Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 21:17   #6841
BHPian

Break fluid leakage

I was on a trip to Konkan region (Ratnagiri Vengurla) when out of nowhere dashboard showed me "Break fluid level insufficient, Do not proceed". This message came in only for a second and vanished thereafter. I thought it's a aberration as the message never came back. I continued further.
However, the next day, I noticed same message for a second and gone the next. And it started coming in very frequently. I also noticed that the message came in only when I made a left turn and no message came on Right turn.
I was worried as I had to do 200+ kms through twisty and ghat sections. I stopped the car and opened the bonnet to see there is some leakage for sure. But break fluid reservoir was not completely empty. Break efficiency was not hampered as I break tested few times. I kept the speed around 40kmph. Fiat service centre wasn't nearby (100km vicinity).
I reached a town and found a mechanic who confirmed the leakage but said it's not major. He asked me to top-up Dot4 fluid. I readily bought a bottle and topped up. Error message was gone. I continued to Kolhapur and showed it at authorised Fiat service station. SA confirmed the leakage and said break fluid reservoir and connecting pipe needs replacing. They didn't had it in store though and would take few days to order one.

Can somebody confirm if break fluid reservoir and the pipe comes as a single assembly? Cost confirmed by SA at Fiat Kolhapur was around Rs 1300.
Old 13th May 2018, 07:34   #6842
Senior - BHPian

Re: Break fluid leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

Can somebody confirm if break fluid reservoir and the pipe comes as a single assembly? Cost confirmed by SA at Fiat Kolhapur was around Rs 1300.
https://www.99rpm.com/fiat/brake-boo...ire-punto.html

You can try to check 99rpm.
The brake fluid reservoir itself cost 1200. Which pipe is being referred to? There is a pipe that can be ordered separately as well. Pls check the above 99rpm link.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 15:57   #6843
BHPian

Folks - can you pls let me know what this indicator is flashing for? What does it mean ?
Old 25th April 2019, 18:48   #6844
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

My car was guzzling oil. Got it checked. Engine slips had got cut. Had to get the engine opened up and repaired. Spent 30k. Changed the front and rear struts as well. Car has clocked 105000 kms and its back to its good days.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:25   #6845
Senior - BHPian

Got my annual service done at 139k kms, total cost came up to 19000, around two third of this was for repairs and replacement. The car is 8 years old so I think it's OK, first fog lamp replacement after all these years.

Vecto is still going, but the traffic predictably is far less than before, it was easy to get an appointment. Glad to have the car back after two days of taxi and bus rides.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:25   #6846
BHPian

Hi - I have used Mobil 1 delvac 5w40 in my Punto. If I switch over to Shell Helix ultra 5w40, will there be any adverse impact? Both are synthetic oils.
Old 22nd June 2019, 14:09   #6847
BANNED

I use Shell helix Ultra on my Fabia Diesel and it is the recommended oil for all VAG cars. I don't see why it shouldn't be perfect for the Fiat Diesel.
Old 22nd June 2019, 15:12   #6848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I use Shell helix Ultra on my Fabia Diesel and it is the recommended oil for all VAG cars. I don't see why it shouldn't be perfect for the Fiat Diesel.
Ok, the reason for my question was since I will be changing brands and there might also be a small change in specs between the two oils.
Old 22nd June 2019, 15:38   #6849
BANNED

To be honest, there is too much that is made of the difference between the oils. There is very little to choose between them except small additives which have a barely discernable effect in normal operation. Any synthetic 5w40 is good enough for your car's engine. If you choose to use semi or non synthetic oils, the replacement frequency will be higher, that's all. In climatic conditions such as ours even using oils with a slightly different viscosity won't affect the engine at all.
A funny example:- A friend of mine dropped me back after lunch at his place. I casually enquired about the location and quality of their Alto's service centre. I was shocked to know that the car had not been serviced in three years. When we stopped, I pulled out the dip stick which came out very reluctantly. There was a thick tar like gummy semi-solid at the end of the dipstick. I checked twice to confirm. Their excuse was that the car hadn't run much in the three years since they had moved to the city.
In all petrolhead indignation I asked them to replace the oil immediately. They coolly drove off and informed a month later that they had indeed taken my advice to have the car serviced. No damage at all. While I don't recommend it at all, it is an example of how robust engines are and how good lubricants are.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 17:08   #6850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Hi - I have used Mobil 1 delvac 5w40 in my Punto. If I switch over to Shell Helix ultra 5w40, will there be any adverse impact? Both are synthetic oils.
Shouldn't be a problem. I switched from Selenia to Shell Helix Ultra two years ago and haven't faced a problem.
Old 12th August 2019, 21:41   #6851
BHPian

Cross posting this from another thread..
Quote:
A friend of mine is keen on acquiring a Punto but it seems like the car is not available anywhere nearby. He tried calling up all dealers in Karnataka but no success. He is ready to explore options if it's available in neighboring states. Anyone has any idea about availability in other states?
Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12th August 2019, 23:02   #6852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post

Please convince him to look at something else, the brand has shut down and service and parts will be a nightmare. A car can't be bought like a piece of furniture, there are plenty of better options in the segment and they are from companies that are committed to the market.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 10:31   #6853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
I am an owner of Punto for the past 8 years and I love every bit of the car's driving dynamics even today. But, given the scenario that Fiat engines in the Punto/Linea are not going to be BS-VI compliant, I think they will be phased out by the end of this year. I think even now the dealer might just clear out their stocks and nothing more. So, eventually the model, even if procured from a neighboring state, might not be manufactured very recently. And, needless to say that the resale value would take a mighty hit.

Spare parts availability might not be an issue (though might take some time in procuring some) for at least next 5 years.

I agree that it is difficult to see neither the solid build nor the excellent chassis and suspension setup of Punto in any other hatchbacks (south of 10 lakh) currently in the market. But, is it worth in today's age? Well, it depends on the buyer's preference.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:20   #6854
Senior - BHPian

It's been almost 10 years since I bought the 1.4 Grande Punto after reading GTO's review on Team BHP. Ten years and 1,10,000 KMs later, I had to bid farewell , albeit with a heavy heart.

I loved the driving dynamics of the hatch and it was unlike any other I'd driven before. Of late, spares availability had become an issue and constant niggles led me to make this decision. Nexa gave me a great deal on the car - Almost 20% of the buying price that I gave in 2009, which prompted me to go ahead and replace it with the S Cross Diesel, which is a great car imho.

Good luck to all those who are still sticking with this hatch. If it isn't giving you any problems till now, chances are you'll enjoy the peace of mind for a few more years.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:00   #6855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
It's been almost 10 years since I bought the 1.4 Grande Punto after reading GTO's review on Team BHP. Ten years and 1,10,000 KMs later, I had to bid farewell , albeit with a heavy heart.

I loved the driving dynamics of the hatch and it was unlike any other I'd driven before. Of late, spares availability had become an issue and constant niggles led me to make this decision. Nexa gave me a great deal on the car - Almost 20% of the buying price that I gave in 2009, which prompted me to go ahead and replace it with the S Cross Diesel, which is a great car imho.

Good luck to all those who are still sticking with this hatch. If it isn't giving you any problems till now, chances are you'll enjoy the peace of mind for a few more years.
I think Fiat should personally thank GTO for that stonker review of the GP. I think I have read it 100 times over the years again and again. Most of the GPs on the road would have been sold due to that review I think .

Indeed S-Cross is a great car. Look at the cars in its viscinity of price range & its not just great - its a real value for money. Offers superb bang for the buck. Gives a lot more car for the price compared to peers.

And indeed - the FIAT DNA lives on in your garage with the legendary bullet proof 1.3 MJD under the hood. You drove the rare 1.4 FIRE in the GP, now you get to own another gem from FIAT. Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. I used this engine for 9 years. It gave 0 trouble and still has one of the best off the mark performances from 0 on an incline in traffic. Just clutch modulation.

Its sad to see this 1.3SDE go. People hate it now simply because its too old. Nobody managed to make an engine that powerful and torquee and almost petrol like rev happy in just 1248cc of displacement. Its a legend. Sad that FIAT didn't think of making a BSVI compliant 1.5 sibling of this engine. That would have revolutionalized the segment again!

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd August 2019 at 10:11.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks