Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 08:30   #301
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
+1. They have to price it at least closer the Laura elegance. I feel a couple of changes can bring in higher volumes for the Yeti – (1) Do a Fabia, and reposition the car on pricing front. Suddenly the whole package will start to look more appealing, and (2) Add in more kit, variants (e.g.; DSG auto) and keep the pricing same. Personally I find the second option more appealing
vb-san,fully agree with you.Let them add more kit and DSG auto.Currently the Yeti is not at all value for money/worth the trouble of buying it.

Even Qashqai is is not all that desirable.I just mentioned it casually.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:08   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
To each its own. I find the car super practical, and pretty good looking as well (in a quirky way).

Well, what you mentioned are the reasons in favour of the Yeti. This kind of cars is so ideal for our conditions. They’ve maintained that Yeti is a cross-over and not a SUV. Majority of us does not do off-roading on a regular basis (I know you do, and I have enjoyed your travel write-ups and small videos on YouTube ).

Yeti is quite powerful, does have sedan–like road manners, and can handle bad roads without breaking a sweat. And it is rightly sized for easy driving in crowded cities. Actually in this segment, I don’t see many options to choose from – except for the X1 CE, which is so under equipped, compared to the Yeti.

For me Qashqai looks decent and traditional, but lacks the character of the Yeti. And then, internationally the Yeti has created so much trouble for the competition that Nissan came up with Qashqai+2 to counter the threat. Healthy competition anyway!

+1. They have to price it at least closer the Laura elegance. I feel a couple of changes can bring in higher volumes for the Yeti – (1) Do a Fabia, and reposition the car on pricing front. Suddenly the whole package will start to look more appealing, and (2) Add in more kit, variants (e.g.; DSG auto) and keep the pricing same. Personally I find the second option more appealing
I think the Yeti is great, and there is no taking away from the practical aspects of the Yeti offering. It is good quality kit, and all the international motoring press cannot be wrong. I'm just waiting to see if I am moving to a place where I can buy it for 3L cheaper.

As far as the Indian mentality about money equating to size, that's why we have the Fortuner. Most of Bangalore's Shetty and Reddy communities go this route.

Pricing might not necessarily be a matter of more kit for the same money. The duty structures, especially on the CKD, is going to make it difficult to add high ticket options like a DSG or a 170BHP engine without cutting costs somewhere else. It surprises me that in conversations across threads (new Jetta, new VRS Laura, Yeti, et al) people expect the best and obviously do not want to pay for it, when you look at the numbers being sold.

I can imagine the Yeti in 1.2 petrol TSI guise ( with the engine also being plonked into the Polo by next year), with a DSG, and people would still not buy it, because then they would want the diesel, and what do you brag about when you buy a crossover and say it has a hatchback size engine?! And there is no way the diesel Yeti with a DSG and 170 BHP is going to come in cheaper than what it is now without these options. Add the possibility of a government tax up front on diesels of this "luxury" nature, and you can see that we are all indulging in wishful thinking.

No pay, no say!

Last edited by crackingride : 8th June 2011 at 10:10.
crackingride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 11:30   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
I think the Yeti is great, and there is no taking away from the practical aspects of the Yeti offering. It is good quality kit, and all the international motoring press cannot be wrong. I'm just waiting to see if I am moving to a place where I can buy it for 3L cheaper.

The duty structures, especially on the CKD, is going to make it difficult to add high ticket options like a DSG or a 170BHP engine without cutting costs somewhere else.
What people are talking about is the relative price. Internationally Innova and Fortuner are very near in price, here the difference is quite at bit. Similarly the Octavia (Laura here) and Yeti are priced near each other, again here difference is quite a bit.

If the Yeti was priced in line with Laura, there would be more takers. That is reduce the price by 3L and see it fly off the shelves.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:46   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What people are talking about is the relative price. Internationally Innova and Fortuner are very near in price, here the difference is quite at bit. Similarly the Octavia (Laura here) and Yeti are priced near each other, again here difference is quite a bit.

If the Yeti was priced in line with Laura, there would be more takers. That is reduce the price by 3L and see it fly off the shelves.
Not too sure about the Toyotas, Aroy, but I think if you look at the spec sheet, you would see that similar prices translate to similar levels of spec.
The Lauras here are 2 liter engines with 110 BHP, apart from missing the touchscreen entertainment system, front parking sensors, number of airbags, 4x4 haldex clutch etc. Only if you get to the L&K spec, you are beginning to matching the Yeti Elegance spec in terms of power output and features. And once you do get there, you find the prices are quite comparable.

I think at that point, its a matter of some items being ticked, and others being substituted in the two models you are comparing.
Old 10th June 2011, 09:54   #305
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
The Yeti needs to be 15 OTR and under to create an impact, the current pricing is impractical. Its not particularly large, infact it looks like a bigger hatch, albeit a solidly built one.

The 2.0 TDI is priced similar to the 1.8 Civic in other markets like the UK for instance so the premium Skoda is expecting is unrealistic, bar a niche market.

Wonder whether Skoda is interested in volumes at all, maybe the folks go to sleep at night thinking of the great brand they have built.
The price difference is around 2 lakhs - between uk and India prices. This is only expected with the CKD duties-specially the new one. There are ckd cars in India which are almost twice the price. So, I feel that it is not deliberately overpriced. Although many feel it is overpriced just because it is not "huge" enough.

Last edited by mxx : 10th June 2011 at 10:05.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:12   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

A question for all owners or those who have test drive: I tried doing a hard acceleration start with a very tight turn - with and without TCS (Traction Control System) engaged. I found that with TCS on I could not achieve very tight turn.

Have you experienced it? Why should TCS limit the turning? It is supposed to limit torque delivery and prevent wheel spin on acceleration. What is experience from other cars?
Old 12th June 2011, 09:05   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Have you experienced it? Why should TCS limit the turning? It is supposed to limit torque delivery and prevent wheel spin on acceleration. What is experience from other cars?
TCS is nothing but electronic limited slip differential. Just like diff locks or LSD, the TCS will fight any quick acute turn, mistaking it for a wheel spin.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:22   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai : Since TCS is all electronic I would have expected that instead of fighting tight turning it would not allow me to accelerate away. Or it would over ride engine throttle but let me turn in direction I needed.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:50   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ The TCS in my Front wheel drive Laura goes crazy if i accelerate too hard out of a curve in S mode, TCS also slows down the car. With TCS off i can feel the wheels spin. The TCS in my Elantra rarely ever stepped in, may because it was not as powerful.

In Yeti the TCS should cut in later, maybe after the Haldex differential detects loss of grip and activates AWD.

@Sudev- Which variant of Yeti are you talking about here? AFAIK Ambiente does not come with ESP and EDL, it only has ASR(TCS). Elegance gets full fledged ESP system also configured for offroad driving including the Electronic Differential lock.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th June 2011 at 15:53.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:13   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Elegance.
Curiosity compels me to think why this should happen?
Old 28th July 2011, 18:56   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi everyone,
I had recently been to the yeti performance drive and spoke in detail to the Skoda people present. In the next month, they are planning to launch another base variant of the Yeti with 1.6L diesel engine and 4x2 and some of other features deleted (like rear ac vents) and simpler cloth seats, without some other features (hill hold etc.). This version may come in the range of 11.99 ex showroom.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:47   #312
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just an update in case it helps potential customers : Someone I know claims to have gotten a discount of 3 lakh rupees on a brand new Yeti. Well, it's not moving off showroom floors as expected, so I knew there'd be a discount. But 3 lakh rupees is huge!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 22:27   #313
Senior - BHPian

• The low sales of Yeti is mainly due to the fact it is a Skoda.
  • Secondly those who are looking for a proper SUV will definitely go for a Fortuner or Endeavor.
  • The looks do have the capability to turn of some perspective buyers too.
  • And most importantly nobody appreciates a 5 seater SUV/Crossover.
Yeti is a great product. If I had money to buy a car within 20L, I would buy this machine without sparing a second. (Above 20L is the 320D). The engine is proven and excellent. The handling is comparable to sedans. Much better than some sedans infact. Bad roads should be dismissed with ease as it is already good for am-admi offroading. To top it off, the interiors are a class apart. And finally extremely spacious for a family of 5. I dont think a DGS is going to set the sales chart on fire.
Had this been a product from BMW at 1.5X the price, it would sell much more.

With 3 Lac discount it should come around 13L or road. Am I right?

Last edited by oxyzen : 29th July 2011 at 22:29.
Old 31st July 2011, 18:10   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just an update in case it helps potential customers : Someone I know claims to have gotten a discount of 3 lakh rupees on a brand new Yeti. Well, it's not moving off showroom floors as expected, so I knew there'd be a discount. But 3 lakh rupees is huge!
The best that i could squeeze was 1.8 Lakh - on the Ambiente Yeti. Not sure if they will really agree 3 lakhs !!!

GTO, would appreciate if you could confirm the On-Road price.
Old 31st July 2011, 20:25   #315
Senior - BHPian

Yes and it was a part of the skoda celebrations. The ambient trim was advertised at around 14 lakhs ex-showroom chennai. Havent heard of any other offers so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks