Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 15:25   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It all comes down too, 2 school of thoughts. Honda is tried and tested, VW is unknown territory but low running costs. A part of me wants Vento D, a part of me wants City with a diesel hatchback for city driving. Lets wait and watch, which way the cookie crumbles...
But the cost for them will not be same

HONDA CITY + DIESEL HATCH >>> VW VENTO TDI. Are you planning to shelve off Swift for a diesel sedan in that case. Or maybe you can spend some extra moolah

I have a similar situation going and trying to decide at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ul-garage.html

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th August 2010 at 15:30.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:36   #317
BHPian

My few pence:
After reading GTO's and various other articles on road test reports of Vento Petrol I am little put off. It's less punchy, underpowered, not so great throttle response. Is this VW's latest offering to us? I was certain that VW Vento will obliterate the ANHC sales chart but now I don't have any doubt saying that ANHC still rules the C segement.
GTO, do you still recommend going for VW Vento Petrol?
Old 20th August 2010, 17:27   #318
BHPian

Buying the trendline diesel tomorrow 1st half. Highline is way above my budget which started at 8 L and i guess i cant wait for the comfortline! I feel happy and kinda disappointed too.. but i guess one cant get everything!

Thanks GTO and others for a valuable discussion..
Old 20th August 2010, 17:32   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buying the trendline diesel tomorrow 1st half. Highline is way above my budget which started at 8 L and i guess i cant wait for the comfortline! I feel happy and kinda disappointed too.. but i guess one cant get everything!
Any quotes when will you get the delivery? Is it off the shelf? I mean will you get delivery from the first lot?
Old 20th August 2010, 17:59   #320
BHPian

6-8 weeks from booking. the guy told me if comfortline is launched before delivery then i can transfer my booking without penalty. but extension in waiting period will happen
Old 20th August 2010, 18:00   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
What is VW upto? They launch it amidst great hype and take a month for the prices to go public. Then there is no sign of the display Car, let alone a test drive.
VW Downtown called me a couple of times after I visited them- they were nice enough but firm that the display and TD car will only arrive on Sep 5th. Struck me as odd that they seemed very keen to confirm my booking and I had to make it clear that I am not wrting any cheques till I do a TD that too on the model of my choice.
I called up the Pune guys and same story- TD and display car only in first week of Sep! With the Chakan plant so close by, why? I read early on that someone saw the Vento in Cochin and GTO test-drove it in Delhi- did they make only a handful of cars for display and TD? That's strange!

This could be an attempt to raise the hype around the car but frankly it's just off-putting. Am seriously considering going over to Honda and TDing their AT. Maybe they offer me an offer I can't refuse!

BTW I've seen so many references to the "Comfortline" on TBHP won't be suprised if the VW guys call it that when they do launch it! My personal preference is for the Highline though- seems to have everything required for a safe, comfortable family car.

Last edited by noopster : 20th August 2010 at 18:03.
Old 20th August 2010, 18:42   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I called up the Pune guys and same story- TD and display car only in first week of Sep! With the Chakan plant so close by, why? I read early on that someone saw the Vento in Cochin and GTO test-drove it in Delhi- did they make only a handful of cars for display and TD? That's strange!
It may probably be for RTO related issues.
For a car to run on local roads, insurance and RTO approval is required for that vehicle, and RTO being a state subject, each state will go through its own approval process to give a fitness certificate or equivalent for that model. That may be taking time, and the reason for different state being available at different time.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:32   #323
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Honda was offering loyalty bonus a month before Vento was launched... Total discounts of about 22-25k are available across range including loyalty bonus and some other discounts. Dealer attitude with me has been A+.
VW on the other hand has diesel card to play. Its very difficult for Honda to match the value proposition of the diesel. Having said that dealer attitude put me off seriously. Yet to test drive the Vento. Though I got a chance to listen to Polo stereo and it sucked when compared to ANHC.

It all comes down too, 2 school of thoughts. Honda is tried and tested, VW is unknown territory but low running costs. A part of me wants Vento D, a part of me wants City with a diesel hatchback for city driving. Lets wait and watch, which way the cookie crumbles...
Diesel is only attractive for the person who runs the car a lot. There are those who will never give up the refinness of the petrol engine unless really compelled to buy a diesel. Note that even though the diesels are far better than what they were but still a petrol is a petrol
A diesel hatch is more suited if its only 2-3 people that will be seated and with a lot of in city run. BTW what made you arrive at the conclusion of VW has low running costs?
Old 20th August 2010, 21:17   #324
Senior - BHPian

I guess he was referring to the fact that diesel Vento has lower running costs vis a vis a petrol city.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:04   #325
BHPian

Was just browsing around, found this link to the International engine of the year website. The Vento 1.6L oil burner was one of the candidates for the award.

Volkswagen 1.6-litre TDi (VW Polo, Jetta, Passat, Audi A3, Seat Ibiza, Seat Leon, Altea/XL/Freetrack).

INTERNATIONAL ENGINE OF THE YEAR 2010
Old 20th August 2010, 23:05   #326
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Was just browsing around, found this link to the International engine of the year website. The Vento 1.6L oil burner was one of the candidates for the award.

Volkswagen 1.6-litre TDi (VW Polo, Jetta, Passat, Audi A3, Seat Ibiza, Seat Leon, Altea/XL/Freetrack).

INTERNATIONAL ENGINE OF THE YEAR 2010
Not surprising. After all the tuned version is used in Polo cup racing.
Btw, I like the way VW group companies use diesels in racing, Audi with its r10, vw with its polo
Old 20th August 2010, 23:27   #327
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mkh;2036154]Diesel is only attractive for the person who runs the car a lot.

I think it is a misconcieved notion which most people have that diesels are only for highway stormers. In innercity crawls and stop and go traffic, we burn fuel at an alarming rate without realizing it. And, in stop and go traffic and at crawl speeds with aircon on, petrol cars guzzle fuel much more than a diesel car. Diesel consumption hardly changes under aircon load, stop and go traffic, frequent gear changes and under passenger load. But the same thing plays havoc with a petrol car. In inner city peak traffic, in traffic jams, car's forward motion is nearly zero and your cars engine keeps running like a generator, running aircon and inching forward the car. Sometimes you travel 3 kms in 20 minutes in peak traffic. Now you run a petrol car for 20 minutes idling in traffic with aircon running and do the same in a diesel car and you will see the difference.

Last edited by pgsagar : 20th August 2010 at 23:30.
Old 21st August 2010, 06:30   #328

found the dealer in Poona to be very good.

after the launch of the vento in Delhi some time last month went to the dealer in Poona t enquire about the car. they told me very frankly that they don't know any thing else other than what is stated in the press release.

they gave me an option to book the polo & convert the booking to vento after the final launch by 15 Sept. I did the same by paying rs.50000/-.

on 12/8 got an sms from the dealer informing about the launch & ex-showroom price of the vento.

later in the day they contacted me and inquired about my decision so as to change my booking from polo to vento.

they have also given me an option to cancelling my booking for the vento if I don't like the car after the t.d. with a full refund. they also informed me that the car will be available for t.d. only by 1/9.

after getting all the above information I went ahead & booked the diesel highline white by paying rs.75000/-.

have been promised a car from the first lot which they are receiving on the 6th. of September.

hence no scope of complaints against Poona vw dealer from my side.

also the dealer showed me a lot of different reading material that vw has printed for their clients which is very informative and will definetily answer many questions raised here.

eagerly waiting for the car.
Old 21st August 2010, 08:34   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
VW Downtown called me a couple of times after I visited them- they were nice enough but firm that the display and TD car will only arrive on Sep 5th. Struck me as odd that they seemed very keen to confirm my booking and I had to make it clear that I am not wrting any cheques till I do a TD that too on the model of my choice.

This could be an attempt to raise the hype around the car but frankly it's just off-putting. Am seriously considering going over to Honda and TDing their AT. Maybe they offer me an offer I can't refuse!

BTW I've seen so many references to the "Comfortline" on TBHP won't be suprised if the VW guys call it that when they do launch it! My personal preference is for the Highline though- seems to have everything required for a safe, comfortable family car.
Yes, The base petrol version was here just for two days. No test drive. They had to do this because of the huge bookings from Cochin. Said they would provide a TD car by last week of Aug and by last week of sept I would get my car.
Old 21st August 2010, 08:36   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

The seats are pretty light in color. Sad that they dont provide leather seats even for the top end model. I'm switching to leather seats and the VW dealer quoted 25k just for the seats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks