Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2024, 00:34   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajjaiswal92 View Post
My hycross has been giving a consistent average of around 18-19 KMPL , took delivery on 11/11/2023 , would be sending it for service tomorrow. It has been a quick and comfortable 2 months of ownership.
How did you get fuel economy to show in the drive summary? Mine only shows eco score.
Old 18th January 2024, 09:50   #2612
BHPian

Hi

My HyCross is due for the 1 year servicing in the second week of February.

There was no earlier servicing at 1000km/ 1 month even though the app gave a notification, Toyota told it’s an error.

Few questions:
1. Kindly refer the attached jpg. Would there be a payment that would be required? I had the understanding it was a free service?
Also, I am not interested in a quick service, I want a good service. They are more bent upon quick rather than quality it seems.

2. What can I expect during the one year service?

3. Any good alternatives in Bangalore to Nandi Toyota, specially their Kudlu Gate service center? Sadly I have had a couple of issues (will write on that separately), but the Service Advisor and even the Service Technician seem to be more into sweet talking and selling rather than focus on the issue itself. And the quality of answers and diagnosis that was there was definitely sub par. So while the service center set up is good, I am not sure about the outcome that I would have.
Hence any good alternate service center with a recommended service advisor would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_6784.jpeg  

Old 18th January 2024, 10:07   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
1. Would there be a payment that would be required? I had the understanding it was a free service?
IIRC only the inspection is free and the part charges and oil charges aren't.
Quote:
Also, I am not interested in a quick service, I want a good service. They are more bent upon quick rather than quality it seems.
You can always drop your car off or avail the pickup service if you prefer that way.
Quote:
2. What can I expect during the one year service?
Please check the owner's manual and search for the periodic maintenance for the mentioned interval. It will have what all needs to be inspected, replaced, clean, tightened, etc. Ideally the engine oil is changed and air filter is replaced or cleaned.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:16   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
How did you get fuel economy to show in the drive summary? Mine only shows eco score.
It can be changed through settings in the mid to show trip summary.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 00:44   #2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Hi

3. Any good alternatives in Bangalore to Nandi Toyota, specially their Kudlu Gate service center? Sadly I have had a couple of issues (will write on that separately), but the Service Advisor and even the Service Technician seem to be more into sweet talking and selling rather than focus on the issue itself. And the quality of answers and diagnosis that was there was definitely sub par. So while the service center set up is good, I am not sure about the outcome that I would have.
Hence any good alternate service center with a recommended service advisor would be much appreciated.
I too had a couple of "not so great" experiences at Nandi Toyota Kudlu Gate back in 2018 with my old Innova, and then stopped using them.
I switched to Nandi Toyota Bommanahalli, and it has been a good experience with them, and they were my default location for yearly service for my old Innova which I replaced about a month ago with the Hycross.
I was with the same service advisor throughout, and the experience has been good. Here are his details : Sudarshan Kumar, Ph. 85500 34502.
sdasgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 12:36   #2616

Started exploring the idea of a spacious family car for long highway commutes, considering Innova Hycross Hybrid and similar others, primarily for five members and occasionally some additional ones.

Hycross hybrid owners - How has your experience been on greenfield highways, like the Samruddhi Expressway, the mileage? Considering there would hardly be any regenerative breaking across the entire greenfield stretch (no towns, sparse traffic), so no battery charging, or would it? Is it fair to assume that the mileage would come down comparable to that of an Innova Crysta Petrol for speeds in the range of 100 - 120 kmph with cruise control?

I understand, smaller hybrids like hyrider in cities and towns would make a lot of sense.

I am a newbie to hybrids. Though I partly understand the basics of strong hybrids, I'm trying to understand if there is anything else involved under the hood to give any advantage on totally open roads with cruise controls.

Wouldn't diesel, rather alternative eco fuels, in the future start making a more cost-effective solution? (different topic altogether)

As our road infrastructure gets upgraded over the upcoming years, was wondering if large Hybrids would be any advantage for "long inter-city drives".
Old 19th January 2024, 12:36   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdasgupta View Post
I switched to Nandi Toyota Bommanahalli, and it has been a good experience with them, and they were my default location for yearly service for my old Innova which I replaced about a month ago with the Hycross.
Bommanahalli service center is better in general in terms of attention and customer service, but are they trained enough for HyCross? Usually, the parts supply and training at Bommanahalli center lags that of Kudlu Gate service center.

Last edited by subbarp : 19th January 2024 at 12:56.
Old 19th January 2024, 13:57   #2618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdasgupta View Post
Yes, I was also surprised when they told me that it was available.
Congratulations on getting Innova Hycross. Innova is really a dream car in the MUV segment. And your family will sure enjoy many long trips in the Hycross.

I can understand the grudge of Crysta owners. It's hard to digest that their Crysta , often brand new is now replaced by a newer entry from Toyota. And XUV, Scorpio N probably want to show they are more powerful. But everyone knows who's the big boss in this segment.
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 14:06   #2619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac01 View Post
Hycross hybrid owners - How has your experience been on greenfield highways, like the Samruddhi Expressway, the mileage? Considering there would hardly be any regenerative breaking across the entire greenfield stretch (no towns, sparse traffic), so no battery charging, or would it? Is it fair to assume that the mileage would come down comparable to that of an Innova Crysta Petrol for speeds in the range of 100 - 120 kmph with cruise control?

I'm getting more mileage on the highway than in cities. I have seen many people getting confused over this due to an incorrect understanding of the hybrid system so let me explain:

You use energy to accelerate. Normally when you brake you lose all of that energy as heat.

Regenerative braking will capture some of that energy that is lost during braking. It is impossible to recapture all of it. Perpetual motion machines cannot exist as it goes against the laws of physics.

Let me give you a simplified example:

Imagine a hybrid travelling at 100 kmph.

1. It takes 'x' amount of energy to accelerate to 100 kmph and maybe 10% of that energy to continue travelling at that speed.

2. If you slow down, you lose that X amount of energy and maybe save 50% through regenerative braking.

3. To get back to 100kmph, you need to spend that X amount of energy again. Due to regenerative braking saving some 50% earlier , you only need another 50% of X to get back to 100 kmph.

But in the same case, if you had just avoided slowing down, you would only be spending the 10% of X needed to keep the vehicle maintaining that speed.

Every time you slow down and speed back up, you are wasting more energy regardless of having regenerative braking.

This is not a jugaad plug-in hybrid where the entire system becomes dead weight once the battery is drained. Toyota hybrids can recharge battery directly from the engine. The high mileage figures of the hycross isn't just due to regenerative braking but due to improvements in engine design as well.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 15:49   #2620

Quote:
I'm getting more mileage on the highway than in cities. I have seen many people getting confused over this due to an incorrect understanding of the hybrid system so let me explain:
Thank you @Cresterk. Great to know you are getting more mileage on highway than in the city. Right, it gets confusing when reviews suggest that one would get more mileage in City than Highways, with a hybrid. Apparently not always, my understanding was wrong.

Quote:
You use energy to accelerate. Normally when you brake you lose all of that energy as heat.

Regenerative braking will capture some of that energy that is lost during braking. It is impossible to recapture all of it. Perpetual motion machines cannot exist as it goes against the laws of physics.

Let me give you a simplified example:

Imagine a hybrid travelling at 100 kmph.

1. It takes 'x' amount of energy to accelerate to 100 kmph and maybe 10% of that energy to continue travelling at that speed.

2. If you slow down, you lose that X amount of energy and maybe save 50% through regenerative braking.
That was my question - on a greenfield highway, my assumption is, one would rearely use the breaks, so breaking doesn't get a chance to save any energy, and it would end up acting like a normal petrol car.

Quote:
3. To get back to 100kmph, you need to spend that X amount of energy again. Due to regenerative braking saving some 50% earlier , you only need another 50% of X to get back to 100 kmph.

But in the same case, if you had just avoided slowing down, you would only be spending the 10% of X needed to keep the vehicle maintaining that speed.

Every time you slow down and speed back up, you are wasting more energy regardless of having regenerative braking.
Right. Again, one would rarely slow down with cruise-control set on a Greenfield highway. However, if there is more traffic to dodge, then the car ADAS / manual breaking comes into play and it takes the advantage of regenerative breaking thus generating & saving as battery power.

Quote:
This is not a jugaad plug-in hybrid where the entire system becomes dead weight once the battery is drained. Toyota hybrids can recharge battery directly from the engine. The high mileage figures of the hycross isn't just due to regenerative braking but due to improvements in engine design as well.
Yes. As I understand for some while during the drive, the motor also acts like a generator and charges the battery on the go, so for a a while it does end up loosing its energy & efficiency in doing so. But overall depending on conditions, it mostly ends up saving more while loosing some.

Having said that, as you mentioned, you are getting more mileage on highway than in the city. This could be probably because engine ideling may have been more in the city and overall it ends up loosing more power than the efficiency gained during breaking.

Thank you. You certainly helped me clear my doubts about hybrids in my search.

Last edited by zodiac01 : 19th January 2024 at 16:13. Reason: fixed typo
Old 19th January 2024, 16:07   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Bommanahalli service center is better in general in terms of attention and customer service, but are they trained enough for HyCross? Usually, the parts supply and training at Bommanahalli center lags that of Kudlu Gate service center.
Valid point and would love some insights on this. It’s been one year plus now that the HyCross has been launched and hope that the training is up to date at the Bommanahalli location too. Not to say that the Kudlu Gate team was greatly competent in the first place (sadly).

And with other Hybrids too like the HyRyder, hope that the Toyota centers have trained personnel.
Old 19th January 2024, 16:37   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhardwaj View Post
Any further update on this? I have received a similar email from Galaxy Toyota with waiting period as undefined and Sequence number as '4'.
Haven't taken any update from Galaxy as he was pushing for accessories and insurance. Went down to Uttam, SA informed that in Dec & Jan they have received only ZX & ZX(O) models.

The next VX they receive in my specific color would be allocated to me, SA expects might get it in Feb sometime. Just take timely update from your SA so that they dont take you for a spin and allot someone else.
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 20:05   #2623
BHPian

Took delivery of my ZX Hycross on the 18th of January. Was a smooth and fussfree handover. The lady in the pic had handed me my Fortuner Obelix way back in 2009. I am sure there is a pic of her in my TBhp review of my 2009 Fortuner.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240118_151236.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240119_194936_photos.jpg

Went straight to the Petrol Pump and filled up to the brim. 40 liters is all that it could take in. Must have had 12 liters in the tank though the fuel indicator needle looked quite totally lifeless.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240118_160256.jpg

Today was "Tyre Day" which is a fun exercise for pretty much every car enthusiast.
Replaced the Goodyear Assurance 225/50 R18 with Yokohama Blu Earth RV02 225/55 R18. Gave the wheels a slightly meatier sidewall and a slight fillip to ground clearance. Haven't been able to test how the new tyres drive yet. I hope they wont be noisy. I heard the same profile and tyre does duty on the Vellfire as OE fitment.

Cost: Rs. 15,000/- for the swap of 4 tyres.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240119_115703.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240119_122301.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240119_135759.jpg

Went and had a sidestep installed too. Not really needed as the Hycross is a pretty "walk in walk out" affair. It just gives the lower sill some protection and also looks pretty neat. These are slim and tapered in the ends so do not stick out at the edges at all. They are fitted with 5 sturdy metal brackets and the sidestep does not move at all when jumped upon. They make no difference to ground clearance or ramp breakover angle as they fit snug with the lower sill.
Quite impressed with the quality.
Cost: 11,000/-

Also had Roof Rails installed. These are plain satin silver painted and match the other satin silver accents on the front bumper. These are purely ornamental and are glued on with an industrial strength adhesive. Not meant to take the weight of a Roofbox or Carrier.
Cost: Rs.7000/-

A pic of the sidestep and roof rails:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240119_151109.jpg

Will get mudflaps installed soon but only the OE ones from Toyota. The aftermarket ones are installed incorrectly and by using cheap screws. Those will surely fall out after a year or two.

First impressions of the Hycross will follow soon. It hasn't even crossed 75 kms so its too soon to comment as yet.

Everything looks good though. As expected from Toyota.

Last edited by Manuuj : 19th January 2024 at 20:08. Reason: Added information.
Manuuj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 21:04   #2624
BHPian

A bit off topic but as i stared at my Innova Hycross grill it reminded me very much of our Mark 2 Ambassador face as well. Its almost like DLJ 2024 had taken rebirth in a newer shinier avatar.

Pic for reference only. Not my Ambassor.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240119_205131_google.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240119_194936_photos.jpg

Cannot unsee it now and I'm totally okay with that.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 21:24   #2625

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Yes, we should check that. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on that sinceI haven't hit any service intervals for the Hycross yet. The 1000 km, 1 month, inspection is coming up, and for that I am planning to take it to Ravindu Toyota Avalahalli.
sdasgupta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks