Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 18:00   #616
Senior - BHPian

I went to see the Vento in flesh at VW Navi Mumbai and the car delivery will not happen before at least 3 months. So its the Polo story retold. Another thing is that there are no free services at all as told to me by the salesman. The Vento somehow did not exude the OOHs and the AAHs that came naturally to me and my family when I saw the City. In fact there is no difference at all compared to the Polo that was parked right besides it. The City seems a lot larger on the inside and the cabin seemed a lot more airy. IMHO if one is looking at the petrol, the City with free insurance seemed a lot more attractive than the Vento. The sales man was harping about the small service intervals of the City compared to the Vento.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:01   #617
Senior - BHPian

The power and torque graph for Vento Diesel downloaded fron official brochure is ambiguous.

How can an engine produce 0 torque and 0 power at 5500 RPM if it can go upto 5400 RPM. (as stated by GTO). VW shouldn't be providing any false statements like this. Or correct me if I am technically wrong.

Could not post the pic before due to conn problem. Sorry.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Attached Images

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th September 2010 at 20:31. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:20   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Wow that is amazing. This is a very interesting statistic. If this holds true with all the other owners also then I guess Honda better watch out. Finally "average kitna deti hain" really matters

I think these would be without A/c. However even so they are amazing for a spanking new recently delivered car having a 1.6 liter , 105 ps petrol engine. Looks like VW has a winner on their hands. Just imagine once the engine "runs in" (maybe I am missing the terminology) the figures tend to improve and then flatten out. So even if this car manages to touch 20 without A/c for highway conditions it would be a promising proposition for VW.

@diptimanraje - How are the comfort levels especially for long drives ? Also what is the wait time if one were to book in the next maybe 10-15 days ? Is it a long wait like it was for the Polo ?
the f.e. figure is with the a.c. on all the time. i do not roll down the windows ever so the a.c. in the car is always on.
we own the diesel highline.
long drives on the highways or on bad roads are comfortable, but she is more enjoyable on the highway. my father owns an m.b. and all of us love to travel in it. my wife calls the vento a poor mans merc.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:50   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
Now the part about the Vento not feeling like a proper German car, well i did 120kph and i could feel the vibrations through the pedals and the gear. There is wobble feel in around 120-125kph similar to what i experienced with Cruze but with Vento it does not go away as it did with Cruze and no a real German would not have this.
This is bit scary. I was taken my Palio to 150kph and car is absolute gem even at these speeds. Can someone please confirm if they have also seen this or this is a problem with only one car?

diptimanraje : Can you please confirm this if you driven your car at 120kph or above?

Last edited by windsurfer : 14th September 2010 at 19:55.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:12   #620
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to drive Vento yesterday , and boy , I am pretty impressed .
Here's a short test drive report :

Looks :
Head on , leaving the air dam and round fog lamps , the car looks exactly like the POLO , which isn't a good thing , but isn't a bad thing either , as they look exceptionely fantastic . The boot is nicely tucked in , and the overall design is simplistic yet classy .

Cabin :
Back seat first , because , thats where most significant change lies . The back seats are extremely comfortable , the cushioning is spot on , great under thigh support and leg room . Come to front seats and like POLO , the front seats are comfortable with good bolstering. The overall fit and finish is great , tad better than the CITY . But whats disappointing is the way , the central console looks ! Its a bit bland . Also , the beige - black on polo looks better than the bray - beige .

Gearbox :
On both petrol and diesel , the gearbox is pretty good . The action is pretty smooth. Though , the one on petrol is better one , and I found the diesel one had a lil clunkyness in it

Engine , Ride :
I am suprised , how silent the diesel unit is , than the earlier pump duse found on skoda's . The refinement and smoothness is top notch. No frequent gear changes needed on the diesel. The torque is well spread .
The petrol unit on the other hand is smooth , though the vtec on CITY is a far better unit. Engine gets a bit vocal when revved hard , but under normal driving conditions , the engine is pretty smooth and sufficient power is on tap , with some gear changes.

The ride is simply top notch , and it glides over the bad roads.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:55   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Went to the VW Cochin dealer today. Had two petrol variants for TD. Diesel variant will be available from tomorrow.
Delivered it's first Petrol Vento yesterday. More to follow this week. Unfortunately, Diesel deliveries will start only by the end of Sept. They promised that I am in that slot.

Got the official receipt from them. 10.49L in total. That will definitely leave a big hole in my pocket.!
Hey Naveen.raju. Did you make a priority advance booking for the Vento ?. If so, when did you do it?. I ask this only because I am one among the guys who had made a priority advance booking for a Diesel Highline Vento in July,2010 and the VW cochin dealer is yet to get back to me with a concrete delivery date. Anyway, I will push them harder. I'm only too Happy for you mate. You seem to have clicked the right buttons. So, what colour did u choose ?. Any idea about the accessories prices?. Hope you get your hands on the Machine as early as possible. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:13   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRIKX View Post
Hey Naveen.raju. Did you make a priority advance booking for the Vento ?. If so, when did you do it?. I ask this only because I am one among the guys who had made a priority advance booking for a Diesel Highline Vento in July,2010 and the VW cochin dealer is yet to get back to me with a concrete delivery date. Anyway, I will push them harder. I'm only too Happy for you mate. You seem to have clicked the right buttons. So, what colour did u choose ?. Any idea about the accessories prices?. Hope you get your hands on the Machine as early as possible. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Hey,
Yep, I did a priority booking during the Mid of July. Paid 1L in advance too.
They did come to my house for the booking, after that they disappeared (as I had expected). Called them up few times asking them to send the official quotation so that I can move ahead in taking the bank loan. No news.! Went straight to the showroom yesterday to collect it. As expected, the showroom was crowded with no sales executives to greet me .

Finally got the quotation. They will start the Diesel deliveries only from the last week of Sept. Am expecting to receive mine during the 1st week of Oct since am in the first 30 bookings (as they had mentioned - no idea whether it's true).
I opted for the black Diesel HL. Checked out the Petrol HL yesterday. The seats are really light in color so planning for the leather seats. VW Cochin quoted 25k for the leather seats. Planning to go for them.
As of now, they wont be providing any freebies. Think we will have to get the mud flaps, interior rubber mats too.
Think mud flaps will cost around 900 and rubber mats around 1.7k

PS - Dont not expect a call from them as of now. Run behind them and try to confirm that your car is in the first slot. I had to do this because I already got the number for the car and is valid for only 3 months

BTW, which variant did you go for and the color? All the best dude.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:56   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The power and torque graph for Vento Diesel downloaded fron official brochure is ambiguous.

How can an engine produce 0 torque and 0 power at 5500 RPM if it can go upto 5400 RPM. (as stated by GTO). VW shouldn't be providing any false statements like this. Or correct me if I am technically wrong.

Could not post the pic before due to conn problem. Sorry.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
I would assume the red line starts at 5500 rpm and engine (fuel supply) is cut off at that speed resulting in no power and torque. Most manufacturers would truncate the power-torque curve just before the red line begins.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:01   #624
BANNED

I have really gone crazy of Vento. The Palace Cross showroom is near my house. So I keep going there just to have a look at the VENTO.

Here is one pic of Vento and Polo together. Vento did look a bit small for me today.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-spm_a0046.jpg  

Old 15th September 2010, 19:34   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I would assume the red line starts at 5500 rpm and engine (fuel supply) is cut off at that speed resulting in no power and torque. Most manufacturers would truncate the power-torque curve just before the red line begins.
I thought fuel cut is not gradual but sudden (at least in petrol) which can create jerks or vibration. Here the figure shows a gradual fuel cut which means none of these are going to happen.
Old 15th September 2010, 20:56   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

The white Vento looks SO gorgeous...I am almost tempted to break my rule of no blacks and whites in my cars!
Still impateitnly awaiting the first of the ownership reviews. diptimaraje, naveen_raju, hurry up, guys!
Old 15th September 2010, 21:01   #627
BHPian

Got my hands on a HL diesel today evening at Palace Cross. Unfortunately, there was a lot of traffic and I got it only for a km. So couldn't go above 40km/hr :(

- Handling was good.
- A little lag was there, but acceptable.
- I really want to try again before I comment on overall performance. But initial feel was positive. Hopefully this sunday!
- Steering and gear were smooth.
- The indicator on the right bottom side of driver's seat is the tow alarm release (As ventoman? said before).

Then saw a Black diesel HL display car. Looks very good in black compared to Silver and White. But I am waiting to see her in Red. Hope red is a stunner!!. Not sure if they have one in Blore now!
Old 15th September 2010, 21:31   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Very true.

Quote:
I thought fuel cut is not gradual but sudden (at least in petrol) which can create jerks or vibration. Here the figure shows a gradual fuel cut which means none of these are going to happen.
After the Rev limiter sets in, engine RPM is gradually brought down & not suddenly.

VW or any other company for that matter, will not publish false statements. Why should they?
Old 15th September 2010, 22:01   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Very true.
After the Rev limiter sets in, engine RPM is gradually brought down & not suddenly.
I think you meant to say fuel is gradually cut down. Because RPM is not brought down It is not allowed to go any further.

In petrol fuel cut is sudden. As far as I know. If you do it gradually there will be instances where your car will run in lean fuel air ratio. Lean fuel air ratio always means engine overheating. And that too at high RPMs is just not acceptable. Infact they put too much rich mixture at the red zone so that you wont get proper combustion and resulting in less torque and the RPM wont advance any more.After that there is total fuel cut.
So its either a rich mixture or no fuel in petrol engines.

Now I get it.
So in diesel this is not necessary as engine cooling is not affected by fuel air ratio.

I was not saying VW was providing wrong information. I was only unable to comprehend the reason.

Last edited by oxyzen : 15th September 2010 at 22:03.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:42   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I went to see the Vento in flesh at VW Navi Mumbai and the car delivery will not happen before at least 3 months. So its the Polo story retold. Another thing is that there are no free services at all as told to me by the salesman. The Vento somehow did not exude the OOHs and the AAHs that came naturally to me and my family when I saw the City. In fact there is no difference at all compared to the Polo that was parked right besides it. The City seems a lot larger on the inside and the cabin seemed a lot more airy. IMHO if one is looking at the petrol, the City with free insurance seemed a lot more attractive than the Vento. The sales man was harping about the small service intervals of the City compared to the Vento.
From what I understand, VW has not been able to source most of the components in India as per their QC. Obviously this takes time to get everybody satisfied. I think apart from tyres, glass & forgings, everything is unfortunately still imported. Hence the wait.

No free services or anything free, not even mud flaps. These are early days of course. But doesn't make a difference so long as it applies equally to old and new customers.

I knew from day one that the Vento is not a car where others would look and say: "Yeh kya hai?". It is a sedate car, no doubt. We own a Polo 1.6, but I wish I had my own two hands on a Vento 1.6 diesel.

The reason why I actually answered this post is because I toyed with buying a City earlier this year and the Jazz also briefly, thanks to adimicra. I believe you cannot compare VW with Honda just like that. I would suggest you check both these vehicles out. For some, the sum may be less than the sum of the parts. Whereas for others, the sum may be MORE THAN the sum of the parts.

End of the day, the Indian market is a brutal one. Price a model wrong to begin with and this market just doesn't buy AND you do not have car rental companies to buy the car to cover your mistake unlike the US. Case in point, the Ford Fusion, a car I absolutely loved (but never owned). The Jazz is now with discounts and I understand the City is too. You won't believe but I called the Honda dealer earlier this year and he was not bothered to respond but the same dealer is very eager now. Discounts were also out of the question a few months ago, but he looks pretty open right now.

PS: SPARKled, my apologies if you feel like I am ranting at you. I just happened to pick your post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks