Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 12:38   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I had read all the Yeti size comparisons in the review, still I got a minor shock when I saw it on the road. It could be an alternative to some of the sedans (Laura, Jetta) in that price range. But I think many people who are looking to buy a car (read sedan) may not consider the Yeti because of its shape (not sedan-like). People looking to buy a SUV may also stay away from Yeti due to its size. So, I think Yeti is going to be a niche vehicle - I am not sure how successful it is going to be.
I agree completely here. For me, Skoda used to be synonymous with the Octavia and Laura, two absolutely beautiful cars that always deserved a second and third glance when you passed them on the road. Beautiful and strong, safe and comfortable. (Somehow, the Superb never evoked those feelings...)

With Fabia, Skoda seemed to have gotten confused - always felt like a heavily over-rated small car. And now with the prices slashed, Skoda will have some pretty upset recent buyers, and a much more downmarket image to go with it.

The Yeti seems like another mistake to me, although I might be very wrong. Not a car, not a SUV. Definitely not something that will get a second glance for the right reasons - and the side profile looks pretty unbalanced and ordinary. A good looking true SUV from Skoda with the interiors of the Laura, and the price range of 20-25 lakhs would probably get a lot more traction.

And yes, as always, a superbly detailed review! Cheers!
Old 28th November 2010, 14:40   #197
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the older pre-2009 Superb was a beautifully proportioned, strong, purposeful looking, understatedly elegant car.typical Euro-subtle good looks - like the earlier Passat to some extent even.

the newer 2009 Superb is a bling wagon all the way - suitable for a wannabe Russian Oligarch type person I guess but not someone who likes subtlety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
(Somehow, the Superb never evoked those feelings...)
Old 28th November 2010, 15:10   #198
Team-BHP Support

Please excuse if this sounds like OT, but can't we have a good soft-roader which handles good and runs on diesel?

We have the CR-V and Outlander, good handlers, but they drink gallons.

Pajero/Endeavor/Fortuner/Captiva aren't good handlers.

Is it too hard to manufacture a Car at this price-point? I mean, just now the Yeti has come in, but we need competition.
Old 28th November 2010, 15:35   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
The Yeti seems like another mistake to me, although I might be very wrong. Not a car, not a SUV.
Not quite agree that it’s a mistake. True that it is not a sedan or an SUV, and hence the term cross-over. Yeti is indeed such a success worldwide, and termed as an excellent option for families due to its versatility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the older pre-2009 Superb was a beautifully proportioned, strong, purposeful looking, understatedly elegant car.typical Euro-subtle good looks - like the earlier Passat to some extent even.

the newer 2009 Superb is a bling wagon all the way - suitable for a wannabe Russian Oligarch type person I guess but not someone who likes subtlety.
Yes, the old Superb was well proportioned, but lacked exclusivity, and over-priced. For me, the new superb is a class leader in interior space and luxury for that price (a true game-changer, as listed in one of our thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please excuse if this sounds like OT, but can't we have a good soft-roader which handles good and runs on diesel?

We have the CR-V and Outlander, good handlers, but they drink gallons.

Pajero/Endeavor/Fortuner/Captiva aren't good handlers.

Is it too hard to manufacture a Car at this price-point? I mean, just now the Yeti has come in, but we need competition.
Is that what the Yeti is?

Yeti should definitely eat into the sales (if any) of the CR-Vs and Outlanders. And I am sure a lot of manufacturers will be watching this space – to bring in the competition.
Old 28th November 2010, 16:40   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There seems to be a typo. I think that 4th should be 1:1, then the ratios make sense.
Me too thinks its a typo - but this was the official information shared.

My guess is 4th was probably meant to be 0.97 (not 0.87) -- as 4th, 5th and 6th are all overdrive gears on the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And the max speeds/ rpms in each gear?
Not mentioned or noted during testing - though you should be able to figure these out.
Have you got a chance to drive it?

cya
R
Old 28th November 2010, 18:21   #201
BHPian

Just to let you guys know the booking status of Yeti here in Nagpur, its topping the chart and heard going for "ON" too for 2 month promised delivery, the current waiting is 3+ months and the hottest color is white. The last I got info was 20+ booking and still no test drive available, the demo vehicle is in showroom for just a look!
The behavior of the sales guy is like doing a favor by allowing to inquire and have a look at Yeti, the onroad price of Yeti Elegance is 18.58 lac and Ambiente is 17.3 and 90% booking is for Elegance. This also include the Skoda shield 2+2 1lac kms extended warranty.

-Pramod
Old 28th November 2010, 21:10   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Have you got a chance to drive it?

cya
R
No TD. Actually haven't even seen it yet.

For me the Yeti fills only one need (a city friendly vehicle which gives the ladies a sense of security (I am driving a SUV. I am king of the road) when driving. And a vehicle which one can use for short weekend trips.) It is too expensive for that. (NB. we in Eastern India are the poor cousins!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th November 2010, 13:17   #203
Team-BHP Support

Update!

Alright, so looks like Skoda aren't going to lay low with just one engine option on the Yeti! Good news for all Skoda fans and prospective Yeti customers!

The Yeti will be made available in two, or possibly three new engine options!

One would be a brand new 1.6 litre diesel lump that's going to feature in the new Octavia replacement/Fabia sedan. It's the same engine that does duty in the VW Vento and it makes a healthy 104 horses and produces 25 kgm of peak torque. However, this engine will be mated to a 5-speed manual tranny, as opposed to the 6-speeder that's found in the current Yeti.

Also on the cards is the stonking 1.2 litre TSI lump and this turbocharged motor produces 104 horses!

However, these trims will not be available with the permanent four-wheel-drive system. Instead, the front wheels will be driven and this motor will be mated to a five-speed manual as well. The prices are expected to fall (because of the absence of some tech like 4WD and hill-decent, etc) so expect the Yeti to be priced at a mouth-watering 12.5 lakhs!

My earlier predictions on the 1.2 TSI not making it to the Yeti are wrong! I presumed that Skoda will be looking to target the premium segment and thus, the 1.2 wouldn't cut it, but I was horribly wrong. And in some ways, I'm glad I was!

Now all we need is a variant with the famed DSG 'box! Skoda, please oblige!

EDIT: Source: BSM updates!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th November 2010 at 13:19.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:41   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
...1.6 litre diesel lump that's going to feature in the new Octavia replacement/Fabia sedan. It's the same engine that does duty in the VW Vento ...

...1.2 litre TSI lump and this turbocharged motor produces 104 horses!..
This is good news indeed!

Quote:
...The prices are expected to fall (because of the absence of some tech like 4WD and hill-decent, etc) so expect the Yeti to be priced at a mouth-watering 12.5 lakhs!
12.5L ?? Is that ex-delhi ? Sounds a touch optimistic / too good to be true.

Quote:
EDIT: Source: BSM updates!
Could you provide a link please.

Thanks,
R
Old 29th November 2010, 16:53   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could you provide a link please.
here's the link to it.. SCOOP! Skoda to launch more variants of the Yeti in 2011

I suppose since it's a niche product and doesn't have direct competition Skoda could cash on bringing in more cheaper options. Cover the range starting from 12L ex for some base model bases on 1.2TSI to 18L ex for the L&K model based on 2.0diesel and may be 170bhp.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:09   #206
BHPian

invinsible and suhaas thats great news,
may be it is worth waiting before taking plunge and booking yeti as of now. I will definitely wait for if DSG box is on the cards with TSI engine especially that would make it true crossover or softroader
thanks
Old 29th November 2010, 18:21   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
here's the link to it.. SCOOP! Skoda to launch more variants of the Yeti in 2011

I suppose since it's a niche product and doesn't have direct competition Skoda could cash on bringing in more cheaper options. Cover the range starting from 12L ex for some base model bases on 1.2TSI to 18L ex for the L&K model based on 2.0diesel and may be 170bhp.
1.6 Tdi can fill the gap left by Octavia. This car at 1410 kgs is almost 200 kgs heavier than Vento. It will be a nice alternative to Civic and likes.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:34   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is good news indeed!

12.5L ?? Is that ex-delhi ? Sounds a touch optimistic / too good to be true.
It is good news, alright!

Well, 12.5 lakhs ex-showroom New Delhi does sound a tad optimistic. It is, after all, speculation by one of India's renowned Auto-magazines. But we know how these magazines can be precise with their speculation at times!

But at 12.5 lakhs, I doubt if it would be loaded with goodies. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the basic trim option sans all the features a la the new Fabia. But what it does is it draws more crowds into the showrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

Precisely.

Skoda is looking to widen the range by offering several trim options and variants so as to cater to a wider audience. The price of the current Yeti would have kept a few people away from the showrooms, but now, prospective customers of the Civic, Cruze, etc. would have another option to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzapzoom View Post
invinsible and suhaas thats great news,
may be it is worth waiting before taking plunge and booking yeti as of now. I will definitely wait for if DSG box is on the cards with TSI engine especially that would make it true crossover or softroader
thanks
Thank you!

With the introduction of new engine options and new trim options, the introduction DSG 'box in the Yeti shouldn't be too far away, and I hope I'm right about this one. It really needs the DSG 'box now and that will help the sales along quite nicely.

How about the L&K, Skoda?
Old 29th November 2010, 19:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is good news, alright!

Well, 12.5 lakhs ex-showroom New Delhi does sound a tad optimistic. It is, after all, speculation by one of India's renowned Auto-magazines. But we know how these magazines can be precise with their speculation at times!

But at 12.5 lakhs, I doubt if it would be loaded with goodies. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the basic trim option sans all the features a la the new Fabia. But what it does is it draws more crowds into the showrooms.

The Cheapest out there is the 1.2TSI with base model costing 17990 EURO.
That translates roughly around 11.30L. That pricing is in Germany. In UK again pricing for the same model starts at about 14000pounds. I don't think it would be hard for Skoda to price it around 12 to 12.5L for the base trim on that 1.2tsi engine. However they would yet need to check on the feasibility whether that engine will be able to run with our fuel condition.
1.6D from Vento could do the duty and hope to be priced around starting from 13.5 with again Ambient and Elegance model.
Old 29th November 2010, 23:19   #210
BHPian

The website mentions that "Corrida Red" is one of the color options. Vinayak Skoda in Bangalore claims Red is not available in India. Does anyone have any news on that ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks