Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2023, 21:30   #886
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

I believe Toyota is focusing manufacturing VX variants over the ZX and ZX(O) and hence VX is getting delivered more.
sanketdesai82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 22:22   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
I'm also getting mine Hycross Vx 8 Seater Ageha color by end of this month or early next month. Everything is set, except my cheques are yet to be cleared.

Who is your dealer Paritosh ?
Thirty Six Toyota in Faridabad is my dealer. Mine is VX 7 seater pure white which will be delivered soon.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 11:51   #888

I am cancelling my booking today, conveyed this to my SA, over the past few days had multiple follow ups with Toyota as well as the dealer, but I was highly disappointed by the way things are being handled, if I have booked a car with 51k advance, and I am looking forward to spend over 32-33 Lakh OTR, then at least I would not like to be treated this way, by making accessories and add ons over 2 lakh mandatory for me to purchase, no update regarding the delivery schedule, this is pure blackmailing on dealers end and toyota is least bothered about their customers... I had beena toyota fan after using Corolla Diesel for over 10 years, but this experience has left me aghast.....
palashsinghania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 17:37   #889
BHPian

Be positive guys, There is literally no other car till 33 lakhs which comes even close to Innova Hycross. Believe me, I had booked Safari XZA first and then XUV 700 AX7 AT. Both had ther fair share of issues with dealership and customer handling. Toyota's service is unquestionably the best in India. Deliveries of Hycross will pick up speed in March 2023. Wait and watch !
Paritoshkalra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 18:55   #890
BHPian

Got the delivery of VX HyCross AGH BLCK 3 days back.
Nandi Toyota Bangalore was a pleasant experience for me. Had booked just few days after the launch and they promptly called me after the price announce.
Covered around 100 Km in the city and it is a huge shift for me from Duster to some thing gigantic of the size of HyCross.

My observations (Mostly in comparison to the Duster I own)

Positives
Very silent cabin even when the engine is running
Punchy engine- I miss the torque of Duster Diesel engine ,still it is a good drive with eCVT
No Head nod( have driven AMTs a lot) while shifting gears. (Auto)
Very smooth transmission.
Great road presence.
I like the VX seats compared to the Leather ones in Zx.
Plenty of space everywhere
Flat bed rear floor is a boon.
Good year tyres . No major issues with the ride quality.

Needs Improvement.

No steering feedback compared to what I experience in Duster.
No magic carpet suspension like Duster. Still holds good.
2nd row seats have undulations/body roll compared to Duster.
Plastic quality , lack of curtain airbags , screen size (as every review says).
Very flimsy tea tray/bottle tray between middle row seats.
Little difficult for elders to get in to middle row( My mother’s experience)
Cheap looking ambient light and color.
No LED reading lights..all halogen

Overall , I felt it is a quite a big upgrade for me , moving to HyCross. - Small SUV - Duster to a people mover - HyCross!
pradeepkm is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 19:21   #891
BHPian

Requesting team members who have taken delivery - could you please check the owners manual and share info regarding compatibility with E20.

I am sitting on the fence with regards to Crysta (diesel - exhaust issues) vs. HyCross (petrol - E20+ compliance). .
Old 17th February 2023, 19:22   #892

Quote:
Overall , I felt it is a quite a big upgrade for me , moving to HyCross. - Small SUV - Duster to a people mover - HyCross!
Congratulations and best wishes. I have a Duster too and looking forward to the Hycross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
Be positive guys, There is literally no other car till 33 lakhs which comes even close to Innova Hycross.
I agree. Before booking the HyCrosss, I had booked XUV700, Hyundai Tucson, and was about to book the Harrier. I think HyCross ticks a lot of boxes - proven technology, and still fairly future proof for a few years in terms of technology and compliance to emission guidelines, SUVish, good driving dynamics, good set of features ...

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th February 2023 at 19:53. Reason: Back to Back posts merged
Old 17th February 2023, 19:32   #893
BHPian

Got a chance to do a brief test drive of top variant. Here are my impressions:-

1. Car is super silent during parking manuveres. Also, engine is not audible even at 80 kmph cruising. If pedal is hard pressed, engine noise is felt.
2. Horn sound felt weak.
3. Looks really good in white. Ageha black looked more like dark green than black.
4. JBL Music system is adequate. Nowhere close to XUV700 AX7L.
5. Driver seating and bonnet visibility is excellent. Felt similar to Scorpio-N. Has a commanding view.
6. Ingress was smooth. Not too tall like Scorpio-N.
7. Somehow I felt engine power not upto my liking. Maybe because of the eCVT transmission. I liked XUV700 D AT. Missing the diesel torque. EV motor can't replace that torque figures.
8. This will be a good car for long highway drives. Silent and comfortable seating.Taking u turns were quite easy.
9. For tall passengers, the middle row need to be pushed back to make up for the battery under. Better to seat the tall person either in front or third row than give them the middle row seats if there are 7 adult folks to travel.
10. ZX leather seats were not that comfortable. Liked the GX seats better.

Looking forward to the delivery of the car (before Feb month end).

Last edited by jthomas : 17th February 2023 at 19:40.
jthomas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 21:50   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
10. ZX leather seats were not that comfortable. Liked the GX seats better.
I have noticed the same thing ever since I saw both VX and ZX in person. The seating comfort is more in VX/GX fabric seats as compared to leather ones. Somehow the Leather quality and cushioning also seems to be underwhelming in ZX. Rather I found the under thigh support to be more in VX for 2nd row. Additionally seats are firm and the side bolstering holds you well. It will be good for long trips.

Good to hear that test drives have begun. I am still waiting for test drive vehicle to be available in my city.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 23:37   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Many BHPians have already written quite informative posts about their experience with the new Innova HyCross, just adding what I felt about the car as a package, from the perspective of having a 2014 Fortuner at home, actively looking for an upgrade.

The anticipation of checking the car was very high, being a Toyota and more importantly a completely revamped Innova. Having owned a 2005 Petrol Innova till 2014, I have always had a soft-spot for Innovas (yes you read that right, soft-spot for a MPV).

Checked the car out at Lanson Toyota Vellore, TN. Test-drives will start next week, will post the driving experience later. Had an excellent experience at Lanson, beyond my expectations. Everyone person I talked to was extremely courteous, takes the dealership level to the next level. The SA even after I said I was a student and wasn’t buying the car from his dealership went out of his way to answer all my questions and eagerly listen to what I had to say as well!

What I Liked

- A very spacious cabin, even with the Chestnut Brown upholstery the sense of space is all there, thanks to the lighter coloured headliner used.

- The flexibility offered in terms of seating is something very few cars can match!

- Boot space with all rows up is class-leading. The XUV700 and Safari have no boot space with all rows up.

- After opening and closing the feather-light doors of the HyRyder, I had anticipated something similar with the Innova as well. Thankfully the door has proper heft to it, I would say it’s what one expects from a Toyota.

- All disc brakes are a welcome move on an Innova, considering how it has climbed the price ladder.

- VX variant is the VFM of the lot, the seats felt slightly softer and better than those on offer in the ZX trim.

- Flat floor due to the monocoque chassis is a welcome move both for the 2nd row and 3rd row passengers. With this move, finally an Innova gets flat folding 3rd row seats, something that is/was a massive complain of owners with the older Innovas and Fortuners because of the effort required to latch them on the sides.

- Features galore in a Toyota, yes the competition does this to even the staunchest of manufacturers who believe in pure mechanicals than electronics. For people still calling the HyCross less equipped than a XUV7OO, I would like to ask what more do you want or miss?

What I Loathed

- Plastic Quality in general has taken a massive dip, it’s not hard to pin-point the manufacturer behind it. My 2014 Fortuner’s interior quality is better. The long-lasting feeling inside the cabin is something where I feel Toyota could’ve done a much better job! Something as simple as the roof-mounted AC-vents quality was baffling, I’m sure they will just snap off, heck my 2005 Innova had better quality and sturdier roof-mounted AC vents!

- With the gear-lever being moved from its conventional position the lack of space to store your knick-knacks is felt massively! The Crysta is/was known for its practicality throughout the cabin!

- The folding table in the 2nd row of the 7 seater models with cup holders is of horrendous quality! Just to prove a point that we are providing a table, has it been provided. The Crysta had much better quality folding tables and two of them to be specific without compromising on anything. But the reason why the HyCross doesn’t get them is because I’m sure some people must have complained about banging their knees into the plastic tables while hard braking in the Crysta while not wearing seat-belts at the rear.

- The ZX tyres need to be upgraded, no two questions about it! I would like to meet the person at Toyota India who allowed 50 aspect ratios on a MPV/MUV. Did Toyota India learn nothing from the Crysta’s initial 17-inchers fiasco?!

- The tube-light style cheap looking blue lights on the roof look absolutely out of place in the VX variant. Looks more like an Aftermarket Chinese accessory rather than something that is stock from factory! Again the Crysta did a much better job here.

- The seats in the ZX felt harder and less comfier than the VX.

- Not using LEDs for the cabin lights is something unfathomable in 2023 for a car this expensive!

- The 360 degree camera quality leaves a lot to be desired!

- Absence of the knee airbag completely and only 2 airbags for the GX and VX is crazy!

(Note: Have got it confirmed that by June 2023 the other variants (GX and VX) will get 6 airbags, so anyone going for these variants till June, I would suggest wait it out, better than regretting it later unless you really want the car urgently!)

- The ottoman definitely needs some rethinking, only the shorter folks will enjoy it!

- The buttons throughout the cabin need some more tactile feel for sure, especially the ones on the steering wheel!

Pictures of the Interior and Exterior

The VX Trim in Avantgarde Bronze shade:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-0e8d41531cd642edaaeb2f927af849b8.jpeg

The 17 inch wheels are dwarfed by the sheer amount of metal, maybe the plastic cladding that the ZX gets would not be a bad idea on the lower variants:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-8cf25214ac0a494e93b4e145e2107ad5.jpeg

The class-leading boot space with all rows up. Although I would like to meet the specific person at Toyota India who thought it was a good idea to give all black headrests to the front and middle rows and brown for the last row with a black headrest for the 3rd passenger in the last row :
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-6ed54f9f7c434dabaa5103d6bd89c22b.jpeg

The permutation and combinations with such a massive cabin are endless the flat folding 3rd row definitely helps matters:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-167c1c18aa3949958febd3c6cff1c761.jpeg

The sun blinds for the rear passengers was of good quality:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-80c0da80166f4f278ee7a31544c970e4.jpeg

The AC vent quality is sub-par, like I mentioned older Toyotas had it much better:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-38d6b04278f0442ba1edf9ae77a082fe.jpeg

Same goes for the window switches, they are clearly inspired from Maruti Suzuki! No back-lit switches for a 35 Lakh car, Toyota never used to do this kind of cost-cutting ever! :
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-a5da6920a91c45ddb36c1b053b85676f.jpeg

This is by far the best 3rd row I have sat in! Minimum knees up and excellent head and knee room even with the middle row seat set quite the way back. (For reference I am ~5’8) :
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-aa615220f94a4500a861b81f2c4af548.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-b48f748060ca4546a234c0f694adf40a.jpeg

The yellow bulbs just lower the overall ambience of the cabin, again cost-cutting. The less I talk about that small blue tube-light the better:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-4919c8b2d1fe49caa1cff1542196bebc.jpeg

(ZX trim here) The 360 degree camera in action, its quality leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately and that’s the busiest Climate Control display I have seen on any car till date! :
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-82acb298261f42b385a2d538496ff83c.jpeg

The waterfall style centre console containing all the required controls for everything:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-4a2e4bf105cd4e78beacadbabd176f2e.jpeg

The 2nd row seating with legroom in plenty but that battery placement will surely take time to get used to especially the way it acts like a footrest:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-9af71d3a726a43309598619544ee13f9.jpeg

The ottoman function is more of a show-piece for clicking pictures than actually being usable! There are just too many limitations for using it in the intended way it is supposed to, definitely needs more brainstorming:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-cc6db69aa9a34aefb2fa4faf9ffc4b9b.jpeg

The Bootspace again and JBL subwoofer on offer:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-4400c964634d461dbb1f6a055d656f2e.jpeg

Whoever chose the aspect ratio of 50 for a MPV supposed to carry 6/7 passengers definitely needs some brains, but good to see rear-disc brakes finally on an Innova:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-ccdbd067866d4baab0f709534886c1da.jpeg

The 8 way electric driver seat which welcomes you by moving backwards and forwards while getting in and out. Wish the co-driver seat was also electrically adjustable:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-152a06f8b17449ddbd3d84aaef336ae5.jpeg

The leather wrapped steering was soft to hold but the buttons on the steering feel hollow and lack the tactile feel:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-29181f61c2714d87987d3a5f60383a27.jpeg

The roof mounted controls for the lights and individual buttons for the various sunroof functions:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-41e3f490ed9b47bebaf4738c975b013a.jpeg

Scratchy plastics galore, the window switches have definitively been lifted from Maruti Suzuki, but good to see auto-folding mirrors while locking/unlocking the car, something which is/was still absent on the Fortuner and Crysta:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-f58f02242b2c4b77b38650b58bc8e605.jpeg

2 Memory settings for the driver seat, do look at that misaligned plastic trim near the window-line:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-d6c4a02e448e4350b8d5e176be1d1b6a.jpeg

The ZX(O) trim in Blackish Ageha Glass Flake. The HyCross looks like an SUV when viewed head-on:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-00a6f53995e84c82b01fbd3a9c9fef4f.jpeg

Once you reach the side-profile, it shows it’s MPV design:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-d25f6c9807774beeadb70b4c7f47f362.jpeg

The Base GX variant in Avantgarde Bronze and Silver Metallic:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-ac8d8d641c0741fdbf996c8b26282694.jpeg

The Blackish Ageha Glass Flake colour showing it’s true nature in the sunlight:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-3ab256f123134f31aeef9f972b02438a.jpeg

With Toyota no longer giving the blue background Logos for Hybrid models, only way to identify one are the badges on the tailgate and front doors:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-19e9d4744c7c4f49b858bd47c9269df8.jpeg

Conclusion

Overall I would say with the hybrid powertrain this HyCross will redefine what an Innova is/was!

Had gone with some apprehensions about the new HyCross regarding the plastic quality and build quality in general. Build quality was beyond my expectations, plastic quality definitely could be improved. But it’s not a deal breaker at all!

And earlier with the Crysta, Toyota India had no reason for not offering a 8 seater with the ZX variant, well with the HyCross they have got a reason to deny the 8 seater. And it’s the placement of the panoramic sunroof and the seatbelt housing for the middle passenger on the roof in the 2nd row. Can have only one, sunroof or middle passenger seatbelt hence the ZX HyCross will not be getting the bench seat in the distant future as well.

Would I replace my Fortuner with it? Head says the HyCross but the heart is stuck on the Fortuner 4X4. Will be a tough decision to make for sure, something that can be only said after I drive the Hybrid powertrain next week.

And I would like to end my small experience with this, I told the SA that the Crysta has better seats in terms of having just the right amount of comfort and cushioning, his simple answer with a smile was “Sir, the Crysta is a Crysta !” This is definitely Toyota India’s Qualis 2.0 move with the HyCross and Crysta where the customers, SAs and dealerships all want the Crysta and only the Crysta!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 18th February 2023 at 00:00.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 11:11   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
Hi- any idea what discounts are being offered on the Meridian & in which showroom ?
I heard around 3 lakhs (this month only) depending on which trim. We didn't spend much time there, literally checked out the back seat and left.
VivOverland is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 12:45   #897
BHPian

Both Crysta ZX AT and Hycross VX have many similarities. Both do not have sunroof. Both have 17 inches alloys. Crysta ZX AT used to come at 33 lakhs on road while Hycross VX comes at 28 lakhs on road. However, Hycross delivers more mileage. VX has 360 degree cam while ZX Crysta had leather seats. In 4 months, when 6 airbags rule comes in effect for Hycross, prices will shoot up. I am sure VX will cost 30-32 on road and ZX(O) will cost close to 38 lakhs on road. The prices will shoot up soon ! Remember- Current prices are just introductory prices So please hold on to your current booking.

Last edited by Paritoshkalra : 18th February 2023 at 12:48.
Old 18th February 2023, 13:02   #898

I agree.
My booking receipt shows 12 to 18 months for delivery but within 2 weeks I got a call from the sales guy checking on my readiness to take the car.
ARJ_BALA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 14:21   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Both Crysta ZX AT and Hycross VX have many similarities.
I agree with this point.

If anyone likes to drive and highways are the majority travel, then go for crysta it comes with manual transmission, RWD, and a good diesel engine.

If anyone just wants to drive or be driven around in cities then go for Hycross you will get a really good mileage of around 20. And automatic transmission makes the drive peaceful.

Mileage wise cost on highways will almost be same taking into account the difference in price between petrol and diesel.

Only the airbags seems to be a major difference the leather seats can always be changed.
jerin.v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 15:06   #900
BHPian

Quote:
The prices will shoot up soon ! Current prices are just introductory prices. So please hold on to your current booking.
Is any price protection being assured by TKM/ dealers for those who have booked Hycross early, in case the delivery occurs after price revision ? For Crysta, Fortuner etc it was not there and this was listed among the booking terms.
JayG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks