Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 13:47   #2281
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Friends, need a quick response on this :

Today morning felt a metal chiming like noise from the front right wheel. Suspecting a worn out brake pad( at 20,500kms) drove straight to the Chevy A.S.S.
As suspected, turned out the brake pads have worn out. The A.S.S. has given an estimate of around INR 2,000 for replacing 4 pads. However, while i was at the service center i noticed work being carried out on only one wheel(front right). I might be mistaken but i think a single disk brake will have 2 pads, 4 pads would be needed for replacing both the front left and front right pads. However, work was being carried out on only the front right. Had to run to office leaving the car at the A.S.S. and so the queries:
1. Is the price quote fair, i was expecting something around 1.5k?(4 pads + fittings)
2. What if they only swap the front right? Safety issues?
3. Assuming the car will be ready by evening when i return how to check if both the right and left pads have been changed?
4. Pads wearing off at 20k kms seems a bit too early judging from the topic discussed here about the longevity of brake pads ( the general consensus is that they should last 25k-30k kms atleast). Anything else that needs checking, should i go for an alignment again?

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:52   #2282
BHPian

Guys, Yesterday I ran in to a big surprise.
I purchase Osram Night breaker plus yesterday,and I was replacing the stock bulb.After replacing I noticed that stock buls looked different from each other.On a closer look,I found out right side bulb was 'OSRAM' (which had the same model number as the one I purchased,but phisically it was different) and left side was having normal PHILIPS halogens.

Wondering why they mixed two different bulbs on same car.Did any of your car have something similar?

I am surprised to see this.
Old 8th December 2011, 23:06   #2283
Senior - BHPian

So I got my car back from servicing from Nikhil and I am not at all happy with their servicing. I also suspect one of them has gone for a joyride in my car.

Does anyone know who I can email at GM India in order to make a formal complaint as this is the 3rd time I have gotten my car serviced by Nikhil and it is just as unsatisfactory as the 1st two times
Old 9th December 2011, 15:21   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
So I got my car back from servicing from Nikhil and I am not at all happy with their servicing. I also suspect one of them has gone for a joyride in my car.

Does anyone know who I can email at GM India in order to make a formal complaint as this is the 3rd time I have gotten my car serviced by Nikhil and it is just as unsatisfactory as the 1st two times
gmi.cac@gm.com Contact Topolino for more details
Old 10th December 2011, 13:29   #2285
BHPian

Just got an update from a Gas Conv Centre here. OE BRC Muliti point Sequential Injection Gas Kit is available for 38K for the entire kit with RC endorsement. Since its an OE kit, they says the SVC will honor the warranty which am not sure and yet to be verified with the SVC.

The toroidal tank can take upto 32Lts which will give a non stop drive of 400-450 KM (14KM Kpl). So the running cost will be 2.78 per KM on the basis of 39/ltr IIRC. Its nearly half of my present running cost which is approximately 5 per KM (14Kpl). Next week I'll make a visit to this shop and give an update.

What say guys? Is it worth to go for? Fuel prices are rocketing which makes me to go for that. I haven't made up my mind to sell it off a 1.5yr old car just because of low FE as my monthly usage is less than 600KMs.

Appreciate if any Gas beat owners come forward for a testimony. Am thinking of to go for a TD of Beat LPG version to get an idea.

Here's the site of the gas conv dealer
City Gas Car Consultants - lpg retrofitters, kottayam,cochin,kerala, India, auto lpg, lpg cars, lpg car conversions, lpg conversion kit
Old 10th December 2011, 21:52   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Just got an update from a Gas Conv Centre here. OE BRC Muliti point Sequential Injection Gas Kit is available for 38K for the entire kit with RC endorsement. Since its an OE kit, they says the SVC will honor the warranty which am not sure and yet to be verified with the SVC.

The toroidal tank can take upto 32Lts which will give a non stop drive of 400-450 KM (14KM Kpl). So the running cost will be 2.78 per KM on the basis of 39/ltr IIRC. Its nearly half of my present running cost which is approximately 5 per KM (14Kpl). Next week I'll make a visit to this shop and give an update.

What say guys? Is it worth to go for? Fuel prices are rocketing which makes me to go for that. I haven't made up my mind to sell it off a 1.5yr old car just because of low FE as my monthly usage is less than 600KMs.

Appreciate if any Gas beat owners come forward for a testimony. Am thinking of to go for a TD of Beat LPG version to get an idea.

Here's the site of the gas conv dealer
City Gas Car Consultants - lpg retrofitters, kottayam,cochin,kerala, India, auto lpg, lpg cars, lpg car conversions, lpg conversion kit
Where do they fix the injectors?
If it is on the manifold, then IMO definitely warranty will get void.
Are they using the OE parts for retrofit?
Expect FE 80-90% of what you get for petrol.
If the toroidal tank is 32 ltr tank, you can fill only upto max 30 ltr.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:07   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Where do they fix the injectors?
If it is on the manifold, then IMO definitely warranty will get void.
Are they using the OE parts for retrofit?
Expect FE 80-90% of what you get for petrol.
If the toroidal tank is 32 ltr tank, you can fill only upto max 30 ltr.
Oops. thats too technical for me Mind if I make a call when I visit them? I guess you can ask more authentically.

Thats what they says, OE kit is from BRC. I called up the service and clarified about the warranty part, I need to give a last kiss on it once I go for it GM has not yet started retrofits, as long as its from GM they can't approve it.

Me too expecting the same approximately 12-14, but the guy assures it will return the best another marketing tactics.

That I've to re check it, but he said it will take 32 lts approx 16Kgs. But how come out of 32 to 30lts? I heard that we can go for 80% of the storage capacity so it will be only 26Lts approx. Am I missing something?

OT: Any idea how to work with the ELM 327 + torque? I've tried with that but the app says the device is not paired. But in the BT menu, the device is shown as paired. Its going to be waste of money.
Old 11th December 2011, 23:00   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Oops. thats too technical for me Mind if I make a call when I visit them? I guess you can ask more authentically.

Thats what they says, OE kit is from BRC. I called up the service and clarified about the warranty part, I need to give a last kiss on it once I go for it GM has not yet started retrofits, as long as its from GM they can't approve it.

Me too expecting the same approximately 12-14, but the guy assures it will return the best another marketing tactics.

That I've to re check it, but he said it will take 32 lts approx 16Kgs. But how come out of 32 to 30lts? I heard that we can go for 80% of the storage capacity so it will be only 26Lts approx. Am I missing something?

OT: Any idea how to work with the ELM 327 + torque? I've tried with that but the app says the device is not paired. But in the BT menu, the device is shown as paired. Its going to be waste of money.
You can call me any time.
My earlier Santro was fitted with a toroidal tank. You are right - it is 80%.
Get every aspect verified before you go for it. Ask them to show any of the lpg converted Beat and test drive if possible.
Try to connect ELM327 with OBDScope in a Symbian phone also. Or try connecting with a laptop before you conclude anything.
Old 12th December 2011, 01:16   #2289
BHPian

White rabbit
Hi
Repeating my earlier postof 8th dec:
"Could you please guide specially regarding the oil used
White-rabbit
hi and thanks your response
Had indeed complained about FE.
In fact I had put up the FE on a different thread.Repeating

Oct 2010 Udaipur Bharuch 19.13(no 5th gear/no ac )
Nikhil adjusted the clutch June 2011
Sep 2011 Chittaurgarh Bharuch 16.32(wherever possible 5th gear no ac)
Rattangarh Kishengarh 13.13(very low)(5th gear no ac)
Rawatsar rattangarh 16 (drove over 110KMPH 5th gear no ac)
Bharuch bulsar 18.28(5th gear no ac)"

As I dont drive in bombay Fe report will have to wait until go on a long cross country drive.
Thanks once again regards
PS The oil change was done using Quartz 7000 GMO 4B3L75(is 3L75 the quantity?)
Their manual specifies 5W 30 API SM GF 4 is it the same?The authorized did the servicing
Also to avoid knocking have been asked to use system G

Last edited by faustus77 : 12th December 2011 at 01:21.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:27   #2290
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Friends, need a quick response on this :

Today morning felt a metal chiming like noise from the front right wheel. Suspecting a worn out brake pad( at 20,500kms) drove straight to the Chevy A.S.S.
As suspected, turned out the brake pads have worn out. The A.S.S. has given an estimate of around INR 2,000 for replacing 4 pads. However, while i was at the service center i noticed work being carried out on only one wheel(front right). I might be mistaken but i think a single disk brake will have 2 pads, 4 pads would be needed for replacing both the front left and front right pads. However, work was being carried out on only the front right. Had to run to office leaving the car at the A.S.S. and so the queries:
1. Is the price quote fair, i was expecting something around 1.5k?(4 pads + fittings)
2. What if they only swap the front right? Safety issues?
3. Assuming the car will be ready by evening when i return how to check if both the right and left pads have been changed?
4. Pads wearing off at 20k kms seems a bit too early judging from the topic discussed here about the longevity of brake pads ( the general consensus is that they should last 25k-30k kms atleast). Anything else that needs checking, should i go for an alignment again?

Thanks.
You would have got the car by now.

Price is I guess Ok - it is what it is in an authorized centre and will be lower outside. (outside it could be less than 1300 including installation) But it is best to get this done at the authorized centre as brake pads though very easy to replace are very critical safety components.

They will replace both front pads not just on one side. Brake pads are always replaced in pairs.

You can make out if the pads are new on both sides by a physical inspection where in you see if the pads appear to be of roughly the same thickness from the side. (It is possible to see this even on a mounted pad.) Use a mobile flash light to check.

Alignment is not required on brake pad change. You should see if the brakes are effective first thing before leaving the service centre but i guess it is a bit too late for that, and if the brake oil is filled upto the correct level. Normally when one changes brake bads a bit of oil needs to be dripped off as a new pad is thicker than the old one and results in oil that has dipped in the oil reservoir at times rising above the max level. The other thing to check is that the car brakes in a straight line at speeds above 40 kmph - does not pull to any one side due to a lock up.

Wearing out in 20,000 kms can happen if one uses the brakes too much or drives constantly in traffic. But for a manual transmission car ideally brake pads should last a min of 30,000 - 40,000 kms this can be as low as 20,000 kms in an Automatic transimission vehicle. That said have heard of many vehicles (like Linea) having worn out brake pads as early as 20,000 kms but this an aberation and not normal.

Last edited by ACM : 12th December 2011 at 10:31.
Old 12th December 2011, 13:00   #2291
BHPian

Sorry for the delayed update, here it goes :

Both the disc pads were changed( worn out parts handed over). The replacement part(will update with part number) was billed at Rs.938 ( a set of 4 brake pads) and for brake bleeding and labor charges an additional Rs.120 & Rs.225 was charged.
The regular 20k service was done simultaneously. The pollen filter was replaced at a cost of approx Rs.450( worn out part handed over) and the regular paid service charges of Rs.700 was billed.
Its only after the service that i realized that i have been running with somewhat inadequate braking power. The braking has substantially improved after the replacement. Yet to subject the brakes to the extremes as i have been advised to follow some sort of run-in period norms to allow the new pads to settle.

Total bill including taxes and levies was well south of Rs.3,000 which i find to be very reasonable.
Car was delivered the same day in promised time and in pristine cosmetic condition.
Yet another top notch A.S.S. experience. Thumbs up for Longia Motors(Kolkata) and GM A.$.$.

Last edited by mi2n : 12th December 2011 at 13:12.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:59   #2292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
You can call me any time.
My earlier Santro was fitted with a toroidal tank. You are right - it is 80%.
Get every aspect verified before you go for it. Ask them to show any of the lpg converted Beat and test drive if possible.
Try to connect ELM327 with OBDScope in a Symbian phone also. Or try connecting with a laptop before you conclude anything.

Got some info on BRC Multi point sequential Injection system:

http://www.autotech-lpg.co.uk/docume...20brochure.pdf

BRC is one of the best Gas conversion kits from Italy and have good client base all over the world. Anybody have dealt with City Gas Car Centre at Cochin and Kottayam?

Warranty will be void once I go for this, its confirmed from the horse's mouth: GM service engineer Mr. Arun Ram. These injectors will be placed into the manifold and they (GM) will not honor the warranty once its tampered.

Now the question is whether I should void the warranty just by doing this or not. There's 14 more months remaining in the warranty period. But the fuel prices and low FE makes me to think the other way. What you think guys? Pls advice.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:21   #2293
BHPian

My car's steering keeps shivering when I touch 100-120 km/hr.
Any idea,why this is happening?
Old 12th December 2011, 21:59   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the question is whether I should void the warranty just by doing this or not. There's 14 more months remaining in the warranty period. But the fuel prices and low FE makes me to think the other way. What you think guys? Pls advice.
Have you done a detailed cost analysis for the change over to LPG, especially when you are doing just 600 km per month? Auto LPG prices are lose to 41/- per liter as per View Prices.

Assuming an FE of 14 kmpl with petrol and 12 kmpl with LPG, in one year you will be spending -
600 km x 12 months x 70 rs per liter / 14 kmpl = 36000/- (on petrol)
and
600 km x 12 months x 41 rs per liter / 12 kmpl = 24600/- (on LPG)
Which comes to a meager 11400/- per year when you have to spend close to 35k on the conversion, making the warranty void, eating up the boot space, and adding weight to the car. Though on performance, I see a mixed review even on our forums - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...6-20-a-10.html

One another question. Since the Beat do have an LPG model, will the dealer themselves arrange for fitting an OEM kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
My car's steering keeps shivering when I touch 100-120 km/hr.
Any idea,why this is happening?
Exactly what I am facing in my Beat, if by shivering you mean wobble (steering steers left and right by a bit but really fast) and not just vibration. My SA has told this could be due to wheel balancing and told he has corrected in my last visit to the service center. Alas, I was not able to test out if the problem is corrected, for I could not find much roads to travel speeds north of 100 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The pollen filter was replaced at a cost of approx Rs.450( worn out part handed over) and the regular paid service charges of Rs.700 was billed.
Though I have no idea on the cost of break pads, I remember (if my memory is good) from old posts of this thread, that the pollen filter costs around 1200/-. How come you got it for 450/-?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Oct 2010 Udaipur Bharuch 19.13(no 5th gear/no ac )
Nikhil adjusted the clutch June 2011
Sep 2011 Chittaurgarh Bharuch 16.32(wherever possible 5th gear no ac)
Rattangarh Kishengarh 13.13(very low)(5th gear no ac)
Rawatsar rattangarh 16 (drove over 110KMPH 5th gear no ac)
Bharuch bulsar 18.28(5th gear no ac)"

PS The oil change was done using Quartz 7000 GMO 4B3L75(is 3L75 the quantity?)
Their manual specifies 5W 30 API SM GF 4 is it the same?The authorized did the servicing
Is that not pretty good FE? I have been getting anywhere from 9 kmpl to 17 kmpl depending on the road / driving / A/C conditions.

Regarding the oil, please refer to older posts (may be just a page back) by Topolino. If I remember correctly, it is the same oil that Chevrolet has recommended.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 23:42   #2295
BHPian

Thoma and whiterabbit
Hi
The difference is between 19.13(no 5th gear) and 13.13(wherever possible used 5th gear)That is a lot.Both cases no AC
I read Topolino's post.Could you please clarify.He has mentioned Mobil but not specified the grade whereas here Quartz is used.Is it one and the same?

Between rawatsar and rattangarh drove between 110and 120 KMPH.Did not notice any wobbling or vibration.The road was very good.
Regards

Most Viewed