Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2015, 23:36   #871
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review

As I have explained in my earlier post, my high level of satisfaction with Etios meant an extended ownership period of another five years. So I am going to miss on the excitement of a new car for some time. The only way to spice things up a bit is by giving an aesthetic boost to my Etios.

In the cosmetic make-over project for my Etios, I originally decided to stick to Toyota genuine accessories only. The project had to address both the exteriors and interiors.

Exteriors

This is a very tough project as we have very few options from Toyota to spice up the exterior look. The following are some of the key options available.
  • TRD bumper spoiler (front and rear)
  • Trunk lid spoiler
  • Lamp chrome garnish (front & rear)
  • Bumper corner protector
  • Rear door garnish
  • Door side visor with chrome
Frankly, none of the options were interesting and this is one area Toyota can improve. I could only shortlist TRD bumper spoilers (front and rear) and lamp chrome garnish. But after a bit of consideration, I had to drop TRD bumper spoiler for two reasons. It does not make a huge visual impact and it is expensive. It is not worth its price for me.

So I was left with only lamp chrome garnish. Etios is already loaded with lots of chrome and adding more of the same could be risky. So I hesitated a lot before deciding in favour of lamp chrome garnish. This gives a certain lift to the front and rear lamps even while the added chrome stays largely unnoticed. So I went ahead with this minor upliftment and given below are the pictures.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-1.jpgToyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-img_20151220_155700.jpg

A casual observer could miss the chrome garnish in the above pictures but still it does its bit to enhance the visual appeal in a small way.

Interiors

Here again, the options are limited but not as bad as the exteriors. I decided to go for the following in little time.
  • Wood finish arm rest (all 4 doors)
  • Wood finish gear knob
I considered changing the following but decided against since the existing ones are still in excellent condition.
  • Seat cover change
  • Steering cover change

Other than these, Toyota does not offer much in terms of spicing up the interiors. If there was an option of changing my old ORVMs to the new ones with indicators, I would have done that. But Toyota does not offer this option to the old Etios model owners. Given below are the pictures of wood finish door arm rest and wooden gear knob.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-img_20151225_122626.jpgToyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-img_20151225_2111214.jpg

I wanted to add center arm rest (front and rear) but Toyota offers only rear seat center arm rest. The problem with the rear arm rest is its lack of integration with the rear seat. The rear arm rest has to be removed if we need to seat 3 passengers on the back seat. Since the process appeared cumbersome, I dropped the idea of rear arm rest. Toyota does not offer the center arm rest for front seat and so I went for online purchase of arm rest. Since my dealer refused to fix anything other than a genuine Toyota accessory, I got the same fixed by a car spa guy. He did a good job in fixing it properly. It offers a very good support to my left hand while driving. The only inconvenience is in operating the hand brake as the arm rest does restrict the hand movement. Given below is the picture of the center armrest for the driver.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-img_20151225_132236.jpg

I hope Toyota offers a diamond cut alloy wheel option in future. It looks cute on the Etios Liva LE.

Last edited by amateurpro : 25th December 2015 at 23:40.
amateurpro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 00:00   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
As I have explained in my earlier post, my high level of satisfaction with Etios meant an extended ownership period of another five years. So I am going to miss on the excitement of a new car for some time.
Don't spend too much. A few exciting releases are forthcoming.
  1. Automatic transmission for Etios.
  2. The release of Vios.
  3. The new 1.4 d-4d vgt engine with peak torque of 205 Nm from as low an rpm as 1400 rpms all the way till 2800 rpms. I'm not sure if this engine will be given only for the corolla or whether it'll be passed on to Vios as well.
  4. The all new etios with all new interiors and exteriors.

Quote:
If there was an option of changing my old ORVMs to the new ones with indicators, I would have done that.
I prefer the old orvms. Even though, not aesthetically pleasing, Gives a much better view of the rear.

Quote:
Given below are the pictures of wood finish door arm rest and wooden gear knob.

Attachment 1453315Attachment 1453317
The problem with the wooden gear knob is that the letters in it will fade away fast. I've tried it on my mother's liva. The silver gear knob on my etios has those letters still. It could also have to do with the grip we have on the gear. I normally shift with pressure from one or two fingers while my mother uses her hand on top of the gear.

Quote:
I wanted to add center arm rest (front and rear) but Toyota offers only rear seat center arm rest. The problem with the rear arm rest is its lack of integration with the rear seat. The rear arm rest has to be removed if we need to seat 3 passengers on the back seat. Since the process appeared cumbersome, I dropped the idea of rear arm rest.
I would highly recommend that you reconsider this. This is one of the best accessories I've bought for the etios. Makes traveling in the rear seat very comfortable. I've used the make shift arm rests in other cars and this one stands out. In fact it's one of the most comfortable and ergonomic arm rests I've used in the rear seat of a car. Regarding the trouble of dismantling when you travel with 5, when you have 595 liter of boot space, why bother! Go for it.

Last edited by amalji : 26th December 2015 at 00:02.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 20:51   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I would highly recommend that you reconsider this. This is one of the best accessories I've bought for the etios. Makes traveling in the rear seat very comfortable. I've used the make shift arm rests in other cars and this one stands out. In fact it's one of the most comfortable and ergonomic arm rests I've used in the rear seat of a car. Regarding the trouble of dismantling when you travel with 5, when you have 595 liter of boot space, why bother! Go for it.
I would certainly think of picking the rear seat arm rest up anytime soon since you have shared your first hand positive experience.

My total bill on all the above minor cosmetic changes (read accessories) were just around 14 K.

I also wanted new tyres since the tyres have clocked around 50,000 kms. I wanted to go in for Michelin but the service person persuaded me to continue with Bridgestone. He mentioned about the short life of Michelin in Indian roads but I am not sure if that was a correct assessment. I was just thinking about my very own positive experience with Bridgestone for the last 5 years and so I decided to stick with Bridgestone again.

In addition, I have done the underbody coating since the earlier one was around five years old. The tyre change and the underbody coating have made the drive noticeably quieter. The service station actually suggested that the wiper alone be replaced. The tyres and the underbody coating were done only at my insistence in view of the age of the tyres and the unprecedented rains in Chennai.

My 50,000 kms service costed me around 29 grand that included the cost of replacing 4 tyres (185 60 R 15), underbody coating, new wiper and the service charges. I would consider it very reasonable by any standards.

Last edited by amateurpro : 27th December 2015 at 20:53.
amateurpro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 20:01   #874
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The all new etios with all new interiors and exteriors.

Hi
Could you please share more information on this? I am looking for a car Change and looking at etios too. If there is going to be any new facelift around the corner, kindly share some info about the same.

Regards
Balaji
Old 11th January 2016, 20:16   #875
BHPian

Is this the one which talks about 2016 Etios?

http://www.toyotarelease.com/2014/11...and-specs.html
Old 11th January 2016, 23:32   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post

Seems like the one I bought last month.
Old 12th January 2016, 11:23   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Don't spend too much. A few exciting releases are forthcoming.
  1. The all new etios with all new interiors and exteriors.
Hi amalji, can you kindly elucidate when toyota is going to launch the refurbished etios? I have heard about the upcoming Vios but seemed to have missed the etios news . I closely follow your thread as well as Samba's and am a big fan of Toyota ,though i drive a 2008 Wagon R.Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 12th January 2016 at 17:29. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 12th January 2016, 15:26   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Could you please share more information on this? I am looking for a car Change and looking at etios too. If there is going to be any new facelift around the corner, kindly share some info about the same.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver76 View Post
Hi amalji, can you kindly elucidate when toyota is going to launch the refurbished etios? I have heard about the upcoming Vios but seemed to have missed the etios news . I closely follow your thread as well as Samba's and am a big fan of Toyota ,though i drive a 2008 Wagon R.Thanks
It's supposed to be released in the Auto Expo 2016 in Delhi which is supposed to happen next month - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-381072.aspx

A few photos have been doing the rounds. But, not sure about its authenticity though.

Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-12241638_10207250314272730_5750380154697367468_n.jpg
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-12247030_10207250313912721_6607615780083476126_n.jpg
Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review-12246756_10207250313592713_5305519645680436015_n.jpg
amalji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 15:30   #879
BHPian

Quote:
It's supposed to be released in the Auto Expo 2016 in Delhi which is supposed to happen next month - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-381072.aspx

A few photos have been doing the rounds. But, not sure about its authenticity though.

]
Thanks for the share. I think i can wait for a month then I think in general that will also give an idea about any new cars coming up for India.
Old 13th February 2016, 15:20   #880
BHPian

Looks like we will not get this facelift at least in 2016. I am planning to book the etios Diesel top end. If people have idea about facelift for etios please update.
Old 14th February 2016, 00:02   #881
BHPian

If the Etios looked anything like this I'd have bought it long ago.
Quote:
A few photos have been doing the rounds. But, not sure about its authenticity though
Old 14th February 2016, 10:06   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
If the Etios looked anything like this I'd have bought it long ago.
Actually, the Etios looks "somewhat" like this.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 23:22   #883
BHPian

LOL that's true
Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Actually, the Etios looks "somewhat" like this.
Just changing the headlights, tail lights, grille and dash makes it so gorgeous. In fact I don't mind the external design so much, I'd be very happy even if they gave a dashboard like this.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 01:52   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
LOL that's true

Just changing the headlights, tail lights, grille and dash makes it so gorgeous. In fact I don't mind the external design so much, I'd be very happy even if they gave a dashboard like this.
Looking at the new design, I have a feeling that everything like headlights, tail lights and grille can be fitted with the old car.
But, I have my doubt with the dash. If this is the new design, I'll be happy. But sad at the same time that I can't change my old Liva into this.
Given what what Toyota goes by, I don't think the dash will change this much. The steering already has, but that's about all.
People have a problem with centrally mounted instrument cluster in India, I can understand. But why is that, I never could fathom, not even from T-BHP members.
In our childhood, the instrument cluster used to look like ammeters and they were placed centrally, but not upwards more towards the thighs than eye-level. Even then, the cars used to move.
And Etios moves better than many cars I have driven.

Last edited by subratasenn : 15th February 2016 at 01:56.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 09:43   #885
BHPian

The source of those images is more of a blog presenting enthusiasts' ideas and designs. http://autoprojecoes.blogspot.in/201...tios-2015.html

As these are not official ones, I do not expect anything like this coming out at all. But, Autocar had also reported on a new top-hat version of Etios here: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...16-381072.aspx:
Quote:
According to sources, the new 2016 Toyota Etios will come with a completely new ‘top hat’ and will bear little resemblance to the robust but boxy shape of the current model.
So, wait and watch for now.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed