Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 19:46   #316
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Was told by Ravindu Toyota that test drives would begin yesterday but was informed that vehicles have arrived at stockyard but are awaiting RTO approval before test drives can start. They are expecting test drives to begin from Friday. Initially only Hybrid variant will be available. Mild Hybrid not expected till mid October.
Old 27th September 2022, 20:35   #317
BHPian

The way Toyota is handling HyRyder, I知 just wondering my decision to go with the vehicle. Absolutely no information from Wasan Toyota, Navi Mumbai. It is my problem that I致e booked vehicle, so I知 following up, it痴 clear. Actually, I知 getting more info on the forum than the SA or his colleagues.
Rant over
So, after my phone call to branch head, I get info that they have got couple of vehicles which will be registered for test rides. TD starts from first week of October. Still no way to check colour schemes, except for Blue vehicle came for showroom, and Cafe white which is same as in Glanza.
For Deliveries, I知 told it starts from October as well. I have no confidence left in them, but updating members here for whatever worth it is.

After reading our comprehensive review and posts here, I知 in double mind about the version ( V vs. G) and colour. That is, in case I go ahead with purchase decision !
Old 27th September 2022, 21:04   #318
BHPian

Many a time while coming back from the hospital where I work I see these test mules going towards Manesar. I've also seen Grand Vitara mule and last week I'm pretty sure I saw the Baleno Cross because it had similar headlights to the recent leaks.
I wonder why they're still testing the Hyryder?

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-videocapture_20220927201153.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th September 2022 at 16:38. Reason: Many a times > Many a time, capitalising proper nouns.
tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 23:12   #319
BHPian

On Grand Vitara thread, people are reporting allocation of the vehicle. Hyryder was launched 3 weeks before GV. Still no confirmation on test drives. Toyota needs to get things sorted.
Old 28th September 2022, 00:15   #320
BHPian

I received the price list for Mumbai/Thane from Millenium Toyota. As per my SA, they have received their TD vehicles & waiting for registration to start the test drives.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HYRYDER PRICELIST.pdf (642.0 KB, 418 views)
Old 28th September 2022, 07:48   #321
BHPian

There is a video review by Overdrive on the comparative fuel economy of Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid(AT) and Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid. At the end of their drive cycle, the Mild Hybrid(AT) reportedly returned 15.73 KMPL whereas Strong Hybrid returned 28.43 KMPL, a difference of nearly 12.7 KMPL. Details of the drive cycle like average speed, distance covered is not provided. However, both the vehicles, I believe, were put to the test in same conditions at same speed and at same time. Considering this, the difference is mind boggling.

I hold a booking for GV Zeta Smart Hybrid MT variant and a Hyryder "S" Strong hybrid ECVT variant. Mostly, I would be going with the Strong Hybrid.
DImPo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 10:04   #322
BHPian

Curiosity killed the cat. Anyway, I have another question towards my strong hybrid research. In case any of you are taking a test drive soon, please help me with an answer to this question, which is oriented towards congested city driving.

At low speeds I anticipate that the car will run on battery alone till it reaches a low state of charge. At that point, the engine will switch on and start charging the battery, and possibly will stop after high state of charge has been reached, and the car will start moving again in EV mode. This cycle will repeat.

This will be a unique experience to drive with the engine on and off. The question is: how frequently this would happen, and how does it feel in the drivers seat with this unique experience?

Thanks in advance. Of course, I will also try to check this when I get an opportunity to test drive, but additional opinions are always helpful.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 28th September 2022 at 10:18.
Old 28th September 2022, 12:24   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder mild-hybrid prices to be out next month
Toyota has announced prices of the E, S, G and V mild-hybrid variants of the Urban Cruiser Hyryder, which range from Rs 10.48 - 17.19 lakh.

AWD only available as option on mild hybrid V manual variant.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-smartselect_20220928123648_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th September 2022 at 12:37.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:31   #324
BHPian

Finally some action on this thread. Otherwise its pretty much dead like Toyota's marketing team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKeMo View Post
I知 in double mind about the version ( V vs. G) and colour. That is, in case I go ahead with purchase decision !
Same for me as I am updating Toyota sales every day on new details. At one point I feel I should switch my full time job and work as a SA at Toyota dealership.
In case you have doubts between V and G like I did, then think like this. G is the most value for money and best option on a tight budget. However if you have the extra green then go for V since that big panoramic sunroom with see-through shade will make the car unbearable in summer and you will appreciate the cooled seats then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
I wonder why they're still testing the Hyryder?
Maybe its still not finished and that's why Toyota is super slow with the rest of the process. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
On Grand Vitara thread, people are reporting allocation of the vehicle. Hyryder was launched 3 weeks before GV. Still no confirmation on test drives. Toyota needs to get things sorted.
Amen to that. I got a call from Suzuki Nexa yesterday. The SA was trying to convert me He even said take the mid hybrid version as it would be cheaper and give peace of mind. Some part of it is true. But I will stick with Toyota for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
I hold a booking for GV Zeta Smart Hybrid MT variant and a Hyryder "S" Strong hybrid ECVT variant. Mostly, I would be going with the Strong Hybrid.
Toyota is cheaper when it comes to strong Hybrid. Go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The question is: how frequently this would happen, and how does it feel in the drivers seat with this unique experience?
This would happen quite frequently depending on the vehicle power need but it would be seamless. You will hear the engine start but there will be no jerk or starter noise like in conventional ones. I drove one and it was very impressive. I heard the Honda City is better but I have not experienced it.
OpenRoads is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:07   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota HyRyder Vs. Maruti Suzuki's Grand Vitara pricing compared:

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:14   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota HyRyder Vs. Maruti Suzuki's Grand Vitara pricing compared:
At first glance, for Strong Hybrid Toyota seems to be a cheaper option by 50K however if you dig deeper then
1. Toyota 2 year extended warranty on top of standard 3 year warranty is close to 18 K
2. If you want to Accessorize with proper foot mats, mud flaps and shiny chrome garnish it would easily take another 10-15 K or more depending on your needs.
3. Spare parts during servicing will cost more at Toyota than Suzuki in the long run.

So, Suzuki is not highly priced but priced differently and pretty much at par with Toyota. It all boils down to your own personal preferences based on looks, color options, convenience etc.
OpenRoads is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 16:16   #327
BHPian

Now i really wonder why there was a such a delay from unveil to price reveal.
Old 28th September 2022, 19:44   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
3. Spare parts during servicing will cost more at Toyota than Suzuki in the long run.
This is the most common misconception regarding these two vehicles.
If you're going for the hybrid then your parts related to the power train will be replaced under Toyota since they're using the TNGA 3cyl Engine and hybrid system made by Toyota.
However if you're going for the mild hybrid one your parts will be handled by suzuki. Everything else is similar in these cars.

Labour charges might vary but the cost of the parts that you end up breaking won't.

You can always ask for a discount at the service centre and they usually do waive off the labour charges (courtesy Honda & Galaxy Toyota have done this for me at every service)
Cost of ownership will be similar in both cars.
tjsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 05:09   #329
BHPian

I just made a back of the envelope calculation on the price to mileage advantage between mild hybrid vs strong hybrid. The price difference between the 2 top-end versions is 1.9 lakhs. As per announcements, the mild hybrid will return about 20 Km/l and strong hybrid will return 28 Km/l. That translates to not more than 2 Rs. variation in running cost. That means it will take a buyer about 100K Kms to nullify the price.

For someone like me who drives 10-12K a year, it means it would take anywhere between 9-10 years to make the recovery. Does it even make sense in that scenario? Would love to hear the comments of others on this thought.

Last edited by shabash : 29th September 2022 at 05:10. Reason: Grammar correction
shabash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 05:28   #330
BHPian

ARAI figures are a tricky reference for real world calculations. Its hard to find a car in any segment has achieved anything even close to ARAI figures in real world.

Moreover the complexity increases in hybrids as the calculations may change drastically depending on the city vs highway usage mix or when compared with alternate fuel like diesel. Even real world driving conditions may affect these calculations. For example you may achieve a certain result at 70 kmph on the highway, but would you get the same result, if you are driving at 100 kmph?

I would probably do two extreme scenarios, 100 % city (best case) and 100% highway, and then interpolation between them is easier.

For 100% city probably it may be 10 kmpl with non hybrid and 20 kmpl with Hybrid (it could be more if you don't use AC or heating). Again, this is one assumption or guesstimate, so please feel free to share your alternate assumptions, rather than crucifying my assumption since real world data in Indian driving conditions is yet to emerge.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 29th September 2022 at 05:47.
ajayc123 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks