Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2015, 21:37   #7456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I have been using a VW Vento Highline TDI for the last three years. Recently came across an issue. The idle RPM has always been at 800. Recently I found that at cold starts it starts at 800 and within a minute goes to 1000 RPM. I have always driven with AC on and no other electric gadgets like radio, defogger etc are on. This higher RPM remains and once the engine is switched off and restarted ,say after five minutes, the RPM is at 800, but again rises to 1000 within a short time. I read in one of the forums here that a software update solves the issue, got it done, but the issue persists
Can any one tell me whether the same problems have been experienced and what was done for the same. Experts, please share your wisdom. Thanks in advance.

I recently came across the same problem. I have a re-mapped ECU and thought that something has gone wrong after running the car for 20k. If I rev the engine while driving to 4000 rpm and then idle it the revs come back to 800. Strange!! Can somebody please explain why this is happening?
Old 8th January 2015, 22:30   #7457
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
I recently came across the same problem. I have a re-mapped ECU and thought that something has gone wrong after running the car for 20k. If I rev the engine while driving to 4000 rpm and then idle it the revs come back to 800. Strange!! Can somebody please explain why this is happening?
For the last two days, my problem seems to have solved itself . Even after the software update, the problem persisted for about four days, but since yesterday, it seems to have resolved and now I have the normal 800 RPM idle. I cannot explain why this problem occurred. I had a highway trip day before yesterday and the problem seemed to have settled after that. Whether that trip did anything by way of resetting the ECU, I don't know.
But during this trip, another issue came up. While driving, the engine oil warning lamp came on, I stopped the car, restarted it and the warning lamp did not come on. However, it reappeared after sometime and again disappeared after switching off the engine and restarting. I called my service advisor, he asked me to check the oil level, which was okay, the engine was not overheating and it was driving normally. The oil warning lamp has shown normal behaviour since then. I am at a loss as to what would have caused the problem. Anyone with this experience?
Since the last two days, the car is at its best behaviour and since I am due to take it for service in a weeks time (3 yrs- 35500 Kms ) I plan to get things thoroughly checked. I have an extended warranty for one more year.
Old 9th January 2015, 00:30   #7458

Hi everyone.I drive a VW Vento petrol and i absolutely love the car. Recently i have noticed that the engine remains hot even afrer hours since i turned off the engine.
The bonnet lid also remains hot for a long period of time.i dont know whether this issue was there from the beginning. Because i havent checked it. The car has covered ~ 10k kilometers. I have checked the coolant level, engine oil level , radiator fan health and everything seems to be in order.
Can anyone tell.me.whether thier petrol ventos are also having the same issue that ?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 12th January 2015, 03:22   #7459
BHPian

Hi friends. I own a 2012 Vento TDI Highline which has clocked just over 30000 km and having the second servicing completed. Of recent I have noticed that about once in 3 days, upon the first start of the day, the car feels sluggish. I dont get the normal power and pick up, and the engine clatter is quite loud. Initially I thought it would be due to the Race Dynamics Tuning Box which I had been using since the car was 6 months old. So I disconnected the tuning box and reverted back to the original ECU settings, but found that this problem still exists. This happens just for that one start and lasts for about 4 to 5 kms, after which the engine clatter reduces and the normal pickup is regained. During this 4 to 5 kms the MID show an average consumption between 8 kmpl to 9 kmpl. The moment the power lag and the engine clatter disappears, the average increases to 11 kmpl and then slowly increases to around 13 to 14, depending on the Chennai traffic. I am using a K&N air filter, which has been cleaned. Has any one experienced this? I drive around 30 to 40 km daily.
Old 12th January 2015, 04:43   #7460
Senior - BHPian

Got the rear struts changed to TRW make
As i had reported earlier that my car used to bounce a lot, the rear struts were totally shot and had to get them replaced. Thanks to VW providing soft suspension in all their cars, went with TRW ones and can not praise them enough. A thousand times better than stock struts which used to bounce/bob and make that loud "thud" when they used to fly over undulations or speed breakers. Have even uploaded a video, you can visit my ownership thread for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3621115
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 08:38   #7461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Hi friends. I own a 2012 Vento TDI Highline which has clocked just over 30000 km and having the second servicing completed. Of recent I have noticed that about once in 3 days, upon the first start of the day, the car feels sluggish. I dont get the normal power and pick up, and the engine clatter is quite loud....This happens just for that one start and lasts for about 4 to 5 kms, after which the engine clatter reduces and the normal pickup is regained.
As I own Rapid TDI which owns identical engine, let me try to answer your question.
The behavior you are noticing is due to cold start. I guess this behavior does not repeat in the evening say after 6-7 hrs of gap (read engine is switched off for those many hours). If your answer is Yes, you don't have to worry.
Another point to note is don't push the engine (don't lug) during the morning cold start and keep the rpm below 2000. After say 3-4 kms engine will be warmed up and noise also comes down.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 15:59   #7462

Off late since the second service I have been experiencing lot of vibrations on the pedals and steering wheel. Specially at the 12'o clock position of the wheel. It is only between rpm of 1.5-2k and disappears after that. Can someone comment on the same? Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:09   #7463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasnb View Post
Off late since the second service I have been experiencing lot of vibrations on the pedals and steering wheel. Specially at the 12'o clock position of the wheel. It is only between rpm of 1.5-2k and disappears after that. Can someone comment on the same? Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue because of defect in the steering column. It was changed under warranty FOC by the service centre after complaining 3-4 times and raising the issue with VW.
CRV2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 16:26   #7464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I have declined their offer and escalated to Mr. Amit from VW customer care. Awaiting for his feedback.
Couldn't post an update last week on the issue. After talking to the service manager and VW, finally they offered me a 100% goodwill on the fuel injectors with the cost of labor (INR 2000) being borne by me. I have taken additional RSA cover as well.

He indicated that this has been approved by VW only in my case given lesser kms completed.

The delivery was handled silky smooth by the dealership personally attended to by their service manager. The threw in a car wash before delivery and a call the next day after delivery as to how to vehicle has been performing.

I have driven it for a little over 200 kms and the engine noise and pickup is like how it was before. Good to have the vehicle back.

Quote:
Dear Sir,
Greetings for the Day...!!
As discussed over phone, we are pleasure to offer you 100% goodwill on the effected injectors.
It is purely approved based on the customer loyalty and history of your vehicle.
Hence as discussed, we are going ahead to perform the repair work and closing your concern as you confirmed.

Kindly acknowledge the same.
Any further assistance, please feel free to call us @ 24X7

Thanks & Regards,
Sreekanth V
Manager- Service
Volkswagen Deccan-After Sales
Mody Auto Ind Pvt Ltd
thenomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 11:53   #7465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Couldn't post an update last week on the issue. After talking to the service manager and VW, finally they offered me a 100% goodwill on the fuel injectors with the cost of labor (INR 2000) being borne by me. I have taken additional RSA cover as well.
Great. So perseverance shows good result. There is a point at which many people normally give up the fight. You are one notch above that. All the best. Keep revving.
Old 13th January 2015, 14:39   #7466
BHPian

My Vento TDI has done 21,000+ kms. I used to feel even the minor undulations in the road carried to the cabin at times - particularly mornings. I started feeling this even when I had completed 8000 kms. When I consulted VW service, they claimed that they were not able to reproduce the issue.

I someway feel that is due to the tyres, as the rubber seems to be hard, which is confirmed by a tyre vendor who attended a puncture. However he is not sure whether all appollo acceleres are like that. Any thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
And they will wonder why in the world it is not selling well! Cosmetic upgrades go only so far. Unless they make some significant ICE or interior upgrades, it will feel exactly like the current Vento. (Note: the current Vento is quite well put together. I drive one)

2020 is when the Vento will move to MQB? I guess by then, their next platform will be already in production. So, we'll possibly get a platform that's two "versions" behind.

I'd not expect VW to play such a cheap game. Leave that to Hyundai and Maruti.
Well said! When VW moved to the 1.5 TDI which is completely made in India, there was a notion that teh cost savings will be passed on to the customer thru a beefed up equipment/feature list. But VW certainly disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
I think its about damn time they change the design of the Vento. It didn't look futuristic when it first came out and its certainly starting to look dated right about now.
All across the globe, Polo looks much the same and only few updates made to the exteriors. Still its is one of the designs the whole world likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromal View Post
That's a lot of time considering VW is doing passenger car business, not truck business
The interiors of Vento now felt too old, The feature list is very basic, Even though we call exterior design timeless, We have been seeing it for the past five years.
For someone who has spent 13L for the diesel DSG variant, the car will feel too basic. Vento badly need better designed interiors, better space inside, & more equipment list for sustaining Indian market.

Is that what you think about Maruti & Hyundai? All their cars in India are brand new models. Unlike Toyota, Fiat or VW they are very fast to bring new products to India & never sell decade old products here.
When I do agree with you on the sparse equipment list, I do not agree that Maruti/Hyndai bring new models to India. Maruti or rather Suzuki's models are mostly made for India. We do not get all the Hyundai's models and mostly the models sold in India are cut down - made to a price models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
And by not playing the 'cheap game' what is the market share VW enjoys in India sir - 3%-4%? It is about understanding what typical Indian customers (segments) want (not what they need - which is quite presumptious), manufacturing it at a reasonable cost and then pricing it competitively. VW and Skoda has failed miserably on all three counts. For a sedan that sells in the 13 lakhs range, Vento fails in any basic feature-to-feature comparison. And I still dont understand why VW Jetta and Skoda Octavia sell at 23-24 lakhs while comparable cars from Toyota/Hyundai sell below 20 lakhs. This is at least 15% higher for significantly lower available breathing space/volume inside the car.
I am not sure whether you own or drive a Vento. However what the Indian customer wants is typically flawed. For example, India's best selling premium hatchback - MS Swift failed the crash test and rated unstable. Even adding airbags/ABS would not fix this. However the European version is rated as safe car. So certainly MS had understood what the Indian Customer looks for in a car.

I bought a Vento not for its looks or feature list. I bought it for its build quality, the sheer driving pleasure it brings, safety, stability, comfort (read it as less body roll, less vertical movement etc.), handling and other essential stuff that is mandatorily expected in a car. However MS, Hyundai, Toyota and Honda add a lot of features which are extraneous and woo the less informed Indian customer.

However I still feel Vento can be better kitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Just one word to describe existing Vento-bland. Boring. Totally plain vanilla. Put it next to a Verna or City see how boring it looks. VW owners may call it understated looks. But I wonder if word has come to be a euphemism fro boring looks. Those tail-lights look so ugly. Polo looks much much better in comparison. They just need to do up the exterior styling and lines. And is it too much to expect a little bit of chrome from them?
Suddenly lot of bashing on Vento.
Even after 2 years, I still love the looks of my Vento. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. :-)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th January 2015 at 15:11. Reason: Back to back post. Please go through board rules.
Crank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 16:38   #7467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I am not sure whether you own or drive a Vento. However what the Indian customer wants is typically flawed.

However I still feel Vento can be better kitted.
Well... you nailed it chief. But funnily, VW too believes so, ignoring the convenient fact that they have got a business to run and not condition customers to they should be needing (be a Roman in Rome, eh?).
Old 13th January 2015, 18:46   #7468
BHPian

Quote:
My Vento TDI has done 21,000+ kms. I used to feel even the minor undulations in the road carried to the cabin at times - particularly mornings. I started feeling this even when I had completed 8000 kms. When I consulted VW service, they claimed that they were not able to reproduce the issue.

I someway feel that is due to the tyres, as the rubber seems to be hard, which is confirmed by a tyre vendor who attended a puncture. However he is not sure whether all appollo acceleres are like that. Any thoughts on this?
I had used Acceleres in my Vento upto about 13000 kms. Hadn't faced any undulations as such. However, while hitting the highways at about 100kph during wet conditions there's this rather unsettling loss of traction felt when running over medium sized puddles of water. Frankly, the Apollos don't do justice to the Vento's dynamics. The front left tyre bursted upon falling into a pothole. Wasted no time in replacing all 4 Apollos for Michelin XM2 195/65R15 and it makes a lot of difference! Ride is much more sorted and the stability is awesome
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 07:49   #7469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
I had used Acceleres in my Vento upto about 13000 kms. Hadn't faced any undulations as such. However, while hitting the highways at about 100kph during wet conditions there's this rather unsettling loss of traction felt when running over medium sized puddles of water. Frankly, the Apollos don't do justice to the Vento's dynamics. The front left tyre bursted upon falling into a pothole. Wasted no time in replacing all 4 Apollos for Michelin XM2 195/65R15 and it makes a lot of difference! Ride is much more sorted and the stability is awesome
Contrary to your experience, I feel the Acceleres have good grip. I have driven at 130 kph in wet conditions that too into puddles without losing grip or traction. As mentioned previously, my only gripe is the tyre movements felt in the cabin. For example, if the tyre moves over a small stone, I will certainly feel and know that, which is unpleasant.
Old 14th January 2015, 08:30   #7470
BHPian

Quote:

Contrary to your experience, I feel the Acceleres have good grip. I have driven at 130 kph in wet conditions that too into puddles without losing grip or traction. As mentioned previously, my only gripe is the tyre movements felt in the cabin. For example, if the tyre moves over a small stone, I will certainly feel and know that, which is unpleasant.
That's a surprise,as quite a few of my friends have complained about the same in their Ventos as well.Come to think of it, with Michelins, that uneasy feeling of stones squirming under the tyre is present, although it's much more subdued than the Apollos. Also I am using 195/60R15,not 65. Previous one was a typo!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 14th January 2015 at 08:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks