Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 18:44   #241
BHPian

One of the greatest reviews that i have read till date. Good job GTO!

The cars are good. especially the diesel. Me feels the vento is gonna impact all the cars in that segment but not to a great extent.The most important factor for the success of vento will be A.S.S and maintenance costs and it is going to take quite a while for VW to prove that. The localisation as claimed by VW for vento is only 60%.

The second factor will be introducing the mid variant (comfortline) variant.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:48   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Well said my friend ! Interesting comparison. Its a lifestyle decision i guess, you pay more for Honda because of the Brand Image and Clean Styling. But for the 1st time, heres's a car with an equal amount of Brand respect and probably equally attractive styling.
Exactly! A mac is all about the design and the experience. Why else would anyone pay 15-20% premium for the same specs?

This is exactly what's happening with the Honda. But you're right...any serious ANHC buyer would pause before signing on the dotted line when he sees the Vento.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:55   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
I think buying a Honda is like buying a mac. You know you're paying more, but you do so knowing that the mac is very different from a PC.

Try telling a mac owner that Windows is better than OSX...and then watch the sparks fly!!
Lol. I don't think so. Buying a mac is like a BMW not like a Honda. Honda is just like buying a Sony Vaio, same windows OS with same problems but in a premium shell.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:59   #244
BHPian

GTO...I was waiting for this review and as usual, you have covered every spec .

I do have request though, my dad was interested to switch his aging accent for a more enthusiastic and less lethargic car. I've always maintained, at his price bracket, you couldn't beat the ANHC. He wasn't much of a fan of the auto box though but I got him to test drive the automatic ANHC and he was floored.

I stalled him until now for your review on the Vento and I’m quite happy with it but my concern was some of you colleagues noted that the autobox wasn’t that eager? I’m not sure if you can answer me now or after you drive it yourself but you think this should be a better bet than the City?
Old 17th August 2010, 19:01   #245
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, thanks for the many 5 star thread ratings, team.

Lets leave the premature discussions on the ANHC out. That said, fact is Honda is in for a tough fight. I've been a staunch supporter of the ANHC's value proposition. As mentioned in my review, the City has 14 years of goodwill....and a ready market that knows it gets an all-rounder. Power, space, fuel efficiency, stupendously high reliability and excellent residuals. A complete no-nonsense sedan. The Vento, on the other hand, brings to the table a more complete package. Better build, quality, equipment, ride and handling. VW is equally a premium brand. I'm wiping my hands in glee waiting to run a sales analysis in the near future. It's going to be a heck of a battle between the two giants...and the only one who gains is I, the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I was in my ANHC..... After a nasty traffic snarl one of the Vento tried racing but it was far too easy for me to keep ahead
We should have encountered each other, I in the diesel Vento of course

Quote:
With your stats and review on Diesel engine Toyota Altis-D is in for a big shocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The Diesel looks like a winner no doubt and where does this leave the poor Altis Diesel. Man!!
I don't entirely agree with that. As I stated in my Toyota Altis 1.4 D4-D review, its performance is equivalent to 2 segments below. However, its targetting the customer who couldn't care two hoots about performance. Toyota diesels have built a formidable reputation in India and that's not easy to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
Now what i have noticed is, the vento is invisible to the crowd. I have spotted ventos in smaller towns, villages, city centres, IT parks and around but this vehicle doesnt draw a second look from any average individual. (Barring the auto-enthusiasts)
Completely agree. One of the rare test-drives where no stranger stopped and asked me "How much", "When is it launching" or "Whats the fuel efficiency"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I guess the Vento OEM stereo is similar to the one in the Polo? I actually think ANHC's OEM stereo is quite good.
Hey, I listen to a setup that includes 3 amps and two subs every day. There's a reason I dismiss nearly every OEM stereo out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Vento highline auto ex-thane price is 9 lakhs which is 1.4L cheaper than City V AT !
I doubt the difference is so much. A quick check tells me 60 grand ex-Bombay. Either ways, the VW is made in Maharashtra, and pricing in the local state is always an exception rather than the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer View Post
To my mind, If it is a review from GTO then it has to be the best, touching all the practical aspects that one would like to know before buying a car.
Thanks! I do try to focus on what the everyday buyer is looking for, instead of only talking about how she feels at 180 kph.

Quote:
They could have have even used the Innova diesel and plonked it into the Altis
They couldn't. Among other things, the Innova is a RWD layout while the Altis is a FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Also, is the option for adjusting the the front seat only on the left side or is for both the front seats? Surely it wouldnt be safe fidgeting the drivers seat from the rear!
Only the front passenger seat. Haven't you noticed, "sethias" don't sit right behind the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7 View Post
I stalled him until now for your review on the Vento and I’m quite happy with it but my concern was some of you colleagues noted that the autobox wasn’t that eager?
Again, I didn't get a chance to drive the AT Vento (drive was split between the Petrol & Diesel MT), thus I cannot comment for sure. However, other reviews who drove the car were complaining about sluggish response from the slushbox.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2010 at 19:04.
Old 17th August 2010, 19:50   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
Sorry, didn't get that. Are you talking about engine sound at high revs?
Good god no! Engine Guard ( some people prefer to call it 'Sump Guard' which is theoretically meant to protect underneaths of Engine as well as Gear Box) is a protective sheet used beneath the oil chamber of engine, so that there is minimal or no damage is caused to it by stones,rocks,etc.Many car companies provide engine guard made of plastic,aluminium,etc but only a few provide real effective ones, made of couple of cms thick iron sheet.I am sure you will agree that engine guard is absolutely necessary in Indian setting. It would really be quite interesting to know, which car manufacturers provide effective engine guard across the models spectrum!
ANHC does not come with engine guard, rendering it vulnerable on our roads outside metros,highways,etc.
Old 17th August 2010, 19:52   #247
Senior - BHPian

Half pager ad today on The Telegraph (Kolkata).
Vento Effect?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-city.jpg
Old 17th August 2010, 20:02   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Lol. I don't think so. Buying a mac is like a BMW not like a Honda. Honda is just like buying a Sony Vaio, same windows OS with same problems but in a premium shell.
Haha! Well, you get the point! But the BMW - Honda comparison would be like a Vertu versus an Iphone

The idea is that I think like Mac owners, ANHC owners are also a very vocal lot. I think it's worth mentioning at this point that apart from being a Honda owner (at least in a few days), I'm also a Mac junkie
Old 17th August 2010, 20:35   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
+1 to that..

Looks like both the Japanese companies want to fight it out in the premium segment..

Sony and Honda

1. Both are japanese.
2. Both are known for being best in what they offer (Best engines/Best video cameras, best tv tubes etc..)
3. Both command a premium over rivals.

Last but not least,

4. Both are threatened by competition (mainly korean ) that offers equal if not better products at better price points (Samsung, Hyundai)

5. What is weird though is competition is moving towards same price points!.. I hate Hyundai's offering lower spec cars at a premium price compared to competition.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:41   #250
BHPian

Quote:
4. Both are threatened by competition (mainly korean ) that offers equal if not better products at better price points (Samsung, Hyundai)
Oh yeah! Well the computer analogy was Apple - non-apple. Apple has always stuck it's nose in the air and shown two fingers to the competition. IMO, when it comes to build quality--nothing beats apple. In the car analogy (in the same segment), nothing beats the Honda.

Quote:
5. What is weird though is competition is moving towards same price points!.. I hate Hyundai's offering lower spec cars at a premium price compared to competition.
Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean the i10?
Old 17th August 2010, 20:49   #251
BHPian

On road prices for Vento in Trivandrum, Kerala. 788080 to 1048089.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Vento TVM.xls (7.5 KB, 696 views)
Old 17th August 2010, 21:07   #252
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
On road prices for Vento in Trivandrum, Kerala. 788080 to 1048089.
Wow 9 L on road for the TL is just a steal,the TL does not have much feature but still OK

Any idea how much it is in Chennai??
Old 17th August 2010, 21:43   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Half pager ad today on The Telegraph (Kolkata).
Vento Effect?
Tee hee hee to honda in addition, i think the ad is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Any idea how much it is in Chennai??
I know the onroad price of the Vento diesel in Chennai

Trendline: 9.16 L
Highline 10.55 L

Last edited by acidkill : 17th August 2010 at 21:47.
Old 17th August 2010, 21:58   #254
BHPian

Nice review and more importantly fantastic pics... Couple of questions -

1. Are the indicators and Wiper controls in the wrong side. I see the wiper controls on the right hand side.

2. How is the view in the side mirrors. I see them to be too small given the issues in the rear view mirrors.

3. Do i see the turning radius as 5.4m. City is much easier car to turn in our cities then.

Overall the pricing by VW is commendable. Honda in India have a real competition espcially with the Diesel head.

Last edited by balaji_n29 : 17th August 2010 at 21:59. Reason: Typo
Old 17th August 2010, 22:44   #255
Senior - BHPian

Thank you GTO for the awesome review. Simply too good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks