Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 12:38   #421
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Lakozy Toyota Andheri ( company owned dealer ) in Mumbai is struggling since over 10 days to get a single vehicle registered. Test drives are scheduled from next week for a few minutes.

I don't understand where the bottlenecks for Toyota Bharat are? MSIL seems to have their work cut out and delivering while Toyota at least in Mumbai seem to be complacent sitting in their high and mighty pedestals thinking " where else will Toyota Loyalists Go?"

Leaves a bad taste even before purchasing the vehicle.

Really sad state of affairs.
Old 11th October 2022, 17:07   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Hyryder delivery begins:

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-toyotaurbancruiserhyryderdelivery1280x640.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 21:52   #423
BHPian

Went to check out the Hyryder at Sonak Toyota, Bavdhan. Unfortunately their test drive car was not registered, so just had to check it out visually. They had it in Blue, Red (Hybrid) and Gray (Neodrive) colors. Looks good, but personally I liked the Grand Vitara more. The black interiors on the G Neodrive variant looked quite good. Not sure whether the Toyota models have better quality interiors, but they looked richer (maybe because of the Black and Tan colors as against Burgundy in the Grand Vitara).
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-53707203a8a1465186d0c16454786270.jpeg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-161de786091a4f8c828872960cba4ff4.jpeg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-08e278b29dd84a46aaaa1ca2f1cb2fb1.jpeg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-826368964d1f44c58c0662cb0840aa23.jpeg  

Djay is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 00:39   #424
BHPian

I checked out the Hyryder at Lanson Toyota, Chennai. While the vehicle looks great and the blue is a beautiful colour, there were a couple of things which I couldn't appreciate:

1. The driver seat is quite narrow. On top of that, there is a small bolster at the edge of the sides which presses into the thighs. On short trips, i might not notice it. But anything longer than an hour, I'm pretty sure this would be uncomfortable. Even the Hyundai i10 has wider seats than the Hyryder. How could Toyota get something so basic wrong?

2. The front and rear entry frame have a high lip - basically we have to manouver our leg a little high to get over the lip and into the seats. This kinda of defeats the purpose of an SUV's USP of easy ingress and egress.

3. The vehicle seems large - larger than a Creta but the inside doesn't seem more spacious than the creta. I thought this was a negative since it makes it difficult to drive and park in the city compared to a more compact SUV which offers the same amount of space. I know this is highly subjective since there are some who prefer a larger road presence but to me that's a negative.

To be honest, the other issue which keeps cropping up - reduced bootspace - didn't seem that much of an issue. The space is sufficient for accomodating enough language for weekend trips for a family of four with kids.
contentedbloke is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 09:07   #425

Checked out the Hyryder at Anamalais Toyota Coimbatore on Sunday. They had registered and kept one neodrive and hybrid for test drives ready.
Display vehicles were available in blue, red with black DT and silver colours. Blue wasnt that attractive for me. Red was more of a maroonish red. Both red and silver looked superb.
My observations.

1. Exterior Looks are personal. Although i feel its the most handsome of the mid size SUV lot. Close second are seltos and kushaq. Far better looking than grand vitara.
2. Interiors - i was personally happy. Comes with all the necessary features expected in this segment. Main things missing compared to koreans are electronic parking brake and powered drivers seat. But in my opinion, i would rather have features which cant be added like ventilated seats, HUD over those. You can still use parking brake manually and adjust the seats manually. So why does it matter !!
Wireless android auto and carplay were seamless during test drive which arent there in the koreans.Audio quality was decent.
360 degree camera does the job. Quality is average.
3. Space and comfort - all the seats are comfortable with good finish. Rear seat space is good. comfortable for 3 leans adults or 2 adults and a child. Safety feature like 3 point seatbelt for all 3 rear seats is welcome.
As far as rear seat headroom, i am 6 foot and in sunroof version, i didnt have an issue per se. I had like 3 fingers between myself and roof. Taller passengers would feel a bit uncomfortable. In the non-sunroof version, headroom is ample though. I had like half a feet between my head and roof.
Another unusual thing i found is the ingress into the rear seats. Although they are high, the roof is low. Hence you have to bend your back a bit to enter. Still better than a sedan.
Boot space is definitely less in hybrid. But not a dealbreaker if you are a small family. Can easily accomodate weekend luggage if you remove the floor board.
4. Drive - test drove the hybrid version. I recently test drove all mid size SUVs like kushaq, taigun, creta. Hands down this is the best for urban rides. Its just so silent. And the performance was surprising for its numbers. The engine kicks on at around 40kmph. The transition is seemless and you wont feel a thing if you have music on.
Acceleration is superb at low speeds. Reaches 60kmph in a flash. Honestly for urban rides, this felt better than the taigun/kushaq/creta turbo. They have the irritating turbo lag at low speeds. I didnt feel that in this. Quick overtakes are a breeze.
Couldnt test the high speed behaviour. But the reviews have already spoken about it.

I have booked the top end V hybrid variant in black. Awaiting the delivery. Since most of my travelling is to work, i am going ahead with my booking.

If your main aim is highway travel or if you are a large family, this might not be ideal for you.
The top ends are a bit expensive. But i see the lower variants selling like hot cakes easily.
itsmystyle07 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 10:19   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmystyle07 View Post
I have booked the top end V hybrid variant in black. Awaiting the delivery. Since most of my travelling is to work, i am going ahead with my booking.
Congratulations on your booking and same pinch (same color and variant booked) I had similar thoughts during test drive and now eagerly waiting for delivery.

Interior things like switches, steering wheel, sun blind for the sunroof are definitely a step down from the Korean and German twins.

However the eCVT reliability, performance and smoothness, added mileage and better safety ratings (hopefully) offsets them with a wide margin.

In terms of looks, I personally like Taigun, Kushak, Seltos and then Creta (that too previous gen). Hyryder looks fresh and at par with its peers.
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 10:52   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave547 View Post
Lakozy Toyota Andheri ( company owned dealer ) in Mumbai is struggling since over 10 days to get a single vehicle registered. Test drives are scheduled from next week for a few minutes.

I don't understand where the bottlenecks for Toyota Bharat are? MSIL seems to have their work cut out and delivering while Toyota at least in Mumbai seem to be complacent sitting in their high and mighty pedestals thinking " where else will Toyota Loyalists Go?"

Leaves a bad taste even before purchasing the vehicle.

Really sad state of affairs.
Please visit Lakozy Toyota Malad which is the main branch, they have already started giving test-drives. I had visited them this Sunday, and test-drives were on in full force. The showroom was jam packed with people.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:07   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Please visit Lakozy Toyota Malad which is the main branch, they have already started giving test-drives. I had visited them this Sunday, and test-drives were on in full force. The showroom was jam packed with people.
Thanks for the heads up. My SA had informed me but in the same breath warned me that they are running a tight schedule with only a few minutes TD locally available.

To drive 45 mins one way down to a congested area for a few minutes of a test drive does not make sense. At the Andheri location you have the option of city drive combined with the open road T2 connector to the highway.
mave547 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:16   #429
BHPian

My brother-in-law and I visited Lason Toyota located 200ft Radial Road, Chennai. By coincidence, there was Hyrider unveiling event where the Deputy Mayor as the principal guest. My brother in law drives his second generation Creta and our observation is based up on it. (we are unbiased any make or model). The following are based on our first impression with a quick glance and can be subjective.

1. Vehicle looks good from outside and large enough to be CSUV.
2. The functions of the display vehicle was pleasing to have. It includes a 360-degree camera, a head-up screen and a panoramic sun roof.
3. Panoramic sunroof is good and large, but it is hard on the eyes to see the fabric mesh underneath as protection. This has not been to our liking.
4. The passenger cabin appears to be smaller than our expectations. In particular the backseat is good for 2 adults and not for 3 adults.
5. My brother-in-law is 6 feet tall and he bumped his head as he entered the back seat for the first time. Also the headroom was very narrow at rear seats.
6. The boot was smaller compared to other vehicles in the same segment.
7. Doors are not heavy and received no "thud". Especially the back doors are so lightweight for me. It hasn't even made me feel like a second generation Swift rear door.
K7@TN14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 17:04   #430
BHPian

Hi Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-whatsapp-image-20221012-16.09.01.jpeg

Dealer has quoted attached price, how much of this is necessary, please guide

Thanks in Advance
007 Bond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 17:07   #431
BHPian

Can anybody comment if front and rear headroom is any better for non sunroof variants compared to sunroof variants?
Old 12th October 2022, 17:08   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post

Thanks in Advance
You can manage insurance in 50k-55k, if taken outside. Try to negotiate for a discount or inform them that you will take it outside.
Just cross check why accessory package costs 52k and what are included in that.
Why is Fastag 1200, it is 600 here in Hyderabad for any vehicle.
Extended warranty is good to have for peace of mind for years to come.
Ceramic coating is optional. Our experts recommend to have ceramic coating outside and not with the dealer.

Last edited by Hickstead : 12th October 2022 at 17:13.
Hickstead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 20:16   #433
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in Advance
Pushing the accessories as 'mandatory' down the customer's throat has been standard practice for many dealerships.
But accessories worth 52K rupees is atrocious.
Screen through every single item and also negotiate for the insurance quote.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 23:08   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Ex Showroom, TCS and extended warranty is fine.

Ask for for Road tax breakup. Its should include tax + registration fees + hypothecation charges. However dealers have the tendency to include high handling charges which is illegal.

Insurance is mandatory but can be taken from 3rd party which should cost ~ 40 -45k. It is not mandatory that you have to take it from dealer.

Fast tag cost should be 200 -300 max

Everything else is optional. Accessories charges are extremely high and seems like they will beat Nirav Modi or Vijay M.
OpenRoads is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 19:57   #435
BHPian

Took a test drive of the V Hybrid variant today.
A Toyota Fortuner and Honda City owner's perspective.
My city is my daily but today i drove to the showroom in the fortuner to compare the experience.

1. I noticed is that on the driver side your left knee does touch against the center console but right knee gets too much free space. I forgot about it after I started driving and my knee rested on the console naturally. No annoying rubbing or knocking.

2. The car turns on like a smart phone. You press the power button and just put it in drive and go. No sound, nothing. It felt very satisfying and I was impressed. Didn't even have to wait for the engine to warm up or anything.

3. Since I drove my fortuner to the showroom, the ride quality felt far better than the fortuner and the hyryder absorbs bumps like a champ. I did feel them but not as much as my city and fortuner.

4. HUD is pretty useless and felt like a gimmick since the digital cluster is still working along with it. I might not even use it after the first week of getting the car.

5. The car picks up to 60km/h pretty quickly. The car drives up to 45Km/h in full EV mode before it says "EV MODE CANCELLED" on the digital cluster and turns on the engine, which is amazing because you just don't feel it turn on. No vibration, no sound, it's seemless. If you're coming from a NA car then the performance will not disappoint. It's actually much better than the other NA cars.
The one thing I don't understand is that the car would sometimes drive in the EV mode from a stop and sometimes it use the ICE. I expected it to always pick up with EV mode but I guess we'll find out more later.

6. My dad who is 5'10 and wears a turban (5'11" total) and loves to critique every little thing about everything was sitting in the back said the back seat was good enough. His head was not touching the roof or hitting the sides. He was specifically looking for those two things and it didn't happen. He seemed happy with the back seat experience.

7. The sunroof is kind of noisy, sounds like a vacuum cleaner. The sunroof is forced upon you from the G Hybrid variant and I would definitely trade it for the ventilated seats. The film is definitely thin but it's fine. You forget about it after a while and it doesn't let any annoying glare or flickering from the tree leaves through

8. The brakes were very sensitive but I'm sure it needs more breaking in (pun intended) before we get the optimal performance out of it. The steering is light and precise.

9. The doors aren't as light as some members claim. They're just fine. The build quality is comparable to a 4th gen Honda City like mine. You can't compare higher budget cars from a higher segment to a lower segment car.

My Delhi to Gurgaon daily drives will be a breeze.
Over all I'm satisfied with the ride quality, build quality and refinement. I'm looking forward to taking my delivery.
tjsi is offline   (57) Thanks

Most Viewed