Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 14:18   #646
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wish people would stop grumbling about the Vento being a Polo with a Boot.
You are right brother.

The reason people are criticizing is because of it's cost. A Polo with a boot costs around 2L+ more! This is the general view here!
Old 17th September 2010, 15:04   #647
BHPian

Quote:

It's supposed to be a Polo with a boot. Of course it looks like a Polo from the front

Sorry for shouting, but, as a criticism, or "negative point," this is just so silly.

Would anybody list no hatchback version as being a positive aspect of, just for instance, a Honda?

Bro you are not reading the point completely.
It said something more than that.

1) Its as POLO with boot!!! Doesn't give a feel of 10 lac car. Front view is 100% Polo. Honda does offer the 10L pay image value.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 17th September 2010 at 15:06.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:19   #648
Senior - BHPian

I am a great fan of ANHC's external stying. But I did not even took a test drive when i was searching for a car 6 months ago. Not because I can't afford the car. I simply hate brands which short change people. The actual price of ANHC should have been 1lacs less. Just a look at the CC knobs and central console is enough to understand how much Honda is valuing the customer who is paying more than 1 million.
Though I am not a big fan of Vento, I think the car specially the Diesel is worth the price. It is not a negative that the car resembles Polo which is appreciated unanimously for its looks. Every sedan can be visualized as some hatch with a boot.
@Earthed, Would like to know what was the premium you were expecting on Vento, if not 2lacs?

Last edited by poloman : 17th September 2010 at 15:22.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:41   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's supposed to be a Polo with a boot. Of course it looks like a Polo from the front

Sorry for shouting, but, as a criticism, or "negative point," this is just so silly.

Would anybody list no hatchback version as being a positive aspect of, just for instance, a Honda?
I think the criticism cannot be avoided given that the hatch version was launched first. And that the sedan does really look similar to its hatch version. Same goes for Swift->Dzire, Vista->Manza etc. So the general feeling is that the company is adding "just a boot" and charging a few lakhs extra.

It's quite understandable that (in India) when somebody is paying 9L for a sedan (status symbol), they don't want people to mistake it for a 4.5L hatch.

However, very few people talk of Linea being "Punto with boot" or City being "Jazz with boot" even though that's essentially what they are. I guess that's because the sedan versions came first - and they don't look similar to their hatch versions! So if Toyota is smart, they should launch the Etios sedan before the Etios hatch
Old 17th September 2010, 15:45   #650
BHPian

The price delta over the Polo highline, though on the higher side, the Vento diesel sure seems to be a great pick and it will only get better over time in my opinion. More localization, more options, more gadgetry. Let's give these guys time to settle down with the production.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:00   #651
BHPian

It is OK for Vento to be called Polo with a boot. In fact it is marketed in Russia as Polo sedan. However thing to be noted is that the Vento has a longer wheel base which shows with improved rear passenger space and I have read somewhere it also has a wider track, so in fact it is a larger polo with a boot. In addition it also has more powerful engines at present.
Old 17th September 2010, 16:08   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the criticism cannot be avoided given that the hatch version was launched first. And that the sedan does really look similar to its hatch version.
Cannot be avoided? Why should there be any criticism at all?

Is it that even association with a hatchback is seen as a bad thing? This is just an irrational prejudice: surely Team-BHPers can leave it behind?
Old 17th September 2010, 16:20   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Is it that even association with a hatchback is seen as a bad thing? This is just an irrational prejudice: surely Team-BHPers can leave it behind?
Very aptly said. While I was in Tokyo, on one of the first few days there, I saw the SX4 hatch which had already been launched as a sedan in India. And I remember saying to myself; “I like the version with the boot better” Of course this is completely my personal opinion
Old 17th September 2010, 17:36   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cannot be avoided? Why should there be any criticism at all?

I think anyone is well within their rights to think why they should spend more from their own pockets when they can get 90% of the car for 60% of the cost. It is from this perspective that the comparisons/associations with the hatch version come in and I think the comparions are valid.

For Vento, the HL version has betters specs than the Polo HL, but the TL versions are almost equally spec-ed (correct me if I'm wrong). So how many features are extra in TL other than the boot?

It may be an irrational prejudice because the cars that suffer from it are the ones where the hatch version came first. As I mentioned in my earlier post, nobody talks of Linea as "Punto with boot".

Again, irrational perhaps, but given that sedans are status symbols in India, there may be people who don't want a sedan that others might easily mistake for a hatch.

We can debate endlessly, but none of it would matter if the product is good.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:14   #655
Senior - BHPian

A 10L sedan in India is about having something exclusive. If a sedan looks almost like a hatchback and people think its a negative, theres not a problem. Its their hard earned 10L.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:22   #656
BHPian

Days are running but still not even a single Vento Ownership review!
Does that means no Vento 's were delivered yet?

Eagerly waiting check one.

Hatch with Boot topic:
Come on guys Opinion differs from person to person,
Some people dont see a difference between a BMW3 and 5 series at a glance, so does that stop a enthusiastic customer from buying one - Not really

why worry about perceptions,Lets stop debating and enjoy motoring

Last edited by thereal : 17th September 2010 at 18:25.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:49   #657
BANNED

Enjoy!!

OKAY GUYS! After the HOT debate, here are some pics of RED HOT VENTO!

Finally test drove the Vento Petrol, 5 minutes back! Man.. I'm loving it!

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-spm_a0058.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-spm_a0056.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-spm_a0051.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-spm_a0054.jpg
Old 17th September 2010, 19:31   #658
Senior - BHPian

@thereal Yes deliveries have started and i think 1 or 2 bhpians have already got their cars.
Heres a ownership thread that was started;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 17th September 2010, 21:51   #659
BHPian

Quote:
I think the criticism cannot be avoided given that the hatch version was launched first. And that the sedan does really look similar to its hatch version. Same goes for Swift->Dzire, Vista->Manza etc. So the general feeling is that the company is adding "just a boot" and charging a few lakhs extra.

It's quite understandable that (in India) when somebody is paying 9L for a sedan (status symbol), they don't want people to mistake it for a 4.5L hatch.
How much of difference this 'hatch with a boot' perspective make? DZire is indeed a hit here even after being a hatch with a misfit boot. Isn't it?. Ultimately what matters is if its really VFM. I think we Indians, as customers, are good in identifying VFM products. . So finally if a good majority feels that Vento is VFM with respect to their individual priorities, then thats it. I think at least the diesel will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
1) Its as POLO with boot!!! Doesn't give a feel of 10 lac car. Front view is 100% Polo. Honda does offer the 10L pay image value.
I love the ANHC looks. Though Vento design is not upto that, its certainly worth compared to what i get for similar money (10L) here in India now. Now if your point is whether the cars in this segment are worth 10L, I fully agree. They are NOT. And ANHC is certainly on top of that list then. But do we have an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
I am ready to pay a million for Vento as long as its completely worth it. "Imported engine and gearbox" - This turns me off! 40% parts are imported for a mass seller and no free services??!
Free services - Fully agree.
Imported engine and gearbox - For me, thats not a concern. Most of them start it that way. Dont they? Localization generally means, more profit for them as they are not going to reduce the price later.

Quote:
Again, irrational perhaps, but given that sedans are status symbols in India, there may be people who don't want a sedan that others might easily mistake for a hatch.
Personally, I dont have a problem here as well. I like polo for its looks - what i dont like is the engine and interior space. Now if my sedan looks similar to a polo from front, thats definitely not a bad thing. Here I get a good engine, good space inside and sufficient boot for my long drives. So its indeed a good option in this category the way I see it.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:50   #660
BANNED

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2010 at 13:38. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the post.
EARTHed is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks