Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 03:41   #286
BANNED

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
I do not know if anyone is aware of this, but this really makes me want to go out and buy a Yeti
OT: But please keep in mind that the box alone costs 30% of the Yeti(around INR 500,000.00).

Having said that, I was seriously considering the Yeti when it was launched but after multiple test drives of the Yeti, I concluded that it was too small on the inside even for 4 decent sized adults on a long trip and hence it dropped out of my list.
Old 16th April 2011, 08:21   #287
BHPian

We TD the yeti a few days back,though i had primarily gone to check on the Laura tsi(my budget was around that,not that i can't go for a higher priced version).And then out of curiosity,we checked on the yeti too.And as GTO had said in his review,women would enjoy the looks...my wife did! (you read their minds pretty well,GTO) .She said if we are going for another car,it should be Yeti only.Then and there,i decided that i would never take her to a Mitsubhisi or Nissan showroom !
We analysed the two versions with the sales guy,both don't have GPS !And then the sales guy said,if you want,we can install a GPS system in the ambient version,it would cost about RS40K extra,replacing the existing central music console.
We are not much off road people.Should we go for the Elegant version,apart from off road abilities,it has extra 6 air bags plus dual A/c control.Is worth paying so much extra?
And to think that,i had initially planned to buy a TJet plus or Optra magnum ! There was an article in Indian express about 2 weeks back,it mentioned that women have a 80% influence in decision making for automobile purchase! so true
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:10   #288
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I spent a bit of time in and around the Yeti(s) at Vinayak Auto yesterday. They had a test vehicle, but I was on my way elsewhere and did not have the time to wait for that. I plan to return shortly to drive this~ from what I heard, the drive is more a swing around the block, anyway. All the walk-ins while I was there came looking at the Yeti, so there is interest, if not intent.

I have been interested in the Yeti given the practical advantages of its offer: small footprint, more rough and ready compared to the sedans, as well as what I expected would be availability in dark/ black leather interiors. This as I cart a large dog around fairly often for fairly long distances (1400 km round trips), and the Palio is long in the tooth year wise though not Km wise. I liked the darker, more olive, shade of leather on the seats, though you can see the dirt even on the dark leather. Another nice piece of practicality was the underside cladding of the seats were in black, and not beige like the Laura has. (In comparison the display Laura has dirty seats, door sills, carpets, and even door handles!!~ beige will be the death of us all.) What I did NOT like was the limited leg room at the back ( I am six foot two, and with the driver's seat all the way back, I cannot fit in the back without jamming my knee firmly into the back of the seat. I know if I do the driving, this is a non-issue, but still, not all Indians are 5'10 inches or thereabouts!) Rear seats can slide forward to recline the backrest, so with a person in front already taking up available space, this becomes a non-option at the back. I also found the boot space to be quite small. Compared to the Laura, it is positively parsimonious. Part of this is because of the high boot floor, (almost sill level thanks to the spare wheel underneath) You have fairly constrained usable space between floor and parcel shelf.

Given the off-shoulder if not off-road and go-anywhere positioning, there needs to be some space to back up your claim for utility cred. The problem with the way the Yeti has been designed is that this utility comes from the Vario-flex seating. Taking out the seats liberates huge amounts of space ( but not flat~ there is a big stepped drop from the boot to the back of the front seats). One has to commit to making the space required, either by folding the rear seats, or removing them and leaving them at home altogether. But then when I need those seats at my destination to cart parents and friends around, where would they be? As a driver, you cannot fault equipment at hand too much; it is fairly comprehensive on the Elegance spec variant, though an auto box should have been an option for this. I was also unable to figure out whether the Bolero infotainment system allows you to plug in a GPS module for in-dash navigation. I think not, which is a pity, given that you get Hyundais and Tatas with this capability these days. After spending what you will at this price, having to stick a suction cup mounted phone or sat nav device onto your windscreen 'sucs'!

The final disconcerting bit is the on-road price in Bangalore for the Elegance trim: 20,75,700 odd including mandatory Skoda shield (2+2 years) and dealer provided insurance. The depreciation-free package is another 14,000 odd. This without the option of an auto box. So, apart from the dirt-magnet interiors, the Auto version of the Laura Elegance looks more attractive from a VFM point of view than having to pay for a Haldex clutch and hill descent control that you might use once in your car's entire lifetime. I was hoping to see value in the Yeti, but will have to think long and hard at this (Bangalore) price!

I definitelt agree with you on most of these points and they are quite the reason it is selling less than the Laura.

One thing that needs to be considered here is the fuel efficiency. Unless someone is actually going to use the vehicle for off roading on a regular basis the need for a low ratio gearbox is not justified. And we all know how well the Gypsies and the Jeeps kill the fortuner off the road.

Another thing is the fuel efficiency. It might not pinch much today with the difference in the fuel prices of Diesel and petrol reaching close to 20 rupees, but this will be significant in the coming years when Diesel prices are de-regulated like petrol, for SUVs and Luxury Vehicles (a segment we can be sure of bearing the brunt).

A yeti might still return 14kpl overall whereas the T-Fort only 10klp. The haldex proving its worth from this perspective.
Old 27th April 2011, 09:55   #289
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

22 lacs for the base level trim X1 - no 4WD even as an option and forget completely about the typical BMW fiddly bits - this is just a Beemer in name and overall appearance + of course the general quality etc.

Sitting in the back seats feels like one is sitting in an aquarium and peering out - you can imagine how I will feel with my 6 ft frame tucked into the back!

I quite agree my friend that this is way overpriced.

Also - it is a further illustration of this general attitude to get in and make hay while the going is good. We in India are SUV and Status mad - in general. The X1 presses the right buttons as per the above. Hence it will survive here.

What irks me considerably is that the market in this 18-30 lac category is way overcrowded but none of these manufacturers including our Indian manufacturers seems to want to provide a good, workable, good quality, utilitarian SUV option with all safety features etc in the <10 lac bracket - this is what the market is crying out for and anyone who comes in here in this segment will make an absolute killing!

Thats why I m keenly waiting for the Duster whenever it comes - it is one vehicle that may be able to offer Yeti like practicality and cleverness at half the price! If that is, when they come to India, they remain true to their vision of providing an affordable utitlitarian all terrain capable mini SUV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Besides the bmw badge, I think X1 is way overpriced for the category it is meant to be in.
Old 27th April 2011, 10:38   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
22 lacs for the base level trim X1 - no 4WD even as an option and forget completely about the typical BMW fiddly bits - this is just a Beemer in name and overall appearance + of course the general quality etc.

Sitting in the back seats feels like one is sitting in an aquarium and peering out - you can imagine how I will feel with my 6 ft frame tucked into the back!

I quite agree my friend that this is way overpriced.

Also - it is a further illustration of this general attitude to get in and make hay while the going is good. We in India are SUV and Status mad - in general. The X1 presses the right buttons as per the above. Hence it will survive here.

What irks me considerably is that the market in this 18-30 lac category is way overcrowded but none of these manufacturers including our Indian manufacturers seems to want to provide a good, workable, good quality, utilitarian SUV option with all safety features etc in the <10 lac bracket - this is what the market is crying out for and anyone who comes in here in this segment will make an absolute killing!

Thats why I m keenly waiting for the Duster whenever it comes - it is one vehicle that may be able to offer Yeti like practicality and cleverness at half the price! If that is, when they come to India, they remain true to their vision of providing an affordable utitlitarian all terrain capable mini SUV!
Just to update this, the Skoda Yeti Elegance is now 21,20,000 with Skoda Shield on road in Bangalore.
It does have quasi-all-wheel drive and the likes, but now how many people would go for a petrol BMW rather than a diesel Skoda? You would be peering out of an aquarium in both, and as far as space goes, there is only enough for a few guppies! (leave alone full grown dogs like you and I have!)
I am still looking at this Yeti, but the pricing is becoming unjustifiable in this city at least.
crackingride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 11:38   #291
BANNED

not bad at all - the Skoda pricing. Has it come down a bit from before? Seems so, to me.

But you're right. Its a lovely clever vehicle and offers some excellent driving dynamics etc but it is way too small for my particular needs.

I am clear that 20 odd lacs for a vehicle of this size and overall detail is on the expensive side. It wont ever be likely to get into my consideration set except if and when some well kept, reasonably priced examples arrive into the used market. The same logic as above, applies (in my case at least) with respect to the T Fortuner. I personally wouldnt bother considering a T Fort at 24 lacs OTR BLR.

But then, in case it comes to a choice (for me) between a T Fortuner and this Yeti in the used market, I would probably choose the Fortuner.

But seriously, if this Duster does turn up at the price levels that are currently being speculated, with the level of kit and trim that's being touted, then that would certainly kick up some serious dust in the market place. It looks big enough and since it is being compared in size to a Quashqai and even an X Trail, then that seems the right kind of utilitarian SUV for the regular joe Indian SUV consumer who requires a bit of comfort and safety kit at a fair price.

Until then I shall happily buzz around in my Scorp - in which I have further liberated storage space by removing the silly, pygmy size side facing jump seats from the rear luggage bay. Now the Scorp seems absolutely VFM in terms of its toughness and use-ability and general storage capacity etc. My only lament is the lack of 4WD and Safety kit in the model I ve got.

And I agree with your earlier comment about beige being the death of us. I am sick of seeing these "beige" interiors being touted as the epitome of luxury!

Quote:
Just to update this, the Skoda Yeti Elegance is now 21,20,000 with Skoda Shield on road in Bangalore.
It does have quasi-all-wheel drive and the likes, but now how many people would go for a petrol BMW rather than a diesel Skoda? You would be peering out of an aquarium in both, and as far as space goes, there is only enough for a few guppies! (leave alone full grown dogs like you and I have!)
I am still looking at this Yeti, but the pricing is becoming unjustifiable in this city at least.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th April 2011 at 11:44.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:22   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How would you place the Xylo?

Quote:
And I agree with your earlier comment about beige being the death of us. I am sick of seeing these "beige" interiors being touted as the epitome of luxury!
For much of the rest of the world, beige is almost a synonym for characterless boredom. Anyway, it's just a colour: how can any colour be more luxurious than another? Marketing madness --- but the even greater madness is that the customers lap up this sort of nonsense!
Old 27th April 2011, 12:29   #293
BANNED

Hi

In my opinion the Xylo is merely a Van/ MUV, not an SUV in the sense of the Yeti/ Duster etc. Same with the Innova.

And yes, this "beige" rubbish is marketing nonsense. Yes light colours do create an impression of space, airiness and lightness around - especially in a warm / hot country like ours. Also the interiors dont get as hot if the vehicle is left out in the sun for a time.
But the dirt resistance of these beige interiors (again very important in our dry, dusty or wet, muddy conditions) - is pathetic. So where's the middle ground?
Perhaps the manufacturers should atleast offer interior colour options to the consumers -instead of this stupid one size fits all attitude that seems to be the order of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How would you place the Xylo?

For much of the rest of the world, beige is almost a synonym for characterless boredom. Anyway, it's just a colour: how can any colour be more luxurious than another? Marketing madness --- but the even greater madness is that the customers lap up this sort of nonsense!
Old 28th April 2011, 11:05   #294
BHPian

Quote:
not bad at all - the Skoda pricing. Has it come down a bit from before? Seems so, to me.
Not in the least: it's gone UP! It was around 20.75L on road with the works earlier. Its close to 45 grand dearer now! And almost 3L more expensive than if I were to buy in Goa!
Old 28th April 2011, 11:41   #295
BANNED

I remember when I went and TD-ed the Elegance Version around 6 - 7 months ago, the price quoted to me at the time was around 22 odd all inclusive. Which is why I reacted to your post.

Quote:
Not in the least: it's gone UP! It was around 20.75L on road with the works earlier. Its close to 45 grand dearer now! And almost 3L more expensive than if I were to buy in Goa!
Old 7th June 2011, 10:56   #296
BHPian

Mates,

Yeti was my first choice when I contemplated a new car.I dropped the idea immediately as I felt the car is very impractical.

Some reasons:

1.Skoda service history
2.Very expensive
3.No automatic.The manual is not user friendly.Engine stalls,needs to press the accelerator hard(from the reviews),odd gear shift etc.
4.Many ideal /desirable features are lacking,not so important ones are selected at random and offered-really indifferent of Skoda.
5.Not so good ride at low speed.

Due to high price it is definitely not for the ordinary man/woman.It is not for the "snobbish" rich who want a hassle free driving/ownership experience and don't mind throwing in money.For enthusiasts?Pay a bit more and buy a Fortuner/X1.For enthusiasts who can't afford those!!? An Innova is a better choice and is far superior.

Pl enlighten if I am wrong.

Rgds,charthom
Old 7th June 2011, 13:56   #297
BHPian

@charthom, for me the killer is the looks. I have passed a Yeti a few times in my Endy, and it really looks so tiny.. with none of the "attributes" a SUV is supposed to have. So is it a MUV? No, too small again. So, crossover? Well, it's like being an all-rounder who can do a little of this and a little of that, but nothing well enough! As you mentioned, there are so many other better options today, I can't think of a single reason to own a Yeti...
Old 7th June 2011, 21:32   #298
BHPian

@siddeshb,

Agree with you. I happened to spot Nissan Qashqay in a shopping mall at Kleipeda in Lituania(I am a sailor). I found it very homely.I fantasised about my family and myself travelling in it and having fun. No such fond feelings on seeing the Yeti.
Old 7th June 2011, 23:31   #299
BHPian

The Yeti needs to be 15 OTR and under to create an impact, the current pricing is impractical. Its not particularly large, infact it looks like a bigger hatch, albeit a solidly built one.

The 2.0 TDI is priced similar to the 1.8 Civic in other markets like the UK for instance so the premium Skoda is expecting is unrealistic, bar a niche market.

Wonder whether Skoda is interested in volumes at all, maybe the folks go to sleep at night thinking of the great brand they have built.
Old 8th June 2011, 06:58   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
@charthom, for me the killer is the looks.
To each its own. I find the car super practical, and pretty good looking as well (in a quirky way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
I have passed a Yeti a few times in my Endy, and it really looks so tiny.. with none of the "attributes" a SUV is supposed to have. So is it a MUV? No, too small again. So, crossover? Well, it's like being an all-rounder who can do a little of this and a little of that, but nothing well enough! As you mentioned, there are so many other better options today, I can't think of a single reason to own a Yeti...
Well, what you mentioned are the reasons in favour of the Yeti. This kind of cars is so ideal for our conditions. They’ve maintained that Yeti is a cross-over and not a SUV. Majority of us does not do off-roading on a regular basis (I know you do, and I have enjoyed your travel write-ups and small videos on YouTube ).

Yeti is quite powerful, does have sedan–like road manners, and can handle bad roads without breaking a sweat. And it is rightly sized for easy driving in crowded cities. Actually in this segment, I don’t see many options to choose from – except for the X1 CE, which is so under equipped, compared to the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
I happened to spot Nissan Qashqay in a shopping mall at Kleipeda in Lituania(I am a sailor). I found it very homely.I fantasised about my family and myself travelling in it and having fun. No such fond feelings on seeing the Yeti.
For me Qashqai looks decent and traditional, but lacks the character of the Yeti. And then, internationally the Yeti has created so much trouble for the competition that Nissan came up with Qashqai+2 to counter the threat. Healthy competition anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
The Yeti needs to be 15 OTR and under to create an impact, the current pricing is impractical. Its not particularly large, infact it looks like a bigger hatch, albeit a solidly built one.
The 2.0 TDI is priced similar to the 1.8 Civic in other markets like the UK for instance so the premium Skoda is expecting is unrealistic, bar a niche market..
+1. They have to price it at least closer the Laura elegance. I feel a couple of changes can bring in higher volumes for the Yeti – (1) Do a Fabia, and reposition the car on pricing front. Suddenly the whole package will start to look more appealing, and (2) Add in more kit, variants (e.g.; DSG auto) and keep the pricing same. Personally I find the second option more appealing

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th June 2011 at 07:06. Reason: Spelling correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks