Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2022, 13:46   #916
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
I was doing some cabling on my Alcazar for the front and rear dashcam and I realized I need to handle this differently as compared to the older cars due to the curtain airbags and this got me thinking about the "practical" features of Carens.

Specifically the passenger side cooled can holder and the air purifier vent.

Won't these 2 obstruct the opening of the SRS airbags, and / or won't this cause the accessories / can to become projectiles during the explosive opening of the bag?

The Alcazar manual specifically cautions against keeping anything in the area in front of the passenger.
I believe the dashboard panel will be designed to open either upward or downward for airbag to burst open. Any one side joint will be designed weaker than other. If it's not the dashboard panel itself will be a projectile. So think this should not be an issue.
Old 16th April 2022, 13:59   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
I believe the dashboard panel will be designed to open either upward or downward for airbag to burst open. Any one side joint will be designed weaker than other. If it's not the dashboard panel itself will be a projectile. So think this should not be an issue.
Agree!

Looking at the below pic from the review on this very thread, it looks like the SRS logo is on top of the panel. However for the panel to collapse, it has to collapse downward then, and the can could obstruct it, else it does look like the bag will cause the can to become a projectile.

Kia Carens Review-2022kiacarens27.jpg

Let's think of this the other way. Are there any other cars that have a pop-out cup holder for passengers these days? I searched over a half-dozen reviews on TBHP and it isn't called out in any other car.
Old 16th April 2022, 14:08   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let's think of this the other way. Are there any other cars that have a pop-out cup holder for passengers these days?
Previous gen WagonR, Swift, Dzire, Ertiga are some cars l know which sport such pop out cup holders. There could be more such examples.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 14:22   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Before I find some time, and prepare an ownership thread, got my Carens delivered.

1.4 Petrol Turbo, Prestige Plus

Booking done one 25th March, car manufacturing date 28th March, delivery on 12th April.

Attachment 2295806
Congratulations buddy for your new car. You are one of the few lucky guys in this forum to get the Carens in minimum waiting time. Expecting your inintial ownership review soon. Happy driving
Old 16th April 2022, 22:05   #920
BHPian

A small update to those planning to buy, and wanted to check realtime mileage.

Mileage wise, drove it for 437kms, and filled it again, resulting in 19.34 km/ltr. ( MID readings are very misleading ) - this is the first refill of fuel.

No sudden acceleration, speed limit to a max of 90/100.
This was 25% hilly drives with good inclines + 25% with city traffic and rest 50% on highways with as much as cruise possible. (Overall 50% AC )

If this continues to give in this range, I'll be satisfied. 12 to 15 in City and 16 to 19 in Highway is all I need ( with respect to my old habit of getting 24/25 in Ciaz diesel )

Last edited by ptaneja : 16th April 2022 at 22:13.
ptaneja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 09:41   #921
BHPian

Got my Luxury Plus Diesel AT yesterday. We had booked blue colour but since a white was available we took it. Will post a review after a few days of driving. I am coming from Honda Jazz Diesel and Petrol CVT to this, so I am finding the gearbox a little different, of course, than the CVT.

Oodles of space in the car. AC is a chiller. Pickup is not bad. Diesel surely is a little stiffer than Carens petrol auto I test drove. A little adjustment on tyre pressure makes it better. Will post more details later.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd April 2022 at 05:22. Reason: Edited for better readability
guru_to_be is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th April 2022, 11:46   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Previous gen WagonR, Swift, Dzire, Ertiga are some cars l know which sport such pop out cup holders. There could be more such examples.
Sorry, I mean to be more specific when I said examples "These Days". Yeah, the old gen cars had those features, and the old gen cars also didn't come with dual airbags as standard (at least not across all variants).

However none of the cars that are rated 4-star / 5-star in GNCAP and none of the big names like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo with 6+ airbags have a pop-out cup holder AFAIK.

Anyway, didn't mean to go OT on this thread.
Old 17th April 2022, 11:51   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Let's think of this the other way. Are there any other cars that have a pop-out cup holder for passengers these days? I searched over a half-dozen reviews on TBHP and it isn't called out in any other car.
Not sure about the recent cars, but the 2nd gen Swift ZXi / ZDi used to get one. However, there was a pretty good clearance from the location of airbag. If you see it at an angle in bright sunlight one can figure out the ‘cutout’ line from where the airbag pops.
Old 18th April 2022, 22:21   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2297077

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Current gen Fortuner is another car (and previous gen Fortuner) that gets pop-out cupholders for the passenger as well the driver.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:51   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
For those interested in FE of Diesel manual, I’ve got 19.5 Kmpl so far. This was tracked via fuelio via tank full to tank full method. I’ve covered 700 km so far which included a mix of extremely dense traffic (~70 km), moderate city traffic (~100 km), moderate to open highways (~500 km). This was with 4 adults and light luggage driven between 80-100 kmph. On highway trips, expect a FE in excess of 20 kmpl.
My impressions after 2000 Km and 1 month of driving:

- Overall FE stands at 19.1 Kmpl tracked using fuelio.
- As a family tourer, the Carens fits perfectly. My elderly parents who were never keen on taking road trips are now looking forward for the next one. Family is extremely happy with the vehicle. I always thought that they were not interested in road trips. I now understood that the choice of vehicle makes a lot of difference.
- The engine and gear box keeps getting better. The sluggishness in low gears has gone down considerably. On the contrary, I must’ve gotten used to the vehicle.
- AC works well. I’ve set the temperature to 24 in auto mode and never changed a setting ever since.
- Windows still rattle on rough patches and broken roads. This is not annoyingly loud, but you can hear the rattle nevertheless.
- Stock MRF tyres are good. Road noise is not that intrusive.
- I am yet to find a perfect equaliser setting for the stock HU/speaker combination. The music though clear lacks loudness.
- The range of the front parking sensors seems low. Sometimes while backing up I wonder if they are even working. I have a pillar opposite to my parking and the car never makes a squeak until I get really close to it.
- Fuel gauge is typical Hyundai/Kia. The fuel gauge stays full until the first 250 odd kilometers and then begins it’s rapid descent. I think we had a thread on the same topic recently. My old Grand i10 had the same issue.
- Definitely not a driver’s vehicle. You can spend quality time with your family on road trips though. The vehicle happily munches miles in the background without breaking a sweat.
- Cruise control works well. The controls are easy to use and you don’t have to take your eyes off the road for activating/deactivating it. The pause button is within the reach of a thumb.
- Headlights. I feel my oldGi10 had better lighting. Sigh!
- Noticed a glitch in wireless CarPlay. Sometimes, the song stops playing for no reason. Clicking on the play button plays the song for a song and pauses again. The only workaround for now is to restart my phone. I am yet to test this behaviour via wired CarPlay.

Edit: missed to add the below points
- I felt front seat lack proper lumbar support. I got a backache on the first long trip. After fiddling around and adjusting the seat to my proper driving position, this seems to be sorted now. Since I will be the only driver for this vehicle, I don’t think this will be an issue for me.
- SVC denied to change oil when I went in for the first service. I told them that I would pay for the oil and labour, they still denied. They told me that since this is not a recommendation from the manufacturer, they cannot go ahead with the oil change. I tried talking some sense, which did not work. Otherwise, service was a normal affair.

Last edited by furyrider : 19th April 2022 at 13:16. Reason: Added last 2 points
furyrider is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 15:27   #926
BHPian

First real high-speed crash incident on Youtube for the Carens. Seems the car crashed into a divider at 100-120 kmph as per the person reporting

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd April 2022 at 05:18.
Old 19th April 2022, 23:33   #927

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
First real high-speed crash incident on Youtube for the Carens. Seems the car crashed into a divider at 100-120 kmph, per the person reporting

https://Youtu.be/kWgbbP1XtBk
This is bad. The dashboard completely caved in. Now i am really concerned what the safety rating will be.
CruiserX009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 09:10   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserX009 View Post
This is bad. The dashboard completely caved in. Now i am really concerned what the safety rating will be.
I am no expert on this, but from what I’ve understood from the video, the vehicle reportedly hit a solid concrete culvert at speeds in excess of 100 Kmph. Assuming this is true, I think the vehicle did fairly well since the entire force of the impact was borne by the vehicle with no cushioning provided by the culvert. I believe even the safest vehicles would fare equally bad under such conditions.

Having said that, until the vehicle is crash tested, I would refrain from commenting on the safety rating for now. However, I do not expect a rating above 3 though since the Creta and Seltos fared equally poor in crash tests.
furyrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 10:33   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
I am no expert on this, but from what I’ve understood from the video, the vehicle reportedly hit a solid concrete culvert at speeds in excess of 100 Kmph. Assuming this is true, I think the vehicle did fairly well since the entire force of the impact was borne by the vehicle with no cushioning provided by the culvert. I believe even the safest vehicles would fare equally bad under such conditions.

Having said that, until the vehicle is crash tested, I would refrain from commenting on the safety rating for now. However, I do not expect a rating above 3 though since the Creta and Seltos fared equally poor in crash tests.
I agree - given the nature of impact with a concrete culvert - most vehicles would've suffered quite badly too.

In my layman opinion, the thickness of sheet metal and the safety design of the frontal crash/ crumple zone - would be what differentiates one vehicle from another - in such an accident. Experts may please provide a more informed opinion.

Carens seems similar to Creta/ Seltos in terms of build.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 19:35   #930
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
First real high-speed crash incident on Youtube for the Carens. Seems the car crashed into a divider at 100-120 kmph, per the person reporting

https://Youtu.be/kWgbbP1XtBk
Don't believe a word these guys utter, when they say "witnesses say it was atleast 100-120 kph". That looks more like a <= 80kph crash, rather than one at triple digits.. definitely there will be some panic braking if the driver was not sleeping.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks