Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 14:21   #331
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
Over the last few years, Octavia has taught me - how enjoyable driving experience could be. Before Octavia, I never gave credit for the concept of "driving pleasure". Driving mostly on highways in TN, I enjoyed every minute of owning it.

Over the years, I also started to realize the limitations of Octavia, with repect to our own (Indian) driving condition. This would include public behaviour on the road (especially on the highway), apart from road conditions !! The following are three main things that did bother me

-> Braking was very poor
-> I'm slightly over 6 ft, and knee pain was a constant bother on long drives
-> Sitting "low" was a big disadvantage at high speeds on our roads - due to limited visibility. Had couple of accidents due to this...

Took delivery of my Yeti yesterday, all though i was skeptical about the high visibility aspect (it was just a theory), a drive on the highway made me realize this is a very big improvement for me. The handling and ride quality are very good improvement over Octavia. Driving on the highway seems a lot more easier and even more comfortable. Of coure, Braking is far superior.

I'm to yet to tak the Yeti on long drives, but I can safely assume knee pains would be a thing of past. There is so much more space in Yeti.
I, too, enjoy long drives in my Octavia.

Knee pain is not a problem if you use the cruise control so you can take your foot off the accelerator pedal. In fact I bought the L&K just because it has cruise control.

I am also looking at the Yeti when I need to trade in the Octy. I would like to get one with the DSG and cruise control.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:13   #332
BHPian

Hi contessa,
What was the final price you paid for the ambient yeti? Here they are giving me Rs 70000/ discount only. The final OTR here is 16.5 L.
Maybe if I could tell them the quotes in BLR ,they might yield . Thanks in advance
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:20   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Hi contessa,
What was the final price you paid for the ambient yeti? Here they are giving me Rs 70000/ discount only. The final OTR here is 16.5 L.
Maybe if I could tell them the quotes in BLR ,they might yield . Thanks in advance
The dealer really played the fool and I learnt the real deal, only when i got the final bill !!.

The actual discount was only Rs.1.6L. The final OTR price was 17.3 (original OTR in BLR would be India's highest - 19.3L !!)

These prices are including the Skoda extended warranty (Rs.19k).
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:39   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Contessa,
Yes, in the Yeti you will not be able to take turns as fast as a Laura. The 4x4 system kicks in and brakes the wheels to prevent sharp turns. Try with the Traction control off ( button below the ac controls) and it will allow you to make faster turns, with some drama!
I really do not think It was a traction. I do not consider myself an enthusiast or an adventurous driver, so that i set the expectation lower

So it was just the insecure feeling when the body starts to lean over too much to the side. This is my first non-sedan vehicle - so maybe I’m not just used to it
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:51   #335
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

it will take a bit of time to get used to the taller stance of the Yeti in comparison to the Octy.
But one generally cannot take corners in a tall vehicle the same way one can, in a lower slung vehicle. simple common sense dictates this and most people wouldnt even bother to attempt the same. after all one buys mini suv's and sedans with completely different need states in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
I really do not think It was a traction. I do not consider myself an enthusiast or an adventurous driver, so that i set the expectation lower

So it was just the insecure feeling when the body starts to lean over too much to the side. This is my first non-sedan vehicle - so maybe I’m not just used to it
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:08   #336
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Even the Legendary BMW cornering is not possible in the X1 compared to the 3 series, The taller a car the more nervous the cornering. The Yeti corners well, but ofcourse not as well as the Laura - that is just not possible physically.

I corner quite agressively even with SUV's and do take the Aria around curves at speeds in the range for 80-110kmph. But the next day in the Laura the feeling is so much more secure. The Yeti should slot in between the full blow SUV and a Sedan from the cornering experience point of view.
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:02   #337
BHPian

As i mentioned in my original posting, this was pretty much on expected line. However i thought it was worth posting - as my discussion so far has all been in comparison with Octavia.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:24   #338
BHPian

Is there any chance of a Yeti 2WD launch this year ? IMO, this will make it much more affordable to the masses , who , in any case, would not really go offroading with Skoda A** looming at the back of his mind
Old 20th September 2011, 12:04   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Is there any chance of a Yeti 2WD launch this year ? IMO, this will make it much more affordable to the masses , who , in any case, would not really go offroading with Skoda A** looming at the back of his mind
Hi JishD,

Yes, there is a high chance of the 2WD Yeti being launched in the Dusshera-Diwali period this year. It is expected to be in the range of 12.5Lac ex-showroom and some of the key features will be:
1) 1.6 L Vento engine, making around 108 bhp.
2) 2WD instead of the 4WD Haldex
3) Fabric seats instead of the leather seats
4) No rear AC vents
5) Simpler Music system (Polo HU)

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 12:07   #340
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure about the lower spec engine ? Doest make too much sense of putting a lower spec engine in 2WD IMHO.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:24   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Are you sure about the lower spec engine ? Doest make too much sense of putting a lower spec engine in 2WD IMHO.
Yes, there will be a lesser powered engine. There are currently two options: 110 bhp 2.0 L engine from Laura Manual, but this costs almost same as 140 Bhp 2.0 L engine currently, hence may not give too much cost benefit.
Other option is the 1.6 L Vento engine, which is also being used internationally in the Greenline versions of the Skoda Yeti.

Last edited by Behemoth : 20th September 2011 at 13:28.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:53   #342
BHPian

Anyone up to date on the Yeti's price in Delhi? Spoke to the dealer (Sai Motors) and they upped the price by 60 grand between the time we spoke and the time I did the test drive - the guy quoted 16.2 L OTR and when he came 5 days later he claimed the discounts were over and now it is 16.8 L. This was for the Ambiente model.

For those who have actually purchased - how much do the EMIs work out to along with Skoda Shield and Skoda Assure?

Is there any likelihood of discounts around Diwali? I thought the Yeti wasn't selling well, but the dealer showed no interest in a discount - this was about a month ago.

OS
Old 7th November 2011, 01:12   #343
BHPian

Hello guys,

Went to a Kodaikanal recently in my friends Yeti, and I am simply blown away ! Loved every bit of it !
We did Chennai-Tirchy, Trichy-Kodai and back . Literally spent 5 days in the car. I knew it was a nice car n all, but thought it was overpriced and a little quirky looking. Basically not a car I would put my 20laks on. But now,I think i am in love.

She handled the highways very well, 100 in 6th is a lazy ~1800rpm. 120-140kph is effortless and the yeti is in her zone at those speeds, if u know what i mean. The real surprise was when the twists started. Now the road uphill is very narrow and its a 2 way road. So very little space and no run off area. Just a railing and some 100 meter fall to death ! Took a bit of getting used to, both the road and the yeti's dimensions. After that i was totally at home ! One flowing corner after another, the Yeti was happy making direction changes. Not as chuck-able as my swift but the yeti was more sure footed and a lot more powerful. Given the height and weight of the yeti i was not expecting her to be this compliant !
Tried all the off road gizmos in Kodai . Nothing extreme. Didn't get stuck anywhere. Someone with more off road experience can should test and report.

Only negatives i had were the low speed ride and the space. Some of the roads were very bad in Kodai and was a little unsettling .
But overall , I have fallen in love ! So much so that i have made my uncle pick up the Yeti elegance over the Tfort last month. Ill buy it off him after 3 years !! haha

Found this on you tube :

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 7th November 2011 at 01:18.
vibhu_f430 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 09:42   #344
BHPian

Yesterday's topgear on BBC had a drive on the Skoda yeti.
They found it to be more stable off the tarmac than a range rover. (they tested that by tattooing a person in the back seat while driving ) They even landed a copter on the yeti. It was quite an interesting episode.

In the end he said its cheaper than a vauxhaull astra. I think thats where the difference is in India. I hope they price the 4x2 really well.
Old 7th November 2011, 09:44   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Yesterday's topgear on BBC had a drive on the Skoda yeti.
They found it to be more stable off the tarmac than a range rover. (they tested that by tattooing a person in the back seat while driving ) They even landed a copter on the yeti. It was quite an interesting episode.

In the end he said its cheaper than a vauxhaull astra. I think thats where the difference is in India. I hope they price the 4x2 really well.
Yeah, interesting one, but its a bit of an old episode. I guess the video link have been posted in this thread itself a few times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks