Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 19:55   #2641
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Hi friends. My hycross will be completing 1 year in April and insurance will be due. For the first year I had gone ahead with Toyota protect but if I am not wrong that costed me somewhere around 1.2 5K. Does anyone have any suggestion regarding insurance for second year?
Old 21st January 2024, 21:10   #2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinikalantri View Post

I am used to setting the temperature to what ever I want and then setting the AC on auto mode. In my other cars, pressing the auto button also turns in the AC if it was turned off. But in Hycross, the AC remains off and to me it seems counterintuitive.

Is this behaviour expected? Shouldn’t putting the AC in auto mode also turn on the AC? Or do different cars have different ways of this situation?
My earlier Innova used to behave the same way. If the AC is off, the auto mode tries to manage by changing the fan speed, so you will notice that the fan speed will keep increasing if the AC is off, though it will not be effective in hot weather. Actually, I find it useful in Bangalore where evening temperatures are usually cooler, so anytime outside temp is lower or equal to the temp I need, I can set it on auto without AC and save fuel

So, this is the default behaviour, and will not be a surprise to owners of past Innovas. In fact, I believe this is the default behavior for all Toyotas. I seem to recall the same behavior in Corollas I have driven. But I could be wrong.
sdasgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 15:49   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from Toyota connect regarding the 4 ventilated seats bug in their app that I had pointed out. Glad to note that they have fixed it in the latest update.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_8600.png

Tyre pressure monitoring is also available now.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:36   #2644
BHPian

The new update to the Toyota i-Connect app is finally worthy of calling it a connected car feature!
I am seeing the Tyre Pressure Monitoring system and Driving Insights being added for VX model.

TPMS under Vehicle Status:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240123_102329_toyota-iconnect.jpg

Driving Insights:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240123_102345_toyota-iconnect.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240123_102518_toyota-iconnect.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20240123_102528_toyota-iconnect.jpg
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:42   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
The new update to the Toyota i-Connect app is finally worthy of calling it a connected car feature!
I am seeing the Tyre Pressure Monitoring system and Driving Insights being added for VX model.
I am also seeing 33psi as the recommended pressure is this predefined by Toyota or it is a default in the app or we can change the recommended pressure via mid and will it reflect in the app?
Old 23rd January 2024, 11:29   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
I am also seeing 33psi as the recommended pressure is this predefined by Toyota or it is a default in the app or we can change the recommended pressure via mid and will it reflect in the app?
I couldn't set the tyre pressure recommendations. The TPMS warnings are also based on this coding.
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:12   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
33psi appears the number recommended by Toyota, also being the number as printed on the driver door frame next to the driver seat.

I understand it is 33psi for all 4 wheels in case of 1-2 occupants and 36 psi for the rear wheels for more occupants and luggage. I would assume we need to calibrate for 2/6 passengers on our own within this range (33-36 psi).
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 22:45   #2648

Hello,

This is my first post and I would like to thank this forum members for sharing the fantastic information, insights and experiences. This was extremely useful when I started searching for a new car and finally purchased Innova Hycross.

My hycross VX variant is almost 9 months old, and things have been all good so far. I recently came across 'key not detected' error on the console when going for an outstation trip. Fortunately I remembered that by touching the back of the electronic key to the start button, the car could be started and went ahead. However, whenever any door was opened, even with the car stopped and engine running, the error would reappear. And steering control buttons cease to work.

Did quick search and came across a video on YouTube showing this error when key battery is dead. That didn't appear to be the case here, as car could be locked or unlocked using the key buttons and led blinked as well on pressing. Smart key entry didn't work. Still, thinking it might be low battery, got a new one online. Please note the battery used here is not CR 2032 but it uses CR2450, not readily available at the shops and had to order online. Before, the new battery arrived tested with the other spare key and it all worked fine with it.

Called the SA and took the car to service centre. They tried similar things, swapping batteries between the 2 keys and it was clear that it was not battery issue and one electronic key was not working. Sat with the person for debug after he connected the laptop to the debug port and did diagnosis on Smart key Entry system. There are 5 receivers (called oscillator) in his language which detect the presence of electronic key in the car, one in center, near cup holder, one each on inside roof towards driver n passenger seat and 2 behind on rear seat side. When pinged from laptop, if key is brought near these oscillators, it beeps to confirm communication. The faulty key didn't create beep. The service person asked that they need to escalate this to TKM and requested sometime to resolve. Left the car there, and by evening the update was they need to order new key and it may take 10 days. It was covered in under warranty, so I need not pay anything else it cost around 17k is what SA told, not sure how true. They said they will inform once the key is ready and it would need to be configured with the vehicle.

Fortunately, new key arrived within 3-4 days and after configuring, it works fine. Not sure what went wrong with the electronic key, it worked fine just a day before.. anyways I am happy it got resolved.

Had spent quite some time with the user manual and there is a mechanism by which the spare key can be put in low power mode to save the battery else it may last not more than a year. Most of us may use only one key, so I think this could be useful. Also, I found that the battery used is not easily available in stores.. could be found online, better to have one spare.

I requested the SA to configure the key buttons where long press would close any open windows remotely as the manual mentioned this needs to be done by the service guys and is not in mid settings. They obliged. I would like to know from other users if anyone came across similar issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img20231225152210.jpg  

fernweh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 00:34   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Would appreciate if you could provide your inputs on how the first service experience with Ravindu Toyota was. My one year servicing is in the second week of February.
My HyCross VX 8S was purchased at Ravindu Toyota, Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore on 1st Feb 2023.

My car completed 20K within 1 year. Hence I got 2 services done at Ravindu. Below are the details of things done and cost of each service. FYI, my car has extended 5Yr warranty ( Looks like it does not cover service charges and stuff like oil change etc). The car was dropped in morning by 9AM by my driver and picked up on same day evening by my driver. Appointment was taken couple of days before on phone. Also note, once service invoice is generated, it can be paid in Toyota iConnect App under Service History. Apart from the particulars listed below, car was washed neatly and some interior dash polish was done.
  1. 10k service in Aug 2023 - Oil change, filter, gasket change, windshield washer fluid change. Wheel alighment and balancing (SA recommended and I opted for it. Costed 2K extra). Overall cost was 6K.
  2. 20k service in Dec 2023 - Oil change, filter, gasket change, windshield washer fluid change. AC filter change (costs 2K). Wheel alighment and balancing (SA recommended and I opted for it. Costed 2K extra). Also there was rear break pad change as it was worn out and was good only for next 1-2K kms(costed 5K). Overall cost was around 14K.
Apart from the regular services I had to visit Ravindu for 3 repairs (all under Toyota Insurance provided by SBI. It was smooth.)
  1. Front Windshield replacement due to a crack from a small gravel that flew into whidshield on a highway. This happened for the very first time in last 4 decades of various car ownership in our family. Cost - mandatory 2K by me and 20K by insurance.
  2. Front left fender and door dent repair and paint due to a minor mishap while parking in a village. Cost - mandatory 2K by me and 15K by insurance.
  3. Rat bite incident causing major repair of front AC components and some plastic parts ( will write separate post on this). Cost - mandatory 2K by me and 40K by insurance. A steel mesh at cost of Rs.1K was installed to avoid Rats coming into dashboard and car.
gladiatort1000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 01:16   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatort1000 View Post
  1. Rat bite incident causing major repair of front AC components and some plastic parts ( will write a separate post on this). Cost - mandatory 2K by me and 40K by insurance. A steel mesh at cost of Rs.1K was installed to avoid Rats coming into dashboard and car.
As mentioned in the above post, I am giving a detailed account of damage caused due to Rat bite and the steel mesh installation done at Ravindu Toyota near the dash area to avoid RAT coming inside.

Before HyCross we owned Gen1 Innova from 2006 to 2023. The car does not fit in the parking area present inside our home. Hence it is parked outside the home. Old Innova never suffered a rat bite incident in 17 years of ownership.

Somehow within 1 month of purchasing the HyCross on 1st Feb 2023, we started noticing rat droppings inside the car. Sometimes pieces of sealing wool type of material were found inside the car. I purchased 3M Rat spray and sprayed inside the engine bay and areas where there can be a chance of RAT entry inside the dashboard. Continued doing this on a monthly basis. Looks like this did not give expected results.

After a few weeks there was a smell in the AC and loud noise from AC. Rats had damaged the AC filter and chewed through more than half of it. Since it cost only 2K. I got it replaced by paying out of pocket and did not go for insurance.

Couple of months down the line, there was sewage cleanup done in my road and locality by the BBMP. This seemed to have drawn out even more Rats to the surface. During a long weekend in May, I had not touched the car for 3 days and when we opened the car on the 4th day, I noticed a smell inside the car and loud noise from the AC. Upon inspection there were multiple damages. Below is the list and then photos are attached:

1. Small part of the plastic between the front windshield and bonnet was damaged.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-plastics-between-front-windshield-hood-damaged.jpg

2. A large hole was found in the 3rd row left passenger bottle holder/ charging plugs.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-large-hole-3rd-row-left-bottle-holder.jpg

3. Multiple parts of AC were damaged inside the dash.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-ac-filter-damgaea.jpg Toyota Innova Hycross Review-ac-parts1.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-ac-parts2.jpg Toyota Innova Hycross Review-plastic-grill-between-dash-engine-bay.jpg

Got the repair done under insurance. I paid 2K and insurance paid 40K.

A mesh was installed in the dash are for around 1 to 1.5k. Below is the photo of the mesh installtion.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-mesh-install1.png
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-mesh-install2.png

After this repair and mesh installation. I have continue dto use the 3M RAT Spray on monthly basis and has not seen any traces of Rats coming inside my car.

So getting mesh installed seems to be good idea. I suggest others to try this.
gladiatort1000 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 08:48   #2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatort1000 View Post
After this repair and mesh installation. I have continue dto use the 3M RAT Spray on monthly basis and has not seen any traces of Rats coming inside my car.

So getting mesh installed seems to be good idea. I suggest others to try this.
Thanks for the detailed review and pictures.

I faced rat bite on my air filter after 2 months of purchase, car was parked outside a friends house during our short visit. Luckily, nothing else was damaged. Got it changed and also got the metal mesh fixed. Was surprised to see the size of opening Have purchased 3M spray, yet to apply.
fernweh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 11:45   #2652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
After all, as ironic and silly it may sound, I ended up paying 20k to downsize both wheel and tyre sizes Tyre shop owner told me that I am not alone, a few others had already done that before! Hope these wheels serve me better overall. I was concerned about both new wheels and tyres looking too puny and less attractive than originals, but eventually I don't feel so. To me, they are subjectively looking neither small/disproportionate for the car, nor any downgrade in looks department.
I seem to have missed this post, could you please post some pictures of your HyCross ZX with 16 inch Crysta alloys.

So according to you an authorised Toyota dealership will not allow me to switch to Crysta’s 17 inch alloys that I want on the HyCross, even if I buy it from them.

Also please let us know which shop did you get the alloys from and where is it located.

TIA
Old 24th January 2024, 15:15   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Currently I am waiting for my VX(O) and looks like the wait is long. I had earlier opted for 8 seater with middle bench as I thought the boot might be needed for highway trips along with 4-5 adults. I didn’t consider ZX earlier due to captain seats (also Toyota is not allowing booking) .

My family (after taking detailed test drive of rear seats) now says rear captain seats are comfortable and the boot is big enough for a weekend trip. So rear bench seat is not a must have criteria anymore.

I need some suggestions if I should go with VX, upgrade to ZX(O) or stick to my booking and wait longer. I am planning to keep the car for at least 10 years or more.

My dealership says Toyota is prioritising ZX over VX(O) for obvious reasons and are willing to provide upgrade to ZX(O) and early delivery. Alternatively they said VX is also available with shorter waiting but they are somehow reluctant to sell VX(O) and wants customers to either downgrade or upgrade.

Now comes the dilemma :

VX
Save money
6 airbags are standard
Easy to maintain - No sun roof, no ADAS and unwanted points of failure
Q - How useful is the OEM fog lamp on hycross(I see it is LED) ? Is it better to stick to after market fog lamps instead ?
Q - Does the VX music system come with wireless apple car play ? It seem to have everything else (except smaller size)

VX(O)
I get Sunroof, fog lamps and bigger music system
Q - But does it justify 2.5 lakhs ? We no longer have 6 airbag exclusivity here

ZX(O)
Top of the line(Feels like an upgrade from my Corolla and is future proof for next 10+ years)
ADAS on Hycross worked pretty well, adaptive cruise control, auto braking, lane keep etc worked even on a road with hardly any markings

VX can help me save around 6 lakhs over the ZX(O) and also avoid unnecessary electronics which can increase my maintenance. However ZX(O) will mean I do not have to worry about upgrade itch for a decade. That makes me wonder if the purpose of VX(O) is only limited to those who want a sunroof but not ADAS.

I am open for suggestions. While I am not in any hurry to buy new car, just making sure if I am making the right choice with VX optional.

Last edited by graaja : 27th January 2024 at 07:19. Reason: Minor typo: breaking -> braking
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 15:35   #2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Would appreciate if you could provide your inputs on how the first service experience with Ravindu Toyota was. My one year servicing is in the second week of February.
@MarutiGuy1977, here is an update on the service experience yesterday at Ravindu Toyota, Avalhalli.
It was very satisfactory, typical Toyota, very prompt and professional, and they answered all my queries and even took a test drive with me to explain a noise I was hearing from the suspension.
I also asked them about training the technicians on Hybrid technology, and the SA said, of course, all technicians have been trained on the hybrids, and they continue to have regular refresher courses.
Hope that helps.
My SA was Mr Arun D (9900076164).
sdasgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 18:12   #2655
BHPian

Can you or anyone post how the key buttons can be configured via the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post

Fortunately, new key arrived within 3-4 days and after configuring, it works fine. Not sure what went wrong with the electronic key, it worked fine just a day before.. anyways I am happy it got resolved.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2024 at 22:29. Reason: Trimmed quote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks