Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 06:15   #1186
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavguha View Post
I said i will take it subject to PDI, he agreed and said that the car will arrive in 3-4 days.
I too got a call from the dealer regarding allocation of my booked Carens. In PDI, I expect to see the infamous condensation issue. But it is not a deal breaker for me. Hopeful of getting delivery in next 8-10 days.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:21   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad View Post
Well I got my Kia carens delivery on 26th. Here are my few observations.

Mileage is real good, went for a short trip this Sunday about 150 Kms & mileage on highway was 20 & 14 in city traffic. (as per the odometer)

Diesel engine is quite good, no cabin noise, good throttle response in sports mode.

Anyone sitting in 3rd row really appreciates the space available.
Yes I have the door lock problem as well more so in one the doors.

Sound quality really improves when connected to the wired android auto as compared to bluetooth streaming.

Now coming to the wireless android auto part. I managed to get into the engineering mode and observed that there is really no wifi module present and hence any hope of a work around to be able to enable wireless android auto seems dead.
Here is the screen shot, guess will have to buy an external adapter to enable this functionality.
What password did you use for engineering mode? and which engineering mode did you access? there are several of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRSiva27 View Post
Was looking into a random YouTube Video review of Carens (Yes! One of those million videos out there ) and the reasoning mentioned for Luxury/Luxury Plus missing out on the Wireless Android Auto/Wireless Apple CarPlay capabilities is due to the fact that it comes with an inbuild SIM that "takes care" of the wireless capability.

Since the Prestige/Prestige Plus variants does not have a SIM, they get the wireless features that the more expensive variant has.

I've booked my Carens Prestige Plus 1.4L DCT (Aurora Black Pearl) last month (28-July-2022, to be precise), and I am expecting to take delivery of the vehicle starting next week. Will put down a detailed post on the purchase decision, the booking and delivery experience pretty soon on this forum. Excited for this one!
Even I have Diesel Auto Lux Plus. It doesn't have wireless. However, there are major connectivity issues in wireless android auto. Wire is anytime better in terms of stability of connection.

Moreover, even in wired connection, the audio sounds horrible! it just lowers the volume so much and one just can not enjoy music at a lower volume. You have to really keep the volume 50+ to make it decently audible.

It is a known issue especially with Amazon Music, but there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix. Tried few settings though, it made it tad bit better.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th September 2022 at 01:57. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Old 31st August 2022, 21:57   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I too got a call from the dealer regarding allocation of my booked Carens. In PDI, I expect to see the infamous condensation issue. But it is not a deal breaker for me. Hopeful of getting delivery in next 8-10 days.
I got a partial VIN from my SA today, hopefully will be able to do the PDI on Friday. I wanted to do the PDI today but the SA requested me to go tomorrow or Friday because there was a huge rush of deliveries due to Ganesh Chaturthi.
Old 1st September 2022, 10:41   #1189
BHPian

Guys,

Booked Carens on 8th Aug and got it delivered on 31st Aug – Lux Plus D MT.

I went out to Amazon only for the 7D matt as Kia quoted (Including the boot mat) Rs 10,711 while it was available for Rs 5300 on Amazon. Chrome accessories, especially the rain guard, were also cheaper. Still, I didn't want to take risks with chrome as I had a bad experience in my Creta with discolouration.

Why I chose the Carens?

#1 I didn't. My wife did. I didn't like the way it looked; not sure I still do.

#2 We went to buy Sonet; I chose it as I felt it was value for money. She flipped the decision because a smart sales guy (whose 1st kid was delivered by my wife) showed her Carens, and she fell for it.

#3 Why she liked it because of the SPACE and comfort. I am 6ft, and my kids, ten and sixteen years old, might beat my height.
a) 3rd-row access – Wide rear door allows you to ease in rather than crawl in
b) 3rd-row leg space
c) 16" wheels and large wheelbase provided better comfort
d) Ventilated seats for Kerala humid summers
e) Kia connect – Geo-fencing, Location tracing – It's a chauffeur-driven vehicle, and after she gets dropped is used for various needs of the kids
f) Amazing AC, charging points, wide vision

#4 Tried my best to convince her otherwise – took her to see
a) Safari – Rejected due to 3rd-row space. I was also not convinced seeing issues in Team BHP and lack of frills. Having said that, I would have taken it if I was using it – the test drive was done in an AT in sports mode; it just took off. I would have bought it the same way I bought Scorpio in 2010; I just fell in love
b) Alcazar – It was a beauty; they showed a dark blue colour. Again 3rd, row space was an issue. The frills were amazing, and surprisingly the vehicle seemed to have better torque than the Carens. Not sure how as both have the same power train
c) XUV 7OO: I did not bother as I've had enough of Mahindra. Beautiful mechanicals, but managing niggles would be a challenge
d) Innova: Of course the best, she also liked it – but it was way too expensive compared to the Carens

#5 There were other vehicles like Creta, Seltos, Grand Vitara, Hyryder, and Nexon – but these were compared against Sonet, and Sonet came out as a winner

#6 What we went for MT instead of AT – It was Chauffeur driven 90% of the time and did not make sense to invest CAPEX (+Rs 100K) and mileage (- 2KM per litre)

#7 Why we went for 7S: The middle row hand rest can be collapsed, effectively converting the middle row to a 2-seater. It's not anyways for a comfortable 3-seater, but it could be used in case kids would like to lay down – one in 2nd and another one in 3rd

#8 What I still don't like
a) Lack of punch – I am a spirited driver. But then this vehicle is used by the family in Kochi. I am only in Kochi on weekends, and I rarely drive. The only time I drive is when we go out for road trips which happens 3~4 times a year. The rest of my ride is in my trusted 1.6D Creta 2019 in Mumbai – Pune – Silvassa sector.
b) Sunroof – even my wife would have preferred to have a panoramic roof, but then she compromised for other better features
c) Looks – I hope I will learn to like it as I get used to it. I hated the new Creta, but now I am over it. It isn't that bad, but I prefer the previous version.
Few snaps of delivery day and the cash out:
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-photo20220831192801.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-photo20220831134132.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by navin : 1st September 2022 at 16:24. Reason: Punctuation, Spelling and Grammatical errors
SU-30MKI is offline   (26) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:03   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-30MKI View Post
Guys,

Booked Carens on 8th Aug and got it delivered on 31st Aug – Lux Plus D MT.

:
Did you get both the smart keys or 1 smart key and and a physical key?
Old 4th September 2022, 19:39   #1191
BHPian

Just got one key. The second set would be provided in 6 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-img4556.jpg  

SU-30MKI is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:08   #1192

Kia Carens : Ownership Review (Prestige Plus Turbo Petrol Manual)

Introduction:

I was on the lookout for a 7-seater with a budget of ₹12 lakhs

Requirements :
  1. Petrol engine - intend to keep the vehicle for long-term, keeping in mind the uncertainty on future of diesel engines
  2. Spacious and comfortable seats - have multiple members in our family
  3. Manual Transmission preferred

Options available : Hyundai Alcazar & XUV700 were out of budget
1. Maruti Ertiga/XL6 - I learnt driving a car on my Uncle's Ertiga, so very familiar with vehicle performance/features. XL6 has only captain seats and not a 7-seater.
Hence didn't testdrive both the vehicles.
2. Kia Carens - Premium interiors, decent exterior looks, plethora of features, good vehicle driveability/engine performance.

Immediately booked Kia Carens Prestige 1.5 Naturally Aspirated(NA) Engine(Ex-showroom price - ₹9,99,900) on 18th March, 2022 (no testdrive vehicle for NA engine was available throughout Bangalore). Waiting period was ~48 weeks

Kia Carens Review-waiting-period-kia-carens.jpeg

16 weeks passed and I needed a vehicle sooner, wasn't willing to wait further. Hence, upgraded my booking to Prestige Plus 1.4 Turbo Petrol(Ex-showroom price - ₹13,89,900) on July 14th, 2022 and extended my budget by ₹1.9 lakhs. My SA promised to deliver vehicle within 8 weeks.
Didn't choose DCT variant due to reliability issues & Carens doesn't have CVT or iMT transmission option.
A week later after repeated calls to SA, I got my vehicle alloted - Prestige Plus 1.4 Turbo Petrol Manual in Prestige Blue

Additional features in Prestige Plus when compared with Prestige Variant :
  • Powerful turbo engine (138bhp/242Nm vs 113bhp/144Nm torque)
  • 16 inch alloy wheels vs 15 inch steel wheels
  • Keyless entry with Push-button start
  • Auto AC
  • Cruise Control
  • Electrically foldable ORVMs
  • Rear defogger with rear wiper and washer
  • 1st & 2nd row cooled cup-holders
  • Window curtains for 2nd row seats

Buying experience:
I purchased car through LeasePlan, informed my SA that payment will only be released after I do a PDI. Vehicle was bought to Kia Singasandra showroom, ODO showed 17km. Checked the car thoroughly for any scratches/dents/re-painting.

PDI pics:
Kia Carens Review-img_0573.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0575.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0576.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0578.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0579.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0581.jpg

Initiated paper formalities, took ~15 days to complete the documentation process along with car registration (multiple documents between LeasePlan, my employer and Dealer).
Blue Baby was delivered on 10th August, 2022

Car Delivery Pics:

Kia Carens Review-img_0599-1.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0600.jpg

Name:  car_gif.gif
Views: 2311
Size:  3.74 MB

Price details:
a. Base Price ₹9,58,551.72
b. CGST @ 14% ₹1,34,197.24
c. SGST @ 14% ₹1,34,197.24
d. Cess @ 17% ₹1,62,953.79
1. Ex-Showroow Price ₹13,89,900
2. TCS @ 1% ₹13,899
3. Road Tax/RTO ₹2,62,274
4. Registration Fee ₹2662
5. Accessories ₹19,047
6. Extended Warranty ₹23,877
7. Fasttag ₹500
TOTAL ₹17,12,159 (Phew!! taxes add upto ₹7,07,521.27)

Opted for extended warranty in 4th & 5th year, for stress-free ownership experience.
Completed the traditional pooja ceremony for the car and immediately started on ~250km short trip

Pooja Pics:
Kia Carens Review-img_0665-1-1-1.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0684.jpg

Pros :
  1. Decent reverse camera with dynamic guidelines
  2. Safety features - ESP, Traction Control, ABS with EBD, all wheel disc brakes, TPMS, 6 airbags
  3. Front parking sensors
  4. Rear camera can be used even when reverse gear is not engaged, this is helpful during driving for monitoring vehicles from rear
  5. Comfortable and spacious seats with AC vents & Type-C charging ports even in 3rd row. Best in segment 3rd row space
  6. Wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay (variants above Prestige Plus don't have Wirelss AA or Carplay)
  7. Good mileage and supremely refined engine
  8. No need for frequent tyre air-checks, TPMS works great

Cons :
  1. Frequent gear change from 2nd to 1st. If speed drops below 10kmph & even though car is in motion 1st gear needs to be engaged for pick-up. This wasn't the case on Ertiga and other vehicles I had driven earlier.
    Is it a characteristic of turbo engine?
  2. Poor headlight throw
  3. Clutch travel is deep when compared to Ertiga
  4. Annoying clack sound when horn is pressed(no issue with horn sound though)
  5. Speaker volume very low for 2nd/3rd row passengers
  6. Disappointing 3-star crash test rating

All members in family were satisfied with car performance & comfort during the 1st short trip!

Kia Carens Review-img_0672.jpg

Kia Carens Review-img_0718_2.jpg
vishk12 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:30   #1193

No idea if this is a recent trend (lack of FOBs), but I received both the FOBs for Carens LP D Manual at the time of delivery, in April mid.
fatman2022 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 15:00   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_khurana View Post
Okay Thanks ! I will definitely try this . Someone on My FB post has also recommended this same thing.
Hi Anurag,

Did you try this ? Any improvement in the ride quality for the Second or Third row ?
Old 5th September 2022, 15:17   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster1008 View Post

If you are able to drive at 110-120 for a longer duration, let us all know about the cruise-ability of this 1.5P engine. NVH at higher speed is also another concern because of higher RPMs at 120 speed. I think RPM would be at 3000.

Thanks in advance.

Noopster

Bumping my own question. Has anyone done this ?
Old 6th September 2022, 20:22   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-30MKI View Post
Just got one key. The second set would be provided in 6 months.
Thank you for the update.

When i went for the PDI, the car had only one Key FOB and another mechanical key.

Unfortunately due to certain constraints i will not be able to get the car without 2 key FOBs.

Explained my problem to my SA and also discussed it with his senior as well as the sales head of the dealership.

Today they confirmed that the second FOB cannot be arranged as of now and if i want to take the delivery i will have to do with one.

I asked them to pass on this to the next customer in line(assuming there are many considering the waiting). And allocate a car to me when they start arriving with both key FOBs.

I have decided to keep my booking with them as they have been very helpful and courteous.

Hopefully KIA starts shipping cars with both the key FOBs soon!
kaustavguha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 10:45   #1197
BHPian

My Booking waiting list no is now at 86 . Gone down by another 10 in a month. At this rate looks like another 6-7 months post which the delivery may happen if they do not increase the supply for lower models. Hoping all issues are sorted then, not cancelled the booking till now and have left it open. Currently in wait and watch mode.
Old 7th September 2022, 15:14   #1198
BHPian

Glad to share that I got my Carens 1.4P Luxury Plus DCT delivered yesterday.

I had booked it in the last week of February. I was offered my car in the month of July earlier, well within the committed time. But could not take it at that time due to some medical emergency in the family. This also allowed me to check out the Scorpio N in the meantime. But my family members liked the Carens more for its space, practicality and convenience.

I exchanged my earlier car with the Kia dealer itself as they offered the best price among all the options I tried.

The on-road price including Insurance from the dealer and the MCP package came up to Rs. 20.93L.

The delivery experience with Crystal Kia Pune was very smooth and pleasant. But they did not have any of the accessories I wanted, not even the mud flaps.

Will start a separate initial ownership thread soon. Till then couple of pictures clicked on day1:

Kia Carens Review-img20220906121207.jpg
Kia Carens Review-1image.jpg

Last edited by Knightrider : 7th September 2022 at 15:15.
Knightrider is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 23:47   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavguha View Post
Thank you for the update.
Unfortunately due to certain constraints i will not be able to get the car without 2 key FOBs.
What if we buy now with one fob key and after couple of weeks, raise complaint that the fob key is lost??
They are bound to provide one isn't it??
praveenkkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 23:59   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenkkr View Post
What if we buy now with one fob key and after couple of weeks, raise complaint that the fob key is lost??
They are bound to provide one isn't it??
Tried that approach! Unfortunately the SA said that again only one key FOB will arrive from KIA and because i am claiming that my other FOB is lost, they will program the new FOB and erase the old one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks