Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 23:32   #2476
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Alright, I will buy one of them and see how it turns out. Thanks for the advice, friend.
Honestly, you don't really need to buy to test, it's better if you just contact them and ask for an overview. They are pretty cooperative from my experience. Don't forget to look up YouTube videos either.
Old 18th November 2023, 22:09   #2477
Distinguished - BHPian

Just something I always wanted to know. How do reclining seats go hand in hand with safety? Most reviews, including ours, mention that rear seats can be turned into a near flatbed. But does that not make it unsafe? Those rear seat belts and curtain airbags are made redundant the minute you recline your seats. Or am I missing something?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 08:25   #2478
BHPian

Hello Friends. I stay in Noida, U.P and got my Hycross Va delivered in April 2023. I have been reading about "Uttar Pradesh Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Mobility Policy 2022" which aims to boost the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the state by offering significant incentives to EV buyers by providing a 100 per cent tax breather on EVs sold and registered in Uttar Pradesh from October 14, 2022, to October 13, 2025. According to Govt. The scope of the policy includes four-wheelers, Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV), Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV), and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV).

I wanted to know if anyone of you have received any refund of registration and road tax etc. in State of U.P. or elsewhere. Initially Toyota guys told me that i would receive refund in my account itself. But i am clueless. Kindly guide
Abhijeetsinha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 21:01   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Went on yet another longish drive this weekend. Again to Palakkad on the 6 lane highway through Kuthiran Tunnel. I had done this trip several times recently so I have a good idea of the road.

Was fully loaded with 7 passengers and the trip was just a breeze. Speed limit on the 6 lane stretch is 110 kmph and taking long sweeping curves at that speed without letting off accelerator felt unreal in an Innova. There is no tossing around of passengers, even my mother who is normally very vocal if I take a turn at higher speeds didn't notice. The car was also completely steady and confidence inspiring even over expansion joints. Compared to the previous gen Innovas or even the current Fortuner, the Hycross is decades ahead in the handling department.

Now to the not so great parts:

If the hybrid battery is low, the engine will rev up higher than the current speed demands to charge the battery. If you are already travelling at a high speed and then decide to overtake, this leads to the engine reving up high as it needs to do 3 things at once. If you push the accelerator even further, you will find that the car is still not near redline and has power left in reserve.

BUT:

The noise is very audible and it is not even a pleasant sound. I found myself letting off the accelerator just to make the noise go away and waiting for the hybrid battery to charge up first, treating the battery level indicator like a little refillable nitrous gauge.

Once the battery is near full, you can accelerate harder without the engine revving up. The energy from the battery is used instead.

I wish toyota did a better job of making the engine quieter or atleast simulated up shifts on the E-CVT in comfort mode to give the illusion of an upshift. A constant droning noise while accelerating can get tiring and makes the car sound strained even when it is not. As sporty as the performance is if you measure it, it doesn't actually **feel** sporty. I guess this might be asking for too much though.
Cresterk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 21:49   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
I wish toyota did a better job of making the engine quieter or atleast simulated up shifts on the E-CVT in comfort mode to give the illusion of an upshift. A constant droning noise while accelerating can get tiring and makes the car sound strained even when it is not.
Have you considered getting the sound dampening done? It will help reduce the level of NVH a lot and the car will feel more refined.

Off-topic, but I was seriously considering getting it done for my Safari, as I've done for all my previous vehicles. However, TATA has done a really great job with the facelift. Even with its diesel engine, the sound isn't concerning at all and instead it makes the car feel more alive. But with the e-CVT, it must be the opposite story.
Old 19th November 2023, 22:01   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Went on yet another longish drive this weekend. Again to Palakkad on the 6 lane highway through Kuthiran Tunnel. I had done this trip several times recently so I have a good idea of the road.

Was fully loaded with 7 passengers and the trip was just a breeze. Speed limit on the 6 lane stretch is 110 kmph and taking long sweeping curves at that speed without letting off accelerator felt unreal in an Innova. There is no tossing around of passengers, even my mother who is normally very vocal if I take a turn at higher speeds didn't notice. The car was also completely steady and confidence inspiring even over expansion joints. Compared to the previous gen Innovas or even the current Fortuner, the Hycross is decades ahead in the handling department.
In terms of handling, I feel the steering to be a bit too light and does not inspire confidence at high speed, it does not have any weight and feel and has constant movement, it would be better if there was some feedback.
Has anyone noticed any improvement in steering feel and weight after doing alignment and balancing?
manofinfinity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 22:09   #2482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How do reclining seats go hand in hand with safety? Most reviews, including ours, mention that rear seats can be turned into a near flatbed. But does that not make it unsafe?
As far as Innova is concerned, deployment of Airbags/ side curtains should be the same as a person sitting upright when wearing a seat belt. However, in an accident, there might be difference in injury based on the body's position/ impact.

On some of the other premium cars like the newer 7 and S class, rear occupants get their own airbags in the belt or Rear Seat Frontal Airbags.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 00:38   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAwX View Post
Have you considered getting the sound dampening done? It will help reduce the level of NVH a lot and the car will feel more refined.

Off-topic, but I was seriously considering getting it done for my Safari, as I've done for all my previous vehicles. However, TATA has done a really great job with the facelift. Even with its diesel engine, the sound isn't concerning at all and instead it makes the car feel more alive. But with the e-CVT, it must be the opposite story.
I have considered it but I have never gotten damping done on any of my cars so I am a bit hesitant, especially since it involves ripping out the door panels etc which would lead to losing factory finish and worst case even lead to rattling. I have also heard conflicting reports that it doesn't affect engine noise much, but only wheel well noises. I will consider it if I ever sit in a damped vs stock car to see the difference for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
In terms of handling, I feel the steering to be a bit too light and does not inspire confidence at high speed, it does not have any weight and feel and has constant movement, it would be better if there was some feedback.
Has anyone noticed any improvement in steering feel and weight after doing alignment and balancing?
It could be something to do with your car, I get reasonable feedback in mine and it doesn't have any movement even with ADAS turned off. Light and heavy are comparative terms so it would help if you would also state what car you are comparing it to. Here are some of the newer cars I drove and their steering feel:

Citroen C5 aircross : Lightest steering I have ever seen on any car. But car handled very well and went exactly where I wanted it to go with no bodyroll even on sharp turns at high speeds.

Tata Safari (pre facelift) : Heavy at lower speeds and oddly sensitive at higher speeds. Almost went off the road when I changed lanes at higher speeds. Still did okay over very rough patches at medium speeds without much jerks or movement.

Scoprio-N : Light and precise. Lots of bodyroll but it still went exactly where I wanted the car to go and no loss of control. Ride was never settled and had a lot of movement though.

Polo GT: Hydraulic unit that was heavier but had good feedback and handled exceptionally well.

Taigun GT: VW gave it an electric power steering that was much lighter to turn than the hydraulic one in the Polo GT. It still handled just as well and I felt fully in control with minimal effort.

Cyrsta 2.4 Z AT : Hydraulic unit that was heavy and cumbersome. It took effort to turn and would tire you out on rougher roads since the steering would jerk around and you had to consciously hold it still.

MG ZS ev (pre facelift): Started out decent but about 3 fast turns in, the steering got oddly very heavy and I had to steer with all my might to turn it on the 4th turn. Strange behaviour and immediately put a damper in my plans.

My elite i20 asta diesel : Light and precise to drive but without much feedback when you are near the center. You won't get any feedback unless you are taking a sharp turn and the EPS has a strong tendency to artificially center itself when you haven't turned the steering much. It was widely paned by critics as being too light when it was released but most of the new cars I drove including the Hycross is noticeably lighter but with better feel and feedback.

You generally get used to light/heavy steering within some time as your brain adapts to how much muscle power is required. Once you are accustomed to driving a car with lighter power steering, you will find a heavier steering way too cumbersome and vise versa.
Similar thing occurs when you move between a car with power assisted brakes and manual brakes. Many people have unintentionally locked up their wheels when they drove a modern car after being used to the manual brakes of the Maruti 800 used in the driving school.

Last edited by Cresterk : 20th November 2023 at 00:42.
Old 20th November 2023, 11:09   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it will sadly. I'm hoping to tuck it away inside the radiator grill where it won't be easily visible unless it is turned on. Planning to link it to high beams so it only turns on when the highbeams are activated. Finding a light that fits the dimensions and also has sufficient throw is the hard part.
Although my car’s delivery date is still far into 2024.

I have ordered these lights, fingers crossed they fit in the small gap in the radiator grill that you’ve marked…

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-fd3b18c4ad1d494ea42913269ffff8ce.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-c7ee3a404c104c44b0aa8aaf1491f1de.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-2a6441c55f9c48aca5356533ab1acf4c.jpeg

https://www.stedi.com.au/2-pack-20w-...lim-black.html
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 20:42   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I have ordered these lights, fingers crossed they fit in the small gap in the radiator grill that you’ve marked…
Quote:
Alright, I will buy one of them and see how it turns out. Thanks for the advice, friend.
Like majority, even I'm not satisfied with the headlight through of Hycross.

While i really want to upgrade it, but i dont want to spoil is OEM look of my car and that's when I come across 2 inch Projector Fog lamp which can be fitted in Fog Lamp (mine is VXO & comes with Fog lamps).

Below is just 1 example and if you further search on YouTube, you'll realize 2inch Projector Fog lamps are easily available but then i'm confused about their quality, warranty issue etc.

Let me know what you guys think. Below is the one example, which i felt is good.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-2.jpg
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 14:15   #2486
BHPian

Hello.

After a lot of internal deliberations, my family and I have chosen the Innova Hycross VX as our next car.

We approached Nandi Toyota, Queens Road (Bengaluru) but were unimpressed with the service advisor (poor knowledge of features and delivery process, allowed only a short test drive on a GX trim, no access to other trims or real-world views of the shades, discounting data/opinions gleaned online, including from team-bhp). Ravindu Toyota (Yeshwanthpur) was relatively better. The advisor there agreed to us taking insurance from a third party, us opting for certain accessories and not through a package deal, us insisting on the VNI being less than 30 days old when allotted and us not entertaining depot/handling charges.

But, he did not agree to the pre-registration PDI at their yard. He says that the delivery manager isn't willing to give us the required permission to enter their yard, and that I could perform the PDI at the showroom prior to registration

I see a lot of PDIs on team-bhp occur at the yards of dealers, and so was surprised by their reluctance to grant me access. We have at least one case (Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car) where lack of such access would have led the buyer to purchase a display car.

What can I do in this situation? Should I agree to the pre-registration PDI at the showroom, or insist that I do so at their yard?

Please let me know.
dearchichi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 15:06   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Hello.

But, he did not agree to the pre-registration PDI at their yard. He says that the delivery manager isn't willing to give us the required permission to enter their yard, and that I could perform the PDI at the showroom prior to registration

I see a lot of PDIs on team-bhp occur at the yards of dealers, and so was surprised by their reluctance to grant me access. We have at least one case (Dodged a bullet | PDI insistence helped me avoid a BMW display car) where lack of such access would have led the buyer to purchase a display car.

What can I do in this situation? Should I agree to the pre-registration PDI at the showroom, or insist that I do so at their yard?

Please let me know.
I know this sounds sad, but I have always approached motor vehicle dealers in India with the basic assumption that they are out to trick you. Insist on a yard visit. I see no reason why they wouldn't allow it. Let them know you have asked for opinion on Tbhp. It opens doors. Literally, it could open up the yard doors for you. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
msnarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 15:26   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Absolutely unacceptable behaviour from the Toyota Dealership. As a consumer you never get any freebies from them and when you are paying in full why should you compromise? Insist on the PDI and tell them you will not disburse the payment till then.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 18:55   #2489
BHPian

Does anyone know the water wading depth of the Hycross? I couldn't find it anywhere
Old 21st November 2023, 18:56   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Hycross Hybrid waiting period is between 9-12 months
  2. Top-spec ZX and ZX(O) bookings not reopened officially
  3. Hycross petrol waiting period is between 4-6 months
Autocar - Toyota Innova Hycross waiting period stretches to one year

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks