Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2023, 05:16   #766
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Worst part is this question - how low is the low profile? It is 225/50/R18.
OMG, I didn't know it was this bad until I saw this number! This has a thinner sidewall than the stock tires of a Swift Dzire!! (The Swift Dzire ZDi comes with 185/65 R15s, and that tyre's sidewall height is 119mm vs 112mm on the Hycross ZX.)

Calculator : https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/
Source : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...de-thread.html (Maruti Dzire 3rd-gen : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
rkv_2401 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 07:25   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbot View Post
[

I will try to get a pic of this if possible. It says 6.7/ avg last 100 Kms. Hoping engine will do better once it gets the first service. The car for sure doesn't seem to be for performance.
I might be totally wrong here but if the system is showing 6.7L/100km, then it translates to roughly 15 kmpl. I believe for a big 2.0L engine which hasn't been been run in, that's pretty good mileage.
Doonite is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 07:25   #768
BHPian

Quote:
It says 6.7/ avg last 100 Kms.
Just to check, as this had happened with me too.
Is it displayed as 6.7 L/ 100km ? If so it will be 14.9 kmpl. The default mileage display was in L/100 km in Crysta. I had to change the units to km/L in settings to avoid attempting mental math.

Apologies if this isn’t the case.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th February 2023 at 08:14. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
JayG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 07:39   #769
BHPian

Quote:

I will try to get a pic of this if possible. It says 6.7/ avg last 100 Kms.

Is it 6.7L / 100 km?
Meaning 6.7 liters were used for the last 100km, in that case the mileage is around 100(km)/6.7(liters) = 14.9 kmpl .
14.9 mileage is really good. It would be great if you can confirm

This is a picture of Innova Zenix lower model, couldn't find another pic. In this it shows 14.9 liters for 100 km that is 100(km)/14.9(liters) = 6.7 kmpl .
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-1.png
jerin.v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 09:11   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Is it displayed as 6.7 L/ 100km ? If so it will be 14.9 kmpl. The default mileage display was in L/100 km in Crysta. I had to change the units to km/L in settings to avoid attempting mental math.

Apologies if this isn’t the case.

Engineering Explained explains (!) Why litre per 100km is a better measure to measure & compare mileage
sridhu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 10:25   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
OMG, I didn't know it was this bad until I saw this number! This has a thinner sidewall than the stock tires of a Swift Dzire!! (The Swift Dzire ZDi comes with 185/65 R15s, and that tyre's sidewall height is 119mm vs 112mm on the Hycross ZX.)

Calculator : https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/
Source : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...de-thread.html (Maruti Dzire 3rd-gen : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
Toyota is playing to the gallery - just like everyone else. The wheel well is small and hence they had to lower the profile to show off R18 alloys. Majority falls for this tactic. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time since most of the people won't be precise on the tyre pressure and runs either with under or over inflated tyres.
Old 10th February 2023, 11:13   #772
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
https://Youtu.be/oLQmwOX6Xds

Engineering Explained explains (!) Why litre per 100km is a better measure to measure & compare mileage
Most people don't operate fleets and even if they do operate one, they don't intend to take the fleet the same distance together. So this is as meaningless as it gets. The purpose of measuring fuel efficiency for most people is to compare between two vehicles and choose one amongst them (all other things being the same). Thus kmpl or mpg is what is helpful to the individual.
srh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:12   #773

The picture shown in the post seems to be from a non-hybrid car. The Hybrid version does not have the tachometer. So you cant compare the mileage shown here with a hybrid model.
kayarem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:46   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Most people don't operate fleets and even if they do operate one, they don't intend to take the fleet the same distance together. So this is as meaningless as it gets. The purpose of measuring fuel efficiency for most people is to compare between two vehicles and choose one amongst them (all other things being the same). Thus kmpl or mpg is what is helpful to the individual.
What the video mentions is that even for that comparison, the l/100km gives a linear measure which gives a rational comparison between 2 numbers than the other ( km/l ). Km/l varies non linearly and hence our perception about how better one number is over the other could be misrepresented.

In fact, team-bhp has a good discussion (Measuring fuel economy- KMPL VS Liters/100 kms - Which is better?) on this as well.

PS: i still use km/l as the unit even though I understand that the other unit is more rational. But again, that's because I'm used to that unit from my childhood.

Last edited by amalji : 10th February 2023 at 13:51.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 16:01   #775
BHPian

Has anyone here evaluated Meridian as an alternate to Hycross? Any perspective on pros and cons of Meridian vs. Hycrosss.

Thanks!
Old 10th February 2023, 17:27   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
... Thus kmpl or mpg is what is helpful to the individual.
Perhaps you should rewatch it. And try to understand what he is saying

Or not.

Whatever floats your boat.
sridhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 17:51   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy1213 View Post
Has anyone here evaluated Meridian as an alternate to Hycross? Any perspective on pros and cons of Meridian vs. Hycrosss.

Thanks!
I tried the top spec diesel and was impressed till I started driving it. it has a very lethargic automatic that makes it feel underpowered until it shifts to about 4th or 5th. Pushing the gas just makes the noises go up with very little grunt.

The interior quality is pretty good but the rear seats are rather cramped. Combine this with the expensive service costs and unreliable nature of Jeep products made me give it up entirely. If something is going to be a pain in the ass to own and maintain, the least it should do is put a smile on my face when I step on the gas.

Hycross is very spacious, perhaps the most spacious out of all the new crossovers in the 20-40L segment like the XUV700 and Safari, and with a useable boot even with all 3 rows up. Interior quality is not that good. The switches especially feel like they come from some 5L hatchback. You do get all the features of a next generation product like radar cruise control, auto braking, auto highbeam, seamless switching between electric motor and engine ; aka no issues with auto-start-stop making your air conditioner blow hot air etc.

Toyota has been making hybrids for decades now so there is nothing to go wrong here. Hopefully, it's going to be the usual boring toyota ownership experience where other than the money paid upfront for the car, there isn't going to be much in terms of big unknown expenses.
Cresterk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 19:58   #778

So i had the fortune (sarcasm intended) to see the Hycross in person today. Got to see the VX variant. Had seen it once before as well but since that day there were so many people hogging the car, it was almost impossible to make heads and tails.

So my two cents on the car are :-

1.) Interior does not seem worth the sticker price, and i say that without a doubt.

2.) However, at the same time i must say that the people who have been toyota loyalists should concede that interiors have always been bad in toyotas (atleast the fortuner or Innova)

3.) Coming to the quality, I should say that many observations have been made in this forum and they are true. And ill give you one up. the weakest piece of plastic is at the bottom of the gear lever and it flexes like a bisleri bottle. (The plastic comprising the gear indications)

4.) However, i could see a fortuner by the side. And ill tell you this the fit and finish are just the same. In some places the plastics may feel not well put together (and by some i sincerely mean a few odd places) but on the overall, the interior is pretty much the same as the fortuner. (old, dated, same kind of plastic finish). However in material rigidity the fortuner would score a bit over the innova.

5.) Coming to the Steering Mounted Control buttons, my 2011 Honda city has a much better feel/fit/finish/strength than the buttons provided on the hycross.

6.) Ingress Egress is decent. Though the car is lower than the crysta, shorter people may have to step into the cabin partially due to the distance of the seat from the opening. They seem to have a provided space for keeping your foot to get into the third row.

7.) Third Row folded hampers the amount of displacement of the middle row and will restrict the distance you can pull the seat back. So if someone intends to make use of the 'Ottoman' you will have to keep the third row up. Even for not so tall people. However, if you choose not to use the ottoman the hycross can give some decent legroom.

8.) No great thigh support in the third row (This honestly isnt a shocker) Merely providing space doesnt translate into comfortable seating. I feel they should have placed the batter pack under the third row. it would give some height which coupled with some modifications to the seat could have solved the issue with the thigh support. However, thats speculation at my end considering the downward sloping shape of the car. But placement of batteries under third row would have been best. The Hyryder keeps them in the boot , so this wasnt a hard thing to manage i feel?

9.) i think all of my fellow BHPians will just hate the ambient roof light on offer. Reminds me of the good old philips tubelight. However, cant call it that as it is made of separate bulbs. On pressing the ambient light button multiple times you can alter the brightness. The transition between brightness is rough, clearly shows multiple leds (i'd like to think) under the tube rather than a continuous strip of light. And maybe the crysta worked similarly. But the bulbs were not in direct eyesight. They look like a sore, and once you notice the bulbs theres no going back to seeing it as light bar. And if you have someone in the car, to turn it on you will have to go through all stages of brightness to aachieve highest brightness and thats just embarrassing.

10.) With seats folded down the boot space seems adequate. not much complaints there

11.) Tyres look better in person than in pictures. But considering the new shape of the car (it certainly looks like a Carnival Rival, isnt going to be very synonymous with an SUV, probably apart from the toughness the Body on Frame Chassis construction kept this appearance under veils.

12.) I had test driven the XUV700 ax7 luxury and had booked it. Was almost about to get delivery, but cancelled it for the hycross. In my honest opinion, XUV 700 is a drivers car. keeping aside the engine the seating position is very engaging, innova seems to miss out here.

13.) Doors and panels felt okay, some places there was slight whisper of the maruti culture attempting to creep its way into this. But honestly speaking, its nothing to complain per se. True loyalists never approved of the Maruti tieup did they? hahah

14.) The crysta white looked great, but in the hycross white somehow manages to reduce dimensions always, considering a lower ground clearance white just doesnt play in its favour. ( i understand people may feel otherwise, this is just my opinion)

... i am only addressing some concern points these views can be read in conjunction with other reviews to give a more holistic feel.

What i can predict of the future with Toyota SA's -

1.) i had the worst experience with my SA. I was the third booking in my showroom, the guy who had negotiated with me has left and the rest of the staff is just not bothered to deal with you.

2.) There certainly foulplay as today i have been informed that i am waiting behind 40 individuals and my wait time could be exceeded by 6 months. (i had paid booking amount on 23rd November -2 days before even the launch)

3.) The SA clearly told me to cancel the booking, in case this was not acceptable to me. This is just extremely unprofessional. I have raised an issue with the GM, but honestly i dont feel theres going to be a solution.

4.) Considering this, please be ready for much arrogance and rudeness at behest of toyota's SA's.

5.) I feel this response is stimulated by demand, so there may be a possibility of further cost cutting measures by TKM as were taken by Mahindra , removal of diffusers, etc. and not giving second key of the car, etc.

Hope this helps
ak_DL9C is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 21:11   #779

Took delivery of probably the first ZX(O) super white in entire of Delhi/NCR today. Have owned both Fortuner(2010) & Innova(2011) for more then a decade and had to let go of both in 2021 b’coz of the 10 year diesel ban rule here in NCR. Not sharing any detailed feedback of the new acquisition but overall I (read family, friends, neighbours ) am happy with the purchase .
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-ac2b194b830f4568a36cae17055c7b0b.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-7788a034056a4950b4d0e7de64355824.jpeg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th February 2023 at 07:15. Reason: Please only use the Team-BHP emojis, as others do not always render :)
vishal rathee is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 21:41   #780
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you. Looks beautiful in white. Wishing you lakhs of happy miles.

Most Viewed