-rust coating should be there from manufacturer itself, so not required at all. Teflon coating, since I am living in NCR, should definitely be of no use.

Thanks
Underbody coating is missing at some places. Especially near wheel arches. If you live in a place where it will be wet very frequently, I would suggest for the under body coating.
Old 17th June 2022, 15:59   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivasBaskaran View Post
Underbody coating is missing at some places. Especially near wheel arches. If you live in a place where it will be wet very frequently, I would suggest for the under body coating.
I live in NCR. Except monsoon season, no chances of getting wet.
Old 17th June 2022, 17:14   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jain1982 View Post
Hello folks,

Thanks
Teflon coating is not required.
Surprisingly underbody coating is missing at most places or very thin wherever present. I would suggest you to go for it. I could feel considerable improvement in noise level after the treatment.

If you are going to do it at 3M, they are going to charge you very high.
Somehow KIA service center guys are doing it well below 3000 rupees.
Even better if you are going with convinience package, this comes for free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks