Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2010, 07:38   #166
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yeti is not a hard core off roader and hence cannot be compared to the Pajero or others. It cannot even be compared to the Fortuner who comes with inherent off road genes and seems to have proven its capabilities off the road as well as on the road. It is likely to sell to the CRV type owner who perceives the need for 4WD to tackle any slush, snow or ice he/she may encounter or just feels good that it is there on call without having to think too much - the vehicle does the thinking for the driver.
Mostly I guess this vehicle will be bought (at this price) by affluent people with more than one vehicle in the garage.
Also it probably will end up being used only in the cities for the "school run".
In a sense it is only a 4WD with lots of safety features, gizmos and luxe cues, aimed at the urban yuppie - more poseur-oriented than substantial in that sense.
But it is likely to meet with a better response than the CRV considering its price and the fact that it is diesel driven.
Mark my words - majority of people who buy it will buy it because it looks good and feels good - they may never take it off the tarmac but they will still be satisfied with it psychologically.
Whatever it is, our particular needs in India are considerably different from Europe where weather conditions are widely different. Plus, in India, cars such as the Yeti will end up ferrying the lady of the house up and down to the shops and back and will be mostly driven by a Chauffeur.
For this gen of urban affluent Indian, it is apparently more important to be seen to own the latest, rather than to extract maximum value from it.
In that sense it is all about show, rather than substance, in the majority of cases.
Old 21st November 2010, 09:27   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
My thoughts about 1.2TSI engine in cars like Yeti or Golf is it just doesn't make sense due to high cost, low performance and low economies of scales.

The positioning of 1.2L engine in these large cars is as an entry level option in other markets, here that segment is generally non-existent for entry-premium cars.

@ampere, I too would like to buy a Golf at 10 lacs but its not going to happen buddy. If anything, the price of Golf would be on par with Laura, Civic, Altis. It has never been in any country its sold in, and priced higher than Jetta in some. Also, looking at Polo prices currently, that could possibly cost 10 lacs on road if launched with TSI.
Agree with the comments. 1.2 TSI with 7-speed DSG (103/105 BHP) is the entry level choice for VW/Skoda in Asean countries. This includes the Polo, Yeti, Fabia and the entry-level Golf. And in the regular models of Golf / Jetta / Octavia (Laura in India), 1.4 TSI with 122/160BHP does the duty. I guess relating engine-size with price is a thing of the past as every manufacturer is on down-sizing the engines.
But very unlikely to see these options in India due to the fuel quality.

For now, Skoda has done the right thing to bring Yeti the 2.0 diesel, considering the popularity of diesels in India. And that looks the trend with others also (say BMW X1).

And yes, a Golf below 10 lakhs is never going to happen. Golf is positioned above Jetta, and is the most popular model for VW. If they have noticed how India has welcomed Honda Jazz, they'll never even think of bringing Golf to India

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st November 2010 at 09:31. Reason: Added comment on Golf
Old 21st November 2010, 10:08   #168
Team-BHP Support

VW has not revealed there TSI plans for India. But that has to happen at some point in time. The Indian thought process of associating engine displacement to the price has to change. But I am sure VW will not be the one, who will drive this change.
Old 21st November 2010, 10:25   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
VW has not revealed there TSI plans for India. But that has to happen at some point in time. The Indian thought process of associating engine displacement to the price has to change. But I am sure VW will not be the one, who will drive this change.
Very true, and until that thought process change happen VW will be happy giving 3-pot engines, and the so called 1.6 performance engine to us (which is now discontinued in most of the developed markets)

Getting back to the topic, hope the Yeti will get a 1.8 TSI soon, and also a DSG box across the range!
Old 21st November 2010, 10:37   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Very true, and until that thought process change happen VW will be happy giving 3-pot engines, and the so called 1.6 performance engine to us (which is now discontinued in most of the developed markets)

Getting back to the topic, hope the Yeti will get a 1.8 TSI soon, and also a DSG box across the range!
Well said. Also I hope the 1.8 TSI version be priced around 12 to 12.5L range. Very similar to the Laura TSI. And that seems to be a perfect VFM. Given the power of TSI in Laura, we can expect something similar for Yeti as well, provided, the rest of parameters (Torque/weight etc) fall in range.

Also how much of the spares does Yeti share with Laura/Jetta/Passat?
Because that would also drive the cost of ownership.
Old 21st November 2010, 11:52   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Yeti comes in

12.TSI m/a 2wd
1.8 TSI m 2/4wd
2.0 CRD 110 m 2/4wd
2.0 crd 140 m/a 4wd
2.0 crd 170 m 4wd
Add 1.4 Tsi m 2wd to the list. 1.8 TSI is only 4wd, no 2wd on offer.

1.4 requires 95 octane whereas 1.2 and 1.8 can adjust to 91 also.

Official figures of 0-100 are 11.8, 10.5 and 8.4 secs for 1.2 , 1.4 and 1.8 repectively.

1.2 Yeti seems to have earned rave reviews by both auto-mags and the owners in Europe. It is termed as one of the most practical and fun to drive yeti (owing to light and rev happy engine).The figures too suggest that it is no slouch. Skoda can fill the gap between Fabia and Laura by the fwd Yetis.

Last edited by fi.robin : 21st November 2010 at 11:58.
Old 21st November 2010, 12:16   #172
Team-BHP Support

I've been told by a reliable source that the Yeti, in fact, will be available with a petrol engine and the DSG 'box sometime next year. The new petrol variants are expected to be cheaper than the diesel ones. Not sure which petrol-engine would find its way underneath the Yeti's bonnet though.
Old 21st November 2010, 12:49   #173
BHPian

@ampere, you are again off the mark on prices, Laura TSI costs close to 16 lacs in Bangalore with essential additions like Skoda Shield and stuff, 12.5 or 12.99 is the ex-showroom.

Agreed, one can't associate displacement with pricing, but come-on, power outputs can be associated. Reason I compares Jetta petrol with 1.2 TSI is because its an 1.6. An 1.2 TSI is equivalent to any good 1.6L N.A engine, 1.4 TSI (version without twin charger) is with other 2.0L N.A and 1.8 TSI is with 2.5L N.A engines. These are published info of specs to comparison posted by VW which I read somewhere. TSI engines all need 91 or 95 RON fuel to run efficiently which is the current Indian specs available thanks to Bharat IV. 1.8 and 2.0 TSI are the ones available here at the moment. No reason why 1.2 and 1.4 can't run on those fuels.

Main reason for low sales of Jazz is again to do with small 1.2L engine it packs, no matter how good they are. If Honda managed the 1.5 City engine at those prices, it would have been a sales blockbuster like City. Honda were probably scared of loss of City sales which appears to offer more profitability to the company than better quality Jazz.

Anyway, off with OT now. Good to hear Yeti coming with petrol engines, my prediction is 1.8 TSI. Sales seems to have started, already seeing lots of Yetis on Bangalore roads. It certainly has made a good beginning.

Last edited by v.anand : 21st November 2010 at 12:57.
Old 21st November 2010, 13:00   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Agreed, one can't associate displacement with pricing, but come-on, power outputs can be associated. An 1.2 TSI is equivalent to any good 1.6L N.A engine, 1.4 TSI (version without twin charger) is with 2.0L N.A and 1.8 TSI is with 2.5L N.A engine.
Well, you're right about this. The 1.2 TSI motor is as good as any 1.6 motor in India. But will people in India accept this? People generally go by the 'cc' (cubic-capacity) and not by the brake-horsepower produced by the car. A car with a larger engine-displacement will always catch the eye of customers. And if a premium car is sold with a smaller-displacement, they will invariably think that they are getting fooled! It's sad, but it's the truth.

Quote:
Main reason for low sales of Jazz is again to do with small 1.2L engine it packs, no matter how good they are. If Honda managed the 1.5 City engine at those prices, most hatches sold presently would have been Jazz. Honda were probably scared of loss of City sales which appears to offer more profitability to the company.

Anyway, off with OT now.

Honda wanted to create a clear distinction between the City and the Jazz and that's why they introduced the Jazz with just one engine option i.e. the 1.2 iVtec motor. If they had, however, introduced the 1.5 mill, things would have been considerably different and the Polo/Punto/i20 wouldn't have sold as well as they are selling now!

Apart from this, the jazz doesn't come with several key features just so that Honda can ensure the customers that the Jazz is positioned one segment lower than the City.
Old 21st November 2010, 13:10   #175
BHPian

@suhaas307, positive side to low sales of Jazz is owners like you can enjoy its exclusivity, something like Palio owners did too. Its a terrific package at mass market prices with exclusivity unlike something like Swift, i20 etc., which one sees in hordes on the roads. To me, the only area City beats Jazz in spite of all the additional features is the engine.
Old 21st November 2010, 16:05   #176
Team-BHP Support

@Anand, I did mean ex-show room only. The petrol looks to be really good for the Yeti, I somehow have a feeling it would make good numbers.

With the power delivered I meant if the torque/weight ratios are similar to Laura, the the power delivered would come out in the same range.
Old 21st November 2010, 18:43   #177
BHPian

OTR prices for the Yeti in Ahmedabad

Ambiente: INR 1738736 (incl INR 78500 for Skoda Shield)
Elegance : INR 1874881 (incl INR 83000 for Skoda Shield)

Had an extensive TD subsequent to reading the review. The heart says "Go for IT" but given the price and the Skoda horror tales, the brain says "Think Twice!"

The Elegance definitely makes more sense compared to the Ambiente but overall I feel the price is still a bit steep. I really really want to get this car. But I would request a second opinion from the stalwarts on this site regarding the price and its justification

Gentlemen your opinion does matter a lot so could you please oblige?

BTW I have been reading about the general Indian mindset as regards SUV and the Yeti's size vis a vis but I was pleasantly surprised to note that a lot of prospective customers at the local Skoda Showroom were in fact pleased about the demure proportions. It is actually turning out to be the USP for Yeti!
Old 21st November 2010, 18:59   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arethusa View Post
OTR prices for the Yeti in Ahmedabad

Ambiente: INR 1738736 (incl INR 78500 for Skoda Shield)
Elegance : INR 1874881 (incl INR 83000 for Skoda Shield)
Is it that big a difference between AMD and BLR? I remember Shankar mentioning 20.75 OTR in BLR! Correct me if I am wrong Shankar.
Old 21st November 2010, 20:50   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Is it that big a difference between AMD and BLR? I remember Shankar mentioning 20.75 OTR in BLR! Correct me if I am wrong Shankar.
I was shocked as well when I read the prices for Mumbai and Bangalore and hence, I decided to post the figures.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:52   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup higher percentage of registration and insurance. I suppose Registration is around 18% on ex-showroom price.
What's the ex showroom price in Ahmedabad?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks