Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 11:20   #691
ajai_dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bottomline : The Vento is a superior C segment sedan, than the Polo is a B segment hatchback.
GTO i wanted to know when you test drove the car did you feel a slight wobble around 120-130kph because i drove it at that speed during a test drive and people here are saying that its not so?

Its kinnda like what you get from Cruze around 130kph but with the Cruze it goes away but with this it did not go away, i was not confident to push it higher.

Old 20th September 2010, 12:02   #692
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
the million dollar Q: should i buy a linea mjd e+ via csd or a vento tdi highline ? price margin is easily 200 grand! any comment, GTO?
Link to comparison thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmaldi View Post
With in all diesel sedan in this rannge, Vento Highline diesel is costing approx 10.3 in New Delhi OTR. If someone can streach their budget by 2-3L then he can get Cruze LT Model.
If he could, sure. The Altis D-4D is also an option for those wanting a no-nonsense commuter sedan.

However, cars in the C+ segment are getting hammered by their C segment siblings. Take the Vento : It is (surprisingly) more comfortable on the back seat than the Jetta. Same engine power. Hardly anything missing on the equipment side. Ask Honda of the cross-shopping between the Civic and City, and just how many customers the former loses to the latter. With time, the C segments will only get better, bigger, more powerful and well-equipped. They provide 90% of the car you get in the C+ segment, at 75% of the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I highlighted 4 points: brey, rotary switch, flimsy boot and boot release. I guess I am a finicky person. I waited for quite a long time because I couldn't stand the yellow faux wood trim on the Innova. So do I believe I am nitpicking? Yes, I do.
Which car in the C segment is perfect? The Honda City was the only all-rounder, and now the Vento comes closest in terms of a package. The points you listed are hardly deal breakers.

Quote:
GTO i wanted to know when you test drove the car did you feel a slight wobble around 120-130kph because i drove it at that speed during a test drive and people here are saying that its not so?
Nope, not in the petrol nor in the diesel.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:52   #693
BHPian

Quote:

Which car in the C segment is perfect? The Honda City was the only all-rounder, and now the Vento comes closest in terms of a package. The points you listed are hardly deal breakers.
Well said GTO!
This was the exact thought process I had, when I zeroed in on Vento.
All the cars in the C segment have some or the other flaw (which again could be out of one's personal preferences) and when you have to buy one of those, you will go for the one, which ticks most of your must-have.

When I was on the hunt, I evaluated the (diesel) cars below
1) Hyundai Verna - No air bags, poor handling at high speeds, transformed look
2) Fiat Linea MJD E+ - Poor interior finish, Some of the nightmare stories I heard from my cousin, who owns a Linea.
3) Dzire - The bad boot integration
4) Manza - never gave me that premium feel except for rear seat legspace.
(Please note that these all my personal opinions and I do respect these cars for some of their unique features)

Overall, I do realise that Vento has some flaws like no usb/aux, unknown A** etc. But these were not deal-breakers for me and i felt that the car was best packaged in this segment. In terms of it looking like a Polo from front, I am a fan of that understated, ageless look.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:16   #694
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen India’s Chief general manager (marketing) Lutz Kothe talks to Financial Express on the ridiculous waiting period for the Volkswagen Polo in India :

Our Chakan facility is operating in full steam , customers won’t have to wait for too long for the Vento. We are going to cut the lead time (waiting period). It would be about 3-4 months in general.

Read more: Indian Autos Blog | Indian Automobile Blog | Auto News India | Car News India
Old 20th September 2010, 16:56   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post

Its kinnda like what you get from Cruze around 130kph but with the Cruze it goes away but with this it did not go away, i was not confident to push it higher.
could be over/wrongly inflated tyres.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:31   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Wow. Congratulations msd63.
IIRC, you also booked your vento at VW Palace cross right?
Strangely, I haven't got any such directives from them (My booking was around 15th July).
Please update us on the progress with your booking.
Made the balance payment today. Spoke to the sales manager who said something about a launch bash after which the cars will be delivered. Tentatively it would be around wednesday next week. May get invited to the launch bash which apparently is at Hotel Ashok. He said he will get in touch within a couple of days. I had repeatedly badgered the sales executive and the manager about the delivery date. Apparently the cars are in their yard at Nelamangala.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:47   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Good point. In fact I liked the ANHC's design so much and wanted to go for it. 3 issues that I had because of which I would not call it an all-rounder (Yes I know. these are not important for all. At least #1 is very imp to me)

1) Handling bad and uneven, bumpy roads - scraping bottom,
2) Diesel option
3) the obvious, price.
Vento satisfies at least the first 2 points.

Good thing about Vento is that it satisfies almost all the major parameters. Bad thing is that it messed up many minor things; as discussed here - front arm rest, music system, inner rear view mirror, minor vibration in clutch pedal (I am concerned about this), rear tow hook, Inner part of boot etc. Hope they are going to fix most of these soon. But are these deal breakers?. I don't think so.
Old 21st September 2010, 00:33   #698
BHPian

Value means different things for different people. As far as I am concerned, I think :

1. The Manza and Dzire are maximum value for absolutely minimum rupee as far as sedans are concerned. Both make their quality:quantity positioning very clear and offer very few ownership disadvantages for their price.
2. The verna, fiesta and linea are the options for someone looking to differentiate from the crowd for a 1.5-2 lakhs extra. All cars offer some amount of exclusivity and have respective USPs over the dzire and manza. However, they each have their areas where the extra money doesn't deliver the desired effect.
3. The Vento offers the overall best package with very few deal breakers. I think overall, the Vento HL TDI offers nearly as much as cars in the next segment(Corolla, Cruze, Jetta, Laura) for 65-75% of the price. It also provides the right 'base' amount of luxe. The main product disadvantage is probably just the audio system and lack of steering controls. Also, i concede the A.S.S is unexplored and will probably be a wee bit more pricey than the competition

Last edited by acidkill : 21st September 2010 at 00:34.
Old 21st September 2010, 02:29   #699
BHPian

Well put GTO...I see some friends getting too critical of Vento. But the fact is that the flaws of the Vento are too petty compared to the others cars' flaws. In petrol, Honda city still might just pip it to the post, but the diesel version is a no brainer literally. And someone was mentioning it as a hatch with a boot. Really amusing as one needs to check out a car named 'dzire' to really understand the term.

Anyways, went ahead and and booked a white Vento diesel HL on Aug 16 itself at Orion, Hyd even without seeing the car in flesh as I had a lot of confidence in the product and the reviews too were generally positive. However, was really frustrated today when the sales executive gave me a tentative launch date of Oct 15. Oct 15!!!!! for gods sake when I had booked it 2 months in advance and when no one really had seen the car! I don't understand if there is an issue with the manufacturer or dealer or both. Atleast the first lots should be on time. I had to blackmail the guy literally that I'd rather book the upcoming Linea Tjet and still have it before the promised launch date of Vento.

Would like to understand if this is a problem with VW Hyderabad or pan-India. To all those who have booked the Vento in Aug, what's the delivery date u hav been promised?
Would really appreciate some feedback as I need to knock some sense into the dealer for sm reality check.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:43   #700
BHPian

Truly innovative print ad campaign of the Vento. Today morning as I picked up my copy of Times of India I was surprised to hear a voice as if coming from a cell phone speaker or a small speaker of some sort. The recorded voice was an audio advertisement for VW Vento.

The last page of today's newspaper has a full page ad for the Vento. The marketing guys have spent well to actually be able to stick a small plastic speaker on the ad page.

The recording was going on and on about the Vento and I was wondering how to stop it. Finally I figured out that the speaker has a light sensor to start and stop the audio. When the newspaper is delivered it is folded and light doesn't reach the sensor. The moment you pick up the paper and unfold it the sensor gets the light and starts the audio.

Bravo... Great idea.

I have never seen an advertisement like this before. VW is digging into it's deep pockets to spend so much on a print ad campaign.

Let's hope that they have also invested enough in the production assembly line to give prompt deliveries to all bookings which they have received and will be getting in the coming festive season.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:03   #701

Guys, check out the website - Volkswagen Konfigurator. It gives you a whole lot about the accesories available with the Vento, with a price list. I really liked the Navi-system with the in-built bluetooth feature. Just wonder what make it is. Anyway, I guess the VW has put to rest a few of our burning issues regarding the ICE and blutooth sys. what say guys ?
Old 21st September 2010, 14:29   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRIKX View Post
Guys, check out the website - Volkswagen Konfigurator. It gives you a whole lot about the accesories available with the Vento, with a price list. I really liked the Navi-system with the in-built bluetooth feature. Just wonder what make it is. Anyway, I guess the VW has put to rest a few of our burning issues regarding the ICE and blutooth sys. what say guys ?
The Nav system with BT is only for 14k...thats good! I wonder where they will place this system, hanging on the windshield?? (hope not)
Old 21st September 2010, 14:50   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VW is digging into it's deep pockets to spend so much on a print ad campaign.
They might do better to dig deep for more results for the customer.

This speaking advert, by the way, frightened our maid this morning!
Old 21st September 2010, 15:03   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This speaking advert, by the way, frightened our maid this morning!
My mom thought it' a bomb
Old 21st September 2010, 15:41   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRIKX View Post
That's a great find buddy. Thanks for sharing it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks