Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 11:45   #3751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I have a 2010 Beat Petrol LT which still serves me well. I'm planning to sell this off in 2020 with a very heavy heart. However, does anybody know what's the kind of resale value to expect for a 10 yr old 55k kms run Beat Petrol LT?
Don't sell it now if there is no problem with the car. I suggest using it for couple of years more. Maintaining Beat is not be a problem as parts are easily available. Dealers offer very low price for Chevy cars so it is better to find an individual buyer if you must sell.

I had a 2009 Chevy Spark LT with 1.05L km on the ODO and sold it for 1.1 Lakh few months back. It had lot of accessories.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:39   #3752
BHPian

Thank you for the responses guys. I think I'll hold on for a few more years in that case. The car (touch wood) has been absolutely trouble free for all of these 10 years, and still is my preferred vehicle for those trips to markets or places with less than ideal parking or crowd situations
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:51   #3753
BHPian

Guys, just wanted to know what is the grade of engine oil you're using for the Beat petrol?

I get my car serviced at Carsmith Motors now but this time they found it difficult to source the recommended "5W-30 API SM GF4" grade mineral oil. So they suggested an alternative: Shell Helix 5W-30 HX5 AZ. Although this one is recommended for Maruti vehicles, they said this will work for the Chevy Beat petrol too. I've gone ahead & filled this for now.

Carsmith had also suggested Shell Helix 5W-30 HX8 fully synthetic oil but I was put off by the cost which was nearly 3 times the cost of the mineral oil.

I see some older posts recommending Total Quartz 7000 5W-30 but not sure if its still available. What are the other mineral oil options that are compatible with the Beat petrol?

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-shell_5w30.jpg
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:00   #3754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Guys, just wanted to know what is the grade of engine oil you're using for the Beat petrol?

I get my car serviced at Carsmith Motors now but this time they found it difficult to source the recommended "5W-30 API SM GF4" grade mineral oil. So they suggested an alternative: Shell Helix 5W-30 HX5 AZ. Although this one is recommended for Maruti vehicles, they said this will work for the Chevy Beat petrol too. I've gone ahead & filled this for now.

Carsmith had also suggested Shell Helix 5W-30 HX8 fully synthetic oil but I was put off by the cost which was nearly 3 times the cost of the mineral oil.

I see some older posts recommending Total Quartz 7000 5W-30 but not sure if its still available. What are the other mineral oil options that are compatible with the Beat petrol?

Attachment 1952454
No idea about mineral oils but I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5w30 oil since I stopped taking the car to the ASS a few years ago and it's been fine. Earlier it was semi synthetic and now it's fully synthetic
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 19:32   #3755
BHPian

Hi,
We have recently been in the market for a preloved hatchback. I have come across a lot of Petrol Chevy Beat' that are selling for a reasonable price. I come across 2012/13 vintage for around 1.4L.

I was wondering whether it would make for a good city commuter? Whether the car is FNG friendly and spares are easily available? Looking to keep the car for another 3-5 years.

What makes the car sell for such a cheap price? I understand that the company doesn't sell anymore in India, but apart from that..?
Old 28th January 2020, 16:28   #3756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Hi,
We have recently been in the market for a preloved hatchback. I have come across a lot of Petrol Chevy Beat' that are selling for a reasonable price. I come across 2012/13 vintage for around 1.4L.

I was wondering whether it would make for a good city commuter? Whether the car is FNG friendly and spares are easily available? Looking to keep the car for another 3-5 years.

What makes the car sell for such a cheap price? I understand that the company doesn't sell anymore in India, but apart from that..?
The car is a decent for a city runabout and for the occasional highway trip.
Spares are not an issue atleast in Mumbai and certainly not in Delhi, in fact i have ordered a few spares for my Beat from BKS Motors in Delhi.
You should have no problem as such for the next 2-3 years, I myself am keeping my 2011 Beat for another year atleast.

Resale value : Even when GM was operational, the resale value in India would have been lower than the equivalent Maruti or Hyundai just like other car manufacturers so it's normal now.
Old 28th January 2020, 22:57   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The car is a decent for a city runabout and for the occasional highway trip.
Spares are not an issue atleast in Mumbai and certainly not in Delhi, in fact i have ordered a few spares for my Beat from BKS Motors in Delhi.
You should have no problem as such for the next 2-3 years, I myself am keeping my 2011 Beat for another year atleast.

Resale value : Even when GM was operational, the resale value in India would have been lower than the equivalent Maruti or Hyundai just like other car manufacturers so it's normal now.
Thank you for the elaborate reply. That does quell my doubts about the availability of spares.

What is the service interval of the car? And what do you think would be a decent price to pay for a used 2010 LT model?

Thanks!
Old 30th January 2020, 15:11   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Thank you for the elaborate reply. That does quell my doubts about the availability of spares.

What is the service interval of the car? And what do you think would be a decent price to pay for a used 2010 LT model?

Thanks!
The service interval i follow is 5000km/6 months for semi synthetic oil or 7500km/1 year on full synthetic oil. Air filters every 10000km

For a 2010 LT i guess the price is around 80k ? It's around 1-1.1 for my 2011 LT
Old 7th March 2020, 18:42   #3759
BHPian

Hi All,

Asking this query for a friend who has a Beat diesel that has recently started giving out white smoke (he has since stopped driving his car). Since he is in Bengaluru, would like to know if any owner here has contacts of any reliable and honest mechanics familiar with working on Beat diesels who can diagnose the issue and fix it.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th October 2020, 15:22   #3760
Senior - BHPian

As we all know 2020 has been the most eventful year in our lifetime and same goes with my little Beaty too.

There was 2 issues I was prolonging since early 2018
  1. AC Gas leak
  2. Coolant leak
For AC gas leak the Service Centre was asking 11,600/- for Cooling Coil change since none of the other parts was showing any leak.

For coolant leak the same Service Centre was asking 22,500/- for changing Water Pump, Hose, Elbow & Thermostat.

Hearing all this I was like I had decided that I will never spend these kind of crazy amount for an 8-year-old car which is no more in production. From that month onward I started topping Gas and Coolant religiously. Gas once a year and Coolant 200 ml for every 500 Kms.

Fast forward to 2020 March 1st week. I was driving down South-X flyover and a slipping sound started. Immediately engine went off. Since it was slope and speed was 40 Kms I could manage to restart the engine by disengaging clutch. But immediately engine went off with slipping sound. Again I restarted but this time turned the AC off and voila the engine start running and no more slipping. Called Babloo Bhai (AC Expert) at Kishangarh and explained the scenario and fixed an appointment for next day. He changed the Cooling coil and issue was sorted for the time being.

Since day 1 (May 2010) I am doing all my regular services at the Service Centre hence lots of Mechanics turned my acquaintance. They always helped me out with small issues. Likewise, they were holding a brand-new compressor for me which was taken out from an almost new Beat under warranty. (The problem with that Beat was Cooling coil and under warranty company changed the entire AC system. Hence almost new compressor landed with them) But changing cooling coil solved my issue and I updated them to hand over the Compressor to the next guy in waiting. My big mistake. The cost for that compressor was 4500/-. From March 20th WFH started and Beat was not running (weekly starting and idling) till May 25th.

Come July last week I was driving towards Chirag Dilli suddenly the slipping sound started and I suddenly switched off the AC. To my mistake I switched on the AC since it was too hot to sit inside. Immediately I heard a small thud sound. Car was under the flyover and tuning towards Nehru Place. Stopped the car to the left and inspected under the hood. Belt got snapped. There was a roadside Bike repair guy. He went and came with a Mechanic and within 30 mins car was ready to go. Switched on and slipping sound started. Now came to the shocking conclusion that Compressor is dead stuck. Fortunately, it was Saturday and planned to sort out all the mess by next day. AC guys opened the compressor and more surprises were awaiting. The compressor shred aluminum into fine particles and pumped into the entire system. Now I must change Condenser too since flushing the same will not give good result and can damage a new compressor in short time. Ordered OEM Compressor & Condenser from Lajpat Nagar, Thoroughly flushed the Cooling Coil and Pipes with Petrol and compressed air. Now AC part is finally sorted.

Last 2 weeks I was noticing lots of dripping of Coolant from front right underside and thought of repairing it before something worst happening. Talked to the said known mechanics and they were ready to repair for ¼ amount the Service Center quoted. So yesterday the same was done. But Coolant leak was just a tip of iceberg. I just jokingly pointing the coolant drips under the car. He identified few drops as coolant and other as Engine Oil. What??? They lifted the car and there was lot of oil covering the Oil sump. My heart start sinking. The guy with initial observation updated me that the sump should be opened and resealed with some paste kind of thing and we fixed to do it after Coolant issue. Coolant parts was replaced with around 4 hours work and the Mechanic after close inspection updated me that the oil leak is from Oil pressure switch and we replaced it. Now the entire leak scenario of Beat is done and dusted. Now come the oil level in the engine. Since the engine was running for some time and hot, the correct level of oil was not able to pinpoint. So he requested me to check the Coolant & Engine Oil level today morning after 10 hours of overnight rest.

Today morning coolant level was fine but shocked to find that engine oil level at the bottom of the dipstick. Reached service center and topped the engine oil. It swallowed 2.5L oil. Just my luck that I decided to work on the coolant leak issue yesterday else this week I would have posting about a seized engine issue. Thank god!

So the 2020 repair cost till date:-

March: Cooling Coil – 5100/-
July: Belt – 750/-
July: Compressor, Condenser, Coil & Pipe Flushing – 17500/-*
October: Water Pump housing, Hose Big & 2 x small, Oil pressure switch – 4700/-
October: Engine Oil – 1102/-

Total – 29,152/- *13,000/- wasted due to not replacing the compressor on March.

Now just finger tightly crossed for next 4.5 years.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 11:14   #3761
Senior - BHPian

I too am having a cooling coil leak since over a year now. Quoted replacement is in the 7-9000 ballpark and since it involved removal and refitting of dashboard I was reluctant. My AC guy himself suggested topping up the AC gas and using it as is every 6 months or so. At 600 bucks a pop it still makes sense to do so for another 2 years as it will only cost me 2400 Vs 7000. Cooling performance is fine.
Other issues is some front to back play in the front left suspension that I need to get sorted. Also hay a small exhaust leak that will get fixed by welding. Overall I'm fine with the car, just have the itch to upgrade because an automatic will make it more convenient in city traffic where it spends most of its time and also the greed for more power !
Old 7th October 2020, 13:39   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My AC guy himself suggested topping up the AC gas and using it as is every 6 months or so.
My AC guy also suggested this and I followed it for 2 years. But big mistake. Compressor Oil which circulate through the system will eventually goes out of the Cooling coil and the Compressor will become grind halt one day shredding metal into the entire system and you will be looking at a bill of 25000/-

Opening Dashboard is an easy job for experienced hands. I did it twice. Both times standing close to the car throughout the repair. First time I was bit skeptical and worried. But it is just like a jigsaw puzzle. Beat's behind the dash insulation is commendable. No squeaks or rattles till date.

For 5000 to 5500 you can change the cooling coil. Change it and just forget the issue.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:58   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My AC guy also suggested this and I followed it for 2 years. But big mistake. Compressor Oil which circulate through the system will eventually goes out of the Cooling coil and the Compressor will become grind halt one day shredding metal into the entire system and you will be looking at a bill of 25000/-

Opening Dashboard is an easy job for experienced hands. I did it twice. Both times standing close to the car throughout the repair. First time I was bit skeptical and worried. But it is just like a jigsaw puzzle. Beat's behind the dash insulation is commendable. No squeaks or rattles till date.

For 5000 to 5500 you can change the cooling coil. Change it and just forget the issue.

Cheers!
Good advice. I will take it up with him again. Or maybe top up the compressor oil too !
Old 8th October 2020, 18:08   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am having a cooling coil leak since over a year now. Quoted replacement is in the 7-9000 ballpark and since it involved removal and refitting of dashboard I was reluctant. My AC guy himself suggested topping up the AC gas and using it as is every 6 months or so. At 600 bucks a pop it still makes sense to do so for another 2 years as it will only cost me 2400 Vs 7000.
I think its a standard problem with Beat petrol. After about 6 years, cooling in my car started to deteriorate. I too used to just top up the gas and keep running the car. However one fine day with a loud pop and cooling completely stopped. The compressor blew up and shred of aluminum into fine particles and pumped into the entire cooling system.

Usually I go to local car a/c service fellow for gas top up. This time I decided to go to a highly known garage, and searching T-BHP led me to Unicool Car Aircon. I had to replace complete system with cooling coil, condenser and compressor. As I wanted to sell the car soon, I didn't want to spend too much on entire system. Luckily Unicool fellows were able to find complete system from a scrapped Beat at Kurla scrap market at 1/3 the cost.

But they did a superb job for replacing the entire cooling system, and till I sold the car, a/c never gave any problem.
Old 12th October 2020, 23:36   #3765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post

October: Water Pump housing, Hose Big & 2 x small, Oil pressure switch – 4700/-
October: Engine Oil – 1102/-

Total – 29,152/- *13,000/- wasted due to not replacing the compressor on March.

Now just finger tightly crossed for next 4.5 years.

Cheers!
Hey myavu.

My beat is 9.5 years old now. The water pump leak was informed me some 3 or 4 years back. I was reluctant to change it as the leak was minimal and cost was almost 15 to 20k . All these days I kept topping up the coolant.

Today gave for 1,65,000 km service at the chevy service and they told the same water pump leak issue and hoses are damaged . Any time the system may fail and engine may seize if hose gave up and some one keeps driving without noticing the engine over heat warning.

I thought of only replacing the hoses that runs the coolant system and keep topping the coolant as usual. Is this fine? What is your take on this?

Last edited by jeganatu : 12th October 2020 at 23:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks